What is the worst line of BS an Acura service adviser tried on you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
What is the worst line of BS an Acura service adviser tried on you?

I still get the occasional "special offer" to change out my cabin air filter for only $99, but I remember this one time a service adviser tried to convince me that my 4G TL needed a power steering fluid flush. I promptly reminded him that the 4G TL is equipped with an electric power steering system. He then had the balls to tell me that the fluid is actually a lubricant that helps reduce friction. I took my keys and walked out.

What are some of your scummy stories?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Not sure if it was BS or not, but I was getting TPMS malfunction messages. The AS told me it was probably due to imbalance of tire pressure as I had nitrogen. Had to take it back 3 times before they replaced the TPMS.... which was indeed faulty.

The AS station is right next to the parts department at my dealer and they see me all the time getting fluids and etc.... and they usually don't try to sell me cabin filters and such.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
"i spoke to my manager, he said it is not covered under warranty"
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (06-11-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"your front calipers are seized because you don't drive the car enough". WTF.. it sits in the garage and only had 40K kms on it and the caliper slides were seized..

All other BS problems on the car are subsequently pushed to the same comment of 'you don't drive it enough'. Just like the 6spd manual transmission that was already replaced, and the rear brakes that were also replaced, side view mirrors replaced...... god, i could write a long laundry list of stuff they've replaced.. pathetic, Acura...
Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
they gave me my car back after 3 day 'wall job' (they park it next to the wall and dont touch it) Right Front had 5 lbs of air and 'I' was lit.

I called SA outside, he drove the car from the back, and we had just had a lengthy chat with SM about the wall job, and I ask him if he noticed that the Message light was lit up.

I didnt notice anything he says. So I tell him the 5 lbs of air message. he heads to the back and tells me to wait. he comes back a few minutes later and says "the guys in the back DID notice the light and the low tire pressure. But they know the TSX WAGON is sold without a spare so they couldnt do anything to help.

I flipped out........

They couldnt let me know
They couldnt ask me if I wanted some air or some other help.

I then hit the hatch button, lifted the panel and showed the SA that I did have a spare and a jack etc. I didnt bother to tell him i added it but just let him sit there like a dick and then closed the hatch.

I drove around back, got some air, went to Discount tire who was happy to help me remove the tire, fix the flat, rebalance the wheel, and mount it back up ALL FOR FREE.

OY

Last edited by robpp; 06-10-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
"We didn't wash your car. Those swirl marks were already there."
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Follow
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
"Hey! Are those space pants because your ass is out of this world!"
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
" no there is no need for me to go outside so you can show me whats wrong with the car, just describe it for me"

Got the car back yesterday. It is going back tomorrow for the same thing. My wife flipped out on them so the manager will be helping her this time
Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
subscribed
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
"It is within Acura specs to burn 1L of oil for 1,000Km", so I said, just to be clear I need to have case of oil in my trunk so I can fill up oil between oil changes? "Yes sir there is nothing we can do, whenever you fill up on your fuel also fill on oil." WTF, i specifically sold my previous car because it was burning 1L every 8,000Km. Now I have this wonder of technology to deal with.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
I got the, we have to disconnect your hid fogs because they caused your headlight to go out. I'd recommend you run it to a separate switch... Really!!!! I just laughed, had them put the car back together and went home to reconnect them. They didn't want to do a repair under warranty due to the hids. There's cars that come in with more mods then mine. Guess that's what happens when your friend who's the service manager leaves and a new guy comes in. I know everyone that works at Acura too! He knows me know.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Dch Acura of Verona

Sir, your coupon has an error and we are reaching out to the dealer and there website to resolve this, so I said what is wrong with the coupon I got it off acura of brooklyn's website, they replied, " its too good of a deal to be true" waited for 20 mins they came back and said ok sir we will honor this coupon but for the first and last time.

here are both links for the acura of brooklyn coupon:
Name:  brooklynacura.png
Views: 77
Size:  224.5 KB

http://www.acuraofbrooklyn.com/speci...8b7&print=true

Here is DCh Verona Acura coupon:

Name:  dchbrake.png
Views: 94
Size:  315.6 KB
http://dchmontclairacura.com/Special...debugsafe=true

which would you guys go with if you were to select a coupon above?
so because I didnt go with there coupon they said its too good to be true
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
RESOLVED ISSUE:
Me: "3rd gear pops out sometimes when I shift from 2nd-3rd with occasional 3rd gear grinding"
Acura tech: "Driver's error."

-Acura ended up replacing the 3rd gear set after complaining/visiting dealership 4 times for said issue

UNRESOLVED ISSUE:
Me: "The engine is burning oil about 1Q every 1000 miles."
Acura tech: "Completely normal, we measured and it only burned a little oil, nothing to worry about. Have a good day!"
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
^--- another 4G Washington member. Nice! What dealer do you go thru?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"your brakes screech because you brake too lightly. Brake harder and the sound will go away."
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
Sir, your coupon has an error and we are reaching out to the dealer and there website to resolve this, so I said what is wrong with the coupon I got it off acura of brooklyn's website, they replied, " its too good of a deal to be true" waited for 20 mins they came back and said ok sir we will honor this coupon but for the first and last time.

here are both links for the acura of brooklyn coupon:

http://www.acuraofbrooklyn.com/speci...8b7&print=true

Here is DCh Verona Acura coupon:

http://dchmontclairacura.com/Special...debugsafe=true

which would you guys go with if you were to select a coupon above?
so because I didnt go with there coupon they said its too good to be true

i wouldnt even take this deal.. if you knew alittle about brakes you would know that you do not need to resurface unless you have vibrations.. rotors never need to be turned if they do not have issues.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
i wouldnt even take this deal.. if you knew alittle about brakes you would know that you do not need to resurface unless you have vibrations.. rotors never need to be turned if they do not have issues.
Rotors should always be turned, the old pads will create a pattern in the rotor and once you add new pads it will almost always create a slight vibration or noise.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
^--- another 4G Washington member. Nice! What dealer do you go thru?
Acura of Bellevue
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brock79
Rotors should always be turned, the old pads will create a pattern in the rotor and once you add new pads it will almost always create a slight vibration or noise.

and you know this how? because you have been doing this your whole life?

once you put new pads you bed them, you dont go resurfacing rotors when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them..

all rotors have a min thickness, rotors are never meant to be resurfaced to begin with. If you turn them, you reduce the life of the rotor and it wont handle heat well. Go to any true performance shop, anyone of them will tell you to never turn your rotors. Hell, dealers even stopped doing it..
Old 06-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Huh. A proper brake job involves pads, and either turning or replacing the rotors. Its called a bedding process and the pads/rotors wear together. Most of the time if you just do pads, it will make noise with the old rotors.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
^not true. rotor warping is a myth(for a most part) most of the time vibrations are caused by uneven pad deposits. Please do some research.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM

^^ and deposits can be removed by scuffing the rotor with 120 grit sand paper
Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
^not true. rotor warping is a myth(for a most part) most of the time vibrations are caused by uneven pad deposits. Please do some research.
Rotor warping is a myth? Are you high? I have been a auto tech for the better part of 10 years and rotors warping is absolutely true. Ever put a run out gauge on a warped rotor and a good rotor? Obviously not. And its not just about the run out, they can be glazed as well or have hot spots and cause squeaking.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
They wanted to change blinker fluid
VR1 (06-14-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
thats the thing I have very little knowledge with brakes, and what is wrong with leaving it to the professionals, they are the ones who are certified not me.. i guess as years go by my knowledge will become stronger.

but let's not stray off-topic let's continue the thread of "the worst BS acura service".. it getting good as the blog increases in size
Old 06-11-2014, 02:43 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Not that big of a deal but back in 2005 I had a SA try to convince me to fill my MDX tires with Nitrogen for “only $49.95”… He told me that it was such a great deal because it would save me gas, it’s less corrosive and they would fill them for free whenever I needed an adjustment.. Very nicely I told him that I wasn’t interested but thanks.

He wouldn’t stop and kept up the sales pitch, so I told him that I wasn’t going spend $50 and it wasn’t convenient for me to drive 25 miles each way to put air in my tires when needed. He dropped the price to $39.95 and explained that if I didn’t do it, it would cause harm to my TPMS sensors.

I asked him if that was the case why didn’t the tires come filled from Acura with nitrogen, he had no answer. I told him I would call Acura later ( I never called) and tell them what he had told me and see what they had to say. He got a little nervous and then told me to just forget it.

The next time I went in for service he wasn't there and I haven't seen him since.

Last edited by JT4; 06-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
"The A1 service costs $120. Your Acura requires synthetic which makes it $179. Would you like to get it done today?"

Needless to say, I went to a different dealership to get my oil change for $59. This is in Houston, TX.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by DefMunkie
They wanted to change blinker fluid
Really? You kidding right?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Posts #18, #21 above are incorrect. Post # 22 is also not correct.
Rotors will last the life of the car and it is not advisable to turn them.
Let's not be posting BS on here. You guys are almost as bad as the service advisors.
HeartTLs (06-12-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 PM

thank you jim.. atleast someone has some knowledge around here.. not sure about lasting the life of the car.. but i get your point
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim_c
Posts #18, #21 above are incorrect. Post # 22 is also not correct.
Rotors will last the life of the car and it is not advisable to turn them.
Let's not be posting BS on here. You guys are almost as bad as the service advisors.
Well I guess an auto degree and a decade of experience falls victim to the internet genius. So Jim what do I tell my next customer that has a bad shake when they hit the brakes at 60mph and the rotors have 20 thousandths of run out? "I'm sorry ma'am, internet mechanic Jim said your rotors should last the life of your car, there is nothing wrong with them, have a nice day."
The following 2 users liked this post by v8eatr:
crxb (06-13-2014), wreak (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Instructor

I get that I'm probably the bad guy that's trying to screw you because I work at a dealer but 99% of you that bring your car to dealers don't know a god damned thing and think everything you read on the internet is true. If you all had the answers there wouldn't be a need for skilled technicians.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Never seen one last the life of the car and they do warp. Most of the times the rotors aren't bad and don't wear with the breaks. Operators fail to replace the brakes in time and the wear sensors cut into the rotors. When breaks start squealing it's the steel sensors hitting the rotors and create grooves. Once that's done they have to be turned to get the groove out if not to bad. Once you turn rotors Removing the material and reducing thickness you subject them to warping.

Neighbor has a 2005 Accord that he's always replacing rotors on. He turns them all the time and after a nice long drive pulls up in the driveway and rinses the car off. Always see steam pouring from the wheels once the hose hits them. Few days later he's complaining about a shake when brakes are applied. If you replace brakes on time I can see 10 yrs out of rotors being no problems.

Then brake pads also make a difference. The harder the pad the harder it is on the rotors. I use C Max ceramic from autozone. A lot of performance pads have sintered metal and metallic in the pads which eats rotors up. I'll agree with the above post to an extent rotors last a while and you don't turn them to be turning them.

My SM had me in tears last week. My car has the lifetime free oil changes and inspections so I took it in. New female comes out and tells me that the car needs an alignment. I asked how she knew it was out of spec. She said the tires are starting to show wear and it's due to alignment. I asked could it be normal wear and tear and she assures me it's alignment and fortunately they have a special going. I asked if they can give me the spec limits and they do. Put the car on the alignment machine and it's with in specs. Now I ask do I have to pay for the checking since it's within specs.

Now the head guy comes back and explains that I'm responsible for the 59.99 to check the car and would be better off getting it aligned for 179.99 that's good for 1 year with another alignment free of charge. So if the car is within spec what am I paying for. Now he tells me the reason the tires are showing the wear is because the struts are bad. The car has 24K on it, how are the struts bad. Due to the age of the car they are worn out.

I asked do you think the tires are showing wear because I play in curves and had it on the track a few times working out the AWD. He looks at me and ask why would I put it on a track. Man is my oil change done because your an idiot and I'm not paying for a lie that you told. There is no way your going to put my cat on a lift and tell me the alignment is off and just age is wearing out my suspension. I could see if one was leaking or the car was handling but just sitting. I asked how long do the struts sit on the shelf before he sells me one. He says shelf life is different because it's not holding weight. I thought the springs were holding the weight.

Had to get the GM out there to give me my car and he apologized for the misinformation I was given. From now on ill just do my oil changes at home. The free oil changes will cost me a fortune with all the issues they supposedly find wrong with the car
The following 2 users liked this post by dirtyo2000:
HeartTLs (06-12-2014), JLMore (06-21-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
"Don't believe what they say on forums and website. There's nothing wrong with your transmission"
HeartTLs (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

In reply to mr v8eatr, Yes sir I too was a licensed mechanic in the trade for 6 years. The apprenticeship, the trade school, the exams, and working on cars everyday for a living. I have also been doing brake jobs for 30 years. I also have other degrees, diplomas, and certificates if you want to compare credentials.
I did not say that all rotors will last the life of the car, I said it's possible for rotors to last the life of the car if the brake system is maintained and service regularly. See my other thread and you may get my point. I have put well over 300,000 km on a set of rotors and we have had other vehicles with over 200,000 km on the original rotors, and they're not warped. Of course it is possible for rotors to warp, but I don't think it happens very often, it's just a story that dealers use to sell parts quite often. Now scoring and rusting, that's a different story.
HeartTLs (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

"Most of the time if you just do pads, it will make noise with the old rotors. "

This was posted by my friend v8eatr.
Sorry bro' you blew your credibility here.
This is absolutely not true and I have no idea how you would think such a thing. I am not impressed by your ten years in the trade. I have met many professional mechanics who are very poorly trained and have very little scientific understanding of their job. They are just parts replacers quite often.
HeartTLs (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sympley
"It is within Acura specs to burn 1L of oil for 1,000Km", so I said, just to be clear I need to have case of oil in my trunk so I can fill up oil between oil changes? "Yes sir there is nothing we can do, whenever you fill up on your fuel also fill on oil." WTF, i specifically sold my previous car because it was burning 1L every 8,000Km. Now I have this wonder of technology to deal with.
I was just about to post your line, but figured i should read all of them first because i'm sure someone would beat me to it, and you did. LOL

Lucky for me, my car is currently undergoing an engine rebuild at the dealer due to this issue, but not without a fight with Acura Customer Relations!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
"Most of the time if you just do pads, it will make noise with the old rotors. "

This was posted by my friend v8eatr.
Sorry bro' you blew your credibility here.
This is absolutely not true and I have no idea how you would think such a thing. I am not impressed by your ten years in the trade. I have met many professional mechanics who are very poorly trained and have very little scientific understanding of their job. They are just parts replacers quite often.
Hahah, just because you've been doing it wrong for many years doesn't make it right.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor

In reply to mr v8eatr, Yes sir I too was a licensed mechanic in the trade for 6 years. The apprenticeship, the trade school, the exams, and working on cars everyday for a living. I have also been doing brake jobs for 30 years. I also have other degrees, diplomas, and certificates if you want to compare credentials.
I did not say that all rotors will last the life of the car, I said it's possible for rotors to last the life of the car if the brake system is maintained and service regularly. See my other thread and you may get my point. I have put well over 300,000 km on a set of rotors and we have had other vehicles with over 200,000 km on the original rotors, and they're not warped. Of course it is possible for rotors to warp, but I don't think it happens very often, it's just a story that dealers use to sell parts quite often. Now scoring and rusting, that's a different story.
Not everyone does mostly highway driving. I got 150,000 out of original pads/rotors on my old fusion but i drove 99% highway. That's not very common. But your "license," which I assume means ASE means absolutely nothing, it means you can answer a couple of test questions out of a book. And you said and I quote, "rotors will last the life of the car." Also please explain to me how it is not advisable to turn them if they are within spec to do so?

Quick Reply: What is the worst line of BS an Acura service adviser tried on you?