Tl sh-awd VS Evo & Sti.....only in terms of handling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl sh-awd VS Evo & Sti.....only in terms of handling.

Just curious how does tl-shawd handle complared to evo and sti. I know tl is in diff. league in terms of refinement, status, and comfort, but all three of them are awd. If anyone has driven an awd tl and Sti or evo plzz leave your feedback!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Advanced

i think they are both great cars.. but u get a better deal with the tl i believe. love mine..

u have to drive both of them to make that decision to be honest with you...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I briefly test-drove an EVO MR last year before getting my TL. Of course the EVO is much faster. No contest. The dual-clutch tranny was fantastic....sure wish the TL had one. Being much lighter, the EVO was a lot easier to throw into curves and had a ton of grip. Much more nimble than the TL. The downside is that the EVO is much noiser and the ride more punishing than the TL, not to mention an interior that looks much cheaper and unrefined (no leather seats either).....but hey, we're talking about a bona-fide street-legal rally car here not a luxury sedan.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is NO comparison on handling! Evo and STI will run circles around a AWD TL on the track.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by sgmotoring
There is NO comparison on handling! Evo and STI will run circles around a AWD TL on the track.
Even thought the TL beat the 335i, S4 and G37 on the track??
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
Even thought the TL beat the 335i, S4 and G37 on the track??
Not doubting you, but can you point me to some online info about this? I want to rub it into my friends' faces.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Instructor

The Evo and the STi handle better than cars twice the price of them. I also test drove the Evo MR, and it was better than anything else I have ever driven handling wise. I haven't driven a Lambo or a Ferrari, but it definitely handles better than a Corvette and a Porsche Boxster.

Again I agree with Pete that the Evo's interior is junk. While it was incredibly fun, I really wanted something more luxurious.

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Not doubting you, but can you point me to some online info about this? I want to rub it into my friends' faces.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

http://www.autospies.com/news/2010-A...n-track-35233/

The Car and Driver review is hilarious, because they're still drunk on the BMW Kool Aid throughout the review. They rank the TL last in another review below the A4, G and 328 even after that, writing about an issue with the keyless system and how 'robotic' it feels.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

It's largely personal preference, but to me the TL isn't really a valid comparison to most other cars handling wise, because even if it handles better, a lot of people will still choose the worse handling car (see: 328xi, G, etc.) The TL's handling is not traditional by any means, and this will drive people away from it regardless of the fact that the end result is superior to the 'balanced' handling of the BMW.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

WOW!!!

This Track:

http://www.trcpg.com/admin/assets/dhc-large.gif

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01369&t=h&z=17
Old 09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Provided the TL is an SH and equipped with HPT's, it will handle with the best of them. On a 200 ft skidpad it grips as well as the Z06 and Murcielago LP640 and beats out the Porsche 911 Turbo and the Ferrari F430. That was the 6MT "prototype" but based on what the auto is capable of the 6MT production model should be the same thing. It lacks the pure agressive feel that these cars and a few others in actual competing classes have but I personally like the toned down more luxurious feel with the exotic sport car like handling capabilities still being there.

In lateral g-force acceleration testing on a 200-foot diameter dry skidpad, the TL SH-AWD® 6MT effortlessly outperformed all competitive set sedans as the 6-speed manual transmission TL generates an impressive 0.96 g in clockwise direction driving and 0.97 g in counterclockwise driving. For comparison, the TL SH-AWD® 6MT generates more lateral grip than some exotic supercars.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...&page_number=3

If the magazines would have ran some of the better acceleration times that we now see in the sub 6 sec range and mid to low 14's and nearly 100 mph trap speeds than people would not have been so critical of the new TL. With all the perception of the looks and grill most don't give it a 2nd chance. I have a feeling the 6MT will change that, being the fastest TL to date and one of the best handling cars available, especially given it's price point.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If the magazines would have ran some of the better acceleration times that we now see in the sub 6 sec range and mid to low 14's and nearly 100 mph trap speeds than people would not have been so critical of the new TL. With all the perception of the looks and grill most don't give it a 2nd chance. I have a feeling the 6MT will change that, being the fastest TL to date and one of the best handling cars available.

I don't buy the new TL auto in either model running sub 14.5 in the quarter, I want to see an actual timeslip before we go there.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i love my sh-awd.... i think it handles wonderfully

but SERIOUSLY... the EVO has active yaw control... that thing is not only 10x faster then the TL, but it handles 10x better

EVO is a bad-ass car.... but you're paying for the power/handling... everything else, is terrible... interior, exterior, 4cyl engine noise, crappy controls/gauges...
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also the highest/worst car to insure. Read it on Yahoo yesterday but can't find the link again to post.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Also the highest/worst car to insure. Read it on Yahoo yesterday but can't find the link again to post.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...insurance2.asp

The 350Z being number 9 is quite true. I traded in a 2004 350Z for the TL, and my insurance stayed exactly the same.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't buy the new TL auto in either model running sub 14.5 in the quarter, I want to see an actual timeslip before we go there.
I want to see opposing evidence that it can't before you go there. When the 15.1's and 14.8's first showed up all the naysayers jumped on it immediately, didn't stand a chance, now the times are consistantly better and you want timeslips. Just what exactly do 97-99 mph trap speeds usually run? Didn't the TLS in 5AT run that? What makes the new TL not as capable? Any reason why Acura would make it considerably slower considering the extra power, traction and shorter gearing? It is not simply AWD added to the normal TL, it is a fairly different model with much more sport and performance distinction. The RL has even been tested at 14.7 and 98 mph, the TL is over 100 lbs lighter and always tested on the 19's, so it's not capable of sub 14.5? Just what would one who doubts suggest it is really capable of then?

The Acura theme of performance has always been pretty consistant by engineering. 14.8 range has always been the mark for the 2nd gen TLS, the 3G base, but now the 4G base because it's been softened up since this is the first year two models have been introduced at release, one for sport and performance another for ride comfort and practicality. Even the RL is on that range. The last TLS and new SH are pretty much in line with each other and expect the new 6MT to resemble the last TLS 6MT but slightly better because of the much improved launching capabilities with AWD.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
My beer fridge is in

i owned a WRX before my TL sh-awd. In the skid pad, the tl out performs my wrx, in the slalom, no way. The TL is no where near as tossable as the WRX. And as far as looks goes, IMHO the new WRX/STI are ugly as sin. As far as the EVO a buddy of mine owns an 08. It is a fierce machine. But the build quality is terrible, The side skirts were loose after a week, the e-brake handle came off in 2 weeks. The car is loud and noisy as hell in the cabin, and after he had it about six months, he was getting blow by in the oil......
Old 09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced

FWIW I traded in my 04 STi for my SH-AWD TL. The STi is like driving a go kart, the TL is like driving a nice Couch.

J/K the TL Handles good, nowhere close to the STi though.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Racer

People who compare STi with the TL are the people that give kids chocolate after a denist appointment.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Scooby doobie crusin

my symmetrical awd subaru legacy gt is kick ass... when in the apex of a slighty hard turn, instead of the car wanting to break, it wants some acceleration... once you give it some gas it literally pulls the car through the turn, its amazing... especially with the way subaru useds the symmetrical awd. out of factory there is very minimal body roll.. car feels tight and solid instead of like a boat (my old 02 tl-s)
Old 09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

You got my curiosity as I had never heard of an Evo or STI. I had to go look - WELL..... I mean seriously..........? The term "boy racer" comes to mind. I realize you are just talking about handling - but ......seriously.......
Old 09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blanko
You got my curiosity as I had never heard of an Evo or STI. I had to go look - WELL..... I mean seriously..........? The term "boy racer" comes to mind. I realize you are just talking about handling - but ......seriously.......

Its true they used to be termed "boy racer", but both cars have made a niche for themselves. At 33k+ these cars are not cheap, but when it comes to performance you'll be amazed how much do these car offer
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Blanko
The term "Living under a rock" comes to mind as well
The following users liked this post:
motorsportguy333 (12-07-2012)