Focal Access vs polyglass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Focal Access vs polyglass?

I'm having new speakers installed my 2010 TL tech I decided on the Focal line but not sure if I should get the entry level access or the next model up the polyglass?

Has anyone heard both? I hear the "entry" Focals sound better than most top off the line brands just not sure if I would notice the difference between the two and would hate to waste the money if I'm not going to notice the difference.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just scrap both of them and buy yourself a set of DLS components. You can thank me later.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
When it comes to car audio the FOREMOST consideration will be the amount you are looking to spend. You can get comps ranging from $50 up to $8,000 or more (crazy, but true)

While Focal is considered one of the higher end brands, you should really consider looking at DLS as mentioned above, but I am really going to have to recommend Dynaudio or Rainbow. Mind you, the decent sets will run you $700 - $900.

I don't know if the tech took this in to consideration, but you can't just "swap" speakers and expect them to run properly if the impedance is not matched...I don't know what impedance the 4G TL is running, but 3G TL has to use a 2-ohm model...and I wasn't aware that Focal makes 2-ohm comps.

Last point is...why even bother in the 4G? IIRC, didn't they win an award for best stock sound system? You will get MUCH better results by upgrading the sub and installing a sound processor in that model. My aunt has the 4G and DAMN. I would personally do subs and processor before even considering anything else.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I have the polykevlar K2Ps. If I could marry a component set, I'd consider it But seriously, I am extremely happy with these Focals.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_TL
Just scrap both of them and buy yourself a set of DLS components. You can thank me later.

Thanks for the reply, are the Focals bad speakers or something?

I'm having a custom enclosure built on Tuesday for my JL w3's I'm pretty sure I will have to upgrade the highs as well thats why I'm looking at replacing my factor speakers.

The 4g is 4ohm at least thats what my local stereo shop told me?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Focal is by no means a "bad" speaker. Its just that there are better quality products out there who may not advertise/market themselves in the states that much. Rainbow, DLS, and Dynaudio all make lovely products. I bought some DLS products on a whim without even hearing them in person. Simply said I will never buy another car speaker again.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I thought you had prettly much settled on how you were approaching your custom system, but it looks like you are heading in a different direction. Good luck and be careful not to have a "novice" installer experiment on your car. My advice to you to remembber that you "will" get what you pay for. Don't expect a major change if your are only spending a couple of grand. It will cost quite more than that if you are adding new speakers, keeping 5.1 (we already discussed in another post), and all of the OEM headunit functionality. Also, sound deaden the entire car or you will end up having rattles over the entire car.

I posted the ohms for all of the speakers but I don't see that post anymore. Will resend to you this evening.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Racer

See my new post on "TL Tech Package OEM Speaker Specs".
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brew0360
I thought you had prettly much settled on how you were approaching your custom system, but it looks like you are heading in a different direction. Good luck and be careful not to have a "novice" installer experiment on your car. My advice to you to remembber that you "will" get what you pay for. Don't expect a major change if your are only spending a couple of grand. It will cost quite more than that if you are adding new speakers, keeping 5.1 (we already discussed in another post), and all of the OEM headunit functionality. Also, sound deaden the entire car or you will end up having rattles over the entire car.

I posted the ohms for all of the speakers but I don't see that post anymore. Will resend to you this evening.
I'm having a repuatble stereo shop do my install in fact the built and installed my box today but I'm waiting a few weeks to do the highs in the car I have Focal polys on the way for the rear deck and on the hunt for the poly components or the K2's for the front.

I may go ahead and get the audison bit one but its pricey and the shop tells me I would use the audison controller not the factory navi interface to adjust the system? He also told me not to mess with the rear door and center ch speakers?

The Ohm specs on factory speakers would be great.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Racer

Depending on which K2 you choose, the tweeter may not fit in the OEM location without doing a modification. Do you research on the Bit One before spending you money and make sure that you have one with the most current firmware (you still may experience problems). What about sound deadening?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

My advice to you to remembber that you "will" get what you pay for. Don't expect a major change if your are only spending a couple of grand.
Please explain this. I could put together (and did) a RIDICULOUS system for a couple grand.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Racer

The proof is on your end. If you are purchasing everything new (changing all speakers), sound deadening the car and keeping the 5.1 functionality of the OEM headunit; how sould you do this for 2 grand? A price list of each item would be helpful.

The aftermarket speakers (Boston Z6's) in my 4 Gen Tech for just the front and rear deck are 2 grand alone.

I quess it comes down to individual preference. That's not a knock at what you have written.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Could someone explain to me about this Audison unit? I did some online searches after seeing some ref's to it elsewhere, and didn't come away with any firm ideas as to what it is all about. It sounds as if it's some sort of high-end processor, but based on the photos/write-up's I saw about it, I'm not convinced. Appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction, because I feel the major improvement to the stock system has to include the integration of some sort of equalization/processor. tks
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Racer

Check out the link below for the manual:

http://www.caraudio-store.de/news/bitone1-0.pdf
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

I quess it comes down to individual preference. That's not a knock at what you have written.
Deadening through GD, Dynaudio 8" 3-Way (forget the model #, wasn't cheap), Rainbow Audio SL165s in rear, Arc Audio 4150, 2500-XXK, and Alumapro Alchemy RX subs for about $2200.

Tap the USED market and you can put together a KILLER system. Car audio nuts are CONSTANTLY changing their gear. Be patient and you'll come out huge in the end.

If you insist on going new, well, get ready for damage...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Racer

I'm what you would call a car audio nut so I would never buy used. My aftermarket system in my 4 Gen has been completed (pics posted on another thread). My message stating "You get what you pay for" was for ALsAcura who was having his system professionally installed. You are at $ 2,200 used and he's buying new. I can't tell if you included some type of processing system after the OEM amp to keep the 5.1 in the 4 Gen. If not your price would go even higher.