Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalblaze
FYI: http://www.nextautos.com/ten-cars-th...heir-makeovers

Guess who is in this list...?

Cheers,
- M

I give that list no validity from the start because the BMW 5 series, the Viper, and the Jetta DAMN sure look better than the previous models.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FYI: http://www.nextautos.com/ten-cars-th...heir-makeovers

Guess who is in this list...?

Cheers,
- M

So the whole point of this thread is the 4G is ugly, you hate it, and that makes you feel good.....am I right or am I right?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
So the whole point of this thread is the 4G is ugly, you hate it, and that makes you feel good.....am I right or am I right?
I personally think people bash the 4G so much for one of two reasons:

Reason 1:
They have had their present cars for a long while, and a lot of hype was built up regarding the redesign of the new TL. When it came out, the high disappointment was proportional to the high expectations.

Reason 2:
They make themselves feel better by bashing the new car because they probably can't afford to buy one (not a statement of income; rather, it would just be too much money lost (or maybe even income) trading up to one).

When the redesign of the G35 came about (2006-2007 model year), I was upset because of Reason 2 (although rather than bash the new car, I simply envied it).

With the TL, I think it is more the first reason; I was hoping for something much more (although I am secretly glad it wasn't much more since I still have the old body style ). Acura didn't really deliver. The 4G TL is a nice car; it just doesn't stand out from anything else in its class. Not for me anyway.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
IMO the pics I have seen of the 4g TL do not do it justice. I actually saw one in person at the dealership and it is not as bad as I thought it was. I could get used to it I guess but I love my 3g.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
I give that list no validity from the start because the BMW 5 series, the Viper, and the Jetta DAMN sure look better than the previous models.
I agree...good points on the BMW and the Viper.

Originally Posted by nyclio
Reason 2:
They make themselves feel better by bashing the new car because they probably can't afford to buy one (not a statement of income; rather, it would just be too much money lost (or maybe even income) trading up to one).

When the redesign of the G35 came about (2006-2007 model year), I was upset because of Reason 2 (although rather than bash the new car, I simply envied it).

With the TL, I think it is more the first reason; I was hoping for something much more (although I am secretly glad it wasn't much more since I still have the old body style ). Acura didn't really deliver. The 4G TL is a nice car; it just doesn't stand out from anything else in its class. Not for me anyway.
nyclio....I respectfully totally disagree with your 2nd comment. If you have purchased a NEW 3G 2007 or 2008 TL, you could have most likely purchased a 2009 TL. To be honest...I think most 3G owners were really pulling for the new TL to be a great looking car. But like your statement in the next paragraph, I too was hoping for something much more.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-23-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the most important reason why people dont like the 4g as much as the 3g is because Acura moved away from the sporty aggresive look it had with the 3g and made it more of a luxury family sedan. The 3g car looked so aggresive and nice while the new one looks more luxurious and clean. To each his own, I like the 3g much better but if all was equal, Id take the 4g just because its the"new one" 2 cents
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
10th Gear

Nyclio,

I very much agree with Reason 1; Reason 2 has much less credibility - certainly not for me. I was really looking foward to trading my 04TL on the new body style. However, unlike the clean design of the 3g, I feel the 4g is much more polarizing and over styled Though not particularly ugly, I can not fathom spending 40 grand on something for which I have mixed emotions. For goodness sakes, I think the Cadillac CTS is much more attractive. However, I just don't want to experience that great GM feeling......of poor resale and questionable long term reliability.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Reason 2 is bunk.....
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mindworm
Reason 2 is bunk.....
So are all of you saying then that if you loved the 4G TL, money would not play any factor in the equation? Maybe for some but not the majority...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Racer

...the viper looks the same to me...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wtf did infiniti do to the FX?

also is that list on crack?

The current 5 series look way better than the old body.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have test drove the new TL I am interested in getting the car but the direction they took the styling is not my thing. I am trying to look past the parts I don't like. I am not sure it was just because of built up expectations but because Acura is going after a different target audience.

I am glad that Acura makes each model very different. This makes the older one still seem like a current gen car. A clean 2G still looks great it is very different from the 3G and the 4G is different from both. Maybe the 5G will get back to Luxury-Sport.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So are all of you saying then that if you loved the 4G TL, money would not play any factor in the equation? Maybe for some but not the majority...
I think reason 1 and 2 are BS. And if I loved the new TL, money is always a factor, and yes the new price tag is a big jump, but not enough that it woudl have stopped me, may have delayed me. The styling pure and simple turned me off. I wa eagerly awaiting the 4G, I loved the 3G so much I coudl not wait to see how they woudl top it! Well I can wait now... maybe for a 5G.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I think reason 1 and 2 are BS. And if I loved the new TL, money is always a factor, and yes the new price tag is a big jump, but not enough that it woudl have stopped me, may have delayed me. The styling pure and simple turned me off. I wa eagerly awaiting the 4G, I loved the 3G so much I coudl not wait to see how they woudl top it! Well I can wait now... maybe for a 5G.
Holy Acura Batman, KeithL, you definitely have alot of Acura Experience.

Why did you have so many?

I'm on the same boat as you, I was sorely disappointed at the 09 TL. The design Department has really let everyone down especially when they worked hard to put a lot of new great features on the TL line.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Instructor

I think reason 1 and 2 have some validity. Reason 1 however, is a self-inflicted wound if you ask me. Acura didn't give a hint as what was to come so WE all built up expectations and we weren't the designers. I believe had Acura made a close clone of the 3G we ALL would be even more upset. The truth is if they had I was ready and prepared to pull the trigger on an RL.
I like the fact that the ride has significantly improved. Some say they feel disconnected from the road but if I wanted a Bimmer I wold have bought one. I also like the reduction of outside noise in the cabin.

One unexpected plus with the 4G is that its now my music test facility. As soon as I buy music online I go to the car and listen to it to verify the quality. Even with MP3s you can identify each instrument and determine the quality of the recording.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Blanka

not for nothing...some people will like the 4g TL & some will not.

As for the list, there are a lot of valid points about the prev. model years & the redesign comparisons.

1- Acura TL (I own the 3g & am partial to it) But I like the 4g
2- BMW 5 Series Again, partial to the old body styles classic lines, the new bodystyle is nice tho!
3- Chrysler Sebring Convertible either way is fugly
4- Viper the new looks almost identical (is that what they call a redesign?
5- FX I liked the first bodystyle & as usual, the new bodystyle is growing on me (the fungi effect most new redesigns go into this category)
6- Lincoln Navigator old looked too much like a damn Explorer...the new is a tad bit more luxurious...like a QX56
7- Nissan Murano See above (FX...)
8- Saab 9-5 the new is def not as nice as the old...
9- Scion xB on both counts...
10- VDub Jetta again prefer the old bodystyle, but the new is not bad either
Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
The new TL does have many new features and I'm sure is a much improved car in many areas, no argument there, it's still a great car I'm sure.
It's just ugly, pure and simple.
I went to the dealer yesterday to look at it again and I don't know how anyone can look at the front of this car and not say fugly.
Great car maybe, but the look of this car is horrifying, sorry.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Holy Acura Batman, KeithL, you definitely have alot of Acura Experience.

Why did you have so many?

I'm on the same boat as you, I was sorely disappointed at the 09 TL. The design Department has really let everyone down especially when they worked hard to put a lot of new great features on the TL line.
Do a search I have posted a few time the long story, short story is when gas went up after Katring I tried a Hybrid for 5 months an dcame back to Acura, then twice in the last 18 months I had itch for G35, sold my TL then first Type-S, and in end after hours of test driving G35 kept getting pulled back to my TL ride. Now I'll either wind up having this 3G for way longer than I usually hold a car or will bite the bullit and get a G37 Sedan.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I personally AGREE with everything on that list...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I wouldn't term it has hatredness, but certainly a disappointment. I am in the market for a new vehicle (only sedans), and to me, 4G TL is not quite enticing....at least the exterior. Granted, I will spend more time inside the car, still I gotta care about how it looks outside!

That being said, I am looking for a killer deal on an '08 TL and/or wait for the g37 sedan to come up.

But hey..we all are different..and have different likings. I know you bought your 4G TL because you liked it..and thats what matters..not what I feel or for that matter others...so congratulations, and have fun driving it around!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:40 PM
It's no limit Baby

Old 10-25-2008, 12:54 AM
So Slick, bugs dont stick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The beamer sure as hell looks better, chrystler is just ugly period, The old viper looks outdated, infiniti: agreed lol, navigator eh sucky either way.... Cars are just getting this bold future look thing goin, car companies are runnin out of ideas. Atleast some of this shit appeals to the public.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT

Wow, am I the only one here that thinks the classic lines on the older 5 series knocks the hell out of the new one? It is just something about the look of that older 5 series that gets me every time I see one. Sometimes, less is more......
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by RC51Ryder
Wow, am I the only one here that thinks the classic lines on the older 5 series knocks the hell out of the new one? It is just something about the look of that older 5 series that gets me every time I see one. Sometimes, less is more......
RC...you're not alone. I totally agree with you.

I wouldn't term it has hatredness, but certainly a disappointment. I am in the market for a new vehicle (only sedans), and to me, 4G TL is not quite enticing....at least the exterior. Granted, I will spend more time inside the car, still I gotta care about how it looks outside!

That being said, I am looking for a killer deal on an '08 TL and/or wait for the g37 sedan to come up.
Metalblaze, I think you summed it up very well. Just the fact that you are in the market for a 3G TL says alot too. Now we just need to find you a new non-Audi Avatar!!!....just giving you a hard time buddy!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Wild Child

Reason 1:
They have had their present cars for a long while, and a lot of hype was built up regarding the redesign of the new TL. When it came out, the high disappointment was proportional to the high expectations.

Reason 2:

Well, when something is new, People always bash or basically have their opinion about it. Ive said before that this car basically fixed a bunch of stuff that people were complaining about before. Think about it, people complained and complained about th 3G not having this and not having that. The 4G has it ALL (interior-wise). I just dont like that fact that they took out the lights in the doors. I didnt really realize that until a couple weeks after I bought the car. But lets list the stuff that the 4G has that the 3G doesnt. (mind you, I had an 04'WDP 5AT)

4G
HDD based navigation
13GB of music storage
LED courtesy lights
LED footwell lights
Better Sound System
Built-in Ipod interface/USB interface
Smoother RIDE
MORE POWER THAN THE TYPE S
Keyless Access including start.
Back Up Camera
More Trunk Space

I mean, just to name a few. The 3G cant hold a match to it in that arena. Now as far as the outside, I personally like the side view and back more than the front, but it is what it is. People still buy hummers even though they look retarded so just my
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, the 4G (base/Tech) has slightly less hp than the Type-S (280 vs. 286), but still feels plenty strong. I doubt the AWD version, with it's 300+ hp, will be any faster than the previous Type-S due to the increased size and weight. It's obvious the new models will have more features than the previous generation......they always do...otherwise, why build it?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree. An argument COULD be made for the TL but these particular vehicles are way, way off base.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
Well, when something is new, People always bash or basically have their opinion about it. Ive said before that this car basically fixed a bunch of stuff that people were complaining about before. Think about it, people complained and complained about th 3G not having this and not having that. The 4G has it ALL (interior-wise). I just dont like that fact that they took out the lights in the doors. I didnt really realize that until a couple weeks after I bought the car. But lets list the stuff that the 4G has that the 3G doesnt. (mind you, I had an 04'WDP 5AT)

4G
HDD based navigation
13GB of music storage
LED courtesy lights
LED footwell lights
Better Sound System
Smoother RIDE
Back Up Camera
More Trunk Space

I mean, just to name a few. The 3G cant hold a match to it in that arena. Now as far as the outside, I personally like the side view and back more than the front, but it is what it is. People still buy hummers even though they look retarded so just my
Clarification - My 07 Type S as compared to 4G

HDD based navigation
- who cares? Dvd boots up fine .. can upgrade without dealer

13GB of music storage
- who cares? 6 mp3 disc holds more than enough for me - 160GB ipod for anything else

LED courtesy lights
- Type S has it

LED footwell lights
- Type S has it

Better Sound System
- Not sure how much better it can be

- USB would be nice .. but the stereo jack works just fine

Smoother RIDE - OK
- this would be great .. Type S is HARSH

- 286 Type S vs 280? not sure how your math works - SH-AWD will suck up any extra power of the larger engine

- Yes, would be cool .. far better than the stupid folding key - but still a toy

Back Up Camera
- Type S has it

More Trunk Space
- Pretty rare that I need the additional space .. bigger car would be a waste for me - so I won't call this a pro or con

So Smoother ride would be welcome - the USB connection would be cool (but I live with the audio jack just fine) - and the keyless access would be a kewl 'toy' - but NONE of this is worth the extra cash nor the fugly grille
Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
E55>>>TLS

Originally Posted by DivinDude
Clarification - My 07 Type S as compared to 4G

HDD based navigation
- who cares? Dvd boots up fine .. can upgrade without dealer

13GB of music storage
- who cares? 6 mp3 disc holds more than enough for me - 160GB ipod for anything else

LED courtesy lights
- Type S has it

LED footwell lights
- Type S has it

Better Sound System
- Not sure how much better it can be

- USB would be nice .. but the stereo jack works just fine

Smoother RIDE - OK
- this would be great .. Type S is HARSH

- 286 Type S vs 280? not sure how your math works - SH-AWD will suck up any extra power of the larger engine

- Yes, would be cool .. far better than the stupid folding key - but still a toy

Back Up Camera
- Type S has it

More Trunk Space
- Pretty rare that I need the additional space .. bigger car would be a waste for me - so I won't call this a pro or con

So Smoother ride would be welcome - the USB connection would be cool (but I live with the audio jack just fine) - and the keyless access would be a kewl 'toy' - but NONE of this is worth the extra cash nor the fugly grille
Couldn't have said it better myself . On the bright side, my Type-S would eat the new TL be it the FWD or SH-AWD.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Fresher the Better

Reason 1:

Reason 2:
Nah, we bash it because it's just so over-the-top ugly, it deserves continous bashing until Acura redesigns it. FWIW, I was looking forward to the redesign because it's time to upgrade from my '99TL. I was never a fan of the 3rd gen, so I was hoping the 4th gen would be something special. Was I ever disappointed. The new TSX is fine, but I cannot go from a 6 to a 4.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAwesome
Nah, we bash it because it's just so over-the-top ugly, it deserves continous bashing until Acura redesigns it. FWIW, I was looking forward to the redesign because it's time to upgrade from my '99TL. I was never a fan of the 3rd gen, so I was hoping the 4th gen would be something special. Was I ever disappointed. The new TSX is fine, but I cannot go from a 6 to a 4.
The TSX might be getting a V6 soon.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=796361
Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Fresher the Better

LuvMy, you've made my day. A V6 TSX would be ideal for me, my kids, and my girlfriend
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I'm with ya as well on this 1 the previous 5 series looked great (especially the 01-03's) and especially the ones with those deep rims! A few others are questionable but 3 are for sure uglier!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Racer

umm I don't agree with any of those. I think the person that wrote that article is a NO changer... I mean come on.. Things change and evolve, and of course in the beginning they seem strange, but after you see them like 1000 times they grow on you and the old one looks OLD... and the new one looks NEW.. just my 2cents. I looked at the slide show and liked all the new ones better..
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Racer

I have a few more:

Someone should add the Mitsubishi Eclipse to this list. The old 03 version was the best model by far. This is both engine and looks wise. The newest versions of the Eclipse has definately put it down the drain.

I also think the Integra to the RSX kinda took a turn for the bad but that's just me.

The TSX, RL, and TL should have all made this list. I'm not impressed with any of the new body styles. I give them all an F for exterior.

To be honest the only new cars I'm really impressed with exterior wise is the new Audi's and the new BMW's. They've all made changes for the better. Even the Honda's are beginning to grow on me.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
10th Gear

I think they have fixed the Fugly problem for all the haters. You can paint the big shiny grill piece the same as the car and it looks awesome.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I agree and also feel the same about the 3 series.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
wtf did infiniti do to the FX?

also is that list on crack?

The old 5 is one of the best production sport sedans ever built, the current is nice, but no where near the original "angel eye" beast- and tell the RL to speak up-

Quick Reply: Top 10 bad auto makeovers