5.1 Channel Mp3/WMA on the tech package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.1 Channel Mp3/WMA on the tech package?

Has anyone tried a 5.1 channel MP3 or WMA on the Tech Package and get full 5.1 output?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Also does it support XM-HD 5.1?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by GearDriven
Also does it support XM-HD 5.1?
bimode step in here
Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do I got to be Bimode? LOL.

Has anyone tried a 5.1 channel MP3 or WMA on the Tech Package and get full 5.1 output?
Not sure if that's possible with MP3's but we've talked about 5.1 DVD audio discs in the TL with other threads already. To my knowledge, MP3 is limited to 2-channel stereo unless I've missed a recent technological update. I do not use WMA files as I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure on that format either. XM at this time is only 2 channel digital crap stereo. It used to be decent, but after the merger it got grittier and the signal dropped 2db. You ask how I measure this, okay, well I stream XM front the computer when I'm home to monitor channels, Safari has a Quicktime window that pops up to save what I'd been listening to, and then I convert that to a AIFF file, then edit the songs I like. Since the merger, I'm finding myself adding gain to the captured source, it used to be much stronger and clearer.

So yes we have used DVD-audio in the TL and 5.1 is phenomenal! Hope this answers your question, and check the other thread on 5.1 and audio in the TL please rather than go over it again here, the mods will be thankful.

Last edited by bmode; 01-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
bimode step in here
bi-mode might have an entirely different meaning than bmode
Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

bmode you'll do - I don't know where the other guy bimode went

sorry lol
Old 01-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmode
XM at this time is only 2 channel digital crap stereo. It used to be decent, but after the merger it got grittier and the signal dropped 2db. You ask how I measure this, okay, well I stream XM front the computer when I'm home to monitor channels, Safari has a Quicktime window that pops up to save what I'd been listening to, and then I convert that to a AIFF file, then edit the songs I like. Since the merger, I'm finding myself adding gain to the captured source, it used to be much stronger and clearer..
"The silver lining in all of this is that all internet subscriptions will now feature the 128k “premium” feed."

http://siriusbuzz.com/sirius-xm-rate...-confirmed.php
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Why do I got to be Bimode? LOL.

Not sure if that's possible with MP3's but we've talked about 5.1 DVD audio discs in the TL with other threads already. To my knowledge, MP3 is limited to 2-channel stereo unless I've missed a recent technological update. I do not use WMA files as I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure on that format either. XM at this time is only 2 channel digital crap stereo. It used to be decent, but after the merger it got grittier and the signal dropped 2db. You ask how I measure this, okay, well I stream XM front the computer when I'm home to monitor channels, Safari has a Quicktime window that pops up to save what I'd been listening to, and then I convert that to a AIFF file, then edit the songs I like. Since the merger, I'm finding myself adding gain to the captured source, it used to be much stronger and clearer.

So yes we have used DVD-audio in the TL and 5.1 is phenomenal! Hope this answers your question, and check the other thread on 5.1 and audio in the TL please rather than go over it again here, the mods will be thankful.
It is possible to encode a 5.1 channel mp3...not many places do it. 5.1 channel WMAs are rare...but I could see making them from DVD-Audio disks if they were supported.

I just hate having to deal with disks, scratches, and changing them...when I can put a huge amount of storage on a thumbdrive/usb harddrive and play off of that with no problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

No, you can't encode a 5.1 channel with MP3 as the format. Let's try this, what are you trying to do or avoid, and how can we help you?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Fraunhofer actually did make a 5.1 channel, backwards compatible, MP3 format. I just wanted to see if I could put some 5.1 mp3's or wma's onto a thumbdrive and listen to them that way instead of making DVD-Audio discs.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah I see. Well there is no software out at this time to do this for us. Fraunhofer must be an applied science laboratory, and they can probably make an elephant dangle from a cliff by hanging from a daisy. But why on earth would you want to even think about using the MP3 format when Dolby is around? This stuff starts to get really crazy as most people don't know how to use industry terms, I'm still learning myself and trying every day to educate the public. I hope you all do too.

Last edited by bmode; 01-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Check here:

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/EN/bf/amm/mp3sur/index.jsp

Looks like a free encoder is available. According to Wiki ( ) it is capable of 5 or 6 channel surround and takes an add'l 16 kbs overhead, so file sizes remain quite small.

My guess though (just a WAG), the TL won't recognize the encoding so will playback as if stereo. Here's what I'd do to test the format:

- Find a CD with a song where you would expect some surround-like effects if ripped to 5.1; something like Pink Floyd or Yes or Steely Dan, etc.

- Rip that song to regular old MP3 and then rip it again to MP3 Surround.

- Put both on your thumbdrive and play the regular MP3 as stereo and using the TL's simulated 5.1. Then play the MP3 surround with the TL 5.1 simulation on and again off.

- Attempt to determine if the MP3 Surround file actually provides better/more depth and/or channel separation. If it does (with either the built in 5.1 simulation or without), great.

- If not, stick with plain MP3 and simulated surround on or off to suit your tastes.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 01-22-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah, nice post Bearcat, thanks. Other than the small file size, I don't understand why would anyone want to use the MP3 format to go to 5.1, it can't stand next to WAV and AIFF's, and the whole purpose is to get true 5.1 sound to reproduce what the artist just spent thousands of dollars on? How would you get higher bit-rates and frequencies?

While I applaud the MP3 revolution and use it daily, I think this is just another bad idea to confuse everyone even more! The next thing you know this MP3 5.1 format will be a setting on every AV amp, and they'll have users saying this is the best thing since sliced bread! Jeez.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

I've been meaning to post here on this. Assuming that your source material is stereo, I don't understand how you are going to synthesize 5 channels. A DVD audio is created from the 24 track master recordings. Instead of mixing 24 tracks down to 2 (L + R) they mix to 5 + 1. Without access to the original tracks I don't see a way around this.

My video editing software allows me to mix 5.1 and I can say it is not easy to steer sounds to a video image because you have to have the source material. I was considering a mic that has three elements for making surround sound recordings, but I know that the camcorder only saves 2 tracks. I'd need a multichannel mixer to capture discrete sound.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Your right and wrong Colin. Your correct that 2-channel stereo mixes cannot facilitate a true 5.1 mix, but you can simulate as we've talked about using 5-channel stereo or like the TL Dolby ProLogic II. Your incorrect in stating that they come from 24 tracks, not all of them do, and some back in the day, weren't always 24 analog tracks! My 5.1 mixes come directly from my computer in Logic Pro which has special 5.1 mixing software to make 5.1 discrete channels of audio, it's really fun, but time consuming.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Your incorrect in stating that they come from 24 tracks, not all of them do, and some back in the day, weren't always 24 analog tracks! My 5.1 mixes come directly from my computer in Logic Pro which has special 5.1 mixing software to make 5.1 discrete channels of audio, it's really fun, but time consuming.
Heh, I used to be in audio/video retail 'back in the day' (remember I've been with Acura for 14 years) so I base the assumption that most big labels still use multitrack recording. Good to know! What software do you use?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Instructor

I would want to take my collection of DVD-A's and put them on a thumbdrive. Can I do that with AIFF or WAV or even WMA lossless and get the Acura system to read it? 5.1? The source material is 5.1, so I would love to preserve that. Of course I could just use the DVD-A's or maybe make a mix DVD-A...but I hate dealing with disks as they are a pain to switch/navigate on the fly...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I see now what your trying to do Gear, preserve the DVD-A, gotcha. The best way I know how at this time for the TL will result in a stereo file on a thumb drive, not 5.1. What platform are you on, PC or Mac? I can tell you how to do it on a Mac but not PC. Having those DVD-A's your pretty committed at this point to the disc loader in the TL, sorry. I'm sure there's options out there, I just haven't ventured that route yet.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor

I see now what your trying to do Gear, preserve the DVD-A, gotcha. The best way I know how at this time for the TL will result in a stereo file on a thumb drive, not 5.1. What platform are you on, PC or Mac? I can tell you how to do it on a Mac but not PC. Having those DVD-A's your pretty committed at this point to the disc loader in the TL, sorry. I'm sure there's options out there, I just haven't ventured that route yet.
I have PC and MAC. I already have them in stereo...I just was going to see if it would be worth re-ripping them as 5.1 so I could fully enjoy them. Not really a big deal since the car isn't exactly the best place to audition your favorite songs, but it would have been a nice to have as I prepare my thumbdrive for the drive back from the dealership
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by GearDriven
I would want to take my collection of DVD-A's and put them on a thumbdrive. Can I do that with AIFF or WAV or even WMA lossless and get the Acura system to read it? 5.1? The source material is 5.1, so I would love to preserve that. Of course I could just use the DVD-A's or maybe make a mix DVD-A...but I hate dealing with disks as they are a pain to switch/navigate on the fly...
1. How are you going to get the from the DVD AOB files to WAV (or other convertable/usable format)?

2. Even if you do (and it would be time consuming using various bits of software) AND you defeat the CPPM (?) copy protection, some of those DVD-A are going to be watermarked. When the TL sees a DVD-A file with no copy protection but a watermark, it will not play them (actually it'll play 15 secs and stop). How will the TL react to a file with no copy protection, but a watermark?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Colin
I've been meaning to post here on this. Assuming that your source material is stereo, I don't understand how you are going to synthesize 5 channels. A DVD audio is created from the 24 track master recordings. Instead of mixing 24 tracks down to 2 (L + R) they mix to 5 + 1. Without access to the original tracks I don't see a way around this.

My video editing software allows me to mix 5.1 and I can say it is not easy to steer sounds to a video image because you have to have the source material. I was considering a mic that has three elements for making surround sound recordings, but I know that the camcorder only saves 2 tracks. I'd need a multichannel mixer to capture discrete sound.
It's not *real* 5.1; it's a simulation. Similar to what the Dolby Pro-Logic II option on the TL does.

Here is what Adobeman did in one of his scripts:

This is a 2 to 6 channel script that is based on a meduim-large rock club approximation. It isn't overly complex but seems to work. Similar to to the Small CLub script but the front L/R get echo and the rear is delayed more.

The process is as follows

Split the song's stereo source into L and R channels

Create a mono file of the song.

Invert the R channel and add it back to the L channel.
This creates a mono file that is the difference between the left and right channels. Think of it as the "anti center channel"
Invert the "anti center channel" and add it to the mono version of the song.
This creates a channel of all that is common between the L and R channels. This is the center channel. The center channel is then filtered by a 500Hz to 3KHz band pass. Since the TL's center channel driver is a small single cone driver this seems appropriate.
Add an inverted version of the filtered center channel to the LF and RF channels.
This creates left and right channels that have center channel content removed from them except for center channel content below 500Hz and above 3Khz. Since the TL's front L and R are full range woofer/tweeter drivers I thought this would be better. The L and R channels then get a 25Ms echo added to them
The LS and RS are created by using an echo function to delay the signal 50mS.
This is to simulate the sound reflecting off of the rear wall of a meduim large rock club.
The LFE channel is a simple 3rd order low pass of the song at 80Hz.
You do NOT have control over individual recording channels to point the Piano, say, to only the left front; or to roll a sound from back-to-front. IOW - it not true 5.1 channel effects. BUT you do get improved channel separation - it's kind of like 5-channel stereo plus LFE from the Sub-Woofer.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
It's not *real* 5.1; it's a simulation. Similar to what the Dolby Pro-Logic II option on the TL does.
Yeah, I get that now. Its pretty amazing how well Dolby did with the original surround and then pro-logic. I remember selling the Lexicon decoders back in the day...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
1. How are you going to get the from the DVD AOB files to WAV (or other convertable/usable format)?
That's the problem I ran into Bearcat. I extracted the 2004 TL DVD-Audio demo disc with Mactheripper, and I was left with AOB file format under the audio folder. So I went to the VOB's, but there's no audio there, which is usually the case in standard DVD's. Where's the audio in these folders?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Take a look at DVD Explorerer.

I don't recall all the different software bits that might be available to veiw and/or extract files from AOB - it's peice-meal and somewhat cumbersome. Even then I am not sure you can get all the way back to WAV; don't remember. I know I have NOT done it, but maybe it is possible.

Not sure if DVD Explorer will work with a MAC

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/data/dat...cle.php/c12025

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

BTW - I make no claim of usefullness or safety or security for whatever Freeware/Shareware, etc that you or anyone else may choose to use.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have created 100's of surround albums in multiple formats. As a rule, I grab any and all surround sources (DVD-DTS 48khz, DVD-AC3, DVDA, SACD, etc.) and re-encode into all of these: WMA Pro (5.1 surround), MP3-surround (Fraunhoffer), AC3, DTS 48khz, DTS 44.1khz, and original DTS in FLAC containers. My 06 RL will play DTS 44.1 perfectly, and sometimes re-ripped DVDA's (in DVD+R format only). I carry 200 DTS CD's in my RL all the time, all of which I hand-made. It used to take me hours to manually re-encode, but it now takes me maybe 5 minutes to create a DTS CD.

It's well worth it if you want to get the most out of your system. My next car will be the TL. Now, if only there was a good hacker who could get the TLs' HDD to play ANY surround format...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

We're all happy you can do this, care to show us how you did it? Specifics in platform and software?

When you grab any and all surround sources and re-encode, what does that mean specifically, break it down?