What do you think of this Acura TL with high miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of this Acura TL with high miles?

I'm in the market for an Acura TL with AWD and I spotted this one online with 114k miles. I was able to get the dealer to lower the price to $16500. Do you think I should purchase this car or not, I'm paying cash?

http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-15AD0210
Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
I would make sure all service work has been completed (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, ect). Also make sure the tranny and rear dif fluids have been changed.

I purchased a very similar car to this one (except 2010 MT with 106K) for $19650, so the price is good. The only thing I would be worried about is the transmission. Test drive it and see how it drives and shifts.

Tires and brakes may also need to be replaced soon, so keep this in mind.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
I would make sure all service work has been completed (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, ect). Also make sure the tranny and rear dif fluids have been changed.

I purchased a very similar car to this one (except 2010 MT with 106K) for $19650, so the price is good. The only thing I would be worried about is the transmission. Test drive it and see how it drives and shifts.

Tires and brakes may also need to be replaced soon, so keep this in mind.
Thanks for replying. I have looked at the CarFax report and it looks like the recommend services have been done. I saw on the report that the timing belt, water pump, seal had been replaced. I will be able to test drive the car this weekend when I'm off. Here is the CarFax report http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W
Old 02-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Didymus Anthony Simmons
I'm in the market for an Acura TL with AWD and I spotted this one online with 114k miles. I was able to get the dealer to lower the price to $16500. Do you think I should purchase this car or not, I'm paying cash?

http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-15AD0210
I would stay away, whatever you save because its high mileage your going to have to pay back quite quickly with some large repair bill.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i would not buy a used car that is not CPO'd.. you never know what went wrong with that car..
The following users liked this post:
Didymus Anthony Simmons (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gibbyisgibby
I would stay away, whatever you save because its high mileage your going to have to pay back quite quickly with some large repair bill.
What are some things that I might need to repair on this car in the future? It seems that all the recommend service was completed on the car. The dealer told that the previous owner traded in the car and brought a new one.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
the dealer will tell you anything you want to hear to get a sale out of you.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by potmilkz
the dealer will tell you anything you want to hear to get a sale out of you.
Which is true but they can't fake the CarFax report. http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W
Old 02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i would not buy a used car that is not CPO'd.. you never know what went wrong with that car..
Just FYI, this car can't be CPO because of the mileage... I too would prefer to buy A CPO vs a non CPO but you don't have a choice with this car and I didn't have a choice with my car either.

Here is more info on the CPO:
http://www.acura.com/Certification.aspx

I purchased mine with 106K, drove it 10 hours straight (about 800 miles) right after I bought it. I now have 112K on it (purchased at the beginning of October 2013), I have had no issues with the car. But the rotors were warped by the time I got it home.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Make them an offer for $10k all in. If they refuse, you lose nothing. Actually they lose because eventually they'll sent it off to auction and then they'll get f*ck all. Also don't get extended warranty etc.

But seriously, save some $ and get a new one.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Drive in to Radley Acura and find something with lower miles.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
I will stay away from this car. The miles on this car is way high for what less than 6 years used (assuming they bought the car when it came out late 2008).

Also, this is a red flag for me:
"DEALER IS NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, MISPRINTS ON PRICES OR EQUIPPMENT. ONLINE PRICES REFLECTS REBATES & DISCOUNTS. SPECIAL INTERNET PRICING IS BASED ON ONE TIME PAYMENT OF CASH, CERTIFIED FUNDS, MONEY ORDER AND EFT's. TOTAL PRICES ON VEHICLES FINANCED MAY VARY. WE FINANCE PEOPLE WITH ALL TYPES OF CREDIT. EVERYONE IS APPROVED. EACH TRANSACTION SUBJECT TO A $399 DEALER PROCESSING FEE. VEHICLE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES, TITLE AND REGISTRATION"

How is that possible when they are ones entering the ad on autotrader?!?!

Anyways, I will search for a different TL - from either an Acura dealership OR a reputable BIG Brand dealership (toyota, audi, etc) not the mom/pops dealerships.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I find it curious how people buy Honda/Acura products because of reliability and because they can foreseeably run the car into high mileages.

What are our cars worth if we can't sell them for relatively good money after we reach those high miles. I suspect in 5 years when I'm debating whether to sell or trade in my car it will at least have as many miles as the car in the OP.

2nd gens and 3rd gens are still running well into the 200k mark yet this 4th gen is out of the question?

I see no problem negotiating the price of this car but to tell OP to run and get as far away from it is off base at best.

High mileage vehicles might not be everyone's thing, but as long as a car has been properly maintained, 100k is just breaking it in.

My recommendation is to do your due diligence on the car. You know the numbers better than we would. If you think it's worth it as it sits, go for it!
The following 4 users liked this post by ABDomega:
Didymus Anthony Simmons (02-03-2014), Jrvtecaccord (02-03-2014), Nabooly (02-04-2014), nj2pa2nc (02-08-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Originally Posted by thePearl
I will stay away from this car. The miles on this car is way high for what less than 6 years used (assuming they bought the car when it came out late 2008).

Also, this is a red flag for me:
"DEALER IS NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, MISPRINTS ON PRICES OR EQUIPPMENT. ONLINE PRICES REFLECTS REBATES & DISCOUNTS. SPECIAL INTERNET PRICING IS BASED ON ONE TIME PAYMENT OF CASH, CERTIFIED FUNDS, MONEY ORDER AND EFT's. TOTAL PRICES ON VEHICLES FINANCED MAY VARY. WE FINANCE PEOPLE WITH ALL TYPES OF CREDIT. EVERYONE IS APPROVED. EACH TRANSACTION SUBJECT TO A $399 DEALER PROCESSING FEE. VEHICLE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES, TITLE AND REGISTRATION"

How is that possible when they are ones entering the ad on autotrader?!?!

Anyways, I will search for a different TL - from either an Acura dealership OR a reputable BIG Brand dealership (toyota, audi, etc) not the mom/pops dealerships.
Any attorney worth his muster would recommend a car dealership client include that type of verbiage on their website listings.

You'd be surprised how many typographical errors find their way into syndicated high volume print periodicals, let alone a car listing. One missed zero and they'll have a bevy of customers clamoring to buy the car for $2000.00. This disclaimer helps them in those types of situations.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Didymus Anthony Simmons
What are some things that I might need to repair on this car in the future? It seems that all the recommend service was completed on the car. The dealer told that the previous owner traded in the car and brought a new one.
Well the problem is you don't know, since there has been a lot of wear on many of components it could be a variety of problems.

The car could be fine and you wont have any problems with it but the chances of a large issue are much higher since its so high mileage. The risk also compounds with the fact that its being sold from a third party dealer and is off-warranty.

You could have problems with suspension, transmission, propellor shaft, torque converter, cylinder build up and more.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ABDomega
I find it curious how people buy Honda/Acura products because of reliability and because they can foreseeably run the car into high mileages.

What are our cars worth if we can't sell them for relatively good money after we reach those high miles. I suspect in 5 years when I'm debating whether to sell or trade in my car it will at least have as many miles as the car in the OP.

2nd gens and 3rd gens are still running well into the 200k mark yet this 4th gen is out of the question?

I see no problem negotiating the price of this car but to tell OP to run and get as far away from it is off base at best.

High mileage vehicles might not be everyone's thing, but as long as a car has been properly maintained, 100k is just breaking it in.

My recommendation is to do your due diligence on the car. You know the numbers better than we would. If you think it's worth it as it sits, go for it!
I think the issue is that it's high mileage for its year. In another year or two it'll be common to see 4g TLs with that kind of mileage

Well... you could potentially get a really good deal on this car because the dealer will have trouble moving it. I would really low ball them and act uninterested, go into the dealership to look at another car.

Another consideration is that you will also have to resell this car with high mileage.
The following 2 users liked this post by gibbyisgibby:
Axxion89 (03-17-2014), Didymus Anthony Simmons (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Originally Posted by gibbyisgibby
I think the issue is that it's high mileage for its year. In another year or two it'll be common to see 4g TLs with that kind of mileage
High mileage for the year is a bad thing? How does one accumulate 100k miles in five years? Normally not in stop and go traffic. The only people that I know that put on 20k+ miles/year are people that ride on the highway a lot. Since a car with more highway miles than city is favorable I don't see this as a problem.

If anything higher mileage in a short time span is a good thing, not bad.
Didymus Anthony Simmons (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Coming from a mom/pop dealership with high miles makes me uneasy with this deal. This car is on the high end of avg. yearly miles put (which reflect the pricing) and for me, this high miles IS a BAD thing for the year model. It comes down to opinion.

Yes, Honda’s & Acura’s are extremely reliable – however, you are buying a current generation with “as is” condition and who knows how this car was driving. It could be highway for the most part, but guess what.. we don’t know.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Instructor

High mileage for the year is a bad thing? How does one accumulate 100k miles in five years? Normally not in stop and go traffic. The only people that I know that put on 20k+ miles/year are people that ride on the highway a lot. Since a car with more highway miles than city is favorable I don't see this as a problem.

Exactly. Higher mileage on a newer cars means they are most likely highway miles which is what you want.

OP Test drive the car and see how you like it. If I was getting an automatic SH-AWD TL this would be my first choice. At $16,500 its less than half of the original cost and is not yet 6 years old. Plus timing belt has been replaced so your good for another 90K miles.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
Exactly. Higher mileage on a newer cars means they are most likely highway miles which is what you want.

OP Test drive the car and see how you like it. If I was getting an automatic SH-AWD TL this would be my first choice. At $16,500 its less than half of the original cost and is not yet 6 years old. Plus timing belt has been replaced so your good for another 90K miles.
Thanks. I will test drive it this weekend and let everyone know the outcome.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Racer

Ya i know what you mean but we're assuming how the mileage was put on the car, it could have been some type of courier who knows. I'm just saying I'm leery of newer cars with higher miles. It'll be hard to resell..
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I bought my 1G 3.2 TL at ~120,000 for $900. I sold it at ~240,000 miles for $2,000. During the time I had it, all it ever needed was a new muffler, new starter motor, and a new battery. Not sure if the 4G TL will be that reliable, but I am going to try and keep mine that long.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Don't ever trust a car fax..They only list what has been reported.
nj2pa2nc (02-08-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
I bought my 1G 3.2 TL at ~120,000 for $900. I sold it at ~240,000 miles for $2,000. ...
But what year model, and what year purchased? just curious.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
But what year model, and what year purchased? just curious.
I was a 1996 and I purchased it in 2003, so only 2 to 3 years older than what the one the OP is considering at time of purchase. But I am speaking more the the longevity than anything. I think I got an amazing deal, very hard to come across that again.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Generally I avoid any car that's not CPO'd or has some sort of warranty when the cost of the car is over 12k. This is just my mind set. I don't know what's been done to the car and people can report that maintenance is all done but where is it done and so on. I'd spend a few extra bucks and get a CPO'd one like I did.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
looking at market, if you pay around $5K more, you might be able to get something close to 70-80K miles... if you tight on budget it's different story

my suggestion, take your time shopping around...
Old 02-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i understand what everyone is saying here, but if the car doesnt look like its been wrecked based on independent party inspection, i would look at this car seriously, the maintenance record seems to be pretty good meaning it appears the guy has taken decent care of the car

if the price it right i would be tempted to pull the trigger.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're set on the car. I'd at least bring it to an Acura dealership and have it fully inspected.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shurik74
looking at market, if you pay around $5K more, you might be able to get something close to 70-80K miles... if you tight on budget it's different story

my suggestion, take your time shopping around...
And in a 12-18 months you'll be footing the bill for the timing belt job.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
i think what you can derive from this thread (and common knowledge) is that it becomes a bit of a gamble. You aren't going to get any sureties about it... Potential engine issues are probably the most worrisome, but this is a stout, time tested engine design. but also suspension components such as bearings, control arms, axles... lots of little things can add up over time. A/C compressors, timing belts...etc...etc...

This isn't specific necessarily to this car. I'm expecting my 4g to last 200k.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought a 2010 SH-AWD tech with 113k miles for $17,000 last September from an Acura dealership. It was in mint condition, had all service done, and came with a warranty. I never considered buying a car with that many miles, but everything checked out and just had to have it. It's been 5 months now and I haven't had a single problem. And I love the car and have no regrets from buying it.

I'd say they could wiggle a little more on the price, considering I paid $500 more for a year newer and warranty. If my car had been at a mom n pops dealership with no warranty I'm not sure I would have bought it. At the end of the day it's up to you. If you have a good feeling about it I say go for it. I made a post debating on whether or not I should buy mine and had the same replies. Too many miles, pay more for one with less miles, etc..... Just do what you WANT, it's your money after all.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
If you're set on the car. I'd at least bring it to an Acura dealership and have it fully inspected.
this. i would have ZERO problems buying that car with that mileage as long as you get an Acura Tech to inspect it first. they can find all sorts of stuff that you couldnt see with the naked eye. they know what the common issues and problems are with these cars and look for them.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
STAY AWAY. Even buying a CPO is risky, but at least you have the 12k/1yr warranty to cover you.

I bought my '12 SH-AWD CPO with nearly 55k on the odometer, and I was still uneasy about it. Over 100k on the odometer? Out of manufacture warranty?

That's a HELL NO.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Les week I bought from an Acura dealership a TL SH-AWD – 2011 with 15.200 Miles Certified – Looks new for $26,000 out the door.
They have 3 more all 2010 TL SH-AWD – Mileage between 45.000 and 86.000 – Price between $19,000 and $25,000 and they will go down maybe $1,500
Good luck,
Roland
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Racer

Btw. Hello everyone, new here and still working on my English.

Les week I purchased from an Acura dealership a TL SH-AWD – 2011 with 15.200 Miles Certified – Looks new for $26,000 out the door.
They have 3 more all 2010 TL SH-AWD – Mileage between 45.000 and 86.000 – Price between $19,000 and $25,000 and they will go down maybe $1,500
Good luck,
Roland
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mylove4cars
Btw. Hello everyone, new here and still working on my English.

Les week I purchased from an Acura dealership a TL SH-AWD – 2011 with 15.200 Miles Certified – Looks new for $26,000 out the door.
Good luck,
Roland
Sounds like you got a great deal for 2011 SH-AWD... Have you checked everything, even CPO?

And what is your first language?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shurik74
Sounds like you got a great deal for 2011 SH-AWD... Have you checked everything, even CPO?

And what is your first language?

Yes I did check (Certified Pre Owned) - First language Dutch.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Honestly there's nothing wrong with buying high km cars. I wouldn't worry too much and if the dealer checks it out and says its good (it's like $100 bucks or something to get it done) then you're golden.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Honestly there's nothing wrong with buying high km cars. I wouldn't worry too much and if the dealer checks it out and says its good (it's like $100 bucks or something to get it done) then you're golden.
I don't agree with you regarding dealer. Yes, you do get some "short/temporary" warranty but for cars with high mileage....! Most money they make from used cars + service. I've seen examples them buying cars from clean title auctions with damages, fixing and selling as CPO. In my opinion, any used car needs detailed check up by mechanic you know or someone for extra $$$. Just my 2c...

Quick Reply: What do you think of this Acura TL with high miles?