TL 2010, timing belt, spark plugs and transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL 2010, timing belt, spark plugs and transmission fluid

Hello
I have a 2010 TL BASE. I live in Chicago suburbs
i got a quote from a local certified mechanic for timing belt water pump tensioner idler the whole kit for $848 including parts and labor which was 5.2 hours for $444. The kit is $357 plus tax.
Also spark plugs replacement for $285 including 6 spark plugs Desno Iridium LL $116 and labor $153

it seems overpriced to me both parts and and labor.
What is a reasonable price for these services?

another question should the transmission fluid be changed? At what mileage? What is a reasonable cost?
thank you.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:19 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Buy the belt, idler, tensioner, water pump from an Acura dealer. Not from anyone else. You want real OE parts and not knock offs that you never know when they are going to go. These are critical engine parts and keep the receipts for warranty purposes. Spark plugs you can find on the web a lot cheaper, even these denso ones. The computer in the dash will tell you with when its time to do all that. It flashes codes like B1234 etc that you can look up at acura.com to see what they mean. Transmission fluid cost varies, but make sure it ATF Z1, nothing else. Usually around $80 is reasonable for time and material. Add honda anti freeze to the list, by the way. It will spill all out when you do the water pump... and don't use any other crap out there as anti freeze except the blue honda liquid.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
NGK 10 per plug
Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Search for other threads. (get it? spark plug threads)
The Acura V6 is extremely easy to work on (spark plug job) compared to most V6s.
I bought the NGK plugs on Amazon and changed them myself. Whole replacement for 6 plugs took less than an hour but could be done in 10-15 minutes.
Cost about $70 total for me.
Dealer quote for this job is ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (05-03-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jim_c
Search for other threads. (get it? spark plug threads)
The Acura V6 is extremely easy to work on (spark plug job) compared to most V6s.
I bought the NGK plugs on Amazon and changed them myself. Whole replacement for 6 plugs took less than an hour but could be done in 10-15 minutes.
Cost about $70 total for me.
Dealer quote for this job is ridiculous.
Which NKGs did you go for? Autozone has a 10 dollar off deal going on right now along w/ 20% off large orders ($100 or more). I'm already at the $100 mark so I would like to add on the plugs and get a decent savings on top. =) They have NGK Laser Iridiums.

NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug 7751 - Read Reviews on NGK Laser Iridium #7751
Old 05-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
You can buy the AISIN Kit which is pretty much the same as the OEM kit for much cheaper on amazon on ebay. Make sure to get the tensioner and idler pulley! I'd also suggest doing a valve adjustment (2 hours labor + new gaskets) and also checking the oil pan for leaks along.

Labor for timing belt/waterpump is about 6 hours. Spark plugs + Valve adjustment works out to 3 hours. NGK's apparently are much better than the denso's from what the 3G's run, and they came from the factory with NGK.

You should be able to buy the gaskets, plugs, and other parts from ebay/rockauto/amazon and bring them to an indy and pay labor.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I posted two kits from eBay in another thread just recently on pricing for OE/OEM parts on a timing belt kit -

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-.../#post16006540

Plugs you should be able to knock out yourself, really not too difficult.

I was doing my transmission, differential, and transfer case fluid every 15k miles (every third oil change) -

Engine - 5qts Penzoil Platinum 5w20 + Filter (Mobil1 M-104)
Transmission - 4qts of Acura ATF
Differential - 3qts of Acura DPSF
Transfer Case - 1qt of Royal Purple 75w90

Overkill? Probably, but it's not that much money for peace of mind.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:40 PM
10th Gear

I am going to tackle this job soon and am trying to compile a lits of parts that i can replace while everything is apart as i do not want something to go bad after i change the belt.
The parts needed so far:
Timing belt
tensioner
water pump
bearings
main seal
thermostat

do i need anything else for this job? thanks for the input!!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I replied in the other thread, but if you do transmission fluid, DO NOT use ATF-Z1. Use the newer ATF-DW1. That's what the 4G TL calls for. And it's much better. Even the older Acura's which called for Z1 work much better with the newer DW1. And if you do spark plugs, get them online. ONLY use NGK. Not Bosch or Autolite or anything else. I strongly suggest using NGK Laser Iridium. The TL calls for ILZKR7B11:

Amazon Amazon
pandamonium (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

my torque converter is going to get replaced soon so they will change that stuff when they do the job ill make sure i bring that up when they do that at the dealership just incase. Got extended insurance on trans drivetrain and motor so its all covered even though the torque coverter was recalled for my car.. and yeh i always get the laser iridium for these 6 cyl cars. my old honda accord and everything but idk if im gonna do that until next spring. Thanks for the help and info!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by pandamonium
my torque converter is going to get replaced soon so they will change that stuff when they do the job ill make sure i bring that up when they do that at the dealership just incase. Got extended insurance on trans drivetrain and motor so its all covered even though the torque coverter was recalled for my car.. and yeh i always get the laser iridium for these 6 cyl cars. my old honda accord and everything but idk if im gonna do that until next spring. Thanks for the help and info!
If they're doing the torque converter service then I believe they change ATF along with it, so that saves you money and labor right there too.
pandamonium (10-27-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by pandamonium
Question for you - What symptoms did the failing torque converter have? Was it just slipping a lot? Noise?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by losiglow
Question for you - What symptoms did the failing torque converter have? Was it just slipping a lot? Noise?
sorry for the late response. There is actually a recall for the torque converter. When I lightly step on the gas between 15 and 45 mph the car like vibrates bad and don’t really send power out. It’s kind of like driving stick and u have the car in high gear and step on the gas. Not a terrible thing but it’s super super annoying. There is a thread on here that lists all the recalls and I know that was one on there.