Transmission being quirky

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission being quirky

I noticed it likes hang low at 1500 RMPs and has a little difficulty getting up there and the needle will bounce going at a steady pace, is this normal or is there some sort of problem? I'm pretty new to modern AT and this one is the 6AT. Any advice would be appriciated thanks.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 678 Likes on 367 Posts
Please Read the current TSB announcement posts. What year is your car, assuming '12-'14 TL? You have to search problems/fixes
Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Torque converter.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
This can be caused to due dirty (old) fluid in the transmission. You can only drain and refill 3.3 quarts of the 9-10 quarts the transmission holds.

Staying at 1500 RPM (more like 1100 with 6AT) is completely normal however the RPMS shouldn't be bouncing around. If the fluid change does not solve the issue, you need to go to acura to have the torque converter replaced.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

I also noticed today going up a hill or even slight incline it'll be real hesitant to accelerate. I was thinking it might need a fluid change and possibly put some Lucas or Ames trans oil in it and see what happens. I'm warrantied another 3 years or 49000 miles.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Please Read the current TSB announcement posts. What year is your car, assuming '12-'14 TL? You have to search problems/fixes
It's a '12
Old 08-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
This can be caused to due dirty (old) fluid in the transmission. You can only drain and refill 3.3 quarts of the 9-10 quarts the transmission holds.

Staying at 1500 RPM (more like 1100 with 6AT) is completely normal however the RPMS shouldn't be bouncing around. If the fluid change does not solve the issue, you need to go to acura to have the torque converter replaced.
Would a torque converter be covered on a bumper to bumper warranty?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheWop
I also noticed today going up a hill or even slight incline it'll be real hesitant to accelerate. I was thinking it might need a fluid change and possibly put some Lucas or Ames trans oil in it and see what happens. I'm warrantied another 3 years or 49000 miles.
It's a '12
Would a torque converter be covered on a bumper to bumper warranty?
The hesitation is also a symptom of a failing torque converter or of bad fluid. Try to see if you can record a video of the hesitation or the RPM bouncing around. If you can, Acura will be more inclined to replace your torque converter. Apparently acura used 2 types of torque converters in 2012, one being the old style and one being a newer updated part. Its very likely you have the old style, as soon as the auto tech hooks up to the computer he can check the TQ converter ID and see if it's the one that needs to be replaced with an updated part or if it's one that simply needs a software update and new fluid. There is a TSB that came out this month that explains it perfectly. If you print it and take it with you to the dealer there should be almost zero pushback on getting it resolved.

yes the Torque converter is covered under powertrain warranty and bumper to bumper. If the dealer asks you for a fluid change at your cost, direct them to the TSB where Acura is billed.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator

TSB Link:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-046.PDF
Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
The hesitation is also a symptom of a failing torque converter or of bad fluid. Try to see if you can record a video of the hesitation or the RPM bouncing around. If you can, Acura will be more inclined to replace your torque converter. Apparently acura used 2 types of torque converters in 2012, one being the old style and one being a newer updated part. Its very likely you have the old style, as soon as the auto tech hooks up to the computer he can check the TQ converter ID and see if it's the one that needs to be replaced with an updated part or if it's one that simply needs a software update and new fluid. There is a TSB that came out this month that explains it perfectly. If you print it and take it with you to the dealer there should be almost zero pushback on getting it resolved.

yes the Torque converter is covered under powertrain warranty and bumper to bumper. If the dealer asks you for a fluid change at your cost, direct them to the TSB where Acura is billed.
Do you happen to know the difference between the types of torque converters in the 12+ models?
That TSB says all 13 & 14 models as well as a VIN range for the 2012 models.
My VIN is xxxxxCA802xxxx so it is not within the range. But then I'm not sure if there is any difference in the TSB for the Canadian models.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LNJ
Do you happen to know the difference between the types of torque converters in the 12+ models?
That TSB says all 13 & 14 models as well as a VIN range for the 2012 models.
My VIN is xxxxxCA802xxxx so it is not within the range. But then I'm not sure if there is any difference in the TSB for the Canadian models.
My mistake, Posted the wrong TSB, this should have more info:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-040.PDF
The following users liked this post:
Cooldude01 (08-23-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

My mistake, Posted the wrong TSB, this should have more info:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-040.PDF
Now would this reflect on a warranty or is it considered a recall? Sorry if I'm rubbing off as ignorant but I'd prefer to bring it to an Acura dealer over the Chrysler dealership I bought it from.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Now would this reflect on a warranty or is it considered a recall? Sorry if I'm rubbing off as ignorant but I'd prefer to bring it to an Acura dealer over the Chrysler dealership I bought it from.
Should go to the acura dealership. The car is covered under 4yr/50K mile Bumper to bumper (1 year, 12K longer if it's certified Pre-owned) and Powertrain Warranty is 6yrs/70K miles. If your car falls under that acura should cover it without an issue since it's a powertrain item.

If you go to the chrysler dealership they won't know what to do! Did you purchase an extended warranty though them? If yes, your acura dealer can use it for the repair if needed, or you can talk to the acura finance guy about Acura Extended Warranty plans which tend to be cheaper and better than 3rd party plans.

The documents above are not a recall nor warranty persay, it's an information document sent to dealers so they know what repairs to do the first time.
The Aug 3rd document clearly states that HONDA/ACURA extended the warranty to 8yrs/105K on the torque converter to ensure customer satisfaction so you'll be covered for a good bit on the actual torque converter.

Last edited by csmeance; 08-15-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 AM
Intermediate

Should go to the acura dealership. The car is covered under 4yr/50K mile Bumper to bumper (1 year, 12K longer if it's certified Pre-owned) and Powertrain Warranty is 6yrs/70K miles. If your car falls under that acura should cover it without an issue since it's a powertrain item.

If you go to the chrysler dealership they won't know what to do! Did you purchase an extended warranty though them? If yes, your acura dealer can use it for the repair if needed, or you can talk to the acura finance guy about Acura Extended Warranty plans which tend to be cheaper and better than 3rd party plans.

The documents above are not a recall nor warranty persay, it's an information document sent to dealers so they know what repairs to do the first time.
The Aug 3rd document clearly states that HONDA/ACURA extended the warranty to 8yrs/105K on the torque converter to ensure customer satisfaction so you'll be covered for a good bit on the actual torque converter.
Ok thanks for the advice I'll look into that Acura warranty and cancel my other, the pro rate should be good considering I've had the car a month. First I'll check with the Chrysler dealer and see if an Acura dealership can do warranty work (imo I think I'd be good but best to check). I don't mind taking advantage that the closest Acura dealership is a very very reputable autogroup that specializes in high-end vehicles.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Just curious where you are located?
Are you in the GTA or Hamilton area?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
My wife has a '12 SH-AWD with the 6AT. When we were getting ready to buy it out as the lease was ending (about 32k miles) I drove the car and noticed the transmission was being jerky at lower RPM's, especially when you needed the torque to go up a hill or accelerating. I did a flush - and -drain of the ATF fluid and it got a lot better. After we bought the car, we then noticed the bubbling/gurgling sound that was tied to the external ATF filter, and the dealer replaced the filter and did another drain - and- fill of the ATF fluid. After that second refresh of the fluid, the car was driving like new and has been flawless since.

So I'd definitely try the low-impact route first of doing 1-2 drain-and-fill routines and see if it corrects the issue, before trying the torque converter TSB (I'd rather keep the driveline in tact unless I have to pry it apart).

andy
Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the exact problem you had with my 2012 acura TL sh-awd. I bought the car with 50k. I brought it back a few times complaning of the same things you stated. After acura tried a few different things it still was doing the ideal bouncing. After the foreman came out he said the transmission needs to be replaced. Luckily for me it was covered by the warranty. Good luck hope it works or worked out for you.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davisv
I had the exact problem you had with my 2012 acura TL sh-awd. I bought the car with 50k. I brought it back a few times complaning of the same things you stated. After acura tried a few different things it still was doing the ideal bouncing. After the foreman came out he said the transmission needs to be replaced. Luckily for me it was covered by the warranty. Good luck hope it works or worked out for you.
Yes it did, turns out there was an update for the computer Acura sent out to the dealers. Updated the computer and changed the fluid and filter all free, and gave me a 2016 TLX as a free loaner lol.
The following users liked this post:
Lee C (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes it did, turns out there was an update for the computer Acura sent out to the dealers. Updated the computer and changed the fluid and filter all free, and gave me a 2016 TLX as a free loaner lol.
How many miles on your car Wop LOL Thanks