TL front wheel or AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL front wheel or AWD

I have a 2012 TSX SE that I love-and I get many many compliments. I'm thinking of trading it in for a TL-because I want a roomier cabin and I love the look of the TL. What can people tell me about whether to get the front wheel drive or AWD. The loss in mileage in the AWD makes me hesitant about test driving one, I don't care about rear wheel drive vs awd vs front wheel, but if someone can sell me on how the AWD drives better, feels better etc, I would consider it. Thanks,
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
AWD has larger wheels, stiffer suspension, and will likely ride "closer" to your TSX than the FWD. I test drove both and bought the FWD, because of my personal preferences. At this point in my life (late thirties) I'm more interested in a comfortable while still powerful ride and saving a little bit on gas, than I am in cornering like a beast and having that extra 25hp along with cool rims and stiffer suspension. But others have made the other decision and are quite happy with that. It's really up to what you want out of your car. The FWD definitely has a quieter, smoother ride than the AWD but it doesn't "grip the road on tight, fast corners" as well as the AWD.
The following users liked this post:
n-spring (07-26-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

If you got the money get awd its better than the base and drives better when i bought my awd i was so anxious to trade my 08 type s for a 4th gem i was willing to settle for a base but thank god i got awd most people get base models n try to convert to awd
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Scott....I had a 2009 TSX until I traded for my TL and decided to go with the AWD version. I am not sure where you reside and whether or not winter conditions are to be taken into consideration when giving you the advice of AWD or FWD. Leaving the winter conditions aside, simply on the road handling, it is very subjective.

I am in the same age category as you and far from an aggressive driver myself and I do appreciate what the AWD brings. It does provide an added level of grip to the road and a more planted feel on the road (that is my impression) but it does come with some drawback as well. As you said, its heavier which means it will be a bit more expensive to operate (not alot, but still), it will be more expensive to maintain with the differential fluids etc.

I honestly feel that you would be making a big mistake by not test driving both the AWD and the FWD to really help you make your decision. You are doing the right thing by asking people here on what to look for prior to the test drive and raise your awareness and know what to be looking for.

That being said, I would not recommend you make your decision solely on what people say is best as people will give your their personal perception.....I think both will be great vehicles and let me just say that I don't regret getting the AWD version. Once you get to push the car and realize what it can do, it can be very intoxicating

Best of luck in your decision and if you need more input, don't hesitate.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
The only way to really know is to test drive one.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i was in your shoes before i got my AWD TL. At first, i was going to get FWD to save gas and wheels and extra horse power didn't matter to me.

But i still went with AWD just because i go snowboarding a lot during winter season so i don't have to worry about snowing or getting chain. I needed AWD for my snowboarding and that was the only reason i went with AWD.

Why am i writing all this to you? It is because Like other ppl saying in above, the final decision is yours. You are the one who will drive for next x years. Make a list why you need AWD and if those lists are strong, go with AWD. if not, FWD. For me, going snowboarding is all i need to have in my list to get AWD.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by sojue; 07-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

thanks to all-I'm mid 40's live in KC MO-some winters are no big deals and others are a big deal. Sporty feel is not a big deal to me, think that's part of my issue with the TSX, although it's a great car and I love it. I'm going to have to test drive both types of TL this weekend. oh, what can one tell me about the difference in the silver colors(forged silver vs silver moon) and which leather color interior is the one that kind of looks silver? Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
From what I recall, the forged Silver is the one that looks more bluish.....
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I've had both; my 2012 SH AWD/Tech, is the best car I've owned
Seats are more comfy; more power; & the safety factor, in rain or snow, makes it a no-brainer, if you can afford it
Rough ride over NYC roads, but on the interstate, it's QUIET, smooth, & awesome!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
Seats are more comfy
When I went to check out the TL last weekend I sat in a FWD in the showroom then went out and test drove an SH-AWD. The first thing I noticed was how much more comfortable the SH-AWD seats were to me than the FWD. Not that the FWD seats were uncomfortable but the SH-AWD just seemed to fit me like a glove.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced

I tried both and did enjoy the AWD a little more. However, I still went with the FWD mainly because it was going to be our main family car and space was a big issue for me. Every inch counts and the FWD offers more boot space and slightly more room in the rear. Coming from a spacious Maxima, space was high on the priority. Secondly, the mileage played a big factor as well. we plan to keep this car for 6-7 yeras at a minimum and the mileage does add up.

Besides, I do have a M3 as a weekend car.

So it is entirely a personal decision.

On another note, I was not aware that the AWD has different seats. When did that happen?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm918
I tried both and did enjoy the AWD a little more. However, I still went with the FWD mainly because it was going to be our main family car and space was a big issue for me. Every inch counts and the FWD offers more boot space and slightly more room in the rear. Coming from a spacious Maxima, space was high on the priority. Secondly, the mileage played a big factor as well. we plan to keep this car for 6-7 yeras at a minimum and the mileage does add up.

Besides, I do have a M3 as a weekend car.

So it is entirely a personal decision.

On another note, I was not aware that the AWD has different seats. When did that happen?
Different seats have been in place the entire generation (i.e., from 2009).
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
FWD + Tech is the money shot...

Comfort > Being able to push limits you'd never push anyways...

The suspension on the AWD blows...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greatfolded
Different seats have been in place the entire generation (i.e., from 2009).
Seat material is based off of tech vs no tech... Tech gets perforated milano inserts vs basic on non tech..

AWD has more upper bolstering... Preference thing i guess.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Booya4139
Seat material is based off of tech vs no tech... Tech gets perforated milano inserts vs basic on non tech..

AWD has more upper bolstering... Preference thing i guess.
Yaep, aware of the tch vs non-tech but as far as the seat bolstering goes, there is no mention of it on the Acura website when comparing the FWD to the AWD. The seats are shown as identical.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Yaep, aware of the tch vs non-tech but as far as the seat bolstering goes, there is no mention of it on the Acura website when comparing the FWD to the AWD. The seats are shown as identical.
If you look under Features -> Interior the last bullet point on the right states:
TL SH-AWD has high-performance seats with more aggressive side-bolstering.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
FWD + Tech is the money shot...

Comfort > Being able to push limits you'd never push anyways...

The suspension on the AWD blows...
Normally I'd ignore a comment like this, but honestly, think it thru a bit more before you make that kind of statement

The suspension on the AWD is stiff, but it does not blow. It does its job quite well, and adds to the sport appeal of the AWD system.

As for pushing limits, AWD has a lot more going for it then just taking curves fast. If you experience driving in all 4 seasons, AWD is an advantage most would never give up
The following 2 users liked this post by 012TL-GLM:
RPhilMan1 (07-25-2012), Treblig (07-26-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Normally I'd ignore a comment like this, but honestly, think it thru a bit more before you make that kind of statement

The suspension on the AWD is stiff, but it does not blow. It does its job quite well, and adds to the sport appeal of the AWD system.

As for pushing limits, AWD has a lot more going for it then just taking curves fast. If you experience driving in all 4 seasons, AWD is an advantage most would never give up
I think through things just fine. I was unhappy with the suspension of the AWD, I was also very unhappy with the suspension of the G37.

The springs are stiff, the damping is poor. If you drive in areas with pristine roads you will likely have a different opinion.

I could likewise say you could drive the FWD in inclement weather and see that it is perfectly capable to handle rain, snow, or anything else you could throw at it without issue. Tires are the most important attribute for inclement driving IMO... My last car was FWD with an LSD, and on a set of Blizzak ws-60's it was very impressive in the snow.

The marginal benefit in performance wasn't worth the degredation in ride quality to me... You feel ride quality every trip you take, every bump. I don't drive around pushing the limits of cruising sedans.

I am a car enthusiast, an was fully expecting to be drawn to the high performance versions of these cars, but I wasn't.

I can accept that the attibutes I value are likely different than others. Thats fine, thats why they make lots of different types of cars...

I wish they put the 3.7l in the FWD, or put the base shocks in the AWD and beef up the sways to improve the handling while maintaining comfortable damping... The suspension on the AWD is a mismatch for the car IMO.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced

I think through things just fine. I was unhappy with the suspension of the AWD, I was also very unhappy with the suspension of the G37.

The springs are stiff, the damping is poor. If you drive in areas with pristine roads you will likely have a different opinion.

I could likewise say you could drive the FWD in inclement weather and see that it is perfectly capable to handle rain, snow, or anything else you could throw at it without issue. Tires are the most important attribute for inclement driving IMO... My last car was FWD with an LSD, and on a set of Blizzak ws-60's it was very impressive in the snow.

The marginal benefit in performance wasn't worth the degredation in ride quality to me... You feel ride quality every trip you take, every bump. I don't drive around pushing the limits of cruising sedans.

I am a car enthusiast, an was fully expecting to be drawn to the high performance versions of these cars, but I wasn't.

I can accept that the attibutes I value are likely different than others. Thats fine, thats why they make lots of different types of cars...

I wish they put the 3.7l in the FWD, or put the base shocks in the AWD and beef up the sways to improve the handling while maintaining comfortable damping... The suspension on the AWD is a mismatch for the car IMO.
I agree with most of what you have stated. To each his own. I prefer ride quality since this would be my daily driver for the next 5-7 years. Also, I did not see a substantial gain in terms of acceleration or overall feel on the AWD. Like you just stated, I am not tracking it and on the street I am not gonna be taking corners at 70 mph. Most of us will not push it to it's limits while staying within the confines of the law.

Don't get me wrong. I would've totally jumped on the AWD if I felt that it was a really big jump in terms of performance. For example I would take the BMW 335i ANY DAY over the crappy BMW 328i. There is no comparison between the two and the extra money is totally well spent. I didn't feel the same ways about the AWD. Instead, I put that money towards getting a Tech in the FWD

On a side note, the 3.7 would be totally the wrong choice for the fwd. Imagine the crazy amount of Torque Steer. Wuld be better suited for a RWD or a AWD.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

On a side note, the 3.7 would be totally the wrong choice for the fwd. Imagine the crazy amount of Torque Steer. Wuld be better suited for a RWD or a AWD.
FWD TQ steer is a bit of a myth... it exists, but generally in very limited scenarios. Wide open throttle from a dig, sure, but you can get that with a relatively low power engine.

Car has 280 now, I don't see the world changing with a few extra horses... They said the same thing about the Civic Si's and people were laying down 300-400 wheel HP no problem with forced induction kits that were still very daily drivable... And thats on a car that weight 2800lbs.

The TL weighs an extra G on top of that. the 305 HP engine on a FWD platform would be roughly 275 wheel HP...

Yes you'll have some traction issues from a dig if you floor it, but in pretty much every other condition you can lay it down more efficiently than AWD and RWD given the fact the parasitic drivetrain loss is lower in a FWD.

I just don't think it'd be a big deal.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't get me wrong. I would've totally jumped on the AWD if I felt that it was a really big jump in terms of performance. For example I would take the BMW 335i ANY DAY over the crappy BMW 328i. There is no comparison between the two and the extra money is totally well spent. I didn't feel the same ways about the AWD. Instead, I put that money towards getting a Tech in the FWD
Agree on this. however I wouldn't want to deal with owning a 335 with the high pressure fuel pump failures and servicing/maintaining that twin turbo system. I have a buddy who leases one, which is the smart move with BMW... resale blows, maintenance blows. Pay the toll and don't bother dealing with the associated headaches.

The base engine in the 328 is really weak.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Agree on this. however I wouldn't want to deal with owning a 335 with the high pressure fuel pump failures and servicing/maintaining that twin turbo system. I have a buddy who leases one, which is the smart move with BMW... resale blows, maintenance blows. Pay the toll and don't bother dealing with the associated headaches.

The base engine in the 328 is really weak.
Again the fuel pump is a myth. It was a issue initially but they fixed the problem. Agree on the resale but the 335 kicks ass.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Again the fuel pump is a myth. It was a issue initially but they fixed the problem. Agree on the resale but the 335 kicks ass.
Its certainly not a myth. My friend who leases one was left dead on the highway and had to have it replaced. Not saying it isn't a kickass ride, love the looks and performance just wouldn't want to have to maintain it
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Ive had an 06TSX, 06RL and now 09 TL. If bad weather is a consideration for you, then AWD is the way to go. If that is not an issue for you, then FWD can work just fine. When I had the RL(awsome car by the way), unless I took it to the limits in a curve, I really did not see the need for the AWD per say. Since I had have a modified Miata, the AWD was not going to do much for me. The Tl is just plain heavy. The AWD TL can't do what my miata does. So I went for the comfort, better gas mileage and less trouble and maintenance. AS been said, try both, thats the best way, but if the FWD delivers as it does for me, save some bucks.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Snow tires are a option as well if you go FWD.....
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in San Diego, CA. We only have..........one season.

I opted for FWD due to the comfort and long delays in traffic during my commute.

It depends on your needs and wants really.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by n19htmare
I'm in San Diego, CA. We only have..........one season.

I opted for FWD due to the comfort and long delays in traffic during my commute.

It depends on your needs and wants really.
Ha ha in L.A. we have two: warmer and cooler.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Its certainly not a myth. My friend who leases one was left dead on the highway and had to have it replaced. Not saying it isn't a kickass ride, love the looks and performance just wouldn't want to have to maintain it
I'm lost here-fuel pump problem is with which one BMW or Acura?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottstsxse
I'm lost here-fuel pump problem is with which one BMW or Acura?
The BMW 335
Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the FWD....cheaper and for me the AWD really isn't necessary. Still has power though, throw it into S and have fun on the highway
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by scottstsxse
thanks to all-I'm mid 40's live in KC MO-some winters are no big deals and others are a big deal. Sporty feel is not a big deal to me, think that's part of my issue with the TSX, although it's a great car and I love it. I'm going to have to test drive both types of TL this weekend. oh, what can one tell me about the difference in the silver colors(forged silver vs silver moon) and which leather color interior is the one that kind of looks silver? Thanks

Scott, since you're from Kansas City, I recommend going to Jay Wolfe Acura and ask for Jim Mattson. Tell him I sent you and text drive a SH-AWD.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
If your going to be in alot of snow, rain, or taking it around hard corners - get the shawd, it really is amazing. If not then the fwd will work fine.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Scott, since you're from Kansas City, I recommend going to Jay Wolfe Acura and ask for Jim Mattson. Tell him I sent you and text drive a SH-AWD.
Got a loaner 2012 AWD TL for a day. I drove it in sport mode throughout. Was a blast and here are my thoughts compared to the FWD:

1) The car felt heavier and rougher compared to the fwd. That can be attributed to the AWD.

2) The car was a absolute blast on the corners. I really pushed it and it was a lot of fun.

3 I drove exactly 57 miles and I needed 7.02 gallons to top it off again. That is around 8 miles to a gallon. Yikes!!! Even my M3's worst mileage in around 14. I was in sport mode and high rpm's mostly but 8 mpg is a little insane.

All in all the car was fun but I still prefer my fwd based on the following:

1) I didnt feel that AWD was any faster as far as acceleration goes. It may be on paper but I didn't feel any noticeable difference.

2) The gas mileage was pathetic. If you drive it the way it is meant to be drive, the gas mileage really suffers.

3) The trunk space is noticeably smaller. If that is important toyou, then it's a minus on the AWD.

The above are important to me and now that I had a AWD all to myself to drive it the way I wanted to, I am happy I went with the forward. Of course depending on what you preferences are, the AWD might be a better choice for some.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Test drive them back to back. Was all set on a SH-AWD Advance until my dealer made me drive the FWD - Ride was so much better. I am glad I didn't purchase the SH-AWD.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
As the driver...

SH-AWD is a more engaging driving experience; more road feel, more power, more confidence doing things you really shouldn't be doing...

As the passenger...

SH-AWD is bumpy, jittery, although very comfortable seats.

Just got back from a 200+ mile road trip. My GF complained that she couldn't hold her phone steady enough to play fine motor skill games on her iphone. My last ride was an Avalon, WORLD of difference between ride quality, however I want that connected feel, and while the AWD is stiffer, I find the driving dynamics more than make up for the bumpier ride.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
All matter of personal preferences

The FWD TL is an extremely competent FWD sport sedan, the SH-AWD on the other side is a handling nirvana capable of running with the best midsize sport sedans out there and often outhandle them.

The AWD is definitely more fun and engaging to drive but the ride can be a little bit stiffer (not much more to represent a problem in my opinion),

I think that to really complete the AWD experience you need to get the 6 speed MT version.

Fuel consuption is just a tad worse on the AWD and you lose a sliver of space in the trunk.

The power difference is not extreme but it is noticeable.

If you live in a place with chances of inclement weather the AWD is a no brainer to me.....

To me my SH-AWD 6MT is like a car with a dual personality....refined and comfortable cruiser on the highway, handling demon in the twisties....a perfect compromise...you guys put me in the mood to take my TL out for a road trip!!!