Does your TL's bluetooth constantly refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your TL's bluetooth constantly refresh?

Hey TL 4G community, I really need your help here. I've had a TL since 2004, and been a Acurazine member since 2006, and I've never experience anything this frustrating with My TL's, and I love my 09' TL.

I have a 09 TL with tech package and I'm having issues with my iPhone 3GS connectivity via Bluetooth. The problem started once Apple updated their OS to 4.0, and now 4.1. Connected to the dock via USB, with the bluetooth off the phone works perfect, however when the iPhone bluetooth is on and I'm trying to listen to the iPod portion of the phone, the audio connections switches to HFL and the audio stops playing. In order to get it back, I have to hit the iPod dock connection icon in the bottom lower right and select "dock connector", then it re-engages, but not for long.

So my question to you guys is does your TL bluetooth icon refresh itself in the center dash display? As I'm building my case, please let me know your specifics. I'm mostly interested in 09 TL tech packages using iPhone 3GS, but all input will be valuable, thanks guys.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Little help here???
Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same issues in my 2010 TL Tech Package. It is frustrating to deal with while driving. Hopefully there will be a software update of some sorts that will address this
Old 09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

There won't be unless Acura hears about it, please let me know.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had this problem as well with my 2010 TL 6MT. Happened twice this morning within a about 5 minutes of leaving the house. Now here is the interesting part. I've seen elsewhere that some people think they are losing Bluetooth connectivity temporarily when the Iphone senses a new WIFI network nearby. Turning off WIFI solves that problem. While I have not had that problem myself, I gave turning off WIFI a shot anyway. It worked, at least for the rest of my 40 minute drive to work. The iphone stayed on dock connector the whole time. I will experiment more with this on my way home this evening.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Response

Hi,

My problem is similar, but not exactly the same. Sometimes when I am streaming music from my iPhone (iPhone4 with IOS4.1), I will hear a beep, then the phone will play a different song. This only happens sometimes, and it will only occur if my phone is unlocked. If I lock my phone after selecting a playlist or song, no problems.

I have no idea why it does it. However, with my issue, locking the phone seems to fix the problem.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by emdash
I've seen elsewhere that some people think they are losing Bluetooth connectivity temporarily when the Iphone senses a new WIFI network nearby. Turning off WIFI solves that problem.
Not for me unfortunately, I've tried it with WIFI on and off and the only way I get stability is turning off the Bluetooth on the iPhone, then it's stable for iPod use, or streaming Pandora.

Last night I started to monkey around with the bluetooth stuff in the TL menu before I took off, and I came across the pairing section so I assigned my phone a dedicated pin number instead of the random choice. This worked for about 2 hours and I thought it was stable, then driving home from the gym it cut out 3 times during a 20 minute drive.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Similar problem with my Droid 2. Bluetooth keeps disconnecting. I think we have to call Acura.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Fix?

I was able to solve the Bluetooth connectivity issue by disabling the Droid's Wifi connection. It appears that the phone gets confused if both Wifi and Bluetooth are on.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
5th Gear

I've called Apple a number of times about this. My iPhone 3G never dropped bluetooth, but then when I got an iPhone 4 it happens all the time. The last Apple tech I talked with gave me the suggestion about turning off wifi in the car. This does seem to help quite a bit.

However, what I'd like to suggest to ALL iPhone owners - go to:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

And leave this feedback - ask them to give the iPhone a setting where iPod audio has a 'sticky' setting for your preferred audio output channel - in this case, we'd always want the dock connector to be the output - regardless of what was happening with bluetooth.

Maybe if enough of us give the same suggestion, they'll incorporate it into a future iOS upgrade.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Foster, good input, it's worth a shot? They already know about us and our dilemma. The issue goes past our TL's and into every car that has bluetooth modules. This is Apple's first serious F up with a software update in the 20 years that I've been with them. They've managed to turn a smart phone into a dumb phone. I'm at an all time low to insult Apple, but it's appropriate at this time.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The way I solve this - is
1: plug old iPod into the USB connector on the car - leave that iPod in the car.
2: keep my iPhone in my pocket

When I first got the car I was plugging and unplugging the iPhone - that got old (I mean I dont have to take out my keys to open or start the car - why would I want to pull my phone out and plug it in or un plug every time I get in or out of the car??)

So now can use the iPod just for music

and the iPhone works just fine with bluetooth for phone calls or streaming audio (Pandora or a Podcast) via the bluetooth to the car audio
Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya C, there are lots of work arounds, but it doesn't fix the issue and address my main point, that it used to work before the 4.0 OS upgrade. So they should fix it.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Cruisin'

Same issue here with my 09 TL. It seems to occur more when I am using Pandora. My iPhone 4G will be just sitting there and then all of a sudden the sound goes out and I have to force the output back to HFL.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Zider, do me a flava, check your instrumentation and see if the bluetooth drops out on the display? Mine drops out every 3 minutes or so. This forces the iPhone to go to HFL instead of staying on data connection. Dammit!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmode
Zider, do me a flava, check your instrumentation and see if the bluetooth drops out on the display? Mine drops out every 3 minutes or so. This forces the iPhone to go to HFL instead of staying on data connection. Dammit!!!

Will do. I'll let you know what I find. My issue doesn't occur nearly as often as you describe, so it might take a few days.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

My drop out problem is solved with update 4.2.1. Not perfect but almost back to normal. When I hook up my iPhone via the dock connector, the audio drops, usually in the first minute, but after I disengage and re-engage, it has been pretty stable. I've been rather successful for a week now! Yeah, I knew it was Apple messing around with the Bluetooth! Thanks for the 10 months of hell! LOL.

I hope you all are experiencing stability via the dock connector now?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've tested my 2010-TL with a boat load of Motorola devices and haven't run across any issues. I'm currently using both a Bravo and an older ZTV.