Traded-in the TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded-in the TL SH-AWD

As you've seen from some of my other posts, I was pretty unhappy with my experience with my 2010 TL SH-AWD due to some big comfort issues with the seats that only became apparent after I owned the vehicle for a few weeks and drove it for some time. I grew so frustrated and fed-up with the car and my situation over time that I needed to make things right. So I traded-in the car this weekend and got a new car. My new ride is a 2010 Dodge Charger R/T with the Hemi V8. I was a Hemi-guy before the Acura, so I'm back to Hemi-land again.

I wanted to thank all of you for being such great participants in this very informative and fun forum. And thanks for listening to my problems I've had with the car and offering opinions and suggestions.

Good luck to everybody with their Acura and take care.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Beatuiful Ride! That is one big ass engine!

It's too bad that the TL didn't work for you, but life it too short to be uncomfortable in something we spend so much time in.

Congrats on Hemi
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful ride, times two.

I've driven many a Charger and 300 with either Hemi. Excellent cars.

And the seats in those sport packages are AWESOME.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
That reminds me - any interior shots?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
TL and Charger are two different cars - both do what they were designed to do very well. Sorry the TL didn't work out for you but one can't argue with Hemi power! GL with your new ride.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sorry the TL didn't work out for you btomkic. Personally, i think the TL seats are among the comfiest seats i've been in. Perfect blend of cushion and support. Then again, I don't sit leaning back (i kind of slouch) Now if they could only somehow fit seat coolers in there hmmm

enjoy the hemi!!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by petec2010
That reminds me - any interior shots?
I'll have to take some and post!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Beatuiful Ride! That is one big ass engine!

It's too bad that the TL didn't work for you, but life it too short to be uncomfortable in something we spend so much time in.

Congrats on Hemi
+1

Sometimes in life we just have to go with what works. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the TL in the trade in?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Oh and I forgot one thing. Be a good man and put some Dynomax on the thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka1CA...os=u9OpWZFJRgI
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's good to be able to have choices!

enjoy your white beast!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Op... I have the same discomfort as you specified.
Kinda thinking of trading it in with only 1100 miles on it.

Any insight on trade-in value?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I wish you would've gottenthe SRT8!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is it really that bad? i do notice that the headrests on cars nowadays are more "forward" than before. But i got used to that driving my 2006 civic sedan. (prior to the civic, i had a 1996 accord that had pretty straight headrests)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nsxtl
Op... I have the same discomfort as you specified.
Kinda thinking of trading it in with only 1100 miles on it.

Any insight on trade-in value?
Thanks
Ughh... not you too?

I'm thinking, dare I saw, MDX...
Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
Ughh... not you too?

I'm thinking, dare I saw, MDX...
I doubt that I will, since it's still so new. I hate to waste money in that fashion, but comfort is important in a car that I'm in all the time.Thinking more of the new E class.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, if I was trading it in for American Muscle, I would have gone for the new Mustang GT.....412 hp, fast as a M3, better gas mileage than a TL SH-AWD (if you can believe that), and a much better interior than its GM rivals.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
ZOMG...lol. Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Hope they have something nice for you to drive at the stealership when it's in for service....weekly. Not hating...just..yikes, did you at least read about the build quality issues on things they're having? I'll put it this way; the nextdoor neighbor has been a parts manager with Wyler Dodge here just outside of Cincinnati for 15 years - and he won't buy another one.

I grew up around Superbirds, Dusters, Cudas and Javelins...Grandpa sold and fixed up Plymouth and Dodge products for 30 years...Mopar doesnt put one together like they used to.

Hope you find more comfort in it than you did in the Acura.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
ZOMG...lol. Whatever makes you happy I suppose. Hope they have something nice for you to drive at the stealership when it's in for service....weekly. Not hating...just..yikes, did you at least read about the build quality issues on things they're having? I'll put it this way; the nextdoor neighbor has been a parts manager with Wyler Dodge here just outside of Cincinnati for 15 years - and he won't buy another one.
They really aren't that bad, not the LX platform vehicles once they're a couple of years into production.

I've never known anyone to have any serious problems with an LX Hemi. The V-6 models have trash engines and trash trannies.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Personally, if I was trading it in for American Muscle, I would have gone for the new Mustang GT.....412 hp, fast as a M3, better gas mileage than a TL SH-AWD (if you can believe that), and a much better interior than its GM rivals.
He probably wanted four doors though....
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by nsxtl
I doubt that I will, since it's still so new. I hate to waste money in that fashion, but comfort is important in a car that I'm in all the time.Thinking more of the new E class.
I hear ya. Comfort is a biggie, esp in a daily driver. Although my problem is a sore right leg, as GunnerX is experiencing.

I did it once already, 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD (4000 miles) -> 10 TL SH-AWD 6MT

Took a big hit. Wife will kill me twice if I do it again.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear the Acura didnt work out for you. How bad of a hit did you take on it being so new? Hope the new ride is everything you want and as comfortable too.

My brother is a big mopar fan .. he has an old Satelite and a 68 GTX .. My other brother and myself are classic GM lovers.. he has a 65 Chevelle and I had a 68 camaro that I sold years ago. ( I miss it still )

Im sure your going to miss the SHAWD in the winter.. especially with the year you all just had.

At any rate.. enjoy the new ride
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by docboy
I hear ya. Comfort is a biggie, esp in a daily driver. Although my problem is a sore right leg, as GunnerX is experiencing.

I did it once already, 09 Lexus IS 250 AWD (4000 miles) -> 10 TL SH-AWD 6MT

Took a big hit. Wife will kill me twice if I do it again.
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread.
I too traded an 06 IS250 after 10K miles. Great resale value though.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow....nice....
Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Thank you all for the kind words on my Charger.

Yeah, the discomfort was that bad. I drive 25k miles a year and it got to the point a couple weeks ago where simple 20 minute drives were causing soreness.

I want/need four doors for the wife and kid.

Will probably get a DiabloSport Predator and high flow air filter.

Funny thing - I did test drive an SRT 8. Simply fantastic. It would have been a waste of power with me driving as I wouldn't have used it for its intended purposes. Plus the gas mileage is lousy and couple that with premium gas and it's a lot of gas money.

As for reliability, I've owned/leased several Chrysler vehicles over the years - a Wrangler, Dakota, Grand Cherokee, and Ram. Between the four I can count on one hand the number of repair/warranty issues.

The value of my trade was $32,000. The car was 6 months old with about 13,000 miles on it. I thought maybe it was worth a little more but it was a slight struggle to get the $32k out of it.

I put a lot down on the car when I bought it due to equity from my trade at the time, and paid well ahead during the 6 months I had it, so I acutally made $41 on the trade-in.

On the Charger, I got a Friends Discount through a friend of mine who works for Chrysler so the price was 1% under dealer invoice, then they took off another $3000 for incentives. All in all, a good deal I felt.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the detail info. GL with the new purchase.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
although you got a great deal...why wouldnt you wait for the 2011 Charger? its supposed to be amazing.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Instructor

I looked back at your old postings .. so it looks like your issue with your Acrua started here:

03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
TL = overpriced Honda according to coworker
One of my coworkers who is a sarcastic SOB made the following comment to me last week. I have the mindset that if someone's got my goat, I never let them know they got my goat, so I laughed the comment off at the time. However it did get under my skin

Then you posted

03-02-2010, 9:26 AM
Headrest issues
Anybody else strongly dislike the headrests for the TL? I have problems with neck fatigue since the headrest juts out so far forward. Take a look - they lean so far forward it's ridiculous.
I mailed Acura and will see what they say.

and the next day

03-03-2010, 7:18 PM
Acura called me today about my letter - they said there is nothing they can do for me, but that they very much do appreciate feedback from owners like me and that they'd forward my comments to design for future reference in designing the car

Must have been Air mail 1 day eh?

Then you give some advice for people -

03-31-2010, 2:17 PM
Get the Bimmer. Assuming you have the financial abilities to do this, if the BMW gives you problems a couple years down the road, dump it and get a TL. Maybe the TL will at that time then have a V8.

04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I think if you're going to choose between the G37 and a base TL, you should go with the G37. Now I don't know what options you're looking for on your car, but the base G37 is still less than the base TL and you get the 328 hp engine, which is 48 hp more than the TL.

and a total WTF posting -

04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Towing with TL
Anybody put on a trailer hitch on their TL, whether it be the base model or the SH-AWD?
Yes I know the owner's manual says don't tow with a TL, but has anyone done so anyway?
Thinking of getting a boat next year or two and would need to tow it. Either that or get a big enough boat for a marina

Hope the new car will pull the boat

I had 1 more question - you wrote

03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Motorcars Acura in Bedford, OH
Thought I’d share my experience buying and servicing my 2010 TL at Motorcars Acura in Bedford, OH on the Bedford Auto Mile.
I thought I the sales experience was very good overall. I told them what I wanted to pay for the car, and what I wanted for my trade. They met the selling price and came close to the trade-in price. I felt no pressure to buy.
I test drove the TL three times. The second time I brought my family (wife and son) so they could see the car. My usual salesman wasn’t there so we went with another salesman. My son rode in his car seat in the back and the salesman sat in the back too. The salesman, at my son’s request, read to him a couple Thomas the Train books while we drove around. That salesman pretty much was the deal maker there.
The only thing is that I wished they would have showed me the invoice price paperwork as the sales price was based off of dealer invoice. That’s the only complaint I had.
As for getting my car serviced, I brought it in for its first oil change and tire rotation at 7500 miles a couple weeks ago. The service experience was very good. Prompt attention when I arrived and they washed the car too. The waiting area had big couches, free coffee, water, soft drinks and popcorn, satellite TV, and business work stations with phones and internet access for your laptop.
My only complaint was that it was $84 for an oil change and rotation, which I think is high.

You ran your first service at 7500? and every car that I have owned for the last 10 years including a couple Acuras have all had the first service free.. so wtf? And my 1st service(s) were all at 5K for break-in period.

You had your Acura that whole time and posted 1 Pic of the headrest .. you get your new car and have pics up that day.. again .. WTF?

Well you have your American car now .. maybe your bully at work will be nice to you again. Then again.. what if he dosent like Dodge? This could get expensive

Last edited by JZDX; 05-17-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You traded your 2010 TL AWD for a used Charger R/T! Oh, Better get that rusty muffler fix before warranty runs out.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
JZDX; One correction, the Dodge is not an American car, The Dodge is built in Canada and owned by an Italian Company subsidized through the US taxpayers, the TL is built in Ohio by Americans who's wages pay into the US Social Security system.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
These are two distinctively different vehicles. But hopefully you got what you desired.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
bt.....you gotta get something you're happy with. And, if the Charger makes you happy, that's a good thing.

Do yourself a favor, buy 4 really good snow tires now. You might be able to swing a deal on them since they're out of season. I know where New Bedford is. And, you guys up there are subject to some wicked winters. You will need those snows.

While not exactly the same, a buddy of mine bought his wife a G35x a couple of years ago. She had spent nearly a year fussing over color, whether to get Nav, etc. Finally, they pulled the trigger. She loved it.

That is, until the Challenger came out. Then, everything about the G wasn't to her liking. The color that she spent so much time worrying about, now she didn't like it. She didn't like the steering wheel. She didn't like the seats. You can see where this is going.

They ended up trading it on one of those Challengers (an R/T). She loved it.
That is, until this winter hit. Even with snows all the way around, she said it was too scary in winter. Then, she hated the seats. You can see where this is going.

They traded the Challenger in about 3 months ago on a Taurus SHO. She loved it. Talked to them both this weekend and asked about the SHO. I'm starting to hear rumblings.....it's too big. It's too heavy. I can see where this is going. Who knows what they'll end up with next, although she said the new Mustangs are nice.

Not saying this is the case for you. It seems you're a MOPAR fan. Nothing wrong with that. With the HEMIs, they're nice. Just get some snow shoes on it so you'll be ready when they're needed.

Best of luck!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by JZDX
I looked back at your old postings .. so it looks like your issue with your Acrua started here:
I was thinking something similar...but, unlike you, I didn't have the courage to start posting about it. :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Instructor

The amazing power of peer pressure and the story of a $10'000.00 dollar headrest.

At least he fed the economy
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow, who'da thunk it? Someone bought a car that they thought they liked, and it turns out they didn't really like it after all!?!?!? Unpossible. Quick, someone hand me a rock to throw at the OP!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Wow, who'da thunk it? Someone bought a car that they thought they liked, and it turns out they didn't really like it after all!?!?!? Unpossible. Quick, someone hand me a rock to throw at the OP!
Hehehaha...?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Mhmm.. So why not just man up and admit it rather than coming up with some bullshit to fling.

Gee and I thought we were all friends here.. or at least we act like it huh.

NEXT.........
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JZDX

03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
TL = overpriced Honda according to coworker
One of my coworkers who is a sarcastic SOB made the following comment to me last week. I have the mindset that if someone's got my goat, I never let them know they got my goat, so I laughed the comment off at the time. However it did get under my skin

Then you posted

03-02-2010, 9:26 AM
Headrest issues
Anybody else strongly dislike the headrests for the TL? I have problems with neck fatigue since the headrest juts out so far forward. Take a look - they lean so far forward it's ridiculous.
I mailed Acura and will see what they say.

and the next day

03-03-2010, 7:18 PM
Acura called me today about my letter - they said there is nothing they can do for me, but that they very much do appreciate feedback from owners like me and that they'd forward my comments to design for future reference in designing the car

Must have been Air mail 1 day eh?

Then you give some advice for people -

03-31-2010, 2:17 PM
Get the Bimmer. Assuming you have the financial abilities to do this, if the BMW gives you problems a couple years down the road, dump it and get a TL. Maybe the TL will at that time then have a V8.

04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I think if you're going to choose between the G37 and a base TL, you should go with the G37. Now I don't know what options you're looking for on your car, but the base G37 is still less than the base TL and you get the 328 hp engine, which is 48 hp more than the TL.

and a total WTF posting -

04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Towing with TL
Anybody put on a trailer hitch on their TL, whether it be the base model or the SH-AWD?
Yes I know the owner's manual says don't tow with a TL, but has anyone done so anyway?
Thinking of getting a boat next year or two and would need to tow it. Either that or get a big enough boat for a marina

Hope the new car will pull the boat

I had 1 more question - you wrote

03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Motorcars Acura in Bedford, OH
Thought I’d share my experience buying and servicing my 2010 TL at Motorcars Acura in Bedford, OH on the Bedford Auto Mile.
I thought I the sales experience was very good overall. I told them what I wanted to pay for the car, and what I wanted for my trade. They met the selling price and came close to the trade-in price. I felt no pressure to buy.
I test drove the TL three times. The second time I brought my family (wife and son) so they could see the car. My usual salesman wasn’t there so we went with another salesman. My son rode in his car seat in the back and the salesman sat in the back too. The salesman, at my son’s request, read to him a couple Thomas the Train books while we drove around. That salesman pretty much was the deal maker there.
The only thing is that I wished they would have showed me the invoice price paperwork as the sales price was based off of dealer invoice. That’s the only complaint I had.
As for getting my car serviced, I brought it in for its first oil change and tire rotation at 7500 miles a couple weeks ago. The service experience was very good. Prompt attention when I arrived and they washed the car too. The waiting area had big couches, free coffee, water, soft drinks and popcorn, satellite TV, and business work stations with phones and internet access for your laptop.
My only complaint was that it was $84 for an oil change and rotation, which I think is high.

You ran your first service at 7500? and every car that I have owned for the last 10 years including a couple Acuras have all had the first service free.. so wtf? And my 1st service(s) were all at 5K for break-in period.

You had your Acura that whole time and posted 1 Pic of the headrest .. you get your new car and have pics up that day.. again .. WTF?

Well you have your American car now .. maybe your bully at work will be nice to you again. Then again.. what if he dosent like Dodge? This could get expensive

JZDX - what a great post. I am fully able to laugh at myself and appreciate a fantastic dose of sarcasm, which I needed today. Refreshing!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I was thinking something similar...but, unlike you, I didn't have the courage to start posting about it. :-)
+1
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

I can start a better flamewar than you guys.

Charger R/T R > TL SH-AWD
Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Sarcasm FTW !!!!!!

Quick Reply: Traded-in the TL SH-AWD