Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is there any G37 owner here with a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there any G37 owner here with a TL?

I'm almost et the end of my lease, i owned 2 TLs, 2005 and 2007. Didn't like the new look so took a G37X sedan.

The new TLs look is ok now. I like my g37 but i change car often and there is no really new model for g37, i would like to try something new, for the next 2-3 years.

I'm tempted for a TL AWD TECH. (also a VOLVO S60 , not sure). I 'D like to know if some owner of fourth generation TL, have or had a g37X, and if TL is fun to drive, as much as the infiniti ?

- Do you have any rattles ? (my g37 don't have any)
- I know the exhaust sound is not the same as in the G, but i remenber with my other TL when you were above 5000 rpm the sound was fun. Is it always the case.
- Ride quality. some comments compare to G37 about that, because i heard AWD TL have pretty hard suspension, hope not more than the G

Here in Canada i can rent for 25 month for the price of 36 month rent and with maintenance included. It's very interesting
Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
have you ever driven a SH-AWD TL before?

drive it, and you will find out.. make sure you really DRIVE IT
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by potmilkz
have you ever driven a SH-AWD TL before?

drive it, and you will find out.. make sure you really DRIVE IT

NO I didn't yet, plan to do it for sure. But trying a new car will answer at only few of my questions. Also test drive are too short to give a good idea, or to really DRIVE IT, as you said
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM

ive have driven both cars, and sadly, the g37 didnt perform as good as the SH-AWD.

its is stock to stock comparison, but everyone's opinions are different. some might see that g37x is better, but you really cant beat the SH-AWD system.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
*as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
*as well.
lol sorry

its been a long day at work.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
That G's shape has been around since the dark ages. I was going to buy a G35 before I saw the '04 TL. Isn't there a new G coming out next year? Not sure. Either way, I'd take the TL over it because I'm not a fan of Infiniti interiors.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a 2010 G37x also, so i can speak from experience. Two totally different beast. The G is smaller, and it has more power. It's what i call an "in your face" power type of car. The suspension on the G is quite stiff, the steering is very stiff. Up until 2 weeks ago i had a 2010 TL SH-AWD automatic. Now i have a 2012 TL SH-AWD 6MT. A fair comparision is to compare Automatic to Automatic. So my thoughts are based on comparing the 2010 TL to the 2010 G. So power goes to the G. Fit and finnish, i was unlucky with alot of Rattles in my TL. Also, i had to have a propeller shaft changed on my TL under warranty. My car had 42,000km when i traded it. So far my G has 27,000km and have not heard a single rattle, nor has ever had any warranty work done. Fit and finnish i would say goes to the G. After all, it is still built in Japan. As for comfort, the TL is way more comfortable to drive. Seats are better, larger, and just an all around better car for long hauls. As for handling, SH-AWD TL all the way. The car grips well, and is amazing on corners. But the G is not too bad. It has significanly more body roll, but it also sticks very well.

Long story short, the way i would sumarize my compairison, the G is more rough, edgy, and more performance. TL is not as quick, but quick enough, more comfort and larger. It's all in preference. The two cars are so difficult to compare, becuase they have different goals.

Now the 2012 TL SH-AWD 6MT is a whole other Beast!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura2010:
ostrich (10-21-2011), sebounet2005 (10-22-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The 2012 TL now comes with 6AT...so that might make it a bit faster than the 2010 TL. Don't expect it to be faster than the G37 though.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
when i was shopping, the only thing that led me to the 2010 TL is that Infiniti stopped making manual trans AWD models, as far as I know...I think the last model was 2009 or 2008...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
I have a 2010 G37x also, so i can speak from experience. Two totally different beast. The G is smaller, and it has more power. It's what i call an "in your face" power type of car. The suspension on the G is quite stiff, the steering is very stiff. Up until 2 weeks ago i had a 2010 TL SH-AWD automatic. Now i have a 2012 TL SH-AWD 6MT. A fair comparision is to compare Automatic to Automatic. So my thoughts are based on comparing the 2010 TL to the 2010 G. So power goes to the G. Fit and finnish, i was unlucky with alot of Rattles in my TL. Also, i had to have a propeller shaft changed on my TL under warranty. My car had 42,000km when i traded it. So far my G has 27,000km and have not heard a single rattle, nor has ever had any warranty work done. Fit and finnish i would say goes to the G. After all, it is still built in Japan. As for comfort, the TL is way more comfortable to drive. Seats are better, larger, and just an all around better car for long hauls. As for handling, SH-AWD TL all the way. The car grips well, and is amazing on corners. But the G is not too bad. It has significanly more body roll, but it also sticks very well.

Long story short, the way i would sumarize my compairison, the G is more rough, edgy, and more performance. TL is not as quick, but quick enough, more comfort and larger. It's all in preference. The two cars are so difficult to compare, becuase they have different goals.

Great and fair comparisons! I have driven both cars and I agree with you totally!

I know that this was not listed as an important factor by the OP, but the stereo system is the TL Tech is way, way, way better than that in the Infiniti. There is just no comparison there. It's actually one of the several main reasons why I went with the TL....
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ostrich
Great and fair comparisons! I have driven both cars and I agree with you totally!

I know that this was not listed as an important factor by the OP, but the stereo system is the TL Tech is way, way, way better than that in the Infiniti. There is just no comparison there. It's actually one of the several main reasons why I went with the TL....

Yes i love a good sound system, and as i said i have owned 2 tls (2005 and 2007) both with ELS. Eagles Hotel california was what i was using for people that wanted to hear the sound quality of ELS. Unfortunately DVD audio don't exist anymore or very expensive on the web. Eagles DVD Audio is around 250$ actually, wow

Sound system in G is good , but i agree it doesn't reach the level on the one in teh acura TL tech. And for me also, the sound system in the car is a selling point. If i must choose between two options like sport package and super sound system, i would choose the sound system.

What i'm sure almost is that the TL AWD is less nimble like the G, due to size and weight, and FWD, TL is in a different league. But i believe TL is better in snow condition (important here 4 months per year).

Thank you all for your honests answers. when i had my Tls i was going to this forum because i ve had some issues with those cars, and i ve found here a lot of help from you.

I have searched the web to find a video where i can hear the exhaust sound of stock TL AWD, and wasn't able to find a good one. If you have a link in mind, please share it here
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^^Nice^^ Great music choice(Eagles Hotel California).

Not sure what it is about the G series here in NW Portland, but in my neighborhood they are always driven by the biggest douchebags (But hey, if you go to Nico you'll find statements like this "Typically our area is affluent with douchebag Honda drivers." [http://forums.nicoclub.com/douchebag-vw-t357697-40.html])
They are such a great cars for the money. Price wise they do not hold their value as good as the TL. Which means you can find smokin' hot deals on these cars used. I would love to own one, but I'm considered a huge asshole around here already (I don't need the douchbag label too).
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^^Nice^^ Great music choice(Eagles Hotel California).

Not sure what it is about the G series here in NW Portland, but in my neighborhood they are always driven by the biggest douchebags (But hey, if you go to Nico you'll find statements like this "Typically our area is affluent with douchebag Honda drivers." [http://forums.nicoclub.com/douchebag-vw-t357697-40.html])
They are such a great cars for the money. Price wise they do not hold their value as good as the TL. Which means you can find smokin' hot deals on these cars used. I would love to own one, but I'm considered a huge asshole around here already (I don't need the douchbag label too).

Being an asshole or a douchbag, that's the question lol
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010

One problem with 2010 G37x is it come with Goodyear RSA tires. Any tires you buy on the market can outperform the stock tires that come with the G.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Canada and pciked up a 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite last month. Previously I had a 2008 G35xS and can say that although I really liked my G, I love my new TL. With 305 horse, power is very similar and even though the sound of the G was very distinct, I find that the TL has a similar "throaty" sound. Comfort, smooth ride and fit/finish is similar however the G interior finish was slightly better (extra thigh bolsters in the seats, paddle shifters were conencted to the steering column Vs the steering wheel). Also, the power tilt/telescopic steering wheet as part of the memory setting was nice. Their blind spot monitoring system is better as it is positioned in the side mirrors Vs the interior of the car

That being said, based on the deals available now on the new TL (25 year anniversary rates and 25-month free service) combined with the larger cabin space (I'm 6'1" tall) I think that the 2012 TL is a better vehicle. I have been driving it for about 1 month now and am very happy with my decision.
The following users liked this post:
sebounet2005 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Addition: one thing I do miss about my G is the Nav and HFL system...much more intuitive; easy voice dialing, destination by voice, linking multiple phones for bluetooth and setting up lead and secondary phones. Very well done. The TL HFL is lacking and counter-intuative from this viewpoint.

Originally Posted by bailey24
I live in Canada and pciked up a 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite last month. Previously I had a 2008 G35xS and can say that although I really liked my G, I love my new TL. With 305 horse, power is very similar and even though the sound of the G was very distinct, I find that the TL has a similar "throaty" sound. Comfort, smooth ride and fit/finish is similar however the G interior finish was slightly better (extra thigh bolsters in the seats, paddle shifters were conencted to the steering column Vs the steering wheel). Also, the power tilt/telescopic steering wheet as part of the memory setting was nice. Their blind spot monitoring system is better as it is positioned in the side mirrors Vs the interior of the car

That being said, based on the deals available now on the new TL (25 year anniversary rates and 25-month free service) combined with the larger cabin space (I'm 6'1" tall) I think that the 2012 TL is a better vehicle. I have been driving it for about 1 month now and am very happy with my decision.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove the G37 as well and just traded my 335i coupe in for a CPO 2010 6MT SH-AWD. I like the ride in the TL better than the G. TL is a close second to the beemer.