TL in snow? Otherwise MDX or ZDX better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
TL in snow? Otherwise MDX or ZDX better?

So I'm about to graduate (Bachelors in Nursing) and I start my new job in January. I'm lucky enough to have nailed down a job in the ER and ICU for Night shifts, which means I get every differential known to man, have no kids, and thanks to the government- minimal debt. I'm not saving for a house because I don't know what grad school I want to go to, and if I would be staying in that area for an extended period of time. Unfortunately, I am the only person with a car (and a job) out of most of my friends. Half are in med-school and the other half are interns. So I know I can't drive a 2-seater as I'd like to haul people around occasionally for fun (2 hour distance tops). Plus, they've complained enough about my Civic Coupe.

I know I want an Acura. I just love the feature/tech:price ratio compared to German cars. Curious if anyone has any TL Snow driving experience, as I live in Wisconsin where we get up to a foot of snow...

I guess my issue is that I should plan on getting the TL SH-AWD Tech...but when I look at the MSRP, it's just so close to the MDX Tech Package ($3k is negligible to me). And then when I hear that the ZDX's are going for MDX prices, those becomes even more intriguing. Especially with that increased ground clearance. The gas mileage SUCKS though, which why I'm trying to convince myself the TL is a better decision. Also that mom-mobile factor, as I am a dude...but black MDX's still look classy.

I've come to realize that my wants are drive-ability in snow (because I have to drive to work when the plows haven't even started yet), luxury, and technology.

Any thoughts on the snow issue (besides snow tires) or input on this model decision? I don't know anyone with a TL that has snow experience so I thought I'd ask you guys. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
In my opinion the TL is lighter and lower center of gravity, so it should do the best.
BUT. and this is a big BUT.
The MDX has better ground clearence. so if you are in more than 6 inches of show you want to be in the MDX.
The following users liked this post:
Deltaflaze (10-31-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
grats on the degree man! My cousin just graduated as BSN, he's going to work in mid November. He's also deciding between CRNA or NP for the future. That's a good career, however I hate the hospital environment so I went with the teeth instead :P
I don't know much about driving in snow but all my friends up north own a SUV. I think the RDX/MDX will fit you perfectly.
Deltaflaze (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Cruisin'

Hey Thanks - I'm looking into the same things. ER/ICU opens up lots of options. Hah - yeah... I wasn't as good with my teeth when I was young, figured it was kinda like some really skinny person being a chef. Doesn't work.

Yeah, I'm hoping the 2013 RDX looks good...waiting for that camo to come off...but yeah, just hate thinking I'm gonna get around 17mpg's from the MDX in the middle of the summer when it's 90 degrees out and I wanna gun it. But that ground clearance is going to be huge when I have to get into work throughout the winter months...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
In Seattle we don't get a ton of snow, but in the past two years we've had more snow than usual, I've been very impressed with the drive-ability of the TL in the snow and ice, especially since I purchased snow tires last year, I was able to drive on the notoriously bad hills full of snow and ice and I wasn't deterred at all with the SH-AWD working. That being said I'm not familiar with Wisonsin winters. If you need ground clearance, the MDX is the way to go, but both options have SH-AWD so whichever one you choose should handle admirably in the snow
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by under9hell
grats on the degree man! My cousin just graduated as BSN, he's going to work in mid November. He's also deciding between CRNA or NP for the future. That's a good career, however I hate the hospital environment so I went with the teeth instead :P
I don't know much about driving in snow but all my friends up north own a SUV. I think the RDX/MDX will fit you perfectly.
so are you a dental student? i just recently graduated from dental school; didnt know there were other dental's in here
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The SH-AWD TL is a beast in the snow. Point where you want to go and keep in the gas. It will walk it's way wherever you tell it to go, and the oversteer is very forgiving.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The RDX AWD Turbo might be a good choice. BTW, the turbo goes away in 2013. You should be able to find a clean 2009-2010 model with low mileage for a very good price ... $24-26k depending.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
You won't be disappointed with anything rocking the SH-AWD system - basically the same on the current generation MDX/ZDX/TL.

I had a prior gen MDX (02) with the AWD (pre SH-AWD) that was still very good. The ground clearance might be bonus if you're getting more than 6-8 inches of snow.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have owned and driven TL and MDX in snow and sun areas.
The TL is good in light snow but not heavy.
Low ground clearance and lightness is why its not a great snow mobile.
This car was made for sunbelt touring.
The MDX is great in snow with its clearance and weight.
Of course its heavy and more expensive.
You should pick based more on your style - SUV or Sport Sedan.
But based on where you live ... MDX is a better choice.
I would consider a ZD but again your need for clearance is clear.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
so are you a dental student? i just recently graduated from dental school; didnt know there were other dental's in here
no, not yet I graduated as a dental hygienist. Going to take DAT soon and apply early for next cycle!

again... I vote for RDX/MDX!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maddogtheta
In Seattle we don't get a ton of snow, but in the past two years we've had more snow than usual, I've been very impressed with the drive-ability of the TL in the snow and ice, especially since I purchased snow tires last year, I was able to drive on the notoriously bad hills full of snow and ice and I wasn't deterred at all with the SH-AWD working. That being said I'm not familiar with Wisonsin winters. If you need ground clearance, the MDX is the way to go, but both options have SH-AWD so whichever one you choose should handle admirably in the snow

What kind of snow tires, and how much did they run you?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in Wisconsin and did not have any issues with my SH-AWD TL last winter. However I was not that impressed either. I was told by the dealer and others that snow tires make a big difference and the dealer in Milwaukee has snow tire packages with wheels.
MGG
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Deltaflaze,
I used to live in Madison, and let me tell you: the TL works fine, But... and that's a big BUT: the roads in Dane County just suck donkey-balls.

Now I live closer to Chicago, and it's not much better there.

Anyways,
no probs with the SH-AWD, even without winter-tires and the standard M&S, even though I'll buy some winter-tires this year!

Don't forget,
it's not just because of the snow and their profile: the rubber-mixture is different as well and works waaaaay better in those icy badass Mid-West-Winters.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome - thanks all for the replies. It sounds like it's coming down to ground clearance. I guess I'm just nervous since I'll be working nights and I have to drive on county roads to get in to downtown Madison and it will be either starting at 7pm or 11pm shifts.

So many experiences of being almost stranded with my Civic coupe - then again that thing is like a hockey puck on ice. Good to hear the TL does well in the snow otherwise.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a TL and a MDX and I live in Vancouver. The TL is WAY more fun to drive, but whenever I head up to Whistler, I'm always glad to have the MDX. But, that being said, I would wait for the re-design of the MDX.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Beeper - thanks, I completely agree about re-design. Just hoping that the 2013 model will be the new one. I'd prefer not to wait another year after next winter. Maybe I'll get a used TL and play with it all summer till the 2013 MDX's come out before winter. =P
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Again,the roads in Dane County suck and you know that.
Don't worry about the clearance, it's the suspension which counts. The TL is harder than the MDX...

Go to Zimbrick and test-drive them around there.
Don't use the beltline or downtownm those are newly paved.

Go up Fish-hatchery towards Fitchburg, so you hear the "clongs" .
Deltaflaze (11-01-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
My 3G is front wheel drive and handles well in snow, but I still wish I had an SH-AWD.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
My 3G is front wheel drive and handles well in snow, but I still wish I had an SH-AWD.
I haven't had much issue in the freakish snow and ice that hit Dallas every once in a while in my 3G, either.

Also, OP, I know you said the $3k difference doesn't mean that much to you, but also compare things like gas mileage... I think the MDX is probably the best looking vehicle Acura makes, but God that's some sucky mileage. You'll keep paying for it after buying it and the difference will be more than $3k. lol.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I haven't had much issue in the freakish snow and ice that hit Dallas every once in a while in my 3G, either.

Also, OP, I know you said the $3k difference doesn't mean that much to you, but also compare things like gas mileage... I think the MDX is probably the best looking vehicle Acura makes, but God that's some sucky mileage. You'll keep paying for it after buying it and the difference will be more than $3k. lol.
not only that but the MDX is due for a full re-fresh probably for the 2013 model year. the mdx is a great car but lacks a push button start! rumor has it that the new mdx will either have direct injection or turbos for much better power and fuel mileage. i would honestly wait for the refresh
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The MDX gets poor gas mileage but it is a very good car to drive and live in. It's pretty fast with the 6 speed, but its definetely not as light or tossable as the TL.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Deltaflaze,
as someone who owns both (RDX & TL) I can say I'd much rather drive the TL. My lady was the primary driver on the RDX, until we bought the TL, now I never get to drive it. It is just a faster, better handling vehicle. It will run circles around the RDX, and I've driven the MDX, it's a truck.
The TL is the best vehicle in the current Acura line IMHO.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm excited to see how the Acura TL AWD handles a Minneapolis winter. I'm used to driving Jeeps and Subarus, and except for the Wrangler they were great in the snow. If the snow is deep, we'll be parking the TL and taking the Outback with snow tires out instead.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyny
No video but this picture was taken in the mountains on NC on my way back to St.Louis after Christmas. The AWD hanled like a charm on 19 inch wheels (all season tires). uis
Note the tread pattern is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't had the TL Advance in the snow yet as I bought it in April. I love the MDX Advance in the snow so we'll see what the TL offers.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ZCL
I haven't had the TL Advance in the snow yet as I bought it in April. I love the MDX Advance in the snow so we'll see what the TL offers.
My coworker has a recent model, think 2010, with sh-awd. Says he's getting rid of it, because he wants a better snow car.

With the recent blizzards on the east coast, I can understand the sentiment, especially when the snow is above your bumper.

When he said that to me, it was just after I purchased my G. Going from a Subaru to a G I was kind of wondering the same thing. In this regard the TL and G are equals in how they make through deep, deep snow.

Last edited by g37guy01; 11-03-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Until the snow is dragging the undercarriage, they're very similar, once the snow is dragging the undercarriage they're very similar, but the snow starts dragging the undercarriage a bit sooner on the TL.

I'm sure the MDX is nice, but if I were worried that a TL weren't enough for the conditions, I would probably skip over the MDX and find something with a little more clearance and that was compatible with some more serious rubber.

(I also personally wouldn't buy cars as heavy as either the TL or the MDX with transversely oriented automatic transaxles, so for me it would be a manual TL only)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a BSN (Temple U class of 97) as well. CONGRATS!!!

I have a 2010 6MT AWD with the 19 inch rims (from the summer wheels package) fitted with michelin pilot sport all seasons. it was HORRIBLE in the snow...

...but, after I bought winter tires from tire rack, it was perfect...so i guess it was all about the tires
Litt (11-03-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
My coworker has a recent model, think 2010, with sh-awd. Says he's getting rid of it, because he wants a better snow car.

With the recent blizzards on the east coast, I can understand the sentiment, especially when the snow is above your bumper.

When he said that to me, it was just after I purchased my G. Going from a Subaru to a G I was kind of wondering the same thing. In this regard the TL and G are equals in how they make through deep, deep snow.
If you have a car and not SUV/Truck, you're going to have shit for ground clearance in the snow. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
^^^^^ Low ground clearance is a major disadvantage for sedans in deep snow when compared to the high hanging SUV's/trucks.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
^^^ That's why the op has to decided if a sedan or something else is warranted for his situation. You can probably "make it through" any winter with any car.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
The SH-AWD TL is a beast in the snow. Point where you want to go and keep in the gas. It will walk it's way wherever you tell it to go, and the oversteer is very forgiving.
This - the car is amazing in the snow - get some winter tires if you are really concerned, but I often am out in the snow when others who have SUV's are not.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
If you need the ground clearance and interior space, the MDX is a great choice. Otherwise I don't see the TL, especially with AWD being a bad choice at all. Snow tires make or break a vehicle's performance in inclement weather.

After all, you wouldn't wear construction boots to a dance. Get all the traction you can get to start, stop and corner. In addition, snow tires stay malleable and grippy in cold weather. All seasons and especially performance tires might as well be hockey pucks.
Mr Marco (11-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ what ken said, get good snows screw the snow.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
Dentist here, periodontist to be exact.

TL SH-AWD with four snows goes through about anything. Also four snows stop much better than the all season tires.

Steve
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Deltaflaze
Curious if anyone has any TL Snow driving experience....
We had a very bad winter in Virginia last year, and my car did wonderfully.

The only thing I wonder about is that you said, "...before the plows." So I'll just mention, as another poster did, the higher ground clearance of the ZDX and MDX.

Since you are alone, you probably can consider the ZDX more seriously than most of us would. The back seat of a ZDX is hopeless except for children, it seems to me.

The driving experience of the TL will be better than that of either the MDX or ZDX. They have some of the better McPherson designs out there, but they can't keep up with an SH-AWD TL in a hurry.