My best wireless audio solution - Airplay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
My best wireless audio solution - Airplay

I know there are countless threads for bluetooth/wireless audio integration on these forums. I for one have steadily improved the iphone integration in my TL over the years gradually. I initially had a PIE X3 + Dom's Nav Unit to provide audio and video capabilities, which was great. But I still had to dock it and really wanted the convenience of wireless audio. This lead me to install a blackberry gateway that did exactly that for me. Problem was sub par audio quality. So I later replaced it with an iSimple device thinking that it would be better. This still resulted in poor audio quality for my standards, which is when I realized that Bluetooth audio was always going to be sub par to direct plug in due to its compression of audio to stream. This lead me to always plugging my iPhone in, essentially nullifying this entire setup.

Well now I have finally got a wireless solution that I am content with and audio quality is 10000x better than the compressed Bluetooth audio. And that is Airplay! Reason why Airplay results in better audio is simple - it is uncompressed audio. (technically it is compressed but far less that its almost 100% close to how the audio clip was recorded). It streams the audio over a wifi network connection.

Here is how I did it and what I used. These are the pieces I used:

1. PIE X3 (can be substituted for any unit that has L+R audio inputs)
Apple AV cable Apple AV cable

Dolry Air play streamer Dolry Air play streamer

This is all you'll need and your in business! This entire setup can be had for probably $150. If you want to go cheaper you can get the knock off of the Dolry for $20 but I just know I had contact issues on 2 of those knockoff units that I sent it back and settled for Dolry and don't regret it. I can't be bothered with that when I have to keep opening panels or carpeting to retrieve the unit to keep unplugging and plugging it back in so I went with Dolry and use the other unit for my Bose setup at home.

Now just connect the Dolry to your 30 pin AV cable and that's it. Those with 07-08 TL's may be able to buy a 30 pin to audio jack to use the Aux jack in the center console. Now the audio quality is phenomenal! No loss and 95% on point with direct connection. Works beautifully with spotify which is what I use and no interference with my HFL bluetooth either that I use to get at times with the iSimple.

Now when you do connect your iPhone's wifi to this, your iPhone will think you are connected to wifi when in reality you are not. You will notice that there is no LTE/3G symbol up top. Therefore you have to make some network setting changes on your iPhone or else your internet, imessage and email will not work. It takes 5 seconds to do this and is a ONE TIME change. And if you don't make these changes your music will still work but you will have no data connection on your phone because it thinks its connected to a wifi source.

Dolry has an app that you can download from the app store that you can use to re-name your wifi setting through it. Do it at home on your home wifi connection for ease and then bring it to the car. Once you bring it to the car, connect your iPhone to it and then proceed to make the network changes to allow data to work by doing the following:

Once you connect to your dolry airplay device, in the wifi settings click on the 'i' with the circle around it and it will bring you to this page:

Note down the IP Address and Subnet Mask as you will have to enter it on the next screen. Once noted down click on the "Static" option and you will be at this page:

Input the IP Address and Subnet Mask into the fields and leave the Router and DNS fields empty. Leaving these fields empty will force your iPhone to use your cellular data for internet while using wifi to push media content... genius right! You will also notice that your 3G/LTE come back.

Now sit back and enjoy the high quality tunes

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 09-12-2014 at 05:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TonyJealijus (11-26-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
For those of you who want to use your center console aux jacks... this is the cable you will need:

Amazon.com: auris 30-pin iPhone / iPod to 3.5mm AUX (Auxiliary) + USB Charge & Sync Cable - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: auris 30-pin iPhone / iPod to 3.5mm AUX (Auxiliary) + USB Charge & Sync Cable - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 11-04-2015, 07:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was reviewing this - can the dolry work if you just plug it into the isimple with iphone 4 cable?

I have an 06 TL and looking into best way to play music from my iphone and also be able to use the integrated HFL and found this thread...