ELS vs Boss

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,584 Likes on 954 Posts
ELS vs Boss

Hey guys,

I am not sure if this topic was already created or not but I have a quick question:

Which sound system is good ELS (Acura TL tech pack) or G37 (premium Boss)?

I read somewhere that the ELS is one of the best system in the market and beats Boss but not sure.

Thank you,
Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Els is not one of the best systems, never heard of Boss. Are you sure it's Boss and not Bose? Els is a Panasonic system and they don't do very well in the car audio field.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
Els is not one of the best systems, never heard of Boss. Are you sure it's Boss and not Bose? Els is a Panasonic system and they don't do very well in the car audio field.
ELS is generally regarded as one of the very best audio systems in the automotive world by audiophiles. See link below for one test, where ELS ranks #1 over the higher priced and over hyped Bose system, and among other systems.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...sound-off.html

Are you sure you have a 4G TL?

OP, sound is subjective, but in general Bose IMHO is overhyped and all name; ELS has a very balanced and natural sound with good clear bass, and is IMHO much much better than Bose.
The following 3 users liked this post by docboy:
dwest1023 (06-17-2014), Ken1997TL (06-16-2014), SilverJ (04-26-2015)
Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
Can the Boss system play DVD-A materials, like the 4G TL ELS does ?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I know the Bose us overhyped and you didn't see me even talk about it. The Els system is garbage and is not a quality system. To those who have gone from an Accord with honda crap speakers to a 4G it's a world of difference. It is how ever inferior to even Fords Sony system. As far as car audio Sony is at the bottom and Panasonic really doesn't even exist. The Bose sounds better in certain cars and crappier in others. Bose isn't going to put the same set up in an Altima as it would in any Infiniti. As for your link that subjective to that site. Continue to research and you will see the ELS is ranked at the bottom 90% of the time. That next thing I might do to my TL is rip that ELS out and go for a Hertz or Focal set up, with either JL or Alpine amps.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
What you've heard is correct. The ELS system is one of the best. It's highly accurate and tuned beautifully for the car and especially on DVD-A tracks it is really something special. Reviewers have historically raved about the ELS system and as Docboy points out, it won Edmunds' comparison of luxury car sound systems a couple of years ago. People who ride in my car who don't generally notice cars or sound systems are always impressed by the sound, and believe me, most of those people wouldn't say something nice just to make someone feel good.

I understand ELS has been upgraded in newer Acuras in the ELS Studio version, but I haven't listened to one of those. I have listened for a short while to the new Krell system in the RLX, and while the media played weren't terrific, it sounded very, very good in a short listen.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (06-14-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-unb...tems-597594908
Old 06-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

You understand #10 is at the bottom of that list, it also doesn't include other systems tested if any. They could have tested just those 10 and ranked them.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:39 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a good car audio system. I have had the Bose on the Infiniti, Rockford Fosgate on the Mitsubishi and now the ELS and I think they are all very mediocre!
Sound is subjective anyway so it's different for everyone.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,141 Likes on 816 Posts
^^^^^

Yes, there is. But it comes at a price. You get what you paid for.

Try the 7.1-channel surround-sound Mark Levinson Reference audio system on the Lexus LS sedan.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM
AZ Community Team

sorry i meant Bose.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Thanks for the info. No I am looking to buy one. I was comparing sound systems for TL Tech pack and Infiniti and I got mixed response. I just wanted to get some more info. I am 99% sure I will go with TL regardless of ELS is a good or bad sound system.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM

\Continue to research and you will see the ELS is ranked at the bottom 90% of the time. That next thing I might do to my TL is rip that ELS out and go for a Hertz or Focal set up, with either JL or Alpine amps.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/top-10-cars-for-audiophiles#slide-6

http://www.laaudiofile.com/newcar.html

I did a quick Google search and found 2 other sites that rank the ELS among the best. Sound is subjective, but your statement "they don't do very well in the car audio field" is blatant trolling.

Your losing more and more credibility claiming you have a TL.
The following 2 users liked this post by docboy:
Road-Rager 1 (06-17-2014), sockpuppet (06-16-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
ELS is decent but the truth is a lot of people just dont know what good audio is. Majority just hear a lot of bass and assume it's good, which is why so many regard bose so highly
Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docboy

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/top-10-cars-for-audiophiles#slide-6

http://www.laaudiofile.com/newcar.html

I did a quick Google search and found 2 other sites that rank the ELS among the best. Sound is subjective, but your statement "they don't do very well in the car audio field" is blatant trolling.

Your losing more and more credibility claiming you have a TL.
Um, ok I have posted pics of my TL, but whatever you say. Secondly I'm not trolling, look through some threads on here and many members dislike the ELS. It's a Panasonic system, they don't make a single thing that is considered high end or top notch in the audio field. That's in car or home. Now go look at actual audio websites and not subjective car sites. The proof is there, just by saying that it's a good system you lose points and credibility with me.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
ELS is decent but the truth is a lot of people just dont know what good audio is. Majority just hear a lot of bass and assume it's good, which is why so many regard bose so highly
The Bose and ELS are very muffled and just garbage systems. Bose does make a better system for higher end cars, like the Lexus Lfa. If you want hear some serious audio equipment, look into Mcintosh and utopia just for starters.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I have owned both g37 with Bose and TL with ELS. The ELS sounds better to my ears.

The Bose in the g37 is actually made by Clarion I think. Both are good for stock setup but the ELS is better.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Um, ok I have posted pics of my TL, but whatever you say. Secondly I'm not trolling, look through some threads on here and many members dislike the ELS. It's a Panasonic system, they don't make a single thing that is considered high end or top notch in the audio field. That's in car or home. Now go look at actual audio websites and not subjective car sites. The proof is there, just by saying that it's a good system you lose points and credibility with me.
There are also people who dislike a Harvard education, but they are regarded consistently as top notch. One can not please everyone, but a consistent repeated trend are what should be looked at and measured. I have yet to find a site/magazine/source that describes the ELS system as "garbage."

Link to thread with pics of your TL please?

The Bose and ELS are very muffled and just garbage systems. Bose does make a better system for higher end cars, like the Lexus Lfa. If you want hear some serious audio equipment, look into Mcintosh and utopia just for starters.
Lexus LFA does not use Bose. Lexus LFA uses Mark Levinson.

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/06/22/in-detail-the-lexus-lfa-mark-levinson-audio-system/
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
ELS is garbage... at least for those who listen to Hip Hop or EDM. Acoustic music it sounds very raw I enjoy it. I guess it depends on what you listen to and how you want your bass and treble and whatnot.
gibbyisgibby (06-15-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
ELS is garbage... at least for those who listen to Hip Hop or EDM. Acoustic music it sounds very raw I enjoy it. I guess it depends on what you listen to and how you want your bass and treble and whatnot.
I listen to a little bit of everything, the system is not fully refined. If it was so good the RLX would have or as it's top system. It uses a Krell system as it's top option.

As for the guy wanting to see my car, stop researching fanboy opinions and look for my pics and look for the bad reviews of the ELS.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 141 Posts
Continue to research and you will see the ELS is ranked at the bottom 90% of the time.
Where are you seeing this?

The ELS system is pretty good for a stock setup. Its nice having to not rip out all of the components to get decent sound compared to what comes in most cars.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is the ELS system in the 4.5g Acura TL comparing to the 2.5g Acura TSX. From what I read, the one in TSX is inferior to the one in TL. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Maybe our cars just don't have that much sound deadening and that's what ruins the sound quality.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
ive heard mark levinson system, in a new gs.. that is a nice sound system.. but the ELS is a good sound system for its price range and for being stock...
The following 4 users liked this post by potmilkz:
dwest1023 (06-17-2014), echodigital (06-15-2014), Jackieee_TL (06-15-2014), JT4 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Darko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both systems are decent when looking at stock systems and I have both. My nissan altima has a Bose and my TL has the ELS. If i had to choose between the 2 I would go with the Bose but if you truly love car audio like I do your going to want to add aftermarket speakers, subs, and amps. The stock audio was just not enough for me.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM

I listen to a little bit of everything, the system is not fully refined. If it was so good the RLX would have or as it's top system. It uses a Krell system as it's top option.

As for the guy wanting to see my car, stop researching fanboy opinions and look for my pics and look for the bad reviews of the ELS.

Krell makes high end audio components/products. ELS does not make products; Elliot Scheiner is a tuner, while Panasonic makes the components. Krell was chosen in the top of the line RLX because Acura wanted to be synonymous with a high end audio system and a high end audio name, much like what Lexus did when it first introduced Mark Levinson. Plus the ELS system still exists in the RLX.

And fanboy my a$$. I am far from being a "fanboy." I dissent my opinions, positive and negative, based on my actual experiences. The sites on sound systems I quoted above are neutral sites and have no ties to Honda, Acura, Panasonic, or any other auto/audio maker.

Care to share links of sites/sources that disparage the ELS?

And again I ask you, post a link where you posted pics of your TL.
The following 2 users liked this post by docboy:
Ken1997TL (06-16-2014), sockpuppet (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
To get the most out of ELS, you have to listen to DVD-audio. Admittedly, DVD-AUDIO is not that common, but what little there is makes mp3s and satellite radio sound like you have headphones on. I liked the ELS in my RDX, but honestly, I don't notice a difference after I "dowgraded" to the system in my TL-SE.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Sound systems are very subjective, ask 10 different people how they have their system set and you will get 10 different answers.
When looking at cars I liked the Mark Levinson in the GS350 system the best followed by the ELS in the TL and then the Bose in the G car. Keep in mind this is based on an old guy with a tin ear.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dlee337
To get the most out of ELS, you have to listen to DVD-audio. Admittedly, DVD-AUDIO is not that common, but what little there is makes mp3s and satellite radio sound like you have headphones on. I liked the ELS in my RDX, but honestly, I don't notice a difference after I "dowgraded" to the system in my TL-SE.
You hit the nail on the head. I only listen to DVD-A in my 13' TL because the sound blows my mind. Any other source and I might as well be listening in my Prius.
Anyone who bashes the ELS might have a valid point if they're not using DVD-A as their source.
What sucks is Acura is yanking DVD-A out of all their cars. What's the point of ELS or Krell without a high quality source?
The following 3 users liked this post by Cygnus_X1:
echodigital (06-15-2014), JT4 (06-16-2014), SteveBobo (08-01-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:30 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
ELS is way to limited in terms of tweaking for better sound. Wouldn't have killed them to give us a 5 or 7 band equalizer and maybe some DSP options.
Cause the way it is now is pathetic when you are playing from different sources!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Krell makes high end audio components/products. ELS does not make products; Elliot Scheiner is a tuner, while Panasonic makes the components. Krell was chosen in the top of the line RLX because Acura wanted to be synonymous with a high end audio system and a high end audio name, much like what Lexus did when it first introduced Mark Levinson. Plus the ELS system still exists in the RLX.

And fanboy my a$$. I am far from being a "fanboy." I dissent my opinions, positive and negative, based on my actual experiences. The sites on sound systems I quoted above are neutral sites and have no ties to Honda, Acura, Panasonic, or any other auto/audio maker.

Care to share links of sites/sources that disparage the ELS?

And again I ask you, post a link where you posted pics of your TL.
I'm very aware els doesn't make products, it's the name Panasonic/Acura gave to the Audio line going into the Acuras. I refer to it as an ELS system not product. I figured you would be able to understand that, with out me having to spell out, since the earlier conversation stated this firmly. And as I mentioned earlier Panasonic is not know for producing anything of quality in the home or car audio fields. A producer doesn't know the internal working of a speaker, they just know how to get the best sound out of the speakers they are given. Elliot Sheiner or however you spell his name is like the guy making you sandwich behind the counter. He didn't grow the vegetables, butcher the meat or make the sauces or what ever else. He just knows how to get it to work together.

You can go buy a JBL MS-8 and use crap speakers and make them sound superior to a better speaker. Now imagine if that guy used a brand known for their audio systems?

As for my pics, dig a little deeper and search around, there are a few on here. I'm not going to hand deliver them to you. If I wanted to know something you posted I would do a search. If you put more effort into your search and less into defending a system that isn't really that great you might get somewhere. I see you have no idea about car or home audio.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LNJ
ELS is way to limited in terms of tweaking for better sound. Wouldn't have killed them to give us a 5 or 7 band equalizer and maybe some DSP options.
Cause the way it is now is pathetic when you are playing from different sources!
If you added a processor to the stock system it would clear a lot of that garbage up. You hit the nail on the head for one of the biggest problems, when playing from different sources. The USB is also horrible on the 4G TL, splitters don't even work right.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 PM

I'm very aware els doesn't make products, it's the name Panasonic/Acura gave to the Audio line going into the Acuras. I refer to it as an ELS system not product. I figured you would be able to understand that, with out me having to spell out, since the earlier conversation stated this firmly. And as I mentioned earlier Panasonic is not know for producing anything of quality in the home or car audio fields. A producer doesn't know the internal working of a speaker, they just know how to get the best sound out of the speakers they are given. Elliot Sheiner or however you spell his name is like the guy making you sandwich behind the counter. He didn't grow the vegetables, butcher the meat or make the sauces or what ever else. He just knows how to get it to work together.

You can go buy a JBL MS-8 and use crap speakers and make them sound superior to a better speaker. Now imagine if that guy used a brand known for their audio systems?

As for my pics, dig a little deeper and search around, there are a few on here. I'm not going to hand deliver them to you. If I wanted to know something you posted I would do a search. If you put more effort into your search and less into defending a system that isn't really that great you might get somewhere. I see you have no idea about car or home audio.
So you still won't post any links to back up your statement "ELS has bad reviews" and pics of your TL (together with your Taurus SHO I might add). Your continuous refusal to post any actual links or pics, and continuing to give me the runaround, says more than enough.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:22 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by dlee337
^^ I agree the DVD-A sounds great, otherwise IMO the ELS is just a cut above some other stock systems.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
In the Mid range level systems the ELS is one of the best.

If your looking for higher end systems then the ELS doesn't come close.

For my daily usage it's perfect for acoustics, and talk radio with the occasional need to get bump in my trunk or shut the windows and ignore the world outside!
Brock79 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
As far as factory stereos go, the ELS Panasonic system is good and even excellent with the right source material.

I've had 3 different Acura's with the ELS system. '05 TL, '11 TSX and a '13 MDX.

And as someone who has been there, done that, don't listen to what Brock79 has to say about anything. His 'opinions' are all based upon bad information or some skewed agenda. Frankly, he's a troll.
docboy (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Would like to know what car in the $40-60k range with a better system.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
As far as factory stereos go, the ELS Panasonic system is good and even excellent with the right source material.

I've had 3 different Acura's with the ELS system. '05 TL, '11 TSX and a '13 MDX.

And as someone who has been there, done that, don't listen to what Brock79 has to say about anything. His 'opinions' are all based upon bad information or some skewed agenda. Frankly, he's a troll.
A troll I don't think so, try again. I have better things to do with my time than troll people.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C8N
Would like to know what car in the $40-60k range with a better system.
As many people have said sound is subjective, but I personally think the Sony system is better in fords, the THX systems in Lincoln's, mark levenson in Lexus and the Bose in vehicles in this price range. That's just four off the top of my head.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

So you still won't post any links to back up your statement "ELS has bad reviews" and pics of your TL (together with your Taurus SHO I might add). Your continuous refusal to post any actual links or pics, and continuing to give me the runaround, says more than enough.
"Says more than enough"? Your refusal to even bother with a search says enough about you. There is one pic in the photo section. In the post a pic of you TL. I don't remember the exact name of the thread but it's an ongoing thread and should be right at the top. You can look through all of the pages and find it. As for the other pics to search for them, they are on here and exist. If you don't bother, which you obviously haven't, it tells me more than enough about your fan bay ass.

Quick Reply: ELS vs Boss