Burning MP3 to DVD for 09 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vinnie, I've dedicated 20 years of my life to audio, so it's not the first time I've heard that, and this is the one field that I excel in, so am I smarter than most? sure in this field, but there's always someone smarter than me, and I'm a idiot when it comes to cars, so I'm right back to idiot level, feel better? I'm just trying to get everyone on the same page when it comes to audio terminology, that's all, it's not personal. You actually came off self righteous above when you said "DVD-A is HD, period!", that just cried out for discussion, and I took the bait, but let's move on.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Bmode, what do you do for a living? You've been in audio almost as long as I've been a disc jockey on the radio! I have a lot of respect for you and your input since you've been doing audio for that long. You've definitely proven that you know your stuff. Anyway, I'm on a Macbook Pro too. Where are some of your other posts on converting 2 channel audio into 5.1 surround sound?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Air personality? Very cool, where and did you get behind the turntables at any point? I started my mobile DJ'ing back in high school around 1985, and kept it going until 1995, I also did a few clubs too, then I went on tour with a R&B band as their roadie and live mixer, the label offered me a recording engineer position once we got back, which lead to A&R/producer for the small So. Cal based label. The label folded in 97', and I was pretty bitter about the industry, but not about music. I went into the Home Theatre business and have been doing that ever since. I got back into music when someone bought me Logic as a B-day gift, then I had to get the Mac Pro 8-core for the now Logic Pro. My CD is on iTunes available for download, search Bmode, or go to CDBABY.com if you still like CD's. If anyone does purchase a CD, please let me know, I'll send you one of four of my ultimate funk CD's mixed to perfection as a thank you, I ain't lying either, I'll gladly send it to you!

I actually have not converted 2 channel stereo to 5.1. When I make DVD-A's for my car, I just use 2 channel stereo DVD-A, which still sounds great, and I get 95 tracks on one DVD, so sweet. I just haven't figured out how to get text on DVD-A to come up in the TL. The only 5.1 I've put on DVD-A is my own tracks, I use Logic Pro and you can mix to 5.1 surround sound in true-24-bit, it's really phenomenal sounding. I'm considering releasing a DVD-A of my next CD just for Acura owners, but it's a lot of work to mix to 5.1.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
let it go dude....
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
should i spend more in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Well, I wouldn't *think* it would work. Unless they've changed the capability in the '09's.

Just trying to figure out what Superb did that it worked. Re-reading his post, I wonder if he means he took his JVC
Deck and tried it?
Sorry for the delayed response. To clarify, I currently own a JVC deck that plays DVD's with mp3 wma music files stored on them. I have owned the deck for about 2 years now.

I took one of my DVD's that I use in my personal JVC with me to Acura on 2 occassions. I first tried it in the MDX w/ Tech Package just for kicks, and to my surprise, it played the DVD and also showed the Tag info.

Once the TL came out, I went and looked at it, and just for kicks, tried my DVD in the radio and Voila, it worked again. For proof, here's a screen shot.

As you can see in the pics, they are MP3 files, and the first pic is in the root folder, while the 2nd pic is in the 11th folder.

I took pictures of all navi screens so that I could duplicate it for my carpc project. So imagine how the salesman were looking at me as i photographed the various screens in their brand new TL!! haha

Anyway, I use Nero 8 to burn the DVD's as DVD data disc, use Memorex DVD-R media, and typically burn at a max of 12 whatever/second.

Hope that helps, don't really care about formats and all that, I just hate having a bunch of loose cd's in the car and don't want an Ipod.

Last edited by Superb; 01-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

There you go, that's the answer, Nero 8 or 9 will make it hot! Excellent. Thanks for backing it up with "ninja style" photo! I'm gonna try out Toast Titanium for the Mac users tonight.

Vinnie I see you didn't notice the thumbs up I gave you, and yet you still post a sarcastic retort, after I admitted guilt for baiting. Nice touch.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bmode
Air personality? Very cool, where and did you get behind the turntables at any point? I started my mobile DJ'ing back in high school around 1985, and kept it going until 1995, I also did a few clubs too, then I went on tour with a R&B band as their roadie and live mixer, the label offered me a recording engineer position once we got back, which lead to A&R/producer for the small So. Cal based label. The label folded in 97', and I was pretty bitter about the industry, but not about music. I went into the Home Theatre business and have been doing that ever since. I got back into music when someone bought me Logic as a B-day gift, then I had to get the Mac Pro 8-core for the now Logic Pro. My CD is on iTunes available for download, search Bmode, or go to CDBABY.com if you still like CD's. If anyone does purchase a CD, please let me know, I'll send you one of four of my ultimate funk CD's mixed to perfection as a thank you, I ain't lying either, I'll gladly send it to you!

I actually have not converted 2 channel stereo to 5.1. When I make DVD-A's for my car, I just use 2 channel stereo DVD-A, which still sounds great, and I get 95 tracks on one DVD, so sweet. I just haven't figured out how to get text on DVD-A to come up in the TL. The only 5.1 I've put on DVD-A is my own tracks, I use Logic Pro and you can mix to 5.1 surround sound in true-24-bit, it's really phenomenal sounding. I'm considering releasing a DVD-A of my next CD just for Acura owners, but it's a lot of work to mix to 5.1.
I got on the air here in Kansas City in my sophomore year of college. I started at the Top 40 station and was there for 3 years. Then I went to the huge album/concert rock station for 11 years and I'm currently at the classic rock station-I've been here for 19 years. I also did the nightclub DJ-ing and private parties for a long while too.

What I'm really trying to accomplish is taking traditional 2 channel CD's and upconvert them to 5.1 surround. I realize that since traditional CD's are done in 44.1 sampling, I probably won't be able to re-sample them in 24bit/96k-similar to DVD Audio. But it would be nice to separate the 2 channel and remix it in 5.1 surround. Maybe to move background vocals to the rear speakers or separate musical instruments, if possible.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, guess what kids: I just tried burning the DVD with Roxio and it worked like a charm! Folders, tags, everything in place, even displays the song title in the display on the stereo itself (as well as the navi screen). Thanks, Superb!

Of course, I'd pretty much already resolved myself to buy a second iPod just to keep in the car because I'm enjoying having all my music at my disposal. But, still, this is definitely a good discovery.

Seems any proper program will do it; simply copying the files to a DVD through Windows Explorer will NOT. Plus, that takes forever.

One problem solved! Now if we could only address the Handsfreelink deficiencies/downgrades from my 04 and 07 that seem to be present in the 09 that we're discussing in another thread....
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
There you go, that's the answer, Nero 8 or 9 will make it hot! Excellent. Thanks for backing it up with "ninja style" photo! I'm gonna try out Toast Titanium for the Mac users tonight.

Vinnie I see you didn't notice the thumbs up I gave you, and yet you still post a sarcastic retort, after I admitted guilt for baiting. Nice touch.
sorry, i didnt even bother to read the whole post....were good
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Well, guess what kids: I just tried burning the DVD with Roxio and it worked like a charm! Folders, tags, everything in place, even displays the song title in the display on the stereo itself (as well as the navi screen). Thanks, Superb!

Of course, I'd pretty much already resolved myself to buy a second iPod just to keep in the car because I'm enjoying having all my music at my disposal. But, still, this is definitely a good discovery.

Seems any proper program will do it; simply copying the files to a DVD through Windows Explorer will NOT. Plus, that takes forever.

One problem solved! Now if we could only address the Handsfreelink deficiencies/downgrades from my 04 and 07 that seem to be present in the 09 that we're discussing in another thread....
WOW! Gotta try it in the 3G now; I'm curious.

My guess is this is a 4G "upgrade".

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Nice on the DJ thang, what are the call letters for you local station? But Steven, I'm confused on what your trying to accomplish? Unless you have the masters to remix thangs, you can't separate anything from mastered works. Once it's 2 channel it stays 2 channel. You can however simulate a surround mode but it's not true isolation. I'm tinkering with the Dolby Pro Logic II setting in the TL also and trying to find is colorization zone, it's a nice processor for a car as it doesn't manipulate the original source too much, and makes it a bit spatial, which is nice! Subtle is good! This why I love Dolby Sound Labs processing, it's just done with TLC and excellent quality, and kudos to Honda for loading it on!

I've up converted CD's from 16-bit/44.1Khz to 24-bit/96Khz but it doesn't really change much. The one thing you do have is headroom. My experience is that you can push DVD-A a bit harder before distortion on good sources, like straight from commercial CD's. I also just realized to that Logic Pro exports to 24-bit/192Khz!!! Wow, I gotta try that shit! Those are gonna be some large files though, but it's all about pushing the envelope ain't it?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, the applications I've been using is Sound Studio and Audacity. I no longer own Pro Tools as I sold it with the key, it just got too expensive for the simple stuff I was doing. Besides, I have Logic Pro now, and it's pretty darn resourceful and clean!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Bmode...thanks for both of your responses. My radio station is KCFX-101 The Fox. We are also the flagship station for the Kansas City Chiefs!

I just wanted to try and take 2 channel stereo CD's and make them sound better and be in surround sound. But i forgot the the TL's head unit already takes a regular CD and separates it for you-at least simulates it. It makes sense what you said about taking 16/44.1 and getting nothing much from the upconversion. You are right my friend, it is about pushing the envelope!!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Gotta try it in the 3G now; I'm curious.

My guess is this is a 4G "upgrade".

Bearcat, on page 306 of the 09's manual under the heading Playing an MP3/WMA/AAC Disc, the manual states: This audio system plays CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM, and DVD-R/RW compressed in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats.

Unfortunately, on page 146 of the 08's manual, the text reads: This audio system can also play CD-Rs and CD-RWs compressed in MP3 or WMA formats. So, according to the manual, you may not be able to play MP3's on a DVD data disc, just CD. If it works, great; however, it doesn't look like it will.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 04WDPinSC
Bearcat, on page 306 of the 09's manual under the heading Playing an MP3/WMA/AAC Disc, the manual states: This audio system plays CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM, and DVD-R/RW compressed in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats.

Unfortunately, on page 146 of the 08's manual, the text reads: This audio system can also play CD-Rs and CD-RWs compressed in MP3 or WMA formats. So, according to the manual, you may not be able to play MP3's on a DVD data disc, just CD. If it works, great; however, it doesn't look like it will.

Awww, what fun is it to read the *manual*? :lol:

I tried a DVD+R DL yesterday - Fail. Maybe try a Single Layer.

So today, DVD-R SL = Fail.

I knew it wasn't *supposed* to work in the 3G, but thought just maybe, in the '07 ... TL-S .... Model Refresh year .... premium model ....

The 3G TL sucks. and the 4G Rules.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

Awww, what fun is it to read the *manual*? :lol:

I tried a DVD+R DL yesterday - Fail. Maybe try a Single Layer.

So today, DVD-R SL = Fail.

I knew it wasn't *supposed* to work in the 3G, but thought just maybe, in the '07 ... TL-S .... Model Refresh year .... premium model ....

The 3G TL sucks. and the 4G Rules.
That's not nice, Bearcat, the 3G doesn't suck. I loved my 04, and I still think it looks better than my 4G, but the 4G just has a few more bells and whistles on it. For me the top 2 things the 4G has over the 3G is a lot fewer plastiky rattles and a better ride. I have had far fewer compliments on my 4G than I did when I had the 3G--though the WDP on the 3G probably didn't hurt. You could trade, but with the HUGE list of mods you've made on your car, you've probably finally got it the way you like it, huh?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 04WDPinSC
...but with the HUGE list of mods you've made on your car, you've probably finally got it the way you like it, huh?

nah, man, I's gots plans.

inna spring Imma raise it up on 24's, take the trunk out and put in a freaking Hot Tub for sho. For to go betta crusin wit my bishes, yo.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

nah, man, I's gots plans.

inna spring Imma raise it up on 24's, take the trunk out and put in a freaking Hot Tub for sho. For to go betta crusin wit my bishes, yo.
Hell yea! You'd better post some pics when you're finished. But...be careful how full you fill the tub or the weight will sink the rear and you'll be sparking the mufflers off of the pavement. Ha!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

MP3's to DVD in the TL

Titanium Toast 8-9 works for MP3's straight to DVD with no conversion? Wow, man I'm like 1 out of 10 in these threads.

Anyway, for Mac users that have Toast 8 or better, I only have Titanium Toast 8 so 9 might be a little different, but here's basic steps:

1) Open Toast, Under the audio section, select the MP3 Disc setting under the left column menu,
2) Name your DVD, then create folders for different categories or whatever and name those too,
it will show up in the TL nav screen, for example - (folder) 01-Rock, 02-Chillout etc...
3) drag over MP3's to desired folders
4) select the "DVD" media burning icon for desired media in the bottom right corner,
5) then "...push the button Max!"