Took some pics of the 2012's today

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Tech 18
But, I've gotten use to my "beak"... and loosing the quad exhaust is just another way to save on cost ...
+1. Absolutely. I was at the "Garage" last Saturday having an expresso with the old guys (all older than me) and I had my wifes 2010 TL and the first thing out of their mouths was: "look at that exhaust, holycrap that looks so aggressive"
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I don't think the leds belong there.. they'd be copy-catting again. I thought we all like that Acura/Honda dosen't copy other mfgs.

I think there is some room to improve the looks and it may have to happen in my garage, if I get one, that is. Wheels and quad tips will be first.. then possibly audio depending on how they sound.

I haven't even been close enough to a 4G do touch one.. but that will change in 2 weeks!
I agree with you to an extent on the copy cat stuff but it seems to me that a lot of companies are doing it after Audi introduced it and it also seems to be a lot of mod'rs trying to do the same on the the current 4G... I believe BuckVegas? but I know I have seen it on here as a forum topic with taped on LED... Just my 2 cents... I think it looks cool on a car coming at ya and adds a little "cheap" style...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
6 speed auto + blacked out headlights is nice but if you really wanted blacked out headlights you could get em done(like a bunch of 4G'rs have already). But, no matter how many times I look at the picture, I can't help but to think "TSX?" at first. I see what they did with the rear bumper n front bumper, imo the 09-11 with underbody kit fixes a lot(look wise). idk how the kit is gonna look for the MMC 4G since they've changed the bumper lines
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
id still like the 09-11 versions.. just my 2cent tho.

2012 seems to conservative for a SHAWD..

it seems to tell other drivers that i am 50 years old instead of a 25 year old...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do anyone know the colorways for the 2012 TL exterior and interior? Same as 2011?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by seaneroz
Do anyone know the colorways for the 2012 TL exterior and interior? Same as 2011?
Link to the color chart
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered Malcontent

I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I may be in the minority,
but I'm very glad that I have the '11.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
hey are you going to write a review?

what do you mean by quieter?
less wind noise?
less road noise?
better bump (noise) absorbtion?

the only real noise problem with the TL is it's bump absorbtion. It may absorb bumps well, but you hear and feel the bumps too much IMO.

thanks!
All around, but mostly road. Bump absorption was very quiet, wind noise was hardly noticeable. Most noticeable was the road noise, it was less than the 11 i drove
When i have time, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

Oh and the 6 speed auto should have been brought out years ago! It was much much nicer to drive with that.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Camera phones have come a LONG way since you got the phone you were using to take these..lol. My EVO 4G has 8mp 720p camera. Almost can't tell it wasnt from a digital camera. Again thank you. VTEC.net would like these pix i bet. If you email me the original pix, I can clean/ehance them and post them and also email copies back to you if you like. parasurfer1979@gmail.com[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that because this was taken with an HTC Evo haha. Amazing camera for a phone. I don't remember seeing any side by side comparision pics on here so I figured it would be a good contribution.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ruby
Funny you say that because this was taken with an HTC Evo haha. Amazing camera for a phone. I don't remember seeing any side by side comparision pics on here so I figured it would be a good contribution.
Thanks for sharing. Definately has my ready to get one a '12.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Bro
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Going to take a 2012 TL for a spin in about 25-35 minutes....
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by muggs
I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I may be in the minority,
but I'm very glad that I have the '11.
Let the church say, Amen.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
eh. i dont even like how they blacked out the headlights... they should have left the rigid ruffles around the reflector chrome.

new rear bumper is... ok... nothing great. i like my plate where it is..

when comparing a stock 09-11 vs 2012 bumper, the rounder new one looks good.. but i like my rear aspec kit, and think it beats both styles

from the looks of it, bumpers should be a direct swap
Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
guys check this out, at 2:54 in the video you hear the deep sound from the mufler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3D_LSAphtM
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
I see some things about the 11 that look sharper and more aggressive than the 12 and a few things that are okay touches on the 12 that went too conservative for my taste. If they would of kept the grille design and down sized it perhaps, now it is just so passive looking.
It is missing that angry look. I'm sure it will sell better, but I don't care for the new soap bar look.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
eh. i dont even like how they blacked out the headlights... they should have left the rigid ruffles around the reflector chrome.

new rear bumper is... ok... nothing great. i like my plate where it is..

when comparing a stock 09-11 vs 2012 bumper, the rounder new one looks good.. but i like my rear aspec kit, and think it beats both styles

from the looks of it, bumpers should be a direct swap
Headlights...First they are black, then they are silver, now everyone is doing them in black again. reminds me of stereo equipment.

Remember these:

Then these:

Now it's these:

Next ten years?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I for one am most glad to see the chrome strip gone from the door handles, now if they could only color the button for the smartkey
Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Decided to wait until a SH-AWD arrives to take a test drive. Went to the check the car out with a friend from work who is about to move out of a 05 TL to either a 2011 or 2012 after the 2011 RL didn't move him as he'd hoped...he was leaning towards a the 2011 after seeing them side by side and will wait to test drive, he's set on an CBP SH-AWD with black interior, same color as his current TL.

We did notice that the MPG on the sticker is 2 MPG higher City, 3 MPG higher HWY greater even than the TSX behind the TL row. Even with that he found the 2011 more appealing in person than the 2012. Me, it didn't look too bad, still prefer the 09 style, more aggressive. A family of 5 noticed it and agreed with us, so did a 08 TL Type-S driver who drove over when they saw it while picking their ride up.

-Photos take with an Droid X

Last edited by compewterbleu; 03-15-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added text
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
US Navy Seabees

I love the interior......
Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Ruby
I love the interior......
Oh Ruby stoppit, ya gonna make it blush! LOL It was pretty cool, the light beige isn't my thing. But not bad,comfy.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Compewterbleu those are some great pictures you took of the TL.
The one with cars side by side really shows how the new design just gets lost in the crowd for sure.
I really do not like the new front grill, it is just to vanilla for me. And that a great shot of the rear end. The only thing I like are the smaller reflectors, but do not like the liscense plate location and don't like the cutouts for the exhaust. They did away with the angles where the exhaust exits and of course the lack of the quad tips sucks.
As for the interior, at least with the one in the pictured car has too many colors going on. Don't like the beige interior to begin with but not liking the black accent and then the dark wood trim on the console (only) and what happened to the silver trim across the dash? That looks dark as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
All around, but mostly road. Bump absorption was very quiet, wind noise was hardly noticeable. Most noticeable was the road noise, it was less than the 11 i drove
When i have time, maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

Oh and the 6 speed auto should have been brought out years ago! It was much much nicer to drive with that.

which did you drive the FWD or the SH-AWD?

what was the engine speed a highway speed ?- if you were able to drive it on the highway
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Lots of new pics surfacing of the new 2012's!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

We'll be getting more after Friday when the car goes on 'official' sale.

What's odd is the the saleman from the dealer in my area claims that they won't have any until April.. in fact, he deosn't even respond to my inquiries any more.. gotta love internet sales deptartments
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
We'll be getting more after Friday when the car goes on 'official' sale.

What's odd is the the saleman from the dealer in my area claims that they won't have any until April.. in fact, he deosn't even respond to my inquiries any more.. gotta love internet sales deptartments
My friend and I got calls about the 2012 hitting the lot yesterday before they unloaded it off the truck.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Compewterbleu those are some great pictures you took of the TL.
The one with cars side by side really shows how the new design just gets lost in the crowd for sure.
I really do not like the new front grill, it is just to vanilla for me. And that a great shot of the rear end. The only thing I like are the smaller reflectors, but do not like the liscense plate location and don't like the cutouts for the exhaust. They did away with the angles where the exhaust exits and of course the lack of the quad tips sucks.
As for the interior, at least with the one in the pictured car has too many colors going on. Don't like the beige interior to begin with but not liking the black accent and then the dark wood trim on the console (only) and what happened to the silver trim across the dash? That looks dark as well.
We had a finance manager, lead sales manager, salesman, and service rep checking it out with us. It was unanimous, it lost the aggressive edge. They are hoping that even though most of the pictures don't show quad-tips, a different brake vent treatment, and a few other SH-AWD/Tech pkg features that when they arrive they'll have them. The quad-tips are Acura's signature, they say, to differentiate between the models. The silver trim is gone, it's really dark like in the picture.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by crxb
which did you drive the FWD or the SH-AWD?

what was the engine speed a highway speed ?- if you were able to drive it on the highway
I drove both FWD and SH-AWD

if i remember right at 80 it was right around 2k
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I drove both FWD and SH-AWD

if i remember right at 80 it was right around 2k
Can you give a more in-depth description of how the cars differed? How were the road noise levels in both of the cars? I look forward to doing this comparison myself in a few weeks.

While previous to the 2012 I would only have considered the AWD model, I could actually see myself doing the FWD model now. I took a peek at the 2012's on my drive to work today, and the interiors of the two cars are now very difficult to distinguish (the FWD models now have the black carpets, which is great... makes them look sportier and less dirty in the winter. I just wish I could get the umber interior in the FWD model, but taupe would do. The new 17" rims are OK but I'd put a set of 18's on, but without the advance package.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbr
Can you give a more in-depth description of how the cars differed? How were the road noise levels in both of the cars? I look forward to doing this comparison myself in a few weeks.

While previous to the 2012 I would only have considered the AWD model, I could actually see myself doing the FWD model now. I took a peek at the 2012's on my drive to work today, and the interiors of the two cars are now very difficult to distinguish (the FWD models now have the black carpets, which is great... makes them look sportier and less dirty in the winter. I just wish I could get the umber interior in the FWD model, but taupe would do. The new 17" rims are OK but I'd put a set of 18's on, but without the advance package.
I am in the same situation I like the FWD plus the fuel savings you get I have a feeling its better than I4 tsx.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

As for how they differed what are you looking for? Exterior wise? They had fully loaded SHAWD and FWD TL. It was easy to see the difference in looks (as the sh models had the 19s with the new and only allseason goodyears they offer on it), the SH-AWD cars were MUCH more fun to drive. (especially on the auto-x course you could really tell the SH-AWD handling over the FWD (didnt get to autox the FWD version but had a good drive in it to test the handling) I wish i could have gotten to drive them in snow or rain to really see how the SH-AWD performed. As for sound levels, road noise was the same in both. It was quieter than the 11 i drove.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Cruisin'

Not too much difference, but i still love my 2010 4G.....Definately curious when actual new facelift and body come in after 4 years
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm just the opposite on black carpet - I hate it because it shows everything just like black paint. I don't have snow and slush to deal with, but I've been there and done that and you won't get any sympathy from me.

If all TL's now have black carpet it goes into the points against a new TL for me. Too many points and I go elsewhere. Right now the 2012 still has very few points against it though.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
I saw them today at my dealer, I wish they would have left the silver parts in the headlights silver, Instead of completely blackhoused.

Anyways I am not sure how I feel about it, The trim piece on the trunk seems too small now.

Not sure if I will be doing the front conversion. Will have to see one with a kit.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_razor
I am in the same situation I like the FWD plus the fuel savings you get I have a feeling its better than I4 tsx.
No offense to anyone but I'd never get this car without the AWD. It's what makes this car that much nicer. The road handling on dry pavement with the SH-AWD is as impressive as its performance on wet/snow. It's just another car without it IMHO.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Is that fake wood on the center piece? imo the chrome around the knobs looks out of place.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
Is that fake wood on the center piece? imo the chrome around the knobs looks out of place.
Not sure if it's fake or not, but it is only on the base non-tech model. I don't understand why acura doesn't at least offer it as an option for all other models, and integrate more wood and other trim into their cars.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM
US Navy Seabees

Originally Posted by nexson
I saw them today at my dealer, I wish they would have left the silver parts in the headlights silver, Instead of completely blackhoused.

Anyways I am not sure how I feel about it, The trim piece on the trunk seems too small now.

Not sure if I will be doing the front conversion. Will have to see one with a kit.
Instead of people blacking out their housings, your gonna have 2012 owners trying to make the housings clear
Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nexson

On the bright side the shape and size of the headlight housing look to be the same (obv to be confirmed), so '12 owners will probably be able to find '09-'11 owners to swap with if that's their preference.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gibjer
On the bright side the shape and size of the headlight housing look to be the same (obv to be confirmed), so '12 owners will probably be able to find '09-'11 owners to swap with if that's their preference.
That's what i'm expecting.

Heck i might just buy a pair of 4.5gtl headlights just because they're blacked out, switch to the midnight chrome grill, get the underbody kit, and keep this car until the 5gtl!

Quick Reply: Took some pics of the 2012's today