Where are all the '09 TL's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are all the '09 TL's?

I live in the SF Bay Area and I've got to admit I'm surprised that I have yet to see a new TL on the road. When the 3rd gen came out I saw them almost immediately. I figure it's either the economy, limited dealer inventory, or the fact that the car's front end is just butt ugly. What do you think?

I thought about trading in my Type-S for one, but after looking at it I decided to wait until the SH-AWD version comes out to make a decision. Who knows, maybe I'll keep what I have as 160K hasn't slowed down my car one bit and I still haven't had any issues since the warranty ended. I'm sold on Honda, just not maybe the new TL.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think there are many people who are going to be thrilled with the design Acura has come up with for this vehicle along with the fact that it's more expensive.
That coupled with the economy and the tighter financing are most likelt he reasons, I have yet to see one here in Chicago myself which is also surprising.
I was really excited about this car before it was released and now not so much but it's going to be interesting to observe how things fare for Acura with this direction, especially since the TL is their bread and butter and the initial reaction to this new model has been mixed.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
I don't think there are many people who are going to be thrilled with the design Acura has come up with for this vehicle along with the fact that it's more expensive.
That coupled with the economy and the tighter financing are most likelt he reasons, I have yet to see one here in Chicago myself which is also surprising.
I was really excited about this car before it was released and now not so much but it's going to be interesting to observe how things fare for Acura with this direction, especially since the TL is their bread and butter and the initial reaction to this new model has been mixed.
+1

bad design + bad economy = poor sales

...last i'd heard, the Acura dealership near me (STL Acura) hadn't even sold 1 yet
Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

I am from Ontario, Canada. I have not seen a 4G TL on the raod either, its dispointing. I am blown away by the fact that its 3 grand less than the previous model and still no 4G's on the road! The economy might have something to do with it... Maybe not?

I personally love the new design. Though people have been opinionated about the front/grille.. I think that in the right colour it fits the car just right. - Crystal Black Pearl on black, with tints.. yummy

I think it might take a while before it starts to grow on everyone. The design is new... Now it just needs to find its market becuase, I have a feeling it may have lost some Acura fans along the way!

Give it time, they will spread... There is no way an Acura - TL would hit rock bottom! At least I hope it does not!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

I don't think its as much the economy as the looks of the car, my dealer said alot of folks have been in but the majority like my self have left after seeing the vehcile, deciding to move on to soemthing else.. its very sad what Acura have done to this car
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Proud Acura Owner

It could be a plether of different things. People waiting for the SH model, economy, alot of people just bought type-s 3gs, and design is bit edgy. I for one saw the first one in NYC today in the bronx, all black just a few minutes ago. It looks better in person. I still like my 3g though.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Allen
I don't think its as much the economy as the looks of the car, my dealer said alot of folks have been in but the majority like my self have left after seeing the vehcile, deciding to move on to soemthing else.. its very sad what Acura have done to this car
Just Curious, you said you left and decided to move on to something else.. what would that something else be.
Most of us who have 3G's are not in the market for a new car.
I think the 4G looks nice inside and outside and wish I could get it but I am not looking for a new car right now.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I still haven't seen a new one yet in Jersey, either. A ton of people here have 3Gs, I see them everywhere just as often as Accords pretty much. The 4G, not so much.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In my opinion, it's mostly the economy and the credit crisis. New car sales across all brands are down 10-40%. Also, banks are making it harder and harder for people to borrow money, esp. those with marginal credit. And things are only about to get worse.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yungwallstreet08
It could be a plether of different things. People waiting for the SH model, economy, alot of people just bought type-s 3gs, and design is bit edgy. I for one saw the first one in NYC today in the bronx, all black just a few minutes ago. It looks better in person. I still like my 3g though.
I agree that it looks better in person. I actually liked the rear end when I saw it first hand but not so much in the pictures. However, I can't say the same for the buck tooth. I really liked the interior - that's always been Acura's strong suit in my book. Especially considering the price point.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it's even more horrifying in person, the buck tooth comment is spot on, this car is ugly any way you slice it.
It may drive better and the ugly girl down the street may be good in the sack, I just wouldn't get caught dead with either one of them regardless.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Proud Acura Owner

After seeing the one I saw I liked what I saw. I went to curry acura today, and they had a few. Sat in a couple, I like the interior, but it just feels a bit cheaper than my 05 TL. Seats feel good though. The exterior is growing on me, especially all black with the 10 spoke rims and aero kit. With that said I am still enjoying my 3g and maybe by 2011, when i'm in for a new car, I will be purchasing a type s sh model.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yungwallstreet08
After seeing the one I saw I liked what I saw. I went to curry acura today, and they had a few. Sat in a couple, I like the interior, but it just feels a bit cheaper than my 05 TL. Seats feel good though. The exterior is growing on me, especially all black with the 10 spoke rims and aero kit. With that said I am still enjoying my 3g and maybe by 2011, when i'm in for a new car, I will be purchasing a type s sh model.
I don't think the design is the reason, I think it's a combination of the economy being bad, and some people might be waiting on the SH-AWD version. I think after the AWD version comes out you'll start to see more TLs on the road. But we have to remember that there is big difference in price between the 3rd gen and 4th gen, so the folks who were able to afford the 3rd gen probably can't afford the 4th gen, especially in these hard economic times. Most new 4th gen owners are going to be previous TL/Acura owners, and probably people are still happy with their 3rd gen TLs and are not ready for the new one yet.

Last edited by Ac Man; 10-17-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>bad design + bad economy = poor sales<<

I'd add low MPG. Acura has not improved MPG much over my 9.5 year old TL. I think a lot of people are not in the mood to spend $35,000 to $40,000 on a car (in this economy) that then needs a few more thousand a year to run, especially when money is tight and future gas prices uncertain. All that plus the cartoon body style makes a tough sell.

Do like that interior and all the gadgets though.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JeffNY
>>bad design + bad economy = poor sales<<

I'd add low MPG. Acura has not improved MPG much over my 9.5 year old TL. I think a lot of people are not in the mood to spend $35,000 to $40,000 on a car (in this economy) that then needs a few more thousand a year to run, especially when money is tight and future gas prices uncertain. All that plus the cartoon body style makes a tough sell.

Do like that interior and all the gadgets though.

I'm getting 20-21 MPG in my 4G consistently in the city......what's so "low" about that? The 4G TL is as good if not better that most of its competitors as far fuel economy....esp. given the extra weight and extra hp.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Racer

My '99 TL can 24 MPG on the highway, I have checked it several times on long trips. I get a bit less than that in the city, around 18. Acuras own rating on the '09 TL is 18 and 26. Whoopy Ding Dong. My TL is almost 10 years old. Again, how has Acura improved MPG on the new TL (10 years later)?

By the way, 10 years ago gas was around $1.39 as I recall. Today its a LOT higher. The TL needs higher MPG more than ever today. At 21 MPG you'll use 952 gallons of gas a year to go 20,000 miles. That used to cost $1335 a year. At $4 bucks a gallon that's now $3800 a year. At the current $3.30 a gallon dip in price, because of the total collapse of the economy, that's still $3140 a year for gas. You are still looking at around $8000 more, over a 4 year period, to fuel the new TL over 10 years ago. And as I like to point out, most of us buy gasoline with "after tax" dollars, so do the math. You may have to earn an additional $11,000 over that period (vs. 10 years ago) just to fuel the '09 TL.

....another reason I am passing on the '09 TL.

Last edited by JeffNY; 10-17-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wutaguy
Just Curious, you said you left and decided to move on to something else.. what would that something else be.
Most of us who have 3G's are not in the market for a new car.
I think the 4G looks nice inside and outside and wish I could get it but I am not looking for a new car right now.
Its down to an 09 G37 or 09 A4, its sad becuse I really have enjoyed my TL and like others here believe its one of the sharpest looking cars on the road... I was really looking forward to purchasing the reddesigned 4G
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffNY
My '99 TL can 24 MPG on the highway, I have checked it several times on long trips. I get a bit less than that in the city, around 18. Acuras own rating on the '09 TL is 18 and 26. Whoopy Ding Dong. My TL is almost 10 years old. Again, how has Acura improved MPG on the new TL (10 years later)?

By the way, 10 years ago gas was around $1.39 as I recall. Today its a LOT higher. The TL needs higher MPG more than ever today. At 21 MPG you'll use 952 gallons of gas a year to go 20,000 miles. That used to cost $1335 a year. At $4 bucks a gallon that's now $3800 a year. At the current $3.30 a gallon dip in price, because of the total collapse of the economy, that's still $3140 a year for gas. You are still looking at around $8000 more, over a 4 year period, to fuel the new TL over 10 years ago. And as I like to point out, most of us buy gasoline with "after tax" dollars, so do the math. You may to earn an additional $11,000 over that period (vs. 10 years ago) just to fuel the '09 TL.

....another reason I am passing on the '09 TL.
Good point, but if you're gonna pass on the '09 TL because of it's fuel economy, then I guess you're gonna pass on most, if not all of it's competition, because their fuel economy ain't much better. 1-2 miles difference in fuel economy is not a huge difference, maybe if you stretch it out over a 10 year period like you just did, then yeah it's a huge difference. But anything you stretch out over a long period of time, the difference will only get bigger, and unfortunately the average consumer doesn't think that way.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
I think it's even more horrifying in person, the buck tooth comment is spot on, this car is ugly any way you slice it.
It may drive better and the ugly girl down the street may be good in the sack, I just wouldn't get caught dead with either one of them regardless.
I agree 100% after seeing it in person, its definitely a 2 bagger
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteknight
I live in the SF Bay Area and I've got to admit I'm surprised that I have yet to see a new TL on the road. When the 3rd gen came out I saw them almost immediately. I figure it's either the economy, limited dealer inventory, or the fact that the car's front end is just butt ugly. What do you think?

I thought about trading in my Type-S for one, but after looking at it I decided to wait until the SH-AWD version comes out to make a decision. Who knows, maybe I'll keep what I have as 160K hasn't slowed down my car one bit and I still haven't had any issues since the warranty ended. I'm sold on Honda, just not maybe the new TL.
Care has been out less than 4 weeks, even if they hit target that is only 5800 cars a month, across US, I still abrely see that many 07/08 G35's and they are out 2 years, it takes a good year or 2 for a lower volume car liek the TL to be that comman. Also as mentioedn, the higher price, new mixed styling, current economy are factors and for those not needing latest car, some new Acura folks may be swayed by really cheap 08 TL's
Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Pro

Let's see... we are in the midst of one of the most severe economic slumps in our history and people have lost 40% of their 401k's and portfolios. Retail sales, home sales and auto sales are in the toilet. Wonder why we aren't seeing new TL's on the road???
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i haven't see one on the road yet here at Atlanta....
Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw 2 4G TL's, one White and the other Sterling Grayish. Both looked good in person coming the opposite way. The grille looked pretty mean looking (good thing).

I was in Hoboken, NJ yesterday (Friday).
Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Saw one in SF......... nasty....
Old 10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Racer

I think even Acura knows they screwed up the body design BAD. Have you guys seen the TV ad? Several seconds of a fist punching through a chunk of wood.....then no more than 8 seconds (I clocked it) of an actual '09 TL moving though dark streets and shadows and at fast changing angles so you can't get a good look at the car. Even Acuras own marketing department are afraid to show the car in a clear shot in daylight LOL

This isn't a "body style", it's three distinct unrelated areas ("beak", front fender "lip" and trunk) that were put on the car even though they have no related design or connection. There is no flow to the design. And why did they make the trunk [and beak] "smile"? What was the thinking behind that and how does it relate to the overall design and style of the car? It just makes no sense.

I would say the area from the front of the front door to the back of the back door looks Ok though. It's just the front and back ends of the cars design that makes no sense.

I did even see one at my dealer a few weeks ago.....I did try to give the design a fair shake with an open mind even after seeing the first pics. Only confirmed what I saw in the pics.

But as say, I DO like the interior....
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
My neighbor just got a WDP or whatever color they are calling white for the 4G. He loves it.....
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

I have one for 1 1/2 weeks, 1500 miles so far, I love it great car.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
jshoe- welcome to the forums and congrats!! Make sure you post up in the 4GTL Owner's Thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/4g-tl-owners-sign-689080/
Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
10th Gear

I purchased my 4G on 9/27 and have not seen one TL yet and I drive everywhere. My dealer has had the cars for 30 days and they have only sold three and one of these was to someone who works at the dealership. I have to admit I kinda like not seeing my car everywhere like I did with my '05. That always bothered me to death. Thank God for aftermarket wheels to distinguish yourself from everyone else.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

When the 04 came out there was nothing like it around. Now, it's not that way.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woooord... You wrote this a while back huh? Well it's mid January 2009 and haven't seen one yet other than the loaner. Well I live in the Bay Area and had a 4G TL for a loaner for 10 days. And as I got into the car I half expected to be more "aware" of other 4G's out on the rode you know? Not a single one. I drove that thing for more than a week. East Bay, the City, Sac, and to Reno. Not a single 4G ANYWHERE! That's crazy!

Last edited by Maddizm; 01-16-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

I have seen 1 AWD 2 weeks ago and 2 FWD cars in ATL since intro. But keep in mind they have only sold maybe 8K 4G cars so far and that is nation wide. Hell the current G35 is out a full 2 years and they are still fairly rare. It takes time, and the 3G was so successful I don't know how long in this economy before we see them plentiful. the 3G TL is a dime a dozen here in ATL I see a handful every day.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have seen 1 AWD 2 weeks ago and 2 FWD cars in ATL since intro. But keep in mind they have only sold maybe 8K 4G cars so far and that is nation wide. Hell the current G35 is out a full 2 years and they are still fairly rare. It takes time, and the 3G was so successful I don't know how long in this economy before we see them plentiful. the 3G TL is a dime a dozen here in ATL I see a handful every day.
Actuall we dont know Acura has moved 8 to 10K 4G TLs. as alot of it includes 08 untill December.
Judging from TSX Introduction in late April. TL is failure as TSX were on road in less than a Month in Bayarea. Here we are at 4 Month point for TL.

Bayarea dealer still have 40 New 08 TLs in mid January.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232219786445
Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Actuall we dont know Acura has moved 8 to 10K 4G TLs. as alot of it includes 08 untill December.
Judging from TSX Introduction in late April. TL is failure as TSX were on road in less than a Month in Bayarea. Here we are at 4 Month point for TL.

Bayarea dealer still have 40 New 08 TLs in mid January.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1232219786445
So far I have seen 6 4G's in the Chicago area (not including mine). I have seen only 2 current gen TSX's.....so I guess the new TSX is an even bigger failure than the TL according to your demented reasoning, eh hombre?
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys, Isn't this becoming a rehash of other, more current threads? Such as:

Sticky: Poll: Do you like the exterior design of the 2009 TL?
have you seen a 09 TL on the road other than yours yet?
Honda/Acura sales for 2008

Along with the ongoing "I bought a 3G/TSX and cannot bring myself to like the 4G, since I can't afford a new car right now, even though I've never seen the 4G." that seems to work its way into 1 out of every 3 threads! LOL