View Poll Results: What features would you like on the next TL?
An even bigger buck tooth front end
8.33%
A redesign of the front end without the beak
26.39%
A better rear design
18.06%
Better roadside noise reductions
40.28%
More models to choose from
11.11%
A sports model with 500 HP - MPG be damned
29.17%
A hybrid model - 250 HP and 40MPG plus
15.28%
An AWD model to help in the winter
15.28%
A cooled cupholder
13.89%
A padded/quieter sunglass holder
26.39%
A padded/quieter glove compartment
12.50%
Auto dimming side view mirrors
38.89%
A power outlet in the armrest with a switch to stay on when the key is off
20.83%
An improved GPS - touch and knob input, better voice recognition, easier sync with outlook contacts
26.39%
ventilated seats
47.22%
A free bottle of touch up paint
9.72%
less rattles
25.00%
Adaptive headlights/high beams
38.89%
LED elements in the front
45.83%
more technology - e.g. HUD or mirror readouts
41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

What features would you like most in your next TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
What features would you like most in your next TL?

I'm hoping I'll be able to add more choices to the polls as people post their thoughts on this topic. I've seen ideas posted in many threads - thought I'd make a poll. I figure the more HP will be the most popular even though my old 2001 TL has all the HP I need, I'd rather see one with lower MPG. I would however like to see some other significant changes.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ooh i love these! but no offense, i will make my own list ok? this is for the automatic SHAWD model.

-standard "soft" suspension for the SHAWD model, with a sport suspension option (don't force the people that don't want FWD to deal with stiff suspension)
-Quieter throughout, better bump absorption in terms of noise.
-more engine options, for example, a 200hp hybrid, 300hp mid level model, 375-400hp "sport" model. FWD and SHAWD option for 200hp model (not everyone needs shawd to out-handle, some just for snow), SHAWD standard for other two
-0-60 in 7.5 seconds for 200hp hybrid model, low 5's for 300hp model, mid 4's for 400hp model. Though, it's really not about more hp, it's about the faster car. I'm sure we'd all be happy if our 250hp TL whooped on 335's and G37's all day.
-more low end torque on all engines, I don't like revving it up to 3k just to keep up with morning street traffic.
-ventilated front seats that BLOW cooled air like the current RL, not suck air like the useless ones in the ZDX/MDX, heated rear seats
-either cooled glove compartment or cooled armrest compartment
-dedicated fabric lined cell phone / smart phone holders
-dedicated coin holder
-stronger leather for the milano seats
-options for brown / dark grey / black wood trim, or piano black trim
-more cup holders (reeeeeeally helps during road trips)
-more user friendly nav with touch screen and control knob, think garmin
-faster USB interface for mp3's, ipod, etc
-larger glove compartment
-panoramic moonroof with 1 touch auto open/tilt up/close, not like the ZDX where you need to hold it to close
-option for adaptive + bi-xenon headlights, but still with a DRL that doubles for high beams when HIDs are not on
-flat rear seat floor (helps rear seat 3 person comfort on levels you cannot imagine)
-split folding rear seats
-"sports back" option/model (like the audi A5 sportsback)
-adjustable option for suspension, steering feedback, throttle response
-lighter, closer to 3600-3700lb for SHAWD model, 3400-3500 for 200hp / fwd / hybrid model
-less cheap/tacky plastics (see all shiny "silver" coated audio/nav buttons, and top of door handle buttons) Instead, use more of the stiff and substantial feeling black buttons used elsewhere with a solid feel.
-automatic up/down on all 4 windows, not just front 2
-black headliner
-white license plate lights standard
-better looking car
-bluetooth to automatically transfer calls from phone to car when using the phone to make calls (aka, no need to touch "transfer" on either your phone or the car when using your phone to dial)
-automatic syncing (adding only) of phone numbers / contacts
-more frequently updated points of interest
-real metal plated door handles, not cheap honda silver plastic door handles
-LED's in each of the interior door handle slots (like the ZDX), and on the outside, under each door handle (like the 335i)
-flat trunk floor, and trunk tray that does not have the stupid boarder 2/3's of the way down because they wanted to save a few bucks
-more solid feeling door closing sound
-automatic headlights that turn on when you take the car out of park (but have the parking lights turn on when you enter, to light up surroundings) The current system where the HID's are constantly going on n off when i get stuff from my car is irritating and will definitely shorted the life of the HIDs, which are not made for short bursts.
-more wheel options, colors
-brighter LED footwell lighting, include rear footwell lighting. The current system is so dim it's not even noticeable unless you look for it. See lexus for a good example.
-better feeling headrest
-lower the lumbar (supposed to be for lower back! not midback!)
-better designed armrest that slides, the current one is an awkward "U" shape that even feels like a U regardless of whether or not that small middle section is extended, extremely uncomfortable and awkward looking
-manual shift gate for the automatic transmission
-6 speed + automatic transmission
-keyless access sensors/buttons on the rear doors
-better rear visibility (this car has worse visibility than an Audi A5!)
-better designed rear headrest that don't manually need to be put down in order to get marginally better rear visibility, this is tacky.
-larger sunglass holder (some sunglasses don't fit)
-auto dimming side mirrors
-at least 3 levels of heated seats. The current configuration is either barely noticeable, or incinerate, pretty annoying. Try a "off, low, mid high" option. Same goes for ventilated seats, it should be "off, low, mid, high" or go from barely on "i just want to feel some circulation" to "i want my butt not to be sweaty after the gym" to "it's 100+ degrees and i want my balls frozen"

Obviously, these would drastically increase the price of the car, but before anyone complains, there are TRIM LEVELS and OPTIONS. So those who are afraid of tech or "don't think this is necessary" can always get the lower more value oriented models (or just buy a honda).
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
ooh i love these! but no offense, i will make my own list ok? this is for the automatic SHAWD model.

-standard "soft" suspension for the SHAWD model, with a sport suspension option (don't force the people that don't want FWD to deal with stiff suspension)
-Quieter throughout, better bump absorption in terms of noise.
-more engine options, for example, a 200hp hybrid, 300hp mid level model, 375-400hp "sport" model. FWD and SHAWD option for 200hp model (not everyone needs shawd to out-handle, some just for snow), SHAWD standard for other two
-0-60 in 7.5 seconds for 200hp hybrid model, low 5's for 300hp model, mid 4's for 400hp model. Though, it's really not about more hp, it's about the faster car. I'm sure we'd all be happy if our 250hp TL whooped on 335's and G37's all day.
-more low end torque on all engines, I don't like revving it up to 3k just to keep up with morning street traffic.
-ventilated front seats that BLOW cooled air like the current RL, not suck air like the useless ones in the ZDX/MDX, heated rear seats
-either cooled glove compartment or cooled armrest compartment
-dedicated fabric lined cell phone / smart phone holders
-dedicated coin holder
-stronger leather for the milano seats
-options for brown / dark grey / black wood trim, or piano black trim
-more cup holders (reeeeeeally helps during road trips)
-more user friendly nav with touch screen and control knob, think garmin
-faster USB interface for mp3's, ipod, etc
-larger glove compartment
-panoramic moonroof with 1 touch auto open/tilt up/close, not like the ZDX where you need to hold it to close
-option for adaptive + bi-xenon headlights, but still with a DRL that doubles for high beams when HIDs are not on
-flat rear seat floor (helps rear seat 3 person comfort on levels you cannot imagine)
-split folding rear seats
-"sports back" option/model (like the audi A5 sportsback)
-adjustable option for suspension, steering feedback, throttle response
-lighter, closer to 3600-3700lb for SHAWD model, 3400-3500 for 200hp / fwd / hybrid model
-less cheap/tacky plastics (see all shiny "silver" coated audio/nav buttons, and top of door handle buttons) Instead, use more of the stiff and substantial feeling black buttons used elsewhere with a solid feel.
-automatic up/down on all 4 windows, not just front 2
-black headliner
-white license plate lights standard
-better looking car
-bluetooth to automatically transfer calls from phone to car when using the phone to make calls (aka, no need to touch "transfer" on either your phone or the car when using your phone to dial)
-automatic syncing (adding only) of phone numbers / contacts
-more frequently updated points of interest
-real metal plated door handles, not cheap honda silver plastic door handles
-LED's in each of the interior door handle slots (like the ZDX), and on the outside, under each door handle (like the 335i)
-flat trunk floor, and trunk tray that does not have the stupid boarder 2/3's of the way down because they wanted to save a few bucks
-more solid feeling door closing sound
-automatic headlights that turn on when you take the car out of park (but have the parking lights turn on when you enter, to light up surroundings) The current system where the HID's are constantly going on n off when i get stuff from my car is irritating and will definitely shorted the life of the HIDs, which are not made for short bursts.
-more wheel options, colors
-brighter LED footwell lighting, include rear footwell lighting. The current system is so dim it's not even noticeable unless you look for it. See lexus for a good example.
-better feeling headrest
-lower the lumbar (supposed to be for lower back! not midback!)
-better designed armrest that slides, the current one is an awkward "U" shape that even feels like a U regardless of whether or not that small middle section is extended, extremely uncomfortable and awkward looking
-manual shift gate for the automatic transmission
-6 speed + automatic transmission
-keyless access sensors/buttons on the rear doors
-better rear visibility (this car has worse visibility than an Audi A5!)
-better designed rear headrest that don't manually need to be put down in order to get marginally better rear visibility, this is tacky.
-larger sunglass holder (some sunglasses don't fit)
-auto dimming side mirrors
-at least 3 levels of heated seats. The current configuration is either barely noticeable, or incinerate, pretty annoying. Try a "off, low, mid high" option. Same goes for ventilated seats, it should be "off, low, mid, high" or go from barely on "i just want to feel some circulation" to "i want my butt not to be sweaty after the gym" to "it's 100+ degrees and i want my balls frozen"

Obviously, these would drastically increase the price of the car, but before anyone complains, there are TRIM LEVELS and OPTIONS. So those who are afraid of tech or "don't think this is necessary" can always get the lower more value oriented models (or just buy a honda).
No offense at all! I like several of your ideas including the cell phone holder, larger glove compartment and coin holder.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-05-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I would love to have fold down rear seats!!! Does anyone else want this too?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
more modern hid or whatever DRL's
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
I would love to have fold down rear seats!!! Does anyone else want this too?
+100000

I would gladly pay to have this option, even now as a "mod." My 1G TSX had this, and I miss it sorely.

If the A4, S4, A6, 3/5 series can have split fold down rear seats, why can't the TL?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
+100000

I would gladly pay to have this option, even now as a "mod." My 1G TSX had this, and I miss it sorely.

If the A4, S4, A6, 3/5 series can have split fold down rear seats, why can't the TL?
Hey, docboy, you also came from a 1G TSX? Me too! Yes, and I miss the fold-down rear seats so much!!!

I don't get it - none of the Japanese luxury brands offer fold-down rear seats - look at Acura, Infiniti, Lexus - I don't think that any of their sedans have this feature! Like you said, Audi, BMW, MB all offer this. So strange!

If another salesperson tells me that Acura did not do so to improve the "rigidity" of the body, I am gonna smack him! LOL Surely, Audi, BMW and MB have sufficient "rigidity" in their cars with fold-down rear seats....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fold down seats.
Integrated phone and nav (they're essentially separate now.)
Nav provide more data on trip computer
Quiet the jiggles
Pad the cubbies
Hide the styrofoam in the front fender doorsills
Adjustable (or less painful) head restraints
Better voice command system - maybe the Microsoft Sync system
Better searching on iPods - make a fast scroll jump 20, 100 records instead of 5.
Include the cargo net with the car rather than nickeling us for another $125.
Improve the AWD up to Audi levels; at least have it engaged when stopped so there's no engagement delay on start on a wet grate on a hill.
Pad all the cubbies. Quashing rattles should come right after making the ride more composed.
Side and rear proximity audio warnings.

The styling didn't bug me too much (though I had the grill painted as part of my purchase), and the car has gobs of power and handles great. All the big things are there; Just fix the small things.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2 less doors
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
+1

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
2 less doors
ahhh deffff!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

There have been some good suggestions - wish I could add more choices! I'm not saying I would or wouldn't want these things but if the mods can add choices -

fold down rear seats
a 2 door model
MS Sync
better headrests
cell phone holder
USB 3.0
larger glove compartment
dedicated coin holder
more trim options
keyless access
Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM

IMHO quite a few of the "wish list" items are small and can be added with a minimal increase in cost, and would do well to add even more value:

For example, how much really would it cost Acura to add:

0) Fold down rear seats
1) A padded sunglass holder
2) A more useful/larger gloveholder (current one can barely hold my wallet)
3) A more comfy arm rest w/a dedicated coin holder a la the TSX (current arm rest is a little too far back)
4) Faster MP3 search
5) A flat trunk floor
6) The TL's interior has small raised "steps and linings." Get rid of them for more space and room (though I think Acura did this intentionally to have a perfectly flat exterior underside).
7) More storage cubbies and collapsible side door compartments
8) I'm beginning to see how the head restraints can be annoying; my neck and upper shoulder are starting to feel out of its natural resting position. Surely these restraints can be redesigned and still be "active"
9) Brighter ambient lightening
10) Have both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse, not just one

Ventilated seats, bixenon HIDs, proximity warnings, and adaptive suspension would increase the cost IMHO quite a bit, but as options, those who want them will pay for them.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMHO quite a few of the "wish list" items are small and can be added with a minimal increase in cost, and would do well to add even more value:

For example, how much really would it cost Acura to add:

0) Fold down rear seats
1) A padded sunglass holder
2) A more useful/larger gloveholder (current one can barely hold my wallet)
3) A more comfy arm rest w/a dedicated coin holder a la the TSX (current arm rest is a little too far back)
4) Faster MP3 search
5) A flat trunk floor
6) The TL's interior has small raised "steps and linings." Get rid of them for more space and room (though I think Acura did this intentionally to have a perfectly flat exterior underside).
7) More storage cubbies and collapsible side door compartments
8) I'm beginning to see how the head restraints can be annoying; my neck and upper shoulder are starting to feel out of its natural resting position. Surely these restraints can be redesigned and still be "active"
9) Brighter ambient lightening
10) Have both side mirrors tilt down when in reverse, not just one

Ventilated seats, bixenon HIDs, proximity warnings, and adaptive suspension would increase the cost IMHO quite a bit, but as options, those who want them will pay for them.

I did not know Acura deleted the bi-xenon's in the 4G. How disappointing. I hate when manufacturers delete features in a new generation yet continue to raise the price.

Same thing with the Maxima, used to have power folding mirrors and rear heated seats, both got deleted for the new generation.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
I did not know Acura deleted the bi-xenon's in the 4G. How disappointing. I hate when manufacturers delete features in a new generation yet continue to raise the price.

Same thing with the Maxima, used to have power folding mirrors and rear heated seats, both got deleted for the new generation.
I agree, to save costs, or maybe the manufacturer thought it was no longer necessary?

Power folding mirrors are a nice luxury item to have; my in laws 10 year old benz ML 320 has it, and I was impressed by it when we parked in a shopping plaza.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't know if the lack of bi-xenon is a downgrade in this case. Acura's old bi setup didn't use auto leveling and bi-xenons are usually one bulb/beam with two settings or basically a deflector to increase range, where now they use a seperate two bulb system which makes it easier to incorporate AFS and maybe it prolongs the life of the bulb. I know that if the xenon goes out the high beam can still operate and I think on Acuras the high even comes on at half power in this case so it also serves as a backup or secondary system.

Acura does not design the adaptive lighting's high beam to swivel, which is a good idea and I am not sure that many do. If the former TL's had auto leveling it would bother me but in this case it's no better or worse and since the potential for AFS is there lets hope they make it available for MMC.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't mind if the purpose was just to keep the value in line.. but isn't the TL moving up market? If anything, they should have included bi-xenons AND adaptive headlights instead of changing it to normal HIDs.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It would be interesting to see a poll from early 2008 to see what people wanted in the next TL. LOL it's probably filled with things like, push button start, bigger rims, better Navi, AWD or RWD, more power....
Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with many of the items mentioned. I too wish that a 2 door was available. One thing that has bugged me from the moment I told delivery of the 11 TL is the crappy tilt wheel set up. I would have preferred an electric memory set-up. My next item on the wish list is better quality interior materials. Much more soft touch plastic on the dash and door panels. I also vote for higher quality interior door handles. Already stated in another post, but I'm going to mention it again, is a place to store/hide your smart phone that has a charger port. Currently, there is a drawer in the console lid, but no way to route a charger cord into the drawer.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't know if the lack of bi-xenon is a downgrade in this case. Acura's old bi setup didn't use auto leveling and bi-xenons are usually one bulb/beam with two settings or basically a deflector to increase range, where now they use a seperate two bulb system which makes it easier to incorporate AFS and maybe it prolongs the life of the bulb. I know that if the xenon goes out the high beam can still operate and I think on Acuras the high even comes on at half power in this case so it also serves as a backup or secondary system.

Acura does not design the adaptive lighting's high beam to swivel, which is a good idea and I am not sure that many do. If the former TL's had auto leveling it would bother me but in this case it's no better or worse and since the potential for AFS is there lets hope they make it available for MMC.
Yeah, its a downgrade, trust me. Let's look at this logically. They offered a feature that came at a lower price for a vehicle. They raised the price of their vehicle and took away that feature. Definitely less bang for your buck. Same thing with the ELS sound system and perforated leather I mentioned earlier. Acura is not alone in this, as I pointed out. Your paying more, for less features. Makes no sense what so ever.

You really need to stop making excuses. Its getting old and tired. You say there are things you wish they did differently but you never talk about it in detail and just explain away or have an answer for everything they do wrong or doesn't follow evolutionary car logic.

Last edited by smarty666; 12-07-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree, to save costs, or maybe the manufacturer thought it was no longer necessary?

Power folding mirrors are a nice luxury item to have; my in laws 10 year old benz ML 320 has it, and I was impressed by it when we parked in a shopping plaza.
Well that's just puppy dog tails and lollipops. If if was for cost saving measures then DON'T raise the msrp of your vehicle when your deleting features and not making stuff standard that used to be

You guys have proven my point nicely. Acura is beginning down the path of getting less bang for your buck. As the years go by I see more and more of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Yeah, its a downgrade, trust me. Let's look at this logically. They offered a feature that came at a lower price for a vehicle. They raised the price of their vehicle and took away that feature. Definitely less bang for your buck. Same thing with the ELS sound system and perforated leather I mentioned earlier. Acura is not alone in this, as I pointed out. Your paying more, for less features. Makes no sense what so ever.

You really need to stop making excuses. Its getting old and tired. You say there are things you wish they did differently but you never talk about it in detail and just explain away or have an answer for everything they do wrong or doesn't follow evolutionary car logic.
I agree with the bang for your buck based on a base 3G then vs base 4G now comparison and their sticker prices, which is what you must be implying but that was a 2003 intro compared to a 2008, I imagine the costs (like all costs) have changed but that's not actually a part of this disucussion here yet you always find a way to revert back to this. Since you brought it up, a 3G TLS and 4G FWD tech are the same price and are the most similar models and the 4G adds a lot of stuff over the 3G, that's not less bang for the buck.

Acura wants to sell more tech packages, do I agree with that? Is it right or wong? I don't know, but either way, you need to get over it. That's what's really old and tired.

Back to the HID disucssion, to some it may be a downgrade, I won't agrue that but looking at it another way, how often do you use your high beams? Would no one be glad to trade a xenon high beam for a two bulb system that also serves as a backup that bi ssytems usually don't have. Can that not be considered an upgrade?

This is not exactly a delete or a complete one, where there would be no mistake about it, it's more of a change. The idea of it being an upgrade or downgrade and that it can be argued, tells you everything you need to know.

The fact that Acura seperated the high and low on the 4G and that they don't offer an adaptive bi-xenon system on any Acura and the AFS system uses a dedicated swivel low beam and a halogen high beam suggests that they might actually be following evolutionary car logic but we'll have to wait and see. All of this because I provided this single piece of information or speculation.

The current HID change may not actually cost Acura less, so in that case there is more that could be said for it not being a downgrade, but who actually knows? All I am saying is that it should be considered. I just brought up a point, I didn't actually say it was one or the other so I don't know why you jumped all over it in not one but two posts?

I wouldn't try to pin this on me, I voted for quite a few areas in this poll but I don't see a point in expressing a worthy change if it's already been mentioned and while I might want to change things on the car, I always view it in the context of what I paid and financing cost which is less than either of my old 3G TL's, so I have absolutely nothing to really complain about.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:03 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
These are things I would really like to have on the car.

Side and rear proximity audio warnings.
Power folding side mirrors.
Power adjust steering Column
Power adjust rearview mirror for each driver 1 & 2
Old 12-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since you brought it up, a 3G TLS and 4G FWD tech are the same price and are the most similar models and the 4G adds a lot of stuff over the 3G, that's not less bang for the buck.

I don't see where the 4G adds A LOT of stuff over the 3G other than a bigger engine, AWD, and some better fit/finish areas, and things like that. No big technological or mechanical changes or additions what so ever. No more interior room then the 3G had and definitely not better fuel economy.

Acura wants to sell more tech packages, do I agree with that? Is it right or wrong? I don't know, but either way, you need to get over it. That's what's really old and tired.

I should not have to get over it. Not everybody wants a navigation system and Acura built their reputation on reliability and bang for your buck value with features and the things you get standard, not to mention, few and easy option packages to chose from. They are slowly moving away from that so I'm not surprised you wouldn't want me to bring it up.

Back to the HID discussion, to some it may be a downgrade, I won't argue that but looking at it another way, how often do you use your high beams? Would no one be glad to trade a xenon high beam for a two bulb system that also serves as a backup that bi systems usually don't have. Can that not be considered an upgrade?

No.

This is not exactly a delete or a complete one, where there would be no mistake about it, it's more of a change. The idea of it being an upgrade or downgrade and that it can be argued, tells you everything you need to know.

All of this because I provided this single piece of information or speculation.

Its not speculation. That is where your wrong. It is cold hard facts about features and other things when comparing it to previous Acura models and the competition. As someone else pointed out, if the TL is going upmarket, then deleting things and making less standard doesn't make sense if they are indeed going that direction, especially if Acura wants to keep their huge price for feature advantage over the Germans.

Last edited by smarty666; 12-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Drifting

I don't see where the 4G adds A LOT of stuff over the 3G other than a bigger engine, AWD, and some better fit/finish areas, and things like that. No big technological or mechanical changes or additions what so ever. No more interior room then the 3G had and definitely not better fuel economy.
The FWD tech and TLS specifically, that's where the prices are the same and there is added tech and features yet the sticker price is roughly the same. As far as the 4G SH and TLS or regular 3G model, it's a fairly significant upgrade and in many circumstances it can cost less.

The SH additon is a big mechanical and technological change as is the new 6MT. Base to base, the actual non sticker cost differences are about the same with the current market conditions, but there are a few less major features than were present before, but also a few smaller new ones while the tech package adds a decent amount. Acura knows this and that is why in most cases they offer an extra $500-$1k incentive for tech models and it includes a spoiler, really making it only a $2k-$2,500 cost difference which is a fair deal compared to the $3500 originally.

The gas mileage on the 4G 3.5 FWD 5AT is the same as the 3G 3.2 5AT model after 08 revisions and that is with a bigger engine. It is also better than the 3.5 5AT TLS and the 5AT SH is nearly the same as the 5AT TLS only minus one highway, again after revision.

I should not have to get over it. Not everybody wants a navigation system and Acura built their reputation on reliability and bang for your buck value with features and the things you get standard, not to mention, few and easy option packages to chose from. They are slowly moving away from that so I'm not surprised you wouldn't want me to bring it up.
Ok they are moving away from that on base models, what do you want me to do? What does that have to do with an HID comparison or the thread for that matter? Why are you taking it out on me? I agreed with you on that plenty of times, I don't care if you bring it up I have an SH, it doesn't affect me. I feel sorry for you but that is why you got a Maxima instead, so what seems to be the problem?

No.
That's the issue, I am not saying it is or it isn't a downgrade, I am not saying your are right or wrong or that I agree with Acura in doing so but I am at least considering more than you surrounding the matter and that is a problem if you only want to see it your way and only what you think is correct. Trust me, having had both generations, for me it's a non issue, that's why you haven't heard about it until now.

Its not speculation. That is where your wrong. It is cold hard facts about features and other things when comparing it to previous Acura models and the competition. As someone else pointed out, if the TL is going upmarket, then deleting things and making less standard doesn't make sense if they are indeed going that direction, especially if Acura wants to keep their huge price for feature advantage over the Germans.
It is speculation about the AFL making it into the TL, I am talking about the HIDs not the base 3G vs the base 4G. We are discussing that only because you brought you up. Again your right about a lot of the other stuff but that has nothing to with how the HID's compare, that is another story altogether.

For what it's worth, deleting things and charging more sounds exactly like it's going upmarket, that's what the more upmarket brands do. Consider this, maybe they don't want to have as a big a price advantage for features, or that maybe the highest trims get the most treatment or the biggest push upmarket, it still doesn't change how the HIDs compare, which was the only thing I simply added here in this thread.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

[quote=winstrolvtec;12545578]The FWD tech and TLS specifically, that's where the prices are the same and there is added tech and features yet the sticker price is roughly the same. As far as the 4G SH and TLS or regular 3G model, it's a fairly significant upgrade and in many circumstances it can cost less.

I don't see where there is added tech and features. The engine is the same, same amount of features, navigation is only slightly better in the 4G. I'm talking 4G FWD Tech with 3G TL-S.

The SH additon is a big mechanical and technological change as is the new 6MT. Base to base, the actual non sticker cost differences are about the same with the current market conditions, but there are a few less major features than were present before, but also a few smaller new ones while the tech package adds a decent amount. Acura knows this and that is why in most cases they offer an extra $500-$1k incentive for tech models and it includes a spoiler, really making it only a $2k-$2,500 cost difference which is a fair deal compared to the $3500 originally.

I would not say big mechanical addition but its about time they offered AWD on the TL. I would have preferred to see RWD, in order differentiate themselves away from Audi, Lexus, and Buick FWD,but I guess you'll take what they give you. I would say, that currently, the SH-AWD with tech is your best bang for buck trim with the TL since you get the nav and AWD for around $42k, and less with incentives.

The gas mileage on the 4G 3.5 FWD 5AT is the same as the 3G 3.2 5AT model after 08 revisions and that is with a bigger engine. It is also better than the 3.5 5AT TLS and the 5AT SH is nearly the same as the 5AT TLS only minus one highway, again after revision.

I can tell you from experience, that the mpg on the 04-06 TL is what most are getting on the 07-08 once the revision and drop in epa mpg was given. After having an 06 and now a 08 I can vouche for that. In fact, once I switched to Shell Premium, I'm getting even better mpg in my 08 then I did in my 06. I have yet to see any 4G FWD TL owners match what I'm getting in my 3G. If you drive it right, use the right grade and brand of gas, there is no way the gas mileage is going to be better and even match the 3G with the added weight and larger engine size in the 4G.

Ok they are moving away from that on base models, what do you want me to do? What does that have to do with an HID comparison or the thread for that matter? Why are you taking it out on me? I agreed with you on that plenty of times, I don't care if you bring it up I have an SH, it doesn't affect me. I feel sorry for you but that is why you got a Maxima instead, so what seems to be the problem?

I'm not taking it out on you. I'm just pointing out how weird and ridiculous it sounds to say that deletion of the bi-xenon feature on the 4G, while the price of the 4G rose several hundred dollars in msrp across the trim levels is not a downgrade b/c it most certainly is. I don't care about the adaptive lighting feature or the swivel, I'm just talking about straight high beam xenon capability. There is no reason to do it when the car lacks many features others in this class and competition, and even some below it have. I'm just disappointed. I'm sorry that upset you but I did not know Acura did this until someone else mentioned it a few days ago.

That's the issue, I am not saying it is or it isn't a downgrade, I am not saying your are right or wrong or that I agree with Acura in doing so but I am at least considering more than you surrounding the matter and that is a problem if you only want to see it your way and only what you think is correct. Trust me, having had both generations, for me it's a non issue, that's why you haven't heard about it until now.

It is not that big of deal to me. I've got the same set-up as the 4G on my Maxima, I'm just saying that I'm getting tired of seeing ALL the manufacturers delete or make less things standard and continue to raise the msrp across all trim levels by a few hundred dollars year after year. That means we are getting less for our money, and unless your super rich, you should be just as tired and mad that they all continue to do it as well. It's your hard earn dollars for God sake. We are just seen as mindless money bags by these dealerships and car companies.

This is one of the main reasons why I have no brand or dealership loyalty anymore because no matter how long you've been with a company, they do what ever possible to treat you as if your a first time customer again and give crappy prices. That is why I always recommend people to shop around at as many dealers as possible and pin them up against each other so you get the best price.

For what it's worth, deleting things and charging more sounds exactly like it's going upmarket, that's what the more upmarket brands do. Consider this, maybe they don't want to have as a big a price advantage for features, or that maybe the highest trims get the most treatment or the biggest push upmarket, it still doesn't change how the HIDs compare, which was the only thing I simply added here in this thread.

That could certainly be true, then if your right and that is going to be the case, then Acura is going to lose, at some point in the future, what made them so special/advantages over Lexus, BMW, and MB in regards to price, features for the money, etc.

Last edited by smarty666; 12-08-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Now that my friend winstrolvtec told me about the lack of bi-xenons in the 4G, that is another feature I would like to see back again on the 5G since I love it and use it quite often, especially at this time of the year, on my 3G.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Drifting

I don't see where there is added tech and features. The engine is the same, same amount of features, navigation is only slightly better in the 4G. I'm talking 4G FWD Tech with 3G TL-S.
That's exactly what I am talking about, there really is a decent amount of just tech and features added from push button, BT audio, HDD, Nav weather, USB, upgraded stereo, RDS, 8 inch VGA screen, 8 way passenger, electric steering, improved gas mileage, and many smaller functions mainly within the navi and stereo. Some of which are not exclusive to the tech package.

I would not say big mechanical addition but its about time they offered AWD on the TL. I would have preferred to see RWD, in order differentiate themselves away from Audi, Lexus, and Buick FWD,but I guess you'll take what they give you. I would say, that currently, the SH-AWD with tech is your best bang for buck trim with the TL since you get the nav and AWD for around $42k, and less with incentives.
I don't agree but we can have different opinions. At the same time many prefer SH-AWD because it also differntiates from all the RWD. We have no choice to take or leave what they give us but that is still a choice in the first place.

I can tell you from experience, that the mpg on the 04-06 TL is what most are getting on the 07-08 once the revision and drop in epa mpg was given. After having an 06 and now a 08 I can vouche for that. In fact, once I switched to Shell Premium, I'm getting even better mpg in my 08 then I did in my 06. I have yet to see any 4G FWD TL owners match what I'm getting in my 3G. If you drive it right, use the right grade and brand of gas, there is no way the gas mileage is going to be better and even match the 3G with the added weight and larger engine size in the 4G.
That's really what I am saying, that despite the on paper drop the actual mileage is the same. That extends to the 4G as well which sees better mpg than the 5AT TLS used to get and the same as the 3.2 as far as the ratings go, after the same revisions are applied to the earlier models.

You say there is no way but clearly there is a way if the ratings are the same.There is not much denying which engine will result in poorer mileage for spirited driving but under the same tested conditions and habits the results are the same. Don't forget the engine has been slightly detuned, there's new software and gearing so it's proven possible. The 11' TSX V6 featuring the same engine now gets 19/28 and is maybe 50 lbs lighter.

I'm not taking it out on you. I'm just pointing out how weird and ridiculous it sounds to say that deletion of the bi-xenon feature on the 4G, while the price of the 4G rose several hundred dollars in msrp across the trim levels is not a downgrade b/c it most certainly is. I don't care about the adaptive lighting feature or the swivel, I'm just talking about straight high beam xenon capability. There is no reason to do it when the car lacks many features others in this class and competition, and even some below it have. I'm just disappointed. I'm sorry that upset you but I did not know Acura did this until someone else mentioned it a few days ago.

Again, I didn't actually say it was or it wasn't a downgrade. Looking just at the different HID setups, not knowing the costs of them for Acura and not taking into account the MSRP which doesn't mean too much today because of the market conditions and it being a few years later with inflation and rising costs and all, it does not appear to be much of a downgrade or an upgrade by itself, considering how it functions and what it offers over the other system, that is all I was suggesting.

You have a right to be disappointed, I am not upset because in some ways I find the new HID's to be better and the car as a whole is better to me and cheaper but isn't it really a matter or preference?

I mean it really is no worse of a headlight setup as a whole, it's more different than anything. The other features and what the competiton has is another discussion in which I agree with your points but is not what I am talking about and just because you don't care about the potential future inplementation of AFS doesn't make the current setup worse.

It is not that big of deal to me. I've got the same set-up as the 4G on my Maxima, I'm just saying that I'm getting tired of seeing ALL the manufacturers delete or make less things standard and continue to raise the msrp across all trim levels by a few hundred dollars year after year. That means we are getting less for our money, and unless your super rich, you should be just as tired and mad that they all continue to do it as well. It's your hard earn dollars for God sake. We are just seen as mindless money bags by these dealerships and car companies.

This is one of the main reasons why I have no brand or dealership loyalty anymore because no matter how long you've been with a company, they do what ever possible to treat you as if your a first time customer again and give crappy prices. That is why I always recommend people to shop around at as many dealers as possible and pin them up against each other so you get the best price.
I agree but there is little we can do about it and we are mindless money bags to all businesses, companies, corporations and brands, it doesn't stop at cars. We can say whatever we want or voice our disleasures through forums and even directly but if their bottomlines are not affected and sales percentages continue to grow, no one is going to stop. I have never seen any car company start offering more product and lower the prices at the same time, it's just not realistic. Every year prices rise and every new model generation sees an average of a 10% increase all over the industry, I don't see that changing.

That could certainly be true, then if your right and that is going to be the case, then Acura is going to lose, at some point in the future, what made them so special/advantages over Lexus, BMW, and MB in regards to price, features for the money, etc.
As much as we have the right to like or dislike their products or choose them or another brand instead, they have a right to conduct their business how they see fit. We just have to choose what is a best option for us whether that happens to be Acura or not. The fact that we have choice and variaty is the best part. I know you say you have no loyalty to one brand but it sounds exactly like you want to be loyal to Acura but are too disappointed and can't let it go.

I buy Acura because of the many core reasons everyone else does but also because of the luxury distinction, size, V6, 6MT, FWD models of the past which is rare and hard to come by and because of the more recent addition of torque vectoring AWD into that mix, which is exclusively unique to a car of the 4G TL's size and just rare in general. If another brand like BMW had a more cost effective, well equipped 5 series with a TV AWD and 6MT, I might be in that instead and if Acura ever stops offering that and someone else does, then I probably wouldn't buy Acura.

So I really don't care how I come across, I have loyalty to what I want and prefer in a car and therefore I appreciate the brand that offers that slightly more than others but when I share a perspective on how the old HID setup compares to the new HID's, that's all I am doing. All this disscussion is nice and I enjoy it because I like cars in general but it's off topic and is way more than I was trying to get at.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-08-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not surprised there were so many people wanting a 500HP TL as there are always people here needing more HP. I'm not sure where you live but I'm guessing there are a lot of people who drive their car on the Autobahn here. I get tickets if I go over 75 where I life (unfortunately).

I am surprised there were a few takers on the hybrid option. I Would definitely enjoy going to the gas station less often - not that I'll necessarily save money but going less often sure would be more convenient. I'm not a fan of the prius - it was impressive 10 years ago but hasn't really improved that much. In theory we could have much faster acceleration with a hybrid which I'm more concerned about than driving at 200MPH.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto dimming side mirrors, full size spare on matching alloy rim, 6-8 spd. auto, door handle and foot lighting leds-miss this from my RL, larger & better insulated glove compartment, cooled seats, adjustable thigh and side bolsters, power rear sun shade with rear side shades, bi-xenons w/afs-miss this feature from my RL too, 3.7L matched with the turbo from the RDX, etc....but my car will do for now.

2010 TL SH-AWD w/TECH Palladium/Ebony AT
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I think full spare should be standard on any car over $20K.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

Smarty...you must be kidding, the torque vectoring AWD is not a big mechanical addition?? What are you talking about??

Porsche charges you almost 10K for a torque vectoring differential in a Panamera...a 80K base car......

And remember, for people living in many areas of the US a RWD car is a big no-no......I see the RWD as a big disadvantage in my daily driving and I would never buy one (unless we are taling about a track toy or a sunny Sunday car).
When we have snow, the first ones to get suck are the usual suspects....BMW and Mercedes.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-17-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Smarty...you must be kidding, the torque vectoring AWD is not a big mechanical addition?? What are you talking about??

Porsche charges you almost 10K for a torque vectoring differential in a Panamera...a 80K base car......

And remember, for people living in many areas of the US a RWD car is a big no-no......I see the RWD as a big disadvantage in my daily driving and I would never buy one (unless we are taling about a track toy or a sunny Sunday car).
When we have snow, the first ones to get suck are the usual suspects....BMW and Mercedes.....
I didn't say it wasn't. I even made the point to say that the AWD is probably your better bang for buck now!

Your absolutely right about the RWD thing for certain people. Up here in NJ, I would never be caught with just RWD in the winter. We get too many snow storms to have to deal with that. I'd prefer AWD myself.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
On their models that offer it, the Lexus and Infiniti dealers in my area stock the AWD versions almost exclusively. It's extremely hard to find a non-AWD G37, for example.

We don't get that much snow/ice, but when we do, you can see why the dealers do this - RWD is a non-starter (almost literally).

SH-AWD is a phenomenal advantage. The benefits of FWD when just cruising, and then over-driven AWD when you need it.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I didn't say it wasn't. I even made the point to say that the AWD is probably your better bang for buck now!
Not only the AWD...the tech package is incredible in that price range, the overall platform technical sophistication (double wishbone, alluminum for front and rear subframes, hood and suspension elements) and just the sheer size of the car.

When you park the TL SH-AWD tech next to a base 335i (similar sticker price) you immediately realize the full meaning of bang for the buck.....just only the seats of the TL are bloody fantastic.

Yes I'm disappointed for the lack of folding rear seat capability...I had that in my old 2003 Nissan Maxima SE and it was often useful....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'd like to see a more exotic design....something to set the exterior apart from everything else. Honda's are looking too much like Acura's.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
400whp..Thats all she needs...FANBOY you bet...No way I'm gonna let the wife spend 35K without doing some research
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'd like to see a more exotic design....something to set the exterior apart from everything else. Honda's are looking too much like Acura's.
Some people already like the ugly design of the current TL because it does set it apart from other car makers (most try to make their cars look good). I'm not sure how exotic I want it too look but I sure would appreciate it if the first word that comes to mind when I look at the next TL isn't fugly. Frankly I think even the accord looks better than the TL at this point.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Boe, I understand your point. I just think that if we're paying more for a premium Honda, there should be more difference than there currently is between the two brands.

Honestly, so much on the road today looks the same to me. There is no creativity when it comes to auto design. And....if there IS creativity, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Most people won't be able to afford it. Maybe that's why I love concept cars.

Heck, I'm just looking for an inexpensive Lamborghini, so don't mind me!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall a great car for the price, but I'd include:
Electric folding mirrors
Electric adjustable steering column and seats to drivers position

Hopefully someone at Acura will read this tread. Caps59
2010 SHAWD w/tech PB
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Boe, I understand your point. I just think that if we're paying more for a premium Honda, there should be more difference than there currently is between the two brands.

Honestly, so much on the road today looks the same to me. There is no creativity when it comes to auto design. And....if there IS creativity, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Most people won't be able to afford it. Maybe that's why I love concept cars.

Heck, I'm just looking for an inexpensive Lamborghini, so don't mind me!
I'm a huge fan of hybrid and other more efficient cars. I kind of like the design of this concept car except I'm on the fence of the pivot doors. I think if doors like this were required on all vehicles I'd actually like it - it would prevent idiots with 2 door vehicles who park in compact vehicle spots from slamming their doors into my vehicle when I park. I do love the idea of 60 plus MPG and 0-60 in 5 seconds!

Quick Reply: What features would you like most in your next TL?