What is your rear wheel liner made of?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What is your rear wheel liner made of?

Just got my 2010 TL a few days ago - today, I am surprised to see the rear wheel liner is made of fabric, instead of plastics. The front liner is still plastic.

Apparently, there is dirt attached to the fabric.

Does yours look the same? Or they forgot to put on the liner?

Thanks - it really sucks if the latter is the case.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, its some sort of fabric/fiber. I didn't totally grasp what the rear wheel liner was made of until I got back from some muddy roads in Vermont...total pain in the ass to clean...not sure what the designers were thinking with that choice...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Front:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Rear:

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
Yeah, its some sort of fabric/fiber. I didn't totally grasp what the rear wheel liner was made of until I got back from some muddy roads in Vermont...total pain in the ass to clean...not sure what the designers were thinking with that choice...
Thanks my friend. Silly design, but at least this makes me feel better.

I sort of lose confidence with Acura/Acura dealer. I am a happy owner of 2007 RDX until they messed up with a simple rear differential fluid change, it leaked.

And my brand new TL vibrates between 70-80mph - on the bright side, I won't be speeding any more; they did a balance, which didn't fix the problem, and they said an alignment is not necessary as bad alignment won't cause vibration (which I doubt a bit). And when I got it, the coolant was below minimum. I didn't check it when I picked it up, and when I went back, they wouldn't fill it up for free, and I had to pay for a full gallon of coolant out of my own pocket.

I guess this would be my last Acura for a while. We used to own BMW and Toyota. Toyota was trouble free, and cheap to maintain/operate (eg. regular gas); BMW had a few small issues, but at least the dealer was able to honor the warranty without any questions asked.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
my 07 type s was the same way...whats the problem...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrclemson
Thanks my friend. Silly design, but at least this makes me feel better.

I sort of lose confidence with Acura/Acura dealer. I am a happy owner of 2007 RDX until they messed up with a simple rear differential fluid change, it leaked.

And my brand new TL vibrates between 70-80mph - on the bright side, I won't be speeding any more; they did a balance, which didn't fix the problem, and they said an alignment is not necessary as bad alignment won't cause vibration (which I doubt a bit). And when I got it, the coolant was below minimum. I didn't check it when I picked it up, and when I went back, they wouldn't fill it up for free, and I had to pay for a full gallon of coolant out of my own pocket.

I guess this would be my last Acura for a while. We used to own BMW and Toyota. Toyota was trouble free, and cheap to maintain/operate (eg. regular gas); BMW had a few small issues, but at least the dealer was able to honor the warranty without any questions asked.
Sorry to hear about the service issues. I've had good luck with my dealer so far, but haven't had any major services yet either. The first oil change was the cheapest I've seen in ten years!

A couple thoughts on the vibration issue:

(1) Balancing is all fine and dandy, but if the tires are defective with respect to tread pattern or composition (not an uncommon thing with any tire manufacturer), you WILL have excessive road noise/vibration/pulling. "Road force balancing" should be able to detect this (and maybe correct for it), but if it doesn't, I would demand they replace the tires. I've seen another thread (don't have the link handy) where someone with vibe/pull issues convinced a dealer to take their tires off and place them on another TL (which rode fine on its factory tires) and the same problems manifested. Given your experience with coolant, your dealer might not go for something like this, but it couldn't hurt to complain and force them to at least address the issue.

(2) The stock tires on the 18" rims (Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s) are atrocious even when they aren't defective and properly installed - my apologies to anyone thats sick of me bitching about this rubber. Check the tirerack surveys, which place them 23 out of 29 for "Grand Touring All-Seasons". Miserable for a $230 tire.

For what its worth, I've recently invested in some winter tires on the stock 18s, and the ride is much smoother - less "zig-zagging" and smoother high speed feel. Will be upgrading to 19/20" rims with non-Michelin HPTs or all-seasons in the spring.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Ya alot of the car manufacturers are using the same material in their cars. I hate the stuff too. Not sure what they are thinking. It some type of fiber composite. Meanwhile the fronts are still plastic.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
all third gens had the fabric in the rear wheel liners.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It has to be for sound deadening. Lots of cars are using them in the rear.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
It's used for NVH control. 3G TL had this as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
for the record, i also hate the oem michlens too...this is my 3rd car with this tire, and almost didnt buy the car because of them, thats how bad they are...
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read of others complaining about the inability to remove tire vibration. It seems it happens to cars that dont get moved around the lot and develop flat spots on the tires. They balance on the machine but they arent round anymore and vibrate on the road.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced

I see rust in the future. Nice water retaining fabric adjacent to metal bodywork. Awesome. Hell, the Acura Legends all had rear wheel well rust from the rubber liner that trapped water up in there. No worries though, rust shouldn't occur until after the rust warranty expires.