DVD-A and DTS CD compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD-A and DTS CD compatible?

Does the latest TL have the ability to play DVDA and DTS-CDs in surround? They switched to Panasonic and I'm not sure the new head units can decode both format.

Also, the ILX has no subforum and I'm curious if it has these surround modes as well.

Anyone have the scoop?
Thanks!
Starmanj
Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
starman, yes, the TL can play DVDA and DTS-CDs in surround if you get the Tech package. I was able to take a 2012 home overnight a few days ago for an extended test drive and listened to the demo DVDA disc that was in the car quite a bit. The disc had Dire Straits - Money for Nothing on it and the drum intro was absolutely amazing. I think I lost a little hearing I had the volume up so high. The drums were coming from all sides and sounded perfect. From what I can tell on Acura's website, the ILX also has the same capability if you get the Tech package. I definitely recommend trying it out!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The Tech Package is almost worth it, just for this reason.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced

I have been constantly listening to the DVD-A sampler disc that came with my TL. I ABSOLUTELY love the 5.1 surround mix of "Money For Nothing" and "Fly Like An Eagle".
I've been trying to find the 25th Anniversary DVD-A of Brothers In Arms. I've only seen it used at this point for $200+! YIKES! I would love to have it, especially considering that was the very first album I bought when I was a kid.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
A friend of mine recently sent me his list of DVD-A's, and said I could copy them all if I want (and could figure out how), but with the watermarking and copyright protection on DVD-A's, I don't think it's feasible, so I won't bother. It's an impressive list, though. Mostly stuff I have on CD anyways; ethically, I have no problem with copying an out of print format, particularly when it's music I already own in another format...I'm just too lazy.

If I could figure out the copying (and I'm not soliciting the info here...I don't want to encourage discussion that could lean towards "illegal" activities), I'd try my London Symphony Orchestra, "A Night in Vienna". Bought it off eBay, and it reads as "unsupported" in my system. Can't help but wonder if the data is okay, but the disc flawed somehow.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

Because the format is basically dead, if you can find the DVD Audio discs, they're now very scarce and you'll pay a premium for them.
The following users liked this post:
dwest1023 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Because the format is basically dead, if you can find the DVD Audio discs, they're now very scarce and you'll pay a premium for them.
Sadly true. I recently bought 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' by Elton John for $24 on Amazon. Most of the other DVD audio discs are out of stock or used.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Sadly true. I recently bought 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' by Elton John for $24 on Amazon. Most of the other DVD audio discs are out of stock or used.
I'd be curious to know what you think of that disc. Growing up, my parents had a few "cool" records, including the Guess Who, The Who ("Who's Next"...still remember that album cover) and Elton John (the Taupin years), so I listened to Elton quite a bit. The local ballet company just did an Elton John tribute performance, so my interest has been refreshed.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Fantastic disc. I'm not a big Elton fan, my wife is, but the audio quality is phenomonally good!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
I just recently purchased Steely Dan Gaucho at Amazon for $15.00. Pretty good DVD-A.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell Greatest hits and the song Aint That Peculiar is awesome. Ive never heard that track sound like that. The mixing is supurb on that tract. That one song is worth the price of the whole disk.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Fantastic disc, Ken! Check out the "Extra Cuts" on the disc. There is a version of Candle in the Wind that will blow you away. It sounds great in the car too. It's the original vocals by Elton John, the original background vocals and ONE acoustic guitar. I play this version on the radio all the time and I always get tons of calls-it's truly amazing!

Plus, it comes with a 2nd disc. Pop it into your DVD player-it's the making of the album, "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road".....simply amazing.

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
I just recently purchased Steely Dan Gaucho at Amazon for $15.00. Pretty good DVD-A.
Steely Dan is one of the groups that "gets it" when it comes to high quality surround sound. Try any other of their discs-they're wonderfully mixed and are some of the best examples of 5.1 surround sound mixes!

Originally Posted by dwest1023
I have Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell Greatest hits and the song Aint That Peculiar is awesome. Ive never heard that track sound like that. The mixing is supurb on that tract. That one song is worth the price of the whole disk.
The Marvin Gaye Greatest Hits is outstanding.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Will this work in the 4G TL? I've been to several record stores and can't seem to find any DVD-A used in stock.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stars_fan
Will this work in the 4G TL? I've been to several record stores and can't seem to find any DVD-A used in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/HELL-FREEZES-O...l+freezes+over
Don't think so. From the description, it sounds like a DVD video, not DVD Audio. Likely just a concert video, with DTS sound accompanying the video.

That's the problem with shopping for DVD-A's; the descriptions are often so vague that one can't tell what it is.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Team Owner

No, that will not work. But the Hell Freezes Over DVD Audio disc will. That was a DVD Video.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DibbyD
... Dire Straits - Money for Nothing on it and the drum intro was absolutely amazing. I think I lost a little hearing I had the volume up so high. The drums were coming from all sides and sounded perfect. ...
that's my favorite too from the Demo disk
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Irish_Viking

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will SACD play in 5.1 in the '12 TL?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

^^^ No-SACD's are not compatible with with the DVD-Audio format and will not play in an Acura.
Livestrong_TL (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Irish_Viking

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ No-SACD's are not compatible with with the DVD-Audio format and will not play in an Acura.
Thanks Steve, I kinda figured as much but thought I'd try my luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
If you're a fan of Rush, the new re-release of their '2112' album came out today (12/18/2012), and it can be purchased anywhere as a CD+DVD-Audio package for around $20.

Once in a while, we get new DVD-A's. You just have to be aware of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
Livestrong_TL (12-19-2012), SteveBobo (12-19-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Irish_Viking

Originally Posted by oblio98
If you're a fan of Rush, the new re-release of their '2112' album came out today (12/18/2012), and it can be purchased anywhere as a CD+DVD-Audio package for around $20.

Once in a while, we get new DVD-A's. You just have to be aware of them.
Thanks for sharing Oblio, I'll have to check that out I'm looking at getting Metallica's Black album in DVD-A. The cheapest place I can find it is directly from their website.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Livestrong_TL
Thanks for sharing Oblio, I'll have to check that out I'm looking at getting Metallica's Black album in DVD-A. The cheapest place I can find it is directly from their website.
Yes, Metallica is cool in that they bought all of their DVD-A stock from WB/Rhino when they had a chance, so none of their Black Album DVD-A's were cut-out, and they could sell them directly from their web site so their fans would not have to pay the big bucks on eBay, although many do because they don't know about the website deal.

The new King Crimson re-release of their "Larks' Tounge in Aspic" just came out on DVD-A as well, and it sounds great in the Acura!
Livestrong_TL (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Irish_Viking

Yes, Metallica is cool in that they bought all of their DVD-A stock from WB/Rhino when they had a chance, so none of their Black Album DVD-A's were cut-out, and they could sell them directly from their web site so their fans would not have to pay the big bucks on eBay, although many do because they don't know about the website deal.

The new King Crimson re-release of their "Larks' Tounge in Aspic" just came out on DVD-A as well, and it sounds great in the Acura!
Do you know of a website that keeps track of all of the new DVD-A titles that are released? I'm hoping that some of the new artists jump on the DVD-A bandwagon again!!......wishful thinking though unfortunately. Have you heard the Metallica album in the Acura yet? If so, how did you like it? Are you referring to the RUSH 2112 box set? That's the only one I can find...and it's $50 on Amazon but with a bunch of extras I don't really want or need...haha

Last edited by Livestrong_TL; 12-19-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Livestrong_TL
Do you know of a website that keeps track of all of the new DVD-A titles that are released? I'm hoping that some of the new artists jump on the DVD-A bandwagon again!!......wishful thinking though unfortunately. Have you heard the Metallica album in the Acura yet? If so, how did you like it? Are you referring to the RUSH 2112 box set? That's the only one I can find...and it's $50 on Amazon but with a bunch of extras I don't really want or need...haha
No. You don't need the box set. It's available as a CD+DVD-A for around $20.

The Black Album sounds GREAT in the Acura!

Don't know of a list, but there have been 2 Emerson, Lake and Palmer re-issues this year with 5.1 DVD-A's, there was the Lynyryd Skynyrd Hits DVD-A, and I can tell you with great certainty there will be more next year.

You can also make your own 5.1 DVD-A's from DVD-V's or 5.1 Blu-Rays with programs like Discwelder or Circlina software.

http://cirlinca.com/
Old 12-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Irish_Viking

No. You don't need the box set. It's available as a CD+DVD-A for around $20.

The Black Album sounds GREAT in the Acura!

Don't know of a list, but there have been 2 Emerson, Lake and Palmer re-issues this year with 5.1 DVD-A's, there was the Lynyryd Skynyrd Hits DVD-A, and I can tell you with great certainty there will be more next year.

You can also make your own 5.1 DVD-A's from DVD-V's or 5.1 Blu-Rays with programs like Discwelder or Circlina software.

http://cirlinca.com/
I've seen this program posted before. Is it an easy thing to do creating your own DVD-A's? All I've read was that it's not an easy thing to do and requires a lot of different software....?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

I've never used the Circlina software, but I am told it's the whole deal from start to finish. The only limitation is that it cannot do MLP. To do that, you need the whole "complicated and expensive" way to do it, which is what I do.

There are many places on the net that cover DVD-A creation. If you're really interested, the $50 or so for the DVD-A Solo software from Circlina is a real good start.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Irish_Viking

I've never used the Circlina software, but I am told it's the whole deal from start to finish. The only limitation is that it cannot do MLP. To do that, you need the whole "complicated and expensive" way to do it, which is what I do.

There are many places on the net that cover DVD-A creation. If you're really interested, the $50 or so for the DVD-A Solo software from Circlina is a real good start.
What's MLP? I've read about that but escapes my mind at the moment. So, with Cirlinca, can I basically put in a DVD video and it will extract, then burn the audio from it to a blank DVD?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

News flash for everyone with the tech package. For several years now it's been possible to copy DVDA's by removing the watermark. You can also transcode DTS to DVDA and DVDA to DTS. I have hundreds of DTS and DVDA albums I play in my RL, the surround is incredible.
Alexander. (01-06-2013)