What are these pieces??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are these pieces??

just wondering what these pieces are next to the turn signals, my car doesnt have them..but ive seen some TL's that do

Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Do you own a SH-AWD? If you do you don't have them. They're just a one piece glass
Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Instructor

That's what distinguishes the FWD from the SH-AWD. They are reflectors, your AWD reflector is the shiny metal piece surrounding your fog light, and you also have a air duct directing air to the front brakes in your lower grille design.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Haha ohh ok, well ya I have an AWD so that's why I didn't know....thanks for clearing up the newb question
Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by ll_22
That's what distinguishes the FWD from the SH-AWD. They are reflectors, your AWD reflector is the shiny metal piece surrounding your fog light, and you also have a air duct directing air to the front brakes in your lower grille design.
The duct is just a hole. No air is directed at the front brakes. I want to run a duct for mine but I'm just to lazy.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they are directed to the front brakes.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
I think they are directed to the front brakes.
Wrong information. Acura made the hole but never plumbed the duct. The hole just dumps air into the wheel well.
It can be plumbed for a resonable price (>$150 both) and around 1/2 day labor in your garage.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wrong information. Acura made the hole but never plumbed the duct. The hole just dumps air into the wheel well.
It can be plumbed for a resonable price (>$150 both) and around 1/2 day labor in your garage.
maybe you should help acura edit their web site

I just cut and pasted this :
"Ducts in the front air dam of TL SH-AWD models channel air directly to the front brakes for additional cooling."

You could edit it to this maybe: "Holes in the front air dam of TL SH-AWD models channel air directly into the wheel well."
Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
^
Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
don't be so sure though, look at the backing plate for the brakes, more then likely will have a scoop looking like thing sticking out from it, in order to catch the air from that front duct and direct it towards the brakes

don't get me wrong, probably not going to be as effective as actually putting a tube/hose all the way to the brakes from the duct opening, but it is ALOT BETTER then nothing though

Originally Posted by crxb

"Ducts in the front air dam of TL SH-AWD models channel air directly to the front brakes for additional cooling."

You could edit it to this maybe: "Holes in the front air dam of TL SH-AWD models channel air directly into the wheel well."
lol
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by crxb

Originally Posted by friesm2000
don't be so sure though, look at the backing plate for the brakes, more then likely will have a scoop looking like thing sticking out from it, in order to catch the air from that front duct and direct it towards the brakes

don't get me wrong, probably not going to be as effective as actually putting a tube/hose all the way to the brakes from the duct opening, but it is ALOT BETTER then nothing though

(It is out of focus, but that is the hole from the front of the car in the middle of this photo)

Yes there is a scoop that comes up on the bottom of the dust shield towards the front of the car. But this is inside the wheel. The amount of air caught by this scoop would be no more than any other dust shield on any other car. I think proper ducting was the plan, but for some reason Acura never connected a duct to the back of the brakes.

(Ducting directed at back of rotor-Vette)

Without a way to channel the air coming in to the wheel well, it will do nothing more than bounce over the wheel and out the side. The opposite is true for cars with ducting as well. Put too much air into the inside of the wheel and it will be pushed out the inside of the wheel disrupting air flow around the side of the car (An issue for the designers of the C5 Z-06 Vette).

I had brought up this issue before here in AZ, but the overall consensus was that spending the time to properly duct the 4G TL (even if it would eliminate the brake fade issue with the car) wasn’t worth the effort.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
(It is out of focus, but that is the hole from the front of the car in the middle of this photo)

Yes there is a scoop that comes up on the bottom of the dust shield towards the front of the car. But this is inside the wheel. The amount of air caught by this scoop would be no more than any other dust shield on any other car. I think proper ducting was the plan, but for some reason Acura never connected a duct to the back of the brakes.
(Ducting directed at back of rotor-Vette)

Without a way to channel the air coming in to the wheel well, it will do nothing more than bounce over the wheel and out the side. The opposite is true for cars with ducting as well. Put too much air into the inside of the wheel and it will be pushed out the inside of the wheel disrupting air flow around the side of the car (An issue for the designers of the C5 Z-06 Vette).

I had brought up this issue before here in AZ, but the overall consensus was that spending the time to properly duct the 4G TL (even if it would eliminate the brake fade issue with the car) wasn’t worth the effort.
normally designed to poke out from the wheel in most cases, but i guess not in this case though, and maybe they had originally designed it for a narrower rim then (or lower offset)

and as far as doing it like on that corvette LMFAO, not from the factory, the hose is WAY too expensive (i can understand doing the shield and what not, cause that is just bending it slightly different, then the wheel well liner is just molding it different, with a minimal increase in costs
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I like the look of the full reflector. If the hole doesn't do any real cooling, I may look at swapping.

And btw, great screen name Kenny effin powers!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you want to get more cool air into the brake rotor, start with removing the dust shield.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by friesm2000
normally designed to poke out from the wheel in most cases, but i guess not in this case though, and maybe they had originally designed it for a narrower rim then (or lower offset)

and as far as doing it like on that corvette LMFAO, not from the factory, the hose is WAY too expensive (i can understand doing the shield and what not, cause that is just bending it slightly different, then the wheel well liner is just molding it different, with a minimal increase in costs
That is most likely the reason we didn't get a plumbed duct...cost.