what sold you on the 4th gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what sold you on the 4th gen TL

just curious as to what are some of the defining and wow features that overall led you owners to purchase a 09-10 TL
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to tell the truth. Our 2007 lease was at its end, dumb move to lease this car but that is another story. We looked at all the competition and this was still the best choice for the money and yes this time we purchased the car. I have to admit the car drives great but is a little more luxury than the 07 which felt much more of a sports car.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
im on the same boat as the above poster but i also bought it because i like how it sticks out in a parking lot...lol...i like the styling
Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd have to say since I enjoyed my '06 6MT so much, that when Acura offered a more powerful engine & AWD coupled with the 6MT, I was sold.

I wasn't even really looking, but after driving it, I thought it was a great upgrade to the '06. I have also really grown to like the unique styling. I hardly see any other 4G SH-AWD around my neck of the woods.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
AWD + 6MT combo and performance, unique styling, Honda/Acura resale, reliability, safety, value, ease and low cost of maintenance. Mid level luxury sedan size, space and comfort for less than some equally equipped entry costs.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I didn't care too much about what the car looked like.

I have believed in the idea behind SH-AWD ever since it was introduced, and I have always believed in Honda reliability since my first experience with Honda in 1989.

I waited for SH-AWD to become available in a reasonably priced regular car, and I waited an extra year to get the six speed manual.

The 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech 6-6 is simply a very reasonable thing to buy for an automotive enthusiast who must do a lot of driving, and sometimes carry passengers.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Instructor

...the SH-AWD.

And it has been totally worth it!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by xrays
...the SH-AWD.

And it has been totally worth it!
Ditto !
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
handling
Old 01-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Coming out of the TSX it was the ride, smoothness and the tech package stereo. I have to admit, the TL does not change lanes like my TSX did, but that is what I have my Miata for.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
SH-AWD & Interior

I had an 06 TL, then an 08 TL-S.... i went to Acura to look at the SH-AWD and take it for a spin.... I was almost ready to sign, when i saw the interior with the Tech Package... then i took it for a ride and was convinced. plus the styling (despite popular opinion last year) is out of control... sexiest car in its class, no question.

Like i said over, and over, and over again.... people will LOVE the 4G... Acura (& honda) is always ahead of its time.... in about another 6-12 months, The sales on 4G are going to sky rocket, and it will assume the same place in the Luxury car line up, like the 3G did.... everybody is going to buy this car
Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
SH-AWD, Interior comfort for driver and passenger (front and rear), slick 6 speed manual transmission, overall high reliability

305 hp V6 engine doesn't hurt

I shopped (and had to reshop twice to my dismay) numerous AWD sedans (328/335/528/535xi, G37x, IS, A4, A6, WRX, Legacy, C class, etc.). The 4G TL combined all aforementioned qualities into one package.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced

the toys (tech pack) and sh-awd
Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2006 got stolen and totalled, so I wanted to buy a used BMW 535i, but all the low mile 2008's with a decent warranty were around 37-40k with nice options. The 535i though is easily modded to around 380hp and torque, but I hate all the packages on the BMW's and if you like the gadgets, the options can add 8-10k. Also, the 535 is slightly smaller than the TL and doesn't have as much rear seat room.

I also looked at the new Taurus SHO, since I have owned five of the 1989-1995 models and still have my 1995, but even though it has a twin turbo 365 hp motor, I just didn't like it overall. It does have all wheel drive and is about the same price as a SH-AWD, but I doubt it will hold it's value in the long run. Another thing I hate, is the base version looks virtually the same.

I wasn't even considering a new TL, because I was completely turned off by it's styling and I still don't really like it completely, but I do agree that it is unique and probably ahead of it's time. The interior is, to me, the best interior in the business. I love all the buttons and that everything is lit. The ELS stereo sounds a little better to me than in the 06 TL. The car is so smooth and the engine and transmission are flawless. So when you consider all the features and refinement, its a great package.

I opted not to get the SH-AWD for several reasons, although I probably would have like it, but just didn't feel that it was necessary. I also did not get the 18" wheel upgrade, because although I love the upgraded wheels over the base wheels, which are horrible looking, I didn't feel it was worth $1000 for different wheels. So I will put the $1000 towards aftermarket wheels and tires and still have the 17" ones for winter wheels.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I have car ADD

check out this article

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/aud...8/article.html

apparently the 4G has the best OEM car stereo. ever. i agree.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was sold on the new features like keyless access, push button start, the great sound system, the beautiful interior, upgraded nav screen, and the SH-AWD feature. The styling played a factor also, but wasn't a big issue. I liked the exterior from the get go, but admitted that Acura could've come up with a better design. I never really had an issue with the grill, so I guess I am one of the few who wasn't bothered by it, and I didn't need the styling to grow on me.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ac Man
I was sold on the new features like keyless access, push button start, the great sound system, the beautiful interior, upgraded nav screen, and the SH-AWD feature. The styling played a factor also, but wasn't a big issue. I liked the exterior from the get go, but admitted that Acura could've come up with a better design. I never really had an issue with the grill, so I guess I am one of the few who wasn't bothered by it, and I didn't need the styling to grow on me.

Ditto! For the first time in my lifeI can easilly afford any car in this class or the next level up. I do however like what I like. I LOVE all of the tech goodies and the handling. I honestly believe that if my salary went up 250K I would still stay with this Acura.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I loved all the awesome tech stuff. The push button start, keyless access, and upgraded Nav. The handling was amazing when I took it for a test drive (SHAWD), and the addition of 6MT sealed the deal.

^^I agree if my salary jumped to $250k, or I won the lottery, I would stay with this car for my daily driver. I would probably get something for a weekend ride.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
... and the tech package stereo. .
I have to confess that although I was aware of the relationship with ELS, I didn't even turn the stereo on when I was on my test drives.

Salesmen kept turning it on and talking about it, and I'd turn it off and ask other questions.

I had no idea how great the ELS audio was until weeks after buying the car. ELS had nothing to do with why I bought the car, but now that I own it I feel silly for not knowing about it ahead of time.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gorgeous interior, SH-AWD, top notch stereo, tech goodies to fulfill all my dreams, good refined engine and ride, the unique exterior looks and Acura/ Honda reliability.

I also had a great business relationship with the Honda dealer in my city and Honda & Acura are owned by the same businessman. So far, the great customer service has done a good share of keeping me satisfied with my product.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I came from an 2006 Accord (I4) , and I just really wanted something with a nicer interior and a V6. On my testdrive I noted that 1. The ride is firmer than the Accord. 2. There is less body roll.

My favorite things are the quiet ride, the powerful engine, and the "S" mode in the transmission. All the great technology features too.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Gadgets (esp. the awesome ELS stereo)
2. Interior styling
3. Price/Value
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

The way it drove! There were things I liked about other cars, but no one car integrated them all like the SH-AWD. It was fast, but quiet. It was large, but didn't handle like a car of its size. The suspension was taut, but not too much so. It could be a comfy cruiser or a boy-racer at the flick of a switch.

I'm a long-term Honda buyer, so all the controls were familiar to me. I liked the display color scheme--very straightforward--blue/white. I do a LOT of music listening in the car, so a competent OEM stereo was very important to me. The ELS does not disappoint.

One small thing that really made a difference to me personally was the fact that Acura offered a rear seat cover. I have two children in car seats and was agonizing over how to deal with that issue. Nobody else offered such an accessory. I bought it with the car and don't fret so much about the seats. Plus it's black and so is the interior, so you don't really notice it.

Are their cars which do individual things better than the SH-AWD? Sure. But I challenge you to find any that does as much as well and at that price point. I spent six months researching and driving cars, so I turned over most of the rocks, the Acura was the second car I drove, and I just kept coming back to it.

The styling has grown on me. The previous generation TLs were so bland, I never gave them a second look. The 4G is not bland, that's for sure. It isn't beautiful like a BMW, or curvy like the Infiniti, but screams aggression and "I don't give a shit if you think I'm pretty or not."
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Milliron
The 4G is not bland, that's for sure. It isn't beautiful like a BMW, or curvy like the Infiniti, but screams aggression and "I don't give a shit if you think I'm pretty or not."
F-Yea! That is the quote of the night!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I chose the TL because after my first deployment, a SSG showed me his new 2007 TL type S (it was the red color) and all of the features it had. It completely won me over. I decided that if I was going to stick with Honda later on when I was in the market for a new car, I would get something exactly like that. Then fast forward to before my first deployment started and after I helped my wife buy our first new car (the Honda Accord) I decided that I liked the Accord Coupe as a sporty car, but didn't want to have two Accords.

I also liked to be able to do up a JDM-themed Honda/Acura in the future and was initially checking out the TSX or RL and then I stumbled upon the TL. The looks didn't turn me off of it, instead they drew me in and one night in early spring of 2009, I saw a borealius blue pearl TL driving in front of me and was captivated by that color and the car itself. We went to the lot days later to look at them and I was sold. Then I deployed and had to sit here looking through Acurazine every day looking at people's cars and deciding I wanted this car no matter what.

It also helps that the TL had AWD and a 6spd, and I was sold!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
SH-AWD
Interior Space
Honda Dependability
Crash Safety Rating
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Instructor

As a two timed former Accord owner I aways envied the TL. It had everything my Accord didn't and that always ate at me. I'm sure the 3G's rep played a huge role in my immediate test drive of the 4G as soon as my Accord lease was up. No other car in the class combines everything as well as the 4G does. The looks combined with the price I was able to work out sealed the deal for me.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
WDP SH-AWD TL

Honda reliability
AWD
No online forums dedicated to the 4G and no enthusiasts doing mods so I wouldn't be tempted to spend even more money on my car!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
AWD
Technology Package
Sound System
Umber Interior
Engine
Balance of Sport and Luxury

BTW, I am new and a proud owner of a 2009 Acura TL Mayan Bronze with Umber Interior Technology Package and All Wheel Drive. Slightly used(2500 miles) and got a great price from Inskip Acura in Rhode Island
Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
My Top 5 things as to why I got 4G AWD
1. RIDE
2. RIDE
3. RIDE
4. Cabin comfort (seats in particular)
5. ELS

and a clsoe 6th - 10th RIDE... RIDE... RIDE.... etc

After 12 months I still am not excited about the look especially the nose, but damn this baby drives so good!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by Spud35
Honda reliability
AWD
No online forums dedicated to the 4G and no enthusiasts doing mods so I wouldn't be tempted to spend even more money on my car!

HA!

Stick around for a while.... your pockets will be getting lighter....

So far, there is

Takeda Intake
RonJon Grille
OEM Underbody kit
H&R Springs (AWD)
Eibach Springs & Tein Coilovers (FWD)
Progress RSB (FWD)
UR Pulley
P2R TB Spacer
P2R IM Gaskets

Soon (2010)

XLR8 Exhaust
XLR8 J-Pipe
XLR8 Hi Flow Cat
CT-E Exhaust
CT-E Supercharger
CT-E Intake w/ Carbon Fiber Lid
ATLP Exhaust
RonJon Lip Kit
RonJon Wheel Assortment for 4G
AEM Cold Air Intake
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Instructor

As I posted earlier in got in it for the SH-AWD.

But nearly a year later, let me tell you what rocks about this car...
-smooth as silk ride
-love the thicker steering wheel
-comfortable seats
-nice interior design
-stereo system that is amazing. I prefer to be alone in the car so I can crank it up!
-love the bluetooth audio. No more cables to fumble with on the iPhone.
-my music on the HDD
-keyless entry, trunk, and start
-luxurious thud when I shut the doors
-agressive, futuristic exterior design. There's been a lot of talk about the exterior design, maybe too much talk, but I love it. I've gotten several compliments on it (by the way I never got a single comment on our old 99 Audi A4)
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KeithL
My Top 5 things as to why I got 4G AWD
1. RIDE
2. RIDE
3. RIDE
4. Cabin comfort (seats in particular)
5. ELS

and a clsoe 6th - 10th RIDE... RIDE... RIDE.... etc

After 12 months I still am not excited about the look especially the nose, but damn this baby drives so good!
Well I can bet it wasn't for the look!!!!

I can not believe anyone would by a car that they didn't like the look of regardless of what else it offered. There is not way I would buy an Ugly car!!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJack75

I can not believe anyone would by a car that they didn't like the look of regardless of what else it offered. There is not way I would buy an Ugly car!!!!
Jealousy will get you no where my friend !!!

I get a lot more thumbs up in my 4G then I ever did in my 3G. I never thought it would be that way because of all the online hatred but I guess when people actually see it in the wild they love it a lot more then hate it.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringLow
just curious as to what are some of the defining and wow features that overall led you owners to purchase a 09-10 TL
The lease on my 3G TL was four months from ending, so I went to the Acura dealer where I had purchased it to test drive the 4G 3.5 w/ Tech. I wasn't all that impressed because it felt very... I dunno... wobbly, cushy, unresponsive on the test drive. Sort of a yawn compared to the 3G.

Two weeks later I brought my 3G in to the dealer for new brakes. When I came back to pick up the 3G, the sales guy had a 4G SH-AWD parked next to mine, threw me the keys and said "Let's go for a test drive."

The difference between the 3.5 and SH-AWD was REMARKABLE to say the least.

Even though I had just dumped a fortune into new brakes and tires on the 3G, I came back a week later to buy the 4G SH-AWD.

What sold me was the absolutely fantastic handling and the advanced technology, all of which were an unbelievable value even at the $43K MSRP. I don't recall exactly, but I think they dropped the price about $5K or more before we were all done.

It was a no brainer.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love lots of cool gadgets in the car, and this had the best value and it holds onto it well over time, plus reliability.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJack75

Never said it was ugly, just does not wow me. What I came to realize is I buy a car to DRIVE and while I am not in love with the 4G look of all the cars I drove it blew them all away. I truly LOVE drivng the 4G AWD, it is an amazing drive. The only car I felt drove better was the BMW3, but it was smaller less equipped and more expensive. I looked at G37, A4, IS, looked at CTS (but did not drive it), Genesis. The G was close, almost got it, but it was too snug inside and their tech is not as good as Acura, also road noise was more noticiable.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A little off topic, but I wonder who the youngest 4G owner is on the board?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 AM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

1. Honda's reliability
2. SH-AWD
3. Safety rating
4. Best value when compared to my other options (C300 4-matic and IS250 AWD)
Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
A little off topic, but I wonder who the youngest 4G owner is on the board?
I would hate to win this award but im 21. anyone else?

Quick Reply: what sold you on the 4th gen TL