Bluetooth - phone works, audio is a no-show

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth - phone works, audio is a no-show

I've got a 2010 TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Pkg. I bought it CPO in late 2012.

My issue is that the when I hit the "HDD/Aux" button, I only ever get TWO screens on the nav display: HDD or USB. I never get a Bluetooth Audio screen. I never see THIS screen:

(That's a picture I found on the web, NOT a pic of my car.)

I have a iPhone 6 (iOS 9.2) which I pair to the car's HandsFreeLink without issue, and successfully make & receive phone calls. But, I cannot stream audio, because the HDD/AUX button only gives me HDD or USB -- never Bluetooth.

I've tried all the basic stuff - deleting phone from car, car from phone, re-pairing, etc. Turned off WiFi - didn't make a difference. Even disconnected the car battery to cause a radio reset - nothing has worked.

I have a friend with a 2009 model of the same car. I am able to stream audio from my phone to his car, because his car brings up the Bluetooth Audio screen. This proves that it's not an issue with my phone, but rather, with my car.

One difference I noticed is that when pairing my iPhone to my friend's car, the HFL showed up on my phone as "HandsFreeLink TM". My car shows up on the iPhone as "HandsFreeLink R". No idea if that naming difference is indicative of a difference in the software version between the two cars, but it's the only difference that I saw.

Does anyone have experience with a 4th-gen TL-Tech radio that doesn't offer a Bluetooth Audio screen? Any ideas/suggestions? Thx in advance.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:47 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
That's odd. Take it to the dealer and maybe they can try reflashing the firmware on it.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 AM
6th Gear

Thanks, LNJ, for the response.

I called the dealer today, and they want $100 right off the bat, just to diagnose the situation, "and go from there."

Not what I wanted to hear, since this was likely a defect from Day-1...but unfortunately, the car is out of warranty now. $100 plus who-knows-how-much-else to fix something that shouldn't have been broken in the first place is frustrating!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

MM658--
Just as part of troubleshooting--do you have a friend who has a phone you could attempt to pair with your car to see if the bluetooth audio works with his/her phone? If it does pair correctly and allow audio bluetooth that would narrow the problem down a little further. The problem being between your specific phone and your car. Not sure where to go from here though.
Good luck!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM
6th Gear

Thanks, dordale.
Actually, I do have a friend with the same phone -- the same person whose TL was able to stream music from my phone. We tried his phone in my car, and no luck.
So, the issue is definitely with my TL.

My iPhone, his TL = success.
His iPhone, my TL = nothing.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

MM658--Sorry to hear that and very frustrating that your local dealership wants $$$ just to diagnose the problem.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine did the same today