Anyone try Amazon Music HD with ELS yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone try Amazon Music HD with ELS yet?

I've been reading about Amazon Music HD recently and am wondering if a) Anyone tried it in a 4GL with ELS yet? If so, what do you think?

And b) More of a technical question - Can the ELS system even really make full use a 24bit / 192kHz stream? Will the stream be reduced when streamed to the head unit over bluetooth? (I have an iPhone X) What about connecting via USB directly. Presumably both the iPhone needs to be able to send out the audio stream without loss and the head unit needs to be able to receive and process appropriately. In theory, anyone of those things isn't compatible, you'll suffer quality reduction. However, even if you do, you still may get better quality sound than using a non-HD source. Also... there are after market HD DACs for sale. What if you bought one of these and plugged it into the AUX 3.5 jack?

I've always been a bit "irritated" by the Acura ELS system. It's very good, and has the potential to be even better. I've never actually been able to get my hands on a DVD-A disc to make full use of the sound quality. I jump in my Wife's Lincoln/Panasonic setup and I find the hardware to be a little worse (it's not bad) than the ELS, it does sound much crisper when it picks up HD Radio - which the 4G TL cannot. grrr.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
You're correct, it's all about the DAC but regardless you will see a better grade of audio whether or not the HU is 24bit/192 capable. This will be especially true for the middle - high frequencies as these will have a bit more clarity and pop than you're currently experiencing. I have the Amazon Music HD package and I can honestly say when compared directly to a non-HD source (Spotify) it is noticeably better and is more comparable to FLAC formatted materials. As for an HD DAC converter I would question the methodology of using an external DAC only to reduce it down through a AUX jack which is basically a mono pathway. The simple truth of it is USB and HDMI connections are typically better in all respects for audio reproduction.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
ELS is only available though the DVD-A's. USB and bluetooth will do the conversion before the HU to a much lower quality/rate.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response. I take it you are just piping the Amazon HD app via Bluetooth?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Jensenajj
Thanks for the response. I take it you are just piping the Amazon HD app via Bluetooth?
Nope, using and iphone with music stored on it!