2012 Base TL non Navi conversion attempt

Old 11-19-2017, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Base TL non Navi conversion attempt

My non-navigation radio was giving me problems, so instead of just getting a new one, I wanted to upgrade to a OEM navigation system. I accomplished this same feat with my 2006 MDX w/ some headaches, but got thru it after reading a bunch of threads here.... so I thought doing the non navi to navi for my 2012 TL would be doable. Now I'm "All In" with this process and running into some issues... Has anyone attempted this upgrade with a 4G TL? Would appreciate any 'lesson learned". I have already connected about a hundred wires and when I tried it, had 2 major failures. 1) My navi screen would not turn on. Yes, I have power to it, but nothing. Doing some more trouble shooting today. It may be a SCTY (Security) issue. My base TL's SCTY wire has about 11 volts going into the old head unit (Connector A4)... where as the new navi system wiring diagram states it is just a signal and no voltage, so I'm confused about that. And #2..... the sound/volume from the new Head Unit is either ALL ON (LOUD!!!!!) or nothing. Not sure about that either, but is very annoying! Again, anyone out there ever had a successful non navi to navi conversion on a 4G (2012 TL)?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I'll take "Things that aren't worth it" for $1000 Alex.

You want to "upgrade" to a 5+ year old navigation unit in a base model car. Why?

Aftermarket GPS and phones are going to be vastly better in terms of performance. If you're looking to replace the stock headunit then there are aftermarket fit kids for stereos where you could install a double din radio and accomplish the same thing. Example of a complete kit:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INE...DMI.html?avf=Y
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120997...k.html?tp=3121
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541SWI...r.html?tp=3405
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701...s.html?tp=2977
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040H...r.html?tp=2569
Old 11-23-2017, 05:39 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I understand it sounds odd. I just like "the look" of an OEM navigation setup. I'm not even going to use the navigation function (Google maps and an iPhone works perfectly!) This TL is just my "in between car" until my Tesla Model 3 reservation comes up. When I sell the TL, I'm thinking I'll get more with a OEM navigation system then the crappy base model stuff that is in there. Lastly, (maybe I'm just a purest....), but I'm not into the aftermarket stuff on this car. I was able to get a Nav screen and upgraded head unit from a salvage yard for $150.... So I don't have very much money into it..... just a lot of time!

I do agree with you though... this is becoming a pain in the arsh!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by willyamy93
Yea, I understand it sounds odd. I just like "the look" of an OEM navigation setup. I'm not even going to use the navigation function (Google maps and an iPhone works perfectly!) This TL is just my "in between car" until my Tesla Model 3 reservation comes up. When I sell the TL, I'm thinking I'll get more with a OEM navigation system then the crappy base model stuff that is in there. Lastly, (maybe I'm just a purest....), but I'm not into the aftermarket stuff on this car. I was able to get a Nav screen and upgraded head unit from a salvage yard for $150.... So I don't have very much money into it..... just a lot of time!

I do agree with you though... this is becoming a pain in the arsh!
I'm with you 100% in having OEM stuff - specifically why I did research on OEM footwell lighting options as well as purchased OEM aluminum pedals in my TL. Can't beat the quality.

That said, I don't think the time/energy to get that working is worth it and then you'll end up with a hacked up OEM radio harness and potentially a non-functioning OEM GPS. To me for resale value that's going to kill it, I go out of my way to buy cars that haven't been modified because you can never be sure if the previous owner did any shortcuts.

My '96 Accord had an absolutely terrible radio job that worked, but was garbage. Electrical tape and twisted wires in a hacked up OEM harness versus spending the $20 for an adapter.

Best of luck with it should you pursue it though.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too did a lot of research about upgrading to the tech model radio. Again not worth it, there are a lot of components found all over the car and it will be the biggest pain to get it all hooked up and functioning. I didn’t like the metra dash kit at first but am going that way now. Just place an Acura emblem where the big ugly spot is under the screen. Bought an Alpine Ilx-107 and waiting on a few parts before I install with amp and component speakers. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 347 Posts
That's a lot of work for a "look". Hope it gets working

Search this Thread