How can you adjust the Mid for the Audio System??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you adjust the Mid for the Audio System??

Hi All,

I just bought 2011 Acura TL AWD w Tech Package.
I have a question. I can adjust Bass and Treble but cannot increase/decrease Mid. Does anyone know how to do this?
I like my mid at -5.
Can someone please help? Is there any way to do this?

KK
Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
This setting does not exist in the factory headunit controls.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
6th Gear

Do you think if I take it to the dealer they might be able to adjust it from the back end or something?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Instructor

No, I don't believe the dealer will do anything but this if you go and start asking about adjusting the audio beyond what the factory settings allow.

You will need to go to a decent audio installer if you want to start tweaking things like that.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean when you say "I like my mid at -5"? I assume that means that in a previous system in a different car you liked the sound when you adjusted that stereo's mid control to -5. Every car / stereo / speaker set up is different. A setting of - 5 in one car could sound great, and then if that setting existed in a different car it could sound bad. Even the term "mid" doesn't mean anything - it is completely arbitrary. We wouldn't know if both systems adjust the same frequency, or with the same Q value or to the same amplitude (a "5" in one car could be 3 dbs while in another car it could be 6).

Instead of trying to chase the magical "mid - 5" I think that it would be more helpful to hear your opinion on the sound of the current car - what do you like vs what don't you like. Then we can help to offer suggestions / solutions. If it turns out that you do want the midrange frequencies to be lower then I would offer the following suggestions:
1) turn up the treble and the bass so that the mid range is at a lower relative level.
2) assuming you are listening to 2 channel instead of 5.1 - adjust the fader to the front and lower the level of the center channel - you won't lose any "information" since your 2 channel source is still fully intact, but you will remove the additional midrange sounds of 3 of the 5 midrange speakers.
3) disconnect the speakers in the rear doors (which I personally plan to do, but for imaging purposes)

- Kris
justnspace (08-23-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
6th Gear

The mid is usually the vocals in a song. I like the vocals to be in the background mild and soft, while i want my bass and treble to dominate. Now that the mid cannot be controlled from the interface, I find the vocals too prominent and distracting.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop and rap. Most cars I saw will allow the users to adjust Bass, Mid and Treble. In the TL it allows me the adjust Bass and Treble from -5 to +5. What I dont get is that why do they not allow me to adjust the mid? Did they just decide that for me? That mid should always be set at 0?

Anyway.. not very happy with the car, the transmission is jerky.. the sound system is bad. I should have gone with an Audi A4 :'(

On another note.. can you return the car to the dealer?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by k1ran99
Anyway.. not very happy with the car, the transmission is jerky.. the sound system is bad. I should have gone with an Audi A4 :'(

Yes, it is called a trade-in.

Everything you are complaining about could have been found in a comprehensive test drive. Just sayin'

There is a reason why Acura's ELS system in the TL is ranked as one of the best audiophile systems on the market.

Last edited by fleming23; 08-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.
CTACURA23 (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM
10th Gear

Hi All,

I just bought 2011 Acura TL AWD w Tech Package.
I have a question. I can adjust Bass and Treble but cannot increase/decrease Mid. Does anyone know how to do this?
I like my mid at -5.
Can someone please help? Is there any way to do this?

KK
Wow I find it shocking that you consider the ELS system to be lacking while it is widely criticaly acclaimed as the single best audio system available. In regards to your question about tuning the "mid", it is possible. There are 3 tunings available which are:

Treble +/_ Highs

Bass+/_ Mids

Sub+/_ Lows
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Why does this sound trollish to me?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
6th Gear

I bought a TL for over 40K and am very disappointed. I agree I should have done a more comprehensive test drive. My fault.

I am not happy with the jerky transmission and the audio system that does not let me configure the settings according to my taste. I owned and Audi for the last 5 years and wanted to try something different.

Most ppl here, I am assuming, have not driven or owned an Audi hence do not understand my disappointment. I dont care what other audiophiles feel. TL's audio system is not clear and crisp. The bass has a thump thump instead of a boom boom. If you want to know what I am talking about, test drive an Audi.

I am thinking of trading the TL for an A4. I might lose arnd 5K atleast but I dont want to be stuck driving a car that I am not happy with. Thanks for all you guys help. Appreciate it.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CTACURA23
Wow I find it shocking that you consider the ELS system to be lacking while it is widely criticaly acclaimed as the single best audio system available. In regards to your question about tuning the "mid", it is possible. There are 3 tunings available which are:

Treble +/_ Highs

Bass+/_ Mids

Sub+/_ Lows
If you see the curve (graph) that pops up when you click Sound Setup, you will see that the mid is stuck at 0 and cannot be adjusted. I will try and take a pic of it and post it here if you want me to. Let me know if I am wrong.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Acura-Too-Loud

2) assuming you are listening to 2 channel instead of 5.1 - adjust the fader to the front and lower the level of the center channel - you won't lose any "information" since your 2 channel source is still fully intact, but you will remove the additional midrange sounds of 3 of the 5 midrange speakers.
3) disconnect the speakers in the rear doors (which I personally plan to do, but for imaging purposes)

- Kris
Can you please elaborate on how to do number 2 and 3? I want to give this a try.

What I mean when I dont like mid is that the vocals are too prominent. I want the vocals to be soft, and in the background. I like the bass and treble to be the dominant players. How can I do this? I am not able to listen to my fav. music. I have resorted to listening to House Music since its the only music that does not have vocals in it.
And I hate house music.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Most ppl here, I am assuming, have not driven or owned an Audi hence do not understand my disappointment. I dont care what other audiophiles feel. TL's audio system is not clear and crisp. The bass has a thump thump instead of a boom boom. If you want to know what I am talking about, test drive an Audi.

I am thinking of trading the TL for an A4. I might lose arnd 5K atleast but I dont want to be stuck driving a car that I am not happy with. Thanks for all you guys help. Appreciate it.
Au contraire; Not only have I driven one, I have driven one hard. The A4 is nice, don't get me wrong but I don't feel the A4 or A5 are worth the expense and the Bang & Olufsen didn't sound as good as the ELS to my ears. Radio maybe, but not high quality content.
P9050013.jpg?t=1288299468P9050016.jpg?t=1288299468

In the end, this is the reason for so many automobile manufacturers. While you find aspects of this car horrible others find them superior.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine goes to 11
Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought it should be

Pressing Audio button
Press down on the control
Audio setup
Mid
turn all the way to your left to get to negative?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just touching on the "I like my mids recessed" question: it's all a relative curve isn't it? You want mids at -5...but -5 in comparison to what? If it's in comparison with your bass and highs, why not just max out both the bass and treble, you'll get that U-shaped curve you're after, and then listen at an overall lower volume?

Or just listen to Muzak. That will recess the vocals...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Racer

Treble +/_ Highs

Bass+/_ Mids

Sub+/_ Lows

, Great response!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow I find it shocking that you consider the ELS system to be lacking while it is widely criticaly acclaimed as the single best audio system available ...
and "quadraphonic" was equally hailed back in the early 70's when it was introduced. however, when you are dealing with systems that use sources that are stacked such as the early quad recordings and the (hard to find and limited in availability ... let alone titles) DVD-A's that allow the ELS to shine, the accolades tend to lose their significance ... which is why my TL has an MS-8 in the trunk.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

Here's the best way to get great audio. Replace the factory speakers with hig-quality speakers (I put Infinity speakers in mine). Then add a JL Audio 400w/4ch amp. You will have unbelievable audio in your ride.