Traded-in the TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
yikes... where i live that kind of car is only used by bodyguards, or police officers,
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JZDX
Sarcasm FTW !!!!!!

I think the red text is lost on most of the people here. It's fairly prevalent in Ramblings.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I hear ya. Comfort is a biggie, esp in a daily driver. Although my problem is a sore right leg, as GunnerX is experiencing.
docboy, could you elaborate on this (I must've missed the posts by GunnerX)? The reason why I am asking is because I get a sore right leg from my '09 TSX within minutes of driving. Seat adjustments seemed to help slightly but then in a few days, it was right back. This is the only car I have ever experienced this in.

I had an '09 TL loaner for many days while my car was getting some work done on it and I didn't experience this at all...wondering if I had one long-term if this would happen again, though.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
docboy, could you elaborate on this (I must've missed the posts by GunnerX)? The reason why I am asking is because I get a sore right leg from my '09 TSX within minutes of driving. Seat adjustments seemed to help slightly but then in a few days, it was right back. This is the only car I have ever experienced this in.

I had an '09 TL loaner for many days while my car was getting some work done on it and I didn't experience this at all...wondering if I had one long-term if this would happen again, though.
Sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but since the OP's issue with his former TL was comfort (albeit due to active headrest), this post should be somewhat relevant due to the category of comfort issues.

I'm not sure what is going on with my right leg...

I had a 05 TSX that fit me like a glove. My only minor comfort complaint with the TSX was a sore lower back, which I attribute the insufficient lumbar support. Other than that, I miss the TSX.

Then traded in the TSX for 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD. Irony here is that I traded the TSX to get that "luxurious Lexus comfort" and I wanted AWD for the winters. Over time, the AWD hump from the middle console which protruded in the footwell space began bothering my right leg/knee/hip; never bothered me during the test drives and I never knew to look for such thing. The hump became a chronic long term cancer, I couldn't drive the dam car without my knee hurting. I got sick of it so 4000 miles later, I traded in the IS for the TL 6MT. Took a big financial hit.

Initially my right leg/knee/hip was so much more comfy in the TL than when I had the IS. Now ~6800 miles later, my right leg has begun to get sore. Double irony. I'm not sure why. The TL's interior is very roomy with plenty of front and rear leg space compared to the 1G TSX and IS, and I made sure there were no annoying humps. I have only hypothesize as what's causing the soreness:

1) The accelerator pedal is fairly stiff, more so than the 1G TSX and IS. I've never test driven the 2G TSX, so ESHBG maybe you can chime in on this.
2) I'm not used to the constant shifting of the 6MT and having to push in/release the gas pedal. Then again, my left leg is not sore, so dunno.
3) My job occupation involved a constant repetitions of my extremities, including my right leg (I'm a dentist, so I constantly have to step on a foot pedal with my right foot). It may be over time my right leg/foot is starting to develop a repetitive stress disorder.
4) The TL has a very minor "step" I've been noticing just lateral to the footwell space adjacent to the middle console. Maybe my foot doesn't like this step?
5) I've developed a peripheral cardiovascular condition that is affecting my right foot/leg
6) I'm imagining all of this and I'm mentally deranged, blaming everything on the car

I have no problems with the headrests, and the 4G TL is otherwise an awesome sports sedan with terrific power, handling, and traction, with room for the family.

ESHBG, I would appreciate your insight on your 2G TSX and how it compares to my experience with the TL.

GunnerX, any thoughts?

Last edited by docboy; 05-19-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised.....

So many are so happy with the 4G's.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-LESS THAN ONE MONTH AWAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
docboy, thanks for the info and it sounds as if we have the same exact problem. I know it's my seat because the pain is non-existent before I get in my car, and immediately stops as soon as I get out. Through trial and error it appears as if the right side bolster combined with how my leg needs to rest to hit the gas pedal (and how far my left leg needs to be to hit the dead pedal; I never liked this about my car, and it seems as if the dead pedal is too far left and doesn't extend out far enough) is the culprit. I found that if you have the forward/back tilt (NOT for the back part only, but the setting that changes how the whole seat sits) farther back (which is how I like it to be unfortunately) it makes it worse. I leveled it out a little more and that seemed to have helped somewhat.

This is the only car I have ever experienced this in and my '07 TSX was never like this. Strangely, though, I find the '09's seats far more comfortable overall and fitting for my frame.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP and others having this comfort problem... How tall are you guys and what do you weigh? I'm looking at this as a potential vehicle, and the the TL seems to have a bunch of room for my extra grande body. Comfort would be a huge issue for me and if something like 'leg pain' crept up on me after spending that kind of $$, I'd be miffed to say the least.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
I can start a better flamewar than you guys.

Charger R/T R > TL SH-AWD
Nawh, if it came from a true TL-SH AWD owner or Acura head perhaps.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
GunnerX, any thoughts?
Sorry, I haven't been checking this thread since the first few posts. I haven't gotten the same leg pains as when I did a full day of driving. However, I do notice that the angle of my leg is quite different from the 3G. Paired with the stiffer pedals, I think it causes the issue.

I will going for a long drive tomorrow so I'll see if the issue appears again. Hopefully not as I'm going to Paintball.

/hijack
Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crued
To the OP and others having this comfort problem... How tall are you guys and what do you weigh? I'm looking at this as a potential vehicle, and the the TL seems to have a bunch of room for my extra grande body. Comfort would be a huge issue for me and if something like 'leg pain' crept up on me after spending that kind of $$, I'd be miffed to say the least.
I'm not sure this comfort issue is a function of height/weight. I'm 5'11" 168lbs. Possibly related to width of leg and feet, perhaps?? I wear 10.5 extra wide shoes.

Originally Posted by GunnerX
Sorry, I haven't been checking this thread since the first few posts. I haven't gotten the same leg pains as when I did a full day of driving. However, I do notice that the angle of my leg is quite different from the 3G. Paired with the stiffer pedals, I think it causes the issue.

I will going for a long drive tomorrow so I'll see if the issue appears again. Hopefully not as I'm going to Paintball.

/hijack
Keep us updated GunnerX. I removed the driver's side el cheapo all season floor mats I bought, since I noticed the mats lumps over a little towards the middle console, as the mats are not customized to the TL's floor shape.

Seems to help a little bit, but after a daily commute and runny errands, my right leg is still a little sore with a slight burning sensation. Not painful like that in my prior disastrous Lexus IS 250 AWD.

The TL's seats are still very comfortable and supportive, unlike that of the IS 250's where after 35minutes my butt felt like it was sitting on a hard wooden floor.

I'm tending to think that the angle of the leg is the issue here. I recall in my 1G TSX my leg was very comfortable.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM
6th Gear

Hey the TL isn't for everyone and I'm happy for you with your new car purchase. It looks good.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

Here's my experience with a hemi. On a trip to AZ I was lucky enough to have this rental. Obviously you can't perform this trick in a SH-AWD TL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0zxnYobbpw

Last edited by Mikes_in_PA; 05-31-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyT6MT
+1

+2
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by t5620
yikes... where i live that kind of car is only used by bodyguards, or police officers,

same here.....
Old 11-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's One Badass ride man..
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Anyone can do a burnout, but that car is a pig and turns like a pig, when it wants to not when the driver tells it to...

And anyone with a V8 has no right to complain about gas mileage...

And be prepared to be given the serious run around if anything happens to your car, I foresee woes at the stealership already, and that is personal experience when looking at any dodge, ford, chrysler, chevy dealership,

Last edited by OperationDarkie; 11-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Personally, if I was trading it in for American Muscle, I would have gone for the new Mustang GT.....412 hp, fast as a M3, better gas mileage than a TL SH-AWD (if you can believe that), and a much better interior than its GM rivals.
To me the Camaro SS is amazing, and quite frankly the other Chrysler, the Challenger is way cooler than the Charger. That said, if that's what you are looking for (Raw Power), those cars will all be nice.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
You do realize that the Challenger and Charger have the same platform, suspension, drivetrains (aside from the Challenger having an MT option) interior... basically everything.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure OP knew he'd get a bit of flak for his choice of car, but people here will say the Charger is a cheap American POS with poor gas mileage, and all the Charger owners probably call the TL an ugly overweight slow dog.

Long as you're happy with the car, that's all that matters
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

If that's your thing...the TL isin a galaxy far far away from a Dodge....
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
You do realize that the Challenger and Charger have the same platform, suspension, drivetrains (aside from the Challenger having an MT option) interior... basically everything.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure OP knew he'd get a bit of flak for his choice of car, but people here will say the Charger is a cheap American POS with poor gas mileage, and all the Charger owners probably call the TL an ugly overweight slow dog.

Long as you're happy with the car, that's all that matters
Yeah, i know, both made at the Bramalea Ontario car plant, but to me the Challenger looks way better from the exterior.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I'm glad you are more happy but I hope you realize that the Charger is not comparable to the TL.....
Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by saturno_v
I'm glad you are more happy but I hope you realize that the Charger is not comparable to the TL.....

It's not comparable, say what Saruno_v? Nawh dawg say it ain't so...I was going to trade mine in for a Mini Cooper S-Type. I mean the ratio of power to weight...no, the mechanics, no...well hell they do have few colors that are comparable. Damn dude, way to dash a mans dreams. Thanks for nothing.

Last edited by compewterbleu; 11-10-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Instructor

I'm surprised you didn't wait for the new Charger, which is leaps and bounds ahead of the outgoing model!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG

I thought I had an issue with the left armrest, turned out to be related to my frequent masturbation. A big Thank You to my wife for putting out again.

Originally Posted by PenguinTL
I'm surprised you didn't wait for the new Charger, which is leaps and bounds ahead of the outgoing model!
Charger is a little too old school for me. Did you see those seats? Talk about a sore left leg!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Wow this thread is still going!

It's been 6 months since I traded in the TL for the Charger. Very happy with the Charger. I'm disappointed the TL didn't work out and fortunately I was in a position to fix the issues I had with the TL.

The TL and Charger aren't in the same galaxy as another poster said so there's no point in trying to compare. Two very different cars.

The Charger is now the 5th Chrysler vehicle I've owned and/or leased, and I've had very few problems with any of them. I'm not expecting stealership issues especially since I don't have an AWD system that needs maintenance or that can crap out over time. As for gas mileage, I was a HEMI guy before the TL and am a HEMI guy again. The enjoyment I have from the V8 far outweighs and gas mileage issue, btw I get 19-21 combined depending on how many WOT's I do when I drive.

The Challenger...one very sharp car. They're perty... Two doors though which doesn't suit me hence why I got the Charger. If I didn't need four doors, then I would have bought a Challenger, or a Camaro or a Mustang. Man I love American muscle.

Not a fan of how the 2011 Charger looks. It's causing stirrings on Charger forums. Most don't care for it right now, but I'm sure people will warm up to it as time goes by. The '11's aren't due on lots for another 30-60 days and I didn't want to/couldn't wait that long so I got the '10.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Btw, I selling a set of four (4) black all-season floor mats for the 09-10 TL SH-AWD from when I had my TL. I used them for 6 mo and am looking to sell them. They're in very good shape and are clean. If you're interested in buying them send me a PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah plus college campus security and mall security.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by btomcik
Btw, I selling a set of four (4) black all-season floor mats for the 09-10 TL SH-AWD from when I had my TL. I used them for 6 mo and am looking to sell them. They're in very good shape and are clean. If you're interested in buying them send me a PM.
I haven't been here long enough to PM, but PM me your email address to get in touch with you!!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CadiGTi
JZDX; One correction, the Dodge is not an American car, The Dodge is built in Canada and owned by an Italian Company subsidized through the US taxpayers, the TL is built in Ohio by Americans who's wages pay into the US Social Security system.
Nice comeback!

These are distinctly different cars on completely different levels of refinement.

Additionally, OP, why post here? Why are you looking for approval from a bunch of Acura fanatics?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Additionally, OP, why post here? Why are you looking for approval from a bunch of Acura fanatics?

See my very first post.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

A simple "Thank you, I've moved on" would have sufficed.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

This is wild, it's like you go shopping for a Mini Cooper, buy a Maxima, then trade it in on a Mustang GT..wtf? Do people know what they wanted to start with?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
While I am fully behind people getting the right car for themselves, this really makes mewonder what the hell went on at the dealer that made the OP get a car that cost so much yet was an uncomfortable car. I am extremely critical of a car before I get it. Its a lot of money to mess with for sure! The Dodge and the Acura are SO different...wouldn't a simple test drive tell a guy which car speaks to him louder?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
A simple "Thank you, I've moved on" would have sufficed.

Anyway...Compewterbleu - I wanted a manual tranny with AWD. Out of the very limited choices, I narrowed it down to a TL which was my first choice and obviously the car I got.

MrHeeltoe - unfortunately a few 30-minute test drives didn't let me spend enough time in it to find the comfort problems that occured after driving the car for a while. You're absolutely right - it was a lot of money! What bothered me most about the whole thing was that I spent a lot of money on a supposed luxury car that I couldn't even enjoy and be comfortable in. Wasn't too long after I got it that I realized I made a mistake, which made the whole thing even more disappointing.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
While I am fully behind people getting the right car for themselves, this really makes mewonder what the hell went on at the dealer that made the OP get a car that cost so much yet was an uncomfortable car. I am extremely critical of a car before I get it. Its a lot of money to mess with for sure! The Dodge and the Acura are SO different...wouldn't a simple test drive tell a guy which car speaks to him louder?
Actually it doesn't always...even having had a 2007 TL-S, the test drive with my 2010 didn't really accurately represent how much tighter sprung the AWD is on less-than-stellar pavement. It wasn't until I took my new car home and drove it to work that I realized it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it was initially.

Really, the best thing to do if one is desperate for comfort is to take the car overnight and test it on the roads you drive most often. The Acura dealer is about 25 miles from my house, so I didn't do that on my test drive. But I also discovered some neat features in the car that I didn't know about on the test drive, so I suppose it goes both ways

Bottom line is, we all need to be happy with what we've got. If the OP can afford to swap and be more comfy, then so be it. I've never been a fan of the outgoing Charger, and I love domestic V8s (have a 2011 5.0). But if that's what makes him smile when he goes out in the driveway, I respect that.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Actually it doesn't always...even having had a 2007 TL-S, the test drive with my 2010 didn't really accurately represent how much tighter sprung the AWD is on less-than-stellar pavement. It wasn't until I took my new car home and drove it to work that I realized it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it was initially.

Really, the best thing to do if one is desperate for comfort is to take the car overnight and test it on the roads you drive most often. The Acura dealer is about 25 miles from my house, so I didn't do that on my test drive. But I also discovered some neat features in the car that I didn't know about on the test drive, so I suppose it goes both ways

Bottom line is, we all need to be happy with what we've got. If the OP can afford to swap and be more comfy, then so be it. I've never been a fan of the outgoing Charger, and I love domestic V8s (have a 2011 5.0). But if that's what makes him smile when he goes out in the driveway, I respect that.
Amen Penguin.

Hey getting off course here, how do you like your '11 Mustang? I've never been a Ford guy or a Mustang fan in particular, but I too enjoy and have an appreciation for American V8 muscle. I give some major props to Ford for the output they got out of the new 5.0. They did a great job with that car - I really hope you enjoy it a lot. Some car magazines are comparing the new 5.0 to the BMW M3 - can you believe it?!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
The Dodge and the Acura are SO different...wouldn't a simple test drive tell a guy which car speaks to him louder?
Not really unfortunately. Sometimes you just don't notice things until you have it for a LONG time. One can be overly critical of the major things, but sometimes its the accumulation of small things, or just one small oversight, that can kill ya.

Originally Posted by btomcik

MrHeeltoe - unfortunately a few 30-minute test drives didn't let me spend enough time in it to find the comfort problems that occured after driving the car for a while. You're absolutely right - it was a lot of money! What bothered me most about the whole thing was that I spent a lot of money on a supposed luxury car that I couldn't even enjoy and be comfortable in. Wasn't too long after I got it that I realized I made a mistake, which made the whole thing even more disappointing.
Agreed. Same thing happened to me. Traded in my 1G TSX for a fully loaded 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD. Wasn't until a few weeks later I discovered the car to be so dam uncomfortable and confining on my right leg/knee/hip I couldn't drive the dam "luxurious and plush" car without pain. The leg pain, plus the annoying rattle, plus the useless nav system, then the safety recalls, etc... Traded it in 4000 miles later for the 4G TL. Very expensive for sure, but at that point, I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

+1. Life is too short. Work hard, play hard.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
OP you let your co-worker get under your skin?

Acura TL>>>>>Charger

Regardless the charger has the power there the quality of the vehicle is low.

hey its your money
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

One good thing about the Charger is that Michael C. Hall's(Dexter) voice over is incredible, especially the commercial with the monkey then the PETA revised one with the invisible monkey. Does that say I think the Charger is a bunch of monkey business compared to the SH-AWD TL, not necessarily just that in automobile refinement the Acura is a better pick from the bunch.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Suum cuique.

Quick Reply: Traded-in the TL SH-AWD