Used CPO 2010 Acura TL or...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used CPO 2010 Acura TL or...

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. Brief background on my Acura history in my family... First time Acura owners in 2003 when we purchased the MDX. Bought another MDX in 2007 and now we think we may be ready to make another purchase and have a TL in the family!

A dealership in my state has a few (read: 5) CPO 2010 TL SH-AWD with Tech anywhere from 500 to 16,000 miles. The one that I am interested in has 10,000 miles. The cars are all listed at (regardless of mileage... weird?) at $34,700 - $35,700 (the one with 500 miles). I gave an offer of $31,000 because it's USED and has 10,000 miles on it and because of the $3000 factory incentive that NEW vehicles have (I know the incentive does not apply to the CPO, but let's factor in the depreciation and residual value hit the incentive causes). He said the lowest they will go is $33,700. So I'm at a cross-roads here. I told them my offer stands at $31,000 and if they accept it, I will await their call. You would think having 5 CPO TLs on their lot would make them want to move them... I guess not! Was my offer fair? Do you think I can go lower?

So.. Should I go with the CPO 2010 with 10,000 miles or should I make a deal for a brand new 2010 for around 3-4 thousand dollars more. I see that many members have gotten deals for a similar package (SH-AWD and Tech) for around 35,600 - 36,500 + TTL.

My other option that I'm looking at right now is a CPO 2008 BMW 335xi with 36,000 miles. It is fully loaded with navigation, premium and sport package. The dealer is asking for $31,900 and I'm trying to talk him down to around $28,500 - $29,000. Can anyone explain properly how the xDrive works? Is it full time all-wheel drive? Does the rear wheel bias lead to poor performance in snow/ice conditions compared to the SH-AWD (we have that on our 2007 MDX and it is amazing... that's why I want to go for the TL)

This car is for me, a medical student, who will be doing rotations at various hospitals in a metropolitan city year round. Good handling in the snow is a MUST. I am leaning towards the Acura TL because we have had a great experience in my family with our MDXs and Acura service/maintenance is more affordable than BMW, Merc, Audi, etc... The cost of maintenance adds up! I'm at a cross-roads here and am not sure what to do. Any advice or experience provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM
8th Gear

I'll get the brand new TL with their current incentives + 0.9% financing.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_MD
make a deal for a brand new 2010 for around 3-4 thousand dollars more. I see that many members have gotten deals for a similar package (SH-AWD and Tech) for around 35,600 - 36,500 + TTL.
IMO, this is you best bet. Brand new, no previous driver, and perfect! Act quick b/c the 2010 inventory is shrinking fast!

My other option that I'm looking at right now is a CPO 2008 BMW 335xi with 36,000 miles.
The n54 will give you a serious headache. The e90 design is becoming old
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
The best I can get is; "the 2010 Acura TL, Tech, SH-AWD, Palladium Metallic/Taupe, which is the only color that I have close to what you are interested in, my best price would be $38,495. This includes the NW Protection Package, which is your Mud Guards, Wheel Locks and Trunk Tray." Worth it?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glashub
The best I can get is; "the 2010 Acura TL, Tech, SH-AWD, Palladium Metallic/Taupe, which is the only color that I have close to what you are interested in, my best price would be $38,495. This includes the NW Protection Package, which is your Mud Guards, Wheel Locks and Trunk Tray." Worth it?
Thanks for hijacking the thread? Lol... but yeah I definitely say that is NOT worth it! Might as well get a new 2011 at that price and save yourself the depreciation and residual loss!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Get the new one. Get an M5 once you graduate med school
Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 007Acura
IMO, this is you best bet. Brand new, no previous driver, and perfect! Act quick b/c the 2010 inventory is shrinking fast!

The n54 will give you a serious headache. The e90 design is becoming old
Honestly, the fact that there is no previous driver and perfect does not really sway me in the direction of getting brand new. It's more of a price issue. With my student loans and what not, I would like to stay under mid 30s and still have a great car to drive, hence why I'm jumping on the 2010 TL bandwagon... with the incentives and all. I plan to keep this car for 3-4 years and then probably trade it in for a newer model. 2010 owners are already taking a hit on resale value (hopefully only short term?) because of the incentives, so it's hard to justify the extra $4k spent on the new car smell. If the warranty is intact and something is wrong or goes wrong with the car, I have full confidence in Acura to get it fixed. Having a 2003 and 2007 MDX in the family has given me confidence in the Acura brand. Btw... CPO TLs have 1.9% financing... compared to the 0.9% on the new 2010/2011 TLs. I'm not a math guy, but how much money would that potentially save me if I went with new @ 0.9% over 36 months?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I apologize man. I didn't even think of that. My first thought was that if I started another good deal thread, I'd get flamed for not putting it in this thread.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggesq
Get the new one. Get an M5 once you graduate med school
Haha, great idea, but I should probably pay off that quarter of a million dollar debt I'll have built up...
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glashub
I apologize man. I didn't even think of that. My first thought was that if I started another good deal thread, I'd get flamed for not putting it in this thread.
No worries, I flamed you anyway! Naah, just giving you a hard time. I still think you're better off avoiding that deal. Try some dealers in neighboring states. Some of these dealerships like to play hardball and play the whole "hard to get" routine.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I'd get CPO. Yeah new is nice, but by CPO here, we're talking a car that's at most a year old, probably really only a couple months. And has been driven about 10,000 miles. You'll hardly be able to tell that it's used at all. Save some money and go CPO.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjTL
I'd get CPO. Yeah new is nice, but by CPO here, we're talking a car that's at most a year old, probably really only a couple months. And has been driven about 10,000 miles. You'll hardly be able to tell that it's used at all. Save some money and go CPO.
That's exactly what my thinking is. They have gone through an inspection to be certified and that gives me peace of mind. I think if I can get them down to $31,000 it will be a steal of a deal. Anyone have any recommended reasoning/logic to convince the dealer to go that low?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Well, I don't mean to judge, and I know that you did not come here to get financial advice, but speaking as someone who has gone through med school before, I hope that my experience can help you. It sounds like you do have a big loan for med school? Are you sure you want to put down so much money on a car? I did not even have a fancy car as a resident, and you want a fancy car like this as a med student? If I were you, I would avoid having a big loan like a plague. The years of paying back later is a big deal. Trust me, save up the pennies and enjoy later. If you need a reliable AWD car, get a used Subaru. It will be much cheaper and also still very reliable. Then get a premium car when you are an attending.... sorry if I am offering unsolicited advice.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ostrich
Well, I don't mean to judge, and I know that you did not come here to get financial advice, but speaking as someone who has gone through med school before, I hope that my experience can help you. It sounds like you do have a big loan for med school? Are you sure you want to put down so much money on a car? I did not even have a fancy car as a resident, and you want a fancy car like this as a med student? If I were you, I would avoid having a big loan like a plague. The years of paying back later is a big deal. Trust me, save up the pennies and enjoy later. If you need a reliable AWD car, get a used Subaru. It will be much cheaper and also still very reliable. Then get a premium car when you are an attending.... sorry if I am offering unsolicited advice.
I'm not paying for it, but your advice is well taken. I would not be DREAMING of doing something like this on loans. We're buying it as another car in the family that will be predominantly used by me. I hope that clears things up!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Hey Ostrich, I can't receive PMs yet because I haven't been a member for 15 days. Try sending it again, I just cleared my outbox. Is there any way to edit your posts on this forum? Or delete them?
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
"This car is for me, a medical student, who will be doing rotations at various hospitals in a metropolitan city year round."
Wow, medical students now a days are doing really well, contemplating buying a $30K+ car.

Years ago, when I was in medical school I was driving a 10 year old Ford Probe that cost probably $3K
Old 11-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JAB00
Wow, medical students now a days are doing really well, contemplating buying a $30K+ car.

Years ago, when I was in medical school I was driving a 10 year old Ford Probe that cost probably $3K
Please read 2 posts up!! I feel like I have egg on my face now! This is almost how I feel:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
Run, run, run away fast from the 36K BMW you're considering. That is, unless you like spending time at a BMW dealer or are happy shelling out $$$ to keep your car running.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Run, run, run away fast from the 36K BMW you're considering. That is, unless you like spending time at a BMW dealer or are happy shelling out $$$ to keep your car running.
Duly noted. Going to try and make a push for a new 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech while playing hardball with the CPO 2010. I think I get more of a rush making a deal for a car than actually having it
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Advanced

I'd skip any used car like this unless you know and trust who drove it previously. While it isn't exactly a sports car, you never know if the previous owner has a habit of buying a new car on each year, beating the crap out of it, then trading it in again. Is it likely? Probably not as likely as something like an Evo or WRX, but something to consider none-the-less.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced

So it looks as if we're going to make a deal for a brand new 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech (brand new doesn't sound right with the 2011s out does it? haha)

I was just wondering what accessories and add-ons you would recommend getting with the car or getting negotiated into the price. I plan on getting the all-weather floor mats from Tim (hondacuraplanet.com), but I'm not too sure what other options/accessories are available for the 2010 TL. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Congrats on the imminent purchase.

I think the splash guards are a must-have to protect the paint on the lower body panels.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it looks as if we're going to make a deal for a brand new 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech (brand new doesn't sound right with the 2011s out does it? haha)

!

Congratulations on your new purchase!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced

LOL... let's not get ahead of ourselves here guys... Still working out a deal and seeing what's available around the area. Gonna pull the trigger soon because inventories are being depleted like crazy!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
LOL... let's not get ahead of ourselves here guys... Still working out a deal and seeing what's available around the area. Gonna pull the trigger soon because inventories are being depleted like crazy!

Where are you located? Sounds like you may have already done the deed. If so congratulations, every situation is a unique and different as the individual experiencing it. So with that said, enjoy.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced

I am in the Ohio area. They wanted $37,800. I told them to go kick rocks. I'm not paying a dime over $36,500. I know I could probably get it for $36,000 but the dealership and our salesperson has to get paid of course! Same salesperson that worked out a great deal for our 2007 Acura MDX. I'm a person who is high on loyalty when it comes down to it. When you take out dealer holdback (3%) and the $3000 factory incentive, the price (with $860 destination charge) comes to $35,992. I'm not going to fight over a couple hundred of dollars. Everyone needs to eat and get paid for their work... although... the salesperson doesn't have to do much work other than get the paper work together! We already knew what we wanted. I guess the educated consumer is now the real salesperson.

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Technology Package: Polished Metal Metallic + Taupe.

I'll post the final details once the paperwork goes through and we have gone over the numbers once again. I'm going to try and get the winter package at cost like someone suggested in another thread.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I am in the Ohio area. They wanted $37,800. I told them to go kick rocks. I'm not paying a dime over $36,500. I know I could probably get it for $36,000 but the dealership and our salesperson has to get paid of course! Same salesperson that worked out a great deal for our 2007 Acura MDX. I'm a person who is high on loyalty when it comes down to it. When you take out dealer holdback (3%) and the $3000 factory incentive, the price (with $860 destination charge) comes to $35,992. I'm not going to fight over a couple hundred of dollars. Everyone needs to eat and get paid for their work... although... the salesperson doesn't have to do much work other than get the paper work together! We already knew what we wanted. I guess the educated consumer is now the real salesperson.

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Technology Package: Polished Metal Metallic + Taupe.

I'll post the final details once the paperwork goes through and we have gone over the numbers once again. I'm going to try and get the winter package at cost like someone suggested in another thread.
O-H-I-O, cool. I know there are several TL's on the lot were I copped my at. 6 2010 and 14 2011. When I passed though last week 2 were being delivered. I've noticed quiet a few lady drives recently behind the wheels.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
O-H-I-O, cool. I know there are several TL's on the lot were I copped my at. 6 2010 and 14 2011. When I passed though last week 2 were being delivered. I've noticed quiet a few lady drives recently behind the wheels.
I know where you copped yours at, that's where I get my service done at . Those 6 2010s that you speak of are all RED! Besides, if I want a good deal on an Acura, I never go there. I prefer to go to smaller volume and smaller town Acura dealerships... I'm sure you know of where I'm talking of. Hopefully it all works out. Motorcars is not my first choice when purchasing
Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I know where you copped yours at, that's where I get my service done at . Those 6 2010s that you speak of are all RED! Besides, if I want a good deal on an Acura, I never go there. I prefer to go to smaller volume and smaller town Acura dealerships... I'm sure you know of where I'm talking of. Hopefully it all works out. Motorcars is not my first choice when purchasing

Oh, my bad. I was just spelling out Ohio like they do in this song I heard. I'm not in Ohio, but Augusta, GA. There is only one Acura dealership here. You have to go to Columbia, SC for the next nearest dealership.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced

$36,700 is what they want + TTL. I wanted to only give $36,500. What should I do? I also want the splash guards. Should I get those thrown in and call it a deal? Also, if I order the splash guards myself, are they difficult to install? I'm going to buy the winter package online from Tim or do you guys recommend someone else? I worked with Tim and hondacuraworld.com on the .org site (Mdxers.org now...).
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Hondacuraplanet.com*** Where is the edit feature on this forum??
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Drifting

36.7K is a very good deal in the midwest. Some have bought for less, but mainly on the coasts and in TX.

I'd tell them to throw in the splash guards and call it a deal.

With the supply of '10s dwindling, you'd hate to lose the color combo you like for a couple of hundred $$.

Best of luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
are they difficult to install?
No. very simple

Instructions click here

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acura...0-TK4-XXX.aspx
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced

So my father got a chance to go look at the TL this weekend (I'm not in town) and liked what he saw. His only complaint was that the back seats are kind of small and do not offer a lot of comfort on a long drive. We have 2 Acura MDXs (03 and 07) hence why the TL seems kind of small! We also have a G35x so he already does not like sedans and their smaller size. He wanted me to consider the RDX because it would offer more utility and protection. What do you guys think? Is the NAV resolution the same in the 2011 RDX? What about the ELS sound system? I understand the clearance that the ride of the RDX offers will be better for the snow in the midwest... but would the TL have any problems? I'm at another cross-roads again... the TL is gorgeous and has everything I want... the RDX just reminds me of the CRV too much and doesn't seem as luxurious. Does the RDX come with milano leather?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Two very different driving experiences. SUV vs. sports sedan.

Those who have driven the TL through winter conditions generally report very favorably on the TL's ability to get through snow. But if that's very important to you, you're right, the extra RDX ground clearance would probably help. Especially if you're not so concerned with dry weather performance handling, the RDX (or MDX) might be the best choice for you. Just don't expect those cars to handle like a TL AWD in the twisties.

The other point to consider - the RDX is a turbo 4 cylinder. I've not driven one, but the reports are that it's fairly quick, but that the engine is a bit coarse. You'll just have to decide what your priorities are and perhaps drive them back to back.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced

I'm sure they will both handle fine. My problem is that if I'm going to be spending the same amount of money... Why do I want to be spending that money on a lot of plastic interior (RDX) instead of the more "luxurious" (using that word liberally) interior and appointments of the TL?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 AM
9th Gear

Just to put some things in perspective for you. Just picked up new 2010 awd tl base for 31,700 sucker wad 39,500. The CPO price you listed does not look so good. As far as BMW and Xdrive, you will not have any problems in the snow unless you can't clear the snow bank. In general the 335 is a great car, you will gave way more fun in it than in a TL. But if you go with the BMW make sure it's CPO with extended warranty, it will not be more reliable than TL. If you want more reliability from BMW go with 328, but 335 is just too much fun.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Advanced

So, I was having cold feet with the RDX scenario! Put a deposit down on the PMM/Taupe... They threw in splash guards at $36,700. I know I probably could have done better, but at this point with such low inventory and limited color choices, I'm ok with it.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I was having cold feet with the RDX scenario! Put a deposit down on the PMM/Taupe... They threw in splash guards at $36,700. I know I probably could have done better, but at this point with such low inventory and limited color choices, I'm ok with it.
Congrats! LOL about the RDX.

Quick Reply: Used CPO 2010 Acura TL or...