TL SH-AWD Seats too firm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
TL SH-AWD Seats too firm?

Now before I get the beat down I know I am getting older, and I did own a 09 SH-AWD, but I guess I don't remember the seats being so firm. I have seen some comments about the seats on a long drive so I went and test drove a 13 AWD Advance. Even with lumber fully deflated the back curve of the set seem to be very bolstered. The side bolstering was not an issue, but I felt the back and then the seat bottom seemed very firm and the seat bottom did not seem to support as much of my thigh as I remembered from my 09. And while my M37S has sport seats they only only slightly more bolstered that the the regular M37 seats and are actually extremely comfortable. So tell me what your expierience has been on long (3-4 hour or longer) drives. Oh is it just me I am getting too old
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
KeithL....I have had no issues with the TL seats in the various long term drives I have taken with my TL. I had more of an issue with a VW rabbit (2007) which was a "rain" car I had back then...those seats were really bad for me.

Now that being said, seat comfort is very subjective and not as related to your age per se but rather, by your body type and any back predisposition you may have (arthritis etc) I am about 5'11 and fairly slim so for me, the seats are not an issue (based on my body type).

Too bad you can get one for an overnight period and give it a longer test drive and get a good feel for it (like a demo)....I know they will be reluctant to put too much mileage on a brand new car but maybe you can explain to the sales guy your concerns about the seat. If you could do a 2h test drive, that should help out a lot....If you lived closer, I'd let you try mine out (provided it wouldn't rain of course *lol*)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I agree with Weather. Seat comfort is very subjective. Get a loaner overnight if you can. I would. You'd be might disappointment and angry if you buy a car and find out it's not comfortable. Happened with me when I bought my IS250 AWD.

I had a 09 IS 250 AWD that I hated, traded in for a huge loss. After 30min in those seats, it felts like my butt was sitting on a iron stone and metal pan; ridiculous for a so-called "luxury make" who markets themselves for comfort. Same thing happens after a ~1 hr drive with my wife's RX, though to a lesser extent. Not sure why.

IMHO, the 4G TL's seats are very comfy, well bostered, and fits me well, "like a glove." I'm 5'11 and 160lbs. I've taken my TL on a 2-3 hr drive and it's pretty comfy.

FWIW, my wife (5'1" and 110lbs) hates my TL's bucket seats: too bolstered for her, and she dislikes the active headrests. She prefers her RX330's seats and headrests.
The following users liked this post:
weather (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 base FWD base model and have the same issue with the seats. The backrest just doesn't have enough padding. I got a sheepskin seat insert which helps somewhat. There just seems to be a hard lump in the middle of your back. I'm 6 foot tall and have this issue. In another thread there was a conversation this. It seems if you're shorter you don't have the problem.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SteveA2012
I have a 2012 base FWD base model and have the same issue with the seats. The backrest just doesn't have enough padding. I got a sheepskin seat insert which helps somewhat. There just seems to be a hard lump in the middle of your back. I'm 6 foot tall and have this issue. In another thread there was a conversation this. It seems if you're shorter you don't have the problem.
You probably would not like the AWD seats as I believe they are firmer that the FWD seats.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Keith, I have to agree with your assessment. I think the seats are the one thing I am most disappointed about with my '12 SH-AWD Tech. I think I've pinpointed it to the seam right in the lower middle part of my back. Like you said, I feel like the lumbar is pushing too much in my lower/middle back. I end up moving the seat around almost every time I drive. And I did take the TL for an overnight test drive and to work the next day, but I must have been too in love with the rest of it to notice I also found that I have to put my wallet in my front pocket (or the door pocket) or my hips hurt from the seat-bottom bolsters. For what it's worth, I'm 6'1", 190 lbs, with a 34" waist. I don't regret buying the car, as I still think it is the best combination of everything I was looking for and nothing else came close for the price. But one of the reasons I got rid of my 1996 Celica for the TL was because I just couldn't get comfortable in the Celica anymore. That probably just means its my back that's the problem.

Oh, and I think I also figured out another strange phenomenom with the seats: I swear these seats make me fart! I try not to break wind in my nice new car, but so many times as soon as I sit down, I just feel the urge. Again, I think it's the bolstering... Ok, I've probably just ruined whatever little reputation I had on this site. Carry on!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DibbyD
Oh, and I think I also figured out another strange phenomenom with the seats: I swear these seats make me fart! I try not to break wind in my nice new car, but so many times as soon as I sit down, I just feel the urge. Again, I think it's the bolstering... Ok, I've probably just ruined whatever little reputation I had on this site. Carry on!
Well I'll be damned! I have been seeing numerous doctors trying to figure out what was making me fart in my TL too..... it was the seats all along! Maybe I should have bought an Accord, its just a TL with worst seats after all (lol)

At least you are not the only Acurazine member who has now shot his reputation amongst the group
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
^^^ weather,you are funny as in comical lol,you almost made me spill my Timmies.

With regards to the seat,i find them to be comfortable,however i can't seem to find a seating position that i am really comfortable with and find myself constantly adjusting them.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL
You probably would not like the AWD seats as I believe they are firmer that the FWD seats.
I'm thinking they're the same except the AWD has larger side bolstering
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Oh, and I think I also figured out another strange phenomenom with the seats: I swear these seats make me fart! I try not to break wind in my nice new car, but so many times as soon as I sit down, I just feel the urge. Again, I think it's the bolstering... Ok, I've probably just ruined whatever little reputation I had on this site. Carry on![/quote]

just think, there may be cars out there worse than the TL...some car owners may not be able to drive without the windows down LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You know funny you say that, I think my wife had the same problem. She tried to blame it on the car, but she's still farting!!

Seriously though. The seats in our 2010 TL SHAWD were uncomfortable compared to the Maxima's seats.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
I guess it all depends on your size, body shape, how you like your driving position, etc., but I find the TL seats fit me perfectly and are very comfortable both on longer drives and in everday commuting use. I'm 6'2" and about 175. I think most of the reviews have commented on them very favorably too.

I wonder if the issue is just getting the foam "broken in" a little?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My father just bought a new 2012 TL SH-AWD last week and is having issues with the thigh support of the seat, but he says he has this issue in most cars (mom's Honda Odyssey and his old Chevy Equinox), we're still trying to find a solution. He loves the car otherwise and I really hope this seat issue doesn't ruin it too much for him since I pushed him toward the TL.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

On a non related issue....With the sequester affecting the US on March 1st, will Acurazine be partially shutdown due to cuts? *lmao* Sorry, couldn't resist to poke fun a little...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
The driver seat on the AWD TL MUST be firm and supportive, in order to prevent the driver from shifting around when the sport sedan is being "thrown" into corners.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The driver seat on the AWD TL MUST be firm and supportive, in order to prevent the driver from shifting around when the sport sedan is being "thrown" into corners.
It has to be supportive it does not have to be so firm, the side bolsters are what really stop you from getting thrown around.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I actually find my AWD seats to be pretty comfortable. I'm 6'1" and about 190 lbs in case that matters. I'm in my car for 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening every day, and I've taken her on a couple of trips @ 3 hours in length. I've never had any issues.

Originally Posted by weather
Well I'll be damned! I have been seeing numerous doctors trying to figure out what was making me fart in my TL too..... it was the seats all along! Maybe I should have bought an Accord, its just a TL with worst seats after all (lol)

At least you are not the only Acurazine member who has now shot his reputation amongst the group
Guys, I think I've found something that will cure not only the issue of uncomfortable seats but also your 'other' issue

GasBGon Flatulence Filter Seat Cushion

***EDIT - the reviews of that product are hilarious! My personal favorite:

I was skeptical upon first buying this product, but it works great! At one point I actually crapped myself and my girlfriend at the other end of the couch had no idea. I don't even think the dog knew I did it! Without this product I would have been terribly embarassed and my girlfriend may have left me.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-28-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I have no problem with the seats in my FWD Tech. However as others have said size and body shape may have alot to do with it. I'm 5' 8", 155lbs so my relatively light weight and short size probably help.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Keith, I have to agree with your assessment. I think the seats are the one thing I am most disappointed about with my '12 SH-AWD Tech. I think I've pinpointed it to the seam right in the lower middle part of my back. Like you said, I feel like the lumbar is pushing too much in my lower/middle back. I end up moving the seat around almost every time I drive. And I did take the TL for an overnight test drive and to work the next day, but I must have been too in love with the rest of it to notice I also found that I have to put my wallet in my front pocket (or the door pocket) or my hips hurt from the seat-bottom bolsters. For what it's worth, I'm 6'1", 190 lbs, with a 34" waist. I don't regret buying the car, as I still think it is the best combination of everything I was looking for and nothing else came close for the price. But one of the reasons I got rid of my 1996 Celica for the TL was because I just couldn't get comfortable in the Celica anymore. That probably just means its my back that's the problem.

Its funny you guys mention this, because they let me take home a loaner home while they inspected my 3G. It was a fwd Advance, and I had the same issues with my lower back. That part of it was protruding too much. Very similar to my Wifes 09 Accorda V6. Its not comfortable at all. When I test drove the AWD it didnt feel as bad. Are they different from the FWD? Im 5'7 fwiw.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Lmao, oh man that was good one
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

I think your sitting posture also makes a difference. If you sit straight up, it's less of an issue. If you slouch, you can feel it...I guess I'm getting older LOL. These seats want you to sit correctly.
Making the seatback more straight up and down also makes a difference. The more it's reclined, the more pressure you're going to put on the backrest.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SteveA2012
I think your sitting posture also makes a difference. If you sit straight up, it's less of an issue. If you slouch, you can feel it...I guess I'm getting older LOL. These seats want you to sit correctly.
Making the seatback more straight up and down also makes a difference. The more it's reclined, the more pressure you're going to put on the backrest.
I sit straight up, I am 6 foot and about 200lbs. I guess if I played with the seat more I might find a good position.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I find the seats comfortable. Certainly firmer than the seats were in my '06 RL but comfortable none the less. If I have a complaint, it would be that the seat cushion is a bit shorter than I would like (not enough thigh support), but that is a small complaint.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Don't worry, they get better with age. This is a common Acura "first 500 miles" complaint. After a break in period, they fit your butt better.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i find my awd seats not firm enuf to be honest ... im 6'3'', and a slim build. i think the seats are too soft i soak in them too much, im gonna have an upholster actually repad my driver and passenger seats with more firm padding ... i guess im the opposite i like to sit on hard things ... awkward
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

I don't know about you guys, but I drive at least 2 hours everyday (city driving and stop and go traffic - i just hate the gas mileage i get) in my car and I have no problem with the seats/seating. Even my friends, skinny and fat, short and tall; all say its comfortable AND my girlfriend is able to cross her legs and face me on highway cruises.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Maybe if Honda is hearing about this enough they might build more flexibility into the seats on G5. Like movable bolsters, vertical movement on the lumbar support & an extendable thigh support.

My neighbors 4G FWD TL has comfortable seats but I always thought slightly firm seats were better for a long ride. I fit the 4G seats fine @ 6.0ft /200lbs
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I do agree with them being a little uncomfortable, especially on my back. I'm 6'3 240 and it almost feels like there's a bar that goes across the lumbar support. I'm hoping to the seats just need to break in a little. But they are definitely not as comfortable as the 3G that I just traded. Love the rest of the car though.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

One thing I was thinking about is your wallet. I keep mine in my back left pocket & if I forget to take it out on a long trip my butt & left leg start to feel it after a few hours.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
One thing I should mention is my father-in-law practically drools over how comfortable my seats are when he rides in the TL. He's a big guy (i.e. fat) and doesn't seem to be able to get comfortble in most cars.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
One thing I was thinking about is your wallet. I keep mine in my back left pocket & if I forget to take it out on a long trip my butt & left leg start to feel it after a few hours.
I stopped carrying my wallet in my back pockets years ago and I found sitting a long time was much more comfortable without the wallet in my pants.

I carry it in my jacket inside pocket or in front pocket of shorts in the summer.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I do if I have cargo pockets like with my shorts, phone is one wallet in the other, but also find it a pain in the front pockets of dungarees when sitting down which is pretty much my winter uniform.

After 50+ years in a suit I only wear a jacket when taking the wife out.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've had the opportunity to have both the 4G FWD loaners and 4G SHAWD loaner (the most recent for the last 3 days).

i personally like the seats in the SHAWD model over the base. fit like a glove. i like the seats in my 3G TL but i do like the ones in the SHAWD model over those too. i didn't really find them uncomfortable at all.

the seats in the MDX, those are a lot more cushy. for me, there is not enough lumbar support like the TLs and the bolstering is not as body hugging as they are in the TLs. seems to be fine for really long trips (3-10 hrs). the thing that gets me in the TL is not so much the seats as it is the firmer suspension on long trips.

i have a pretty lean athletic build.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From my own experience, no seats are comfortable after 3-4 hours of driving. I am okay with the seats in my '12 AWD TL. They ain't the best but already one of the better ones. My father has the Infiniti M as well, the seats are quite comfortable to his standard. He didn't like the seats in my '07 ES350. I was surprised because most of my friends thought tag was the most comfortable seats of all the cars I ever owned. My no.1 goes to my '08 BMW M3. Although they were very sports oriented designed, I had the least problem doing long drive in that car. (I had a bad back injury some years ago)
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by py0413
From my own experience, no seats are comfortable after 3-4 hours of driving. I am okay with the seats in my '12 AWD TL. They ain't the best but already one of the better ones. My father has the Infiniti M as well, the seats are quite comfortable to his standard. He didn't like the seats in my '07 ES350. I was surprised because most of my friends thought tag was the most comfortable seats of all the cars I ever owned. My no.1 goes to my '08 BMW M3. Although they were very sports oriented designed, I had the least problem doing long drive in that car. (I had a bad back injury some years ago)
Funny your father and I sound similar, I test drove the new ES350 and hated the seats, or more likely the seating positions, I could never find a seat adjustment that made me comfortable. I do love how comfortable my M37S seats are, a tad sporty (probably could use a tad more bolstering) and yet very comfortable on a long drive.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I think if you are selling upscale cars you really need to think about two things firmness & fit. Firmness is a bit harder, no pun intended, because you have to accommodate male/female & say weights of 110# up to 250#+ but you should be able to work out power tensioners for firmness adjustment. Fit is a lot easier with current seat tech including power bolsters , movable lumbar support, extending thigh support etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL vs C230 vs S2000 vs BMW 535 vs CLS 63 AMG

My rating of seats (best to worst) for cars I have owned in last 3 years

Sporty driving:
CLS 63 2008
S2000 2007
TL AWD Advance 2012
C230 2005
BMW 535xi 2008 (not sport seats)

Short drives:
CLS 63
TL
BMW 535
C230
S2000

Long drives:
CLS 63
BMW 535
C230
S2000
TL

I like the looks and quality of leather on TL AWD Advance but over long drives I get lower back pain. I also find the headrests borderline in angling too far forward. I really like the side bolsters all the time. Favorite feature of the seats. I was 5' 11" 230 lbs when I bought the car and am 170 lbs now and the comfort didn't change from when I was overweight until now. Every passenger that gets in my TL compliments the comfort of the seats and no one has complained about discomfort even on long drives.

CLS 63 (wife's current car) has perfect seats. Adjustable in all directions (except headrest angle). Outer portion of all cushions soft but eventually firm enough to hold you in place. Exquisite look and feel. Bought the car used about six months ago.

BMW 535xi seats were soft and very comfortable but not very sporty. Leather looked cheap in my opinion. I've heard BMW enthusiasts say the sport seats are best in market but I never got to try them as they are rare on the xi model.

C230 seats were very comfortable but not very adjustable. The combo leather and MBTex and didn't look very upscale.

S2000 seats were quite nice and comfortable and I'm sure I would have liked them even more if I was at my current weight rather than 215 when I owned the car. At that weight egress was a slight problem.

Last edited by KingMota; 03-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by terdonal
I stopped carrying my wallet in my back pockets years ago and I found sitting a long time was much more comfortable without the wallet in my pants.

I carry it in my jacket inside pocket or in front pocket of shorts in the summer.
Same with me...I like to put my wallet in the little opening on the door, the part you would use to pull the door to shut it.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Same with me...I like to put my wallet in the little opening on the door, the part you would use to pull the door to shut it.
^ i too have a habit of putting my wallet in that little door handle area, but the challenge is having to remember to take the wallet before leaving the car every time. i had a few close calls where i had to run back to the car to rescue my wallet.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I have had the same thing happen to me!! *lol*

Quick Reply: TL SH-AWD Seats too firm?