Undecided: FWD vs SHAWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undecided: FWD vs SHAWD

Hello, have enjoyed all the info and everyone's passion for their vehicles.

Looking seriously at the 09 vs 2010TL and timing to buy is in the summer. It's been a while since I test drove the FWD and SHAWD (not on the same day) so my impressions are a bit fuzzy.

Was wondering if owners of either can help me out in the following areas where I see the most differences between the two other than the $4k.

1) Fuel economy: I know the estimated EPA, but what have people been getting. Seems like the SHAWD has been getting ~23-24 on HWY based on KeithTL's thread. How about the FWD owners? Matching up to the 18/26 figures?

2) Cargo space: For SHAWD owners, does that rear differential hump impeded how you carry cargo? Can a full size luggage fit back there long-ways?

3) Torque steer: Did not recall severe problems during my test drive. FWD owners, any problems compared to the 3G? On the Acura website they did mention torque-reduction in the lower 2 gears for FWD TL to combat this problem. If not, has the torque reduction impacted low-end acceleration at all? Curious to see if anyone did any unofficial 0-60 with FWD?

4) Noise isolation: I did notice louder exhaust/engine noise with SHAWD, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it. Any complaints from SHAWD owners in this department?

5) Front-end styling: To me the front reflectors on the FWD looks too busy especially on darker colors. Has any FWD owners been able to modify it or change it to a SHAWD look?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWD reporting in sir!

1) Fuel economy varies upon the driver, road conditions, and often they how punch it? I punch it all the time with stop and go LA traffic, at present it's 23.9 MPG, and getting about 335 miles to a tank.

2) It varies upon the luggage, but I can cram the same amount of stuff that I did in my 05 TL. How about 3 adult golfers and their bags, shoes and a cooler, sitting very comfortably?

3) No issues on Torque steer as I'm still acclimating to the very responsive and tight 4G steering. I love it and it smokes my old 3G.

4) SHAWD is definitely louder with all engine components, as there is more going on, it's heavier, engine, exhaust, horses, suspension, etc...but sounds sweet to my ears.

5) No official mods yet, the front end reflectors are smaller on the AWD, with a little vent to cool the front brakes, the FWD does not have that, get the tech package with either model, a must for tech junkies!

The important factor for either car is rims and tires! No question it makes the car. The stock on the FWD is very Honda looking and does not say I'm $40,000 car! If your going AWD, you should be set. If you go FWD, think about an upgrade. I have the stock rims with 50 profile tires, yes it's a softer ride, but doesn't compliment this new body style at all. I try not to look at the rims. Ughh.

Accessories that make the car for me are, splash guards, side molding, trunk fin, trunk mat (flimsy but looks cool when you open the trunk), painted to match grill and bumper on the Black Pearl paint for sure. See Dr. Evil's ride, it's pretty sweet! Good luck with it!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ll_22
1) Fuel economy: I know the estimated EPA, but what have people been getting. Seems like the SHAWD has been getting ~23-24 on HWY based on KeithTL's thread. How about the FWD owners? Matching up to the 18/26 figures?
I have now done about 400 miles on my SH and I will say it seems to be getting about 1-1.5 MPG less around town than my Type-S did at the same point in time. My Type-S easily got 27 MPG on the HWY, I can get around 25 in the SH if I keep it under 65, 70+ and it drops fast to like 24. I would expect the FWD to get abotu 1-2 MPG better than the AWD. Seems like the 3G 3.2 was great on gas, my 07 used to get about 22.5 around town and 28-30 on HWY. There is no denying the SH-AWD adds weight and drag to the engine, but really 1-2 MPG even for me at 18K miles a year and assuming $3 gas is only $250 a year so I'll take that hit.

2) Cargo space: For SHAWD owners, does that rear differential hump impeded how you carry cargo? Can a full size luggage fit back there long-ways?
The hump is not that bad, I find the trunk is more usable than my Type-S since I keep 2 large tote bins in the trunk. Go see a G37 then let's talk trunks.

3) Torque steer: Did not recall severe problems during my test drive. FWD owners, any problems compared to the 3G? On the Acura website they did mention torque-reduction in the lower 2 gears for FWD TL to combat this problem. If not, has the torque reduction impacted low-end acceleration at all? Curious to see if anyone did any unofficial 0-60 with FWD
I really think torque steer is over blown. It was mainly a 6 spd issue, not an automatic. I had a Type-S and never noticed torque steer, but then I drive sane and rarely get to the floor with the pedal.

4) Noise isolation: I did notice louder exhaust/engine noise with SHAWD, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it. Any complaints from SHAWD owners in this department?
4G is much quieter than the 3G hands down, SH or FWD.

5) Front-end styling: To me the front reflectors on the FWD looks too busy especially on darker colors. Has any FWD owners been able to modify it or change it to a SHAWD look?
The beak is growing on me, but I plan on getting the Ron Jon grill in May when he releases it. If you get a darker color painting the beak is the best way to go I have seen 2 and it transforms the car. The bigger issue to me after the beak is the FWD wheels, they do not fit the style of the car and are dwarfed in the wells in the 4G. The SH wheels really make the car.

Now some other items for consideraton, the SH is a totally different ride, it is night and day from the FWD, that shoudl be your main and first decision point as you buy a car to drive. The FWD is more a luxury ride than any verison TL before it and the SH is a more sportier ride than even the Type-S. Compared to my Type-S the SH is a little firmer, but soaks up bumps better, but you do feel more of the road.

Some minor thinsg are the Bluetooth, it down right sucks. They have taken a huge stpe backward on the HFL from the 3G, it is extremely frustrating and if your phone does not support a phonebook import it is down right ugly using the HFL.

The ELS is far better than the 3G as is the NAVI.

I'm still not thrilled with the huge clutter of button and cheap i-drive like controller.

And this time I leased, for 2 reasons, one I don;t want to worry about keeping the car so prsitine for resale, but more on the TL it is so controversal styling I don't want to be stuck with it past when I want to get rid of it although I suspect the SH will be easier to sell than the FWD since they are so rare.

Also on that point the SH is becoming very rare, at least here in the SE. There are no more being built until March and even then you're probaly looking at only 150-200 being built for all dealers, so it will be rather exclusive, but hard to find what you want. I am in ATL and went to TN to get the only Palladium Metallic over Ebony for over 300 miles!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Instructor

If you want the car to putt around in, don't care about the way it drives, etc... etc... I would recommend looking at a Lexus ES too.

If you care about the way to drive, and you have the financial means...just go for SH-AWD. The steering is better, the handling is better, and my god...an Acura (non-NSX) that can rotate under power!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
TL SL ML :)

AWD is the way to go
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
E55>>>TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blazinginder
AWD is the way to go
RWD>AWD...I guess it's b/c I live in Cali where it's summer 90% of the time. So in your case I'd get AWD.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
sh-awd
Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dr_brains510
RWD>AWD...I guess it's b/c I live in Cali where it's summer 90% of the time. So in your case I'd get AWD.
The old idea that RWD>AWD>FWD> has diminished with the torque vectoring seen on the Acuras, EVO, and upcoming Audis. The only RWD car with torque vectoring that I know of is the F430 with the E-Diff... So if going around corners fast is your goal...the newer AWD systems are awesome.

But if you want to do some mad sweet drifting or whatever...then RWD....but you can still have lots of hooligan fun with RWD.

Skip to 6:40:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzZD...eature=related
Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love it when these guys just throw out the AWD and that it's the way to go without even weighing in the variables. Please draw your own conclusions. The FWD is no slouch by any means. If you want to drift, take corners at 50mph, torque this, torque that, stabilizers, blaze at 130mph, blah blah blah...if you want all this crap the TL is not for you, get serious sports car. In the meanwhile the FWD TL for under $40K is a blast to drive and well rounded, beefy, mid-size luxurious car, the AWD is a bit sportier with a few more do-dads and seriously fun to drive. Your driving habits and environment should have an impact on your final decision.

I'd take Keith's post above to heart, as he really knows the TL line having a TL almost every 2 years since 04'.