Trade In and Accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade In and Accident

I am going to be trading in my 04 Acura Tl with Nav for the 4G. As luck would have it I just had one payment to go and its in the shop becuase of an accident. Since no traffic report was given, not sure if it is Carfax reportable. Gonna mention to the dealership becuase they most likely can tell by looking. I am expecting Kelly Blue Book trade in value for it minus 5-10% for diminished value. The damage was expensive ($6500), but was done at the insurance companies (Geico) authoirzed location. The damage was from hiting the curb, so they had to replace the entire right suspension (cv boot, lower anchor, tire, etc. but no frame damage). It does have low miles on it - approx 48,000. Anyone with sales knowledge that can lend some advice?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
If it's done through insurance it ends up on carfax. How about paint or body work?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

Body and paint work was limited to the right fender. When it was waiting for the tow to shop, it looked as if it was ready to go, well except for the wheel that could rotate 45 degrees. The framed was not damaged and the car got a new suspension system and wheel/tire on the right side. I am not mechanically inclined, but what I recall is that the lower anchor split at the wishbone, the cv boot was removed and leaking brown grease everywhere, and they had to replace the lower engine mount. All that from hitting a curb.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
If it's done through insurance it ends up on carfax. How about paint or body work?
Not necessarily. When I had my 04TL I was rear ended. Went through insurance and had it fixed at the dealers body shop. It was all rear end damage, bumper, trunk lid, left fender. When I traded it in, the accident was not on carfax.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
10th Gear

Just tell them you lightly hit another car in a parking lot or something else that does not seem like alot of work was done.

They will be able to tell that the car was repainted, but extent is unknown. If it just happened it might not be on the Carfax just yet. There is a delay.

Check car fax. If not on there, just tell them a crazy girlfriend keyed it.

Accident should not hurt you all that much on trade value. You would be surprised by how many cars have accidents on their carfax/autochecks.....
Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by saryan
I am going to be trading in my 04 Acura Tl with Nav for the 4G. As luck would have it I just had one payment to go and its in the shop becuase of an accident. Since no traffic report was given, not sure if it is Carfax reportable. Gonna mention to the dealership becuase they most likely can tell by looking. I am expecting Kelly Blue Book trade in value for it minus 5-10% for diminished value. The damage was expensive ($6500), but was done at the insurance companies (Geico) authoirzed location. The damage was from hiting the curb, so they had to replace the entire right suspension (cv boot, lower anchor, tire, etc. but no frame damage). It does have low miles on it - approx 48,000. Anyone with sales knowledge that can lend some advice?
That sucks. How hard did you hit the curb?

A dealership will spot the work fairly easily. First give away will be one new tire. They'll also notice the new CV boot. Some paint shops can be really good. But, a knowledgeable used car manager will still spot it.

Probably won't even check into Carfax. All they have to do is peak under the car and see what's been done.

Still, if they feel they can make a profit on it, and it's nice (as you say, relatively low miles), see what they say.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
10th Gear

Accident does not change value much. I guarantee you this. If you have 2 identical cars, one being in an accident in the past and one not, you'll be able to get the same amount.

75% of customers who come in to buy a used car, and 90% of buyers at the austions do not check the Carfax.

If it is not on the carfax, and the work was done right, it will have little to no effect at all. Customers 9 times out of ten do not know what the waning signs are. Before selling cars I always had no idea how to catch a paint job.

One other thing to think about is some cars get in minor bumper to bumper accidents which the carfax displays but the bumper was simply replaced ( pre painted ) and other than that nothing else was wrong. Why would this car be worth any less.

As long as the work was done right do not accept less than fair value on your car.

If you need me to find out what your car is going for at the auction let me know....
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by couch257
Not necessarily. When I had my 04TL I was rear ended. Went through insurance and had it fixed at the dealers body shop. It was all rear end damage, bumper, trunk lid, left fender. When I traded it in, the accident was not on carfax.
I wish I could have said the same. I had a bumper done a few years back no police, no insurance, it still ended up on Carfax. Maybe it's the shop that reports to Carfax in the end. Lots of people are disappointed by Carfax, it shows clean than turns out the vehicle was in a wreck. I have a feeling it works very well come time to trade in but not when it's time for them to sell.