Test Drove a New TL SH-6MT Today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
Ventilated seats has me miffed too. The RL has it so why can't they have it in the TL? Maybe they want to justify the higher price for the RL
Thanks to both of you for the nice replies.

I actually asked about a lease on an RL yesterday just for that reason. The lease rate was so high I actually threw away the quote. The residuals are awful.

The difficulty is that what I'm leaning toward is a three year lease on an Acura right now because that is the best lease deal from Acura by $200 a month over a two year lease. I'm just wondering if I'm going to go nuts knowing I have to keep the car three years when other stuff comes out in the meantime. For instance, we can pretty much bet the TL will get the six speed auto next fall. And if they come out with ventilated seats, then I'm really going to be wanting to upgrade.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
You can get better LEASE deals from Infiniti. Wouldn't hurt to look.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
You can get better LEASE deals from Infiniti. Wouldn't hurt to look.
I"ve owned several Infinitis - everything the make is getting pretty long in the tooth. The new Ms will be out in about April, but that is too late for me, and I don't expect any decent deals the first few months they are out.

The G has a little interest to me, but really doesn't offer much over the Acura which is more up to date.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with the Acura TL lease deals right now.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulff3
Say again?
i think he means use it for a long time so he gets what he paid for not just keeping it for a year and pay it 500 a day its more like keeping it for 6 and paying $10 a day
Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The difficulty is that what I'm leaning toward is a three year lease on an Acura right now because that is the best lease deal from Acura by $200 a month over a two year lease. I'm just wondering if I'm going to go nuts knowing I have to keep the car three years when other stuff comes out in the meantime. For instance, we can pretty much bet the TL will get the six speed auto next fall. And if they come out with ventilated seats, then I'm really going to be wanting to upgrade.
I am in the exact same situation. I am deciding to finance which ultimately should not run you any more money based on the rates in comparison but it also depends on resale. My state's tax credit law on trade in will save me time and money minus the trouble of having to sell it myself, that's mostly why I am going in that direction. I can tell you that financing my TLS, instead of leasing, was the better way to go, now three years later. Yes I paid more monthly but should recoupe that and more, worse case scenario it will end up having cost the same but I still made out cause I had all the flexibility that comes with that.

You can't go wrong financing in situations like ours. The higher monthly sucks but in the end it's almost never more expensive. If the car doesn't end up doing as well in value you can still get out in two years time without feeling a hit and if the car holds better than expected you made out over leasing.

If the monthly payment is a big thing and you anticipate the car having less than average mileage and being in excellent condition than you may want to take a chance on the 3 year lease and should be able to trade out of it early.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
too many people on this forum who also have vettes is all i can say ...
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
too many people on this forum who also have vettes is all i can say ...
yeah, don't you just hate that?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I am in the exact same situation. I am deciding to finance which ultimately should not run you any more money based on the rates in comparison but it also depends on resale. My state's tax credit law on trade in will save me time and money minus the trouble of having to sell it myself, that's mostly why I am going in that direction. I can tell you that financing my TLS, instead of leasing, was the better way to go, now three years later. Yes I paid more monthly but should recoupe that and more, worse case scenario it will end up having cost the same but I still made out cause I had all the flexibility that comes with that.

You can't go wrong financing in situations like ours. The higher monthly sucks but in the end it's almost never more expensive. If the car doesn't end up doing as well in value you can still get out in two years time without feeling a hit and if the car holds better than expected you made out over leasing.

If the monthly payment is a big thing and you anticipate the car having less than average mileage and being in excellent condition than you may want to take a chance on the 3 year lease and should be able to trade out of it early.
I ran some numbers today - had to make some assumptions of course. Based upon my lease quote and comparing to financing using 1.9% available now, it looks like a wash leasing vs financing. The difference is that on a lease I don't have to take any money out of the bank to put down.

One of the advantages now is that there are big tax credits available right now on a lease in Texas on the Acura, but on a purchase I have to pay full tax. The swing is about $2000 right now.

The downside is that it's harder to get out of a lease early. BTW, I asked my dealer is Honda leases are transferable. He was not really sure, but was pretty sure that if it is possible that the new leessor would have to pass their credit check.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
I ran some numbers today - had to make some assumptions of course. Based upon my lease quote and comparing to financing using 1.9% available now, it looks like a wash leasing vs financing. The difference is that on a lease I don't have to take any money out of the bank to put down.

One of the advantages now is that there are big tax credits available right now on a lease in Texas on the Acura, but on a purchase I have to pay full tax. The swing is about $2000 right now.

The downside is that it's harder to get out of a lease early. BTW, I asked my dealer is Honda leases are transferable. He was not really sure, but was pretty sure that if it is possible that the new leessor would have to pass their credit check.
Just an FYI - Unlike BMW, American Honda leases are one the most difficult lease contracts to transfer. Honda only allows lease transfers in very rare circumstances like a sudden change in finances. Should a lease transfer be approved, Honda will still hold you liable should the new owner default on payments. BMW is generally known to have more liberal stipulations on lease transfers and with no responsibility attached to the original lessee after a successful transfer.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrigioTL
Just an FYI - Unlike BMW, American Honda leases are one the most difficult lease contracts to transfer. Honda only allows lease transfers in very rare circumstances like a sudden change in finances. Should a lease transfer be approved, Honda will still hold you liable should the new owner default on payments. BMW is generally known to have more liberal stipulations on lease transfers and with no responsibility attached to the original lessee after a successful transfer.
Thank you for this info. I just did a search before seeing your post and came up with conflicting info- but pretty much concluded the same thing. Yes, that gives me a little more pause on a three year lease. I know I sound crazy, but it's unbelievably hard for me to keep a car two years let alone three.

The good news is that one of the few cars that I kept past 24 months (kept it 25 months) was my 2004 TL. And I really wasn't unhappy with the car then, I just was itching for something new and finally found a good lease deal on a Infiniti M45.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Thank you for this info. I just did a search before seeing your post and came up with conflicting info- but pretty much concluded the same thing. Yes, that gives me a little more pause on a three year lease. I know I sound crazy, but it's unbelievably hard for me to keep a car two years let alone three.

The good news is that one of the few cars that I kept past 24 months (kept it 25 months) was my 2004 TL. And I really wasn't unhappy with the car then, I just was itching for something new and finally found a good lease deal on a Infiniti M45.
Sounds to me that a lease may not be right for you...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrigioTL
Sounds to me that a lease may not be right for you...
Not exactly true. What may not be right is a three year lease.

But a lot of folks don't really get the math. You are just as screwed at two years whether you lease or not. It's just a matter of whether you put up the money as a down payment to keep from getting upside down, or whether you have to buy your way out of a lease if you decide to dump it before the lease is up.

There is no free lunch on buying or leasing. I am the first to admit that it depends a lot on the deals available at the time. But right now, I've run the math every which way from Sunday, and I don't see much benefit either way except that leasing saves a down payment. What I've learned in the past is that I can put down $5,000 or $10,000 on a car then trade it after a year or two. It's a simple matter of forgetting how much I put down that I'm not getting back out of the car at one or two years.

This is not to say that I'm always pro leasing. One of my cars I paid cash for, one I financed traditionally, and one is leased. Every situation has to be evaluated on its on set of circumstances.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
fun thread. wish i was a part of all the banter.

My quick

BMW - best driving/handling car in the world (non-exotics). no questions asked. very solid car, usually decent power, long term durabiltiy is a tad costly, but its there. i've seen BMW's with over 250-300k

Interior, high quality materials, boring. REAL wood. REAL leather (hard yes, but durable as stated).

328i nicely loaded -$40-42k
TSX V6 tech - $34k.
TSX I4 tech - $30k

535xi nicely loaded - $60k
TL SHAWD tech - $40k

Acura interior is top notch. super awesome. leather will fall apart after a few years. paint is cheaper, rattles, not built as solid as a BMW. However, its a Honda. will last forever for mimumum problems. I used to think they were bullet proof... until the 2G CL/TL 5AT tranny

I love my Acuras. But if i was able to afford, i would most likely be in an E90 or E92 M3 or at least fully loaded 335xi ...

my 4G SH-AWD Tech is an awesome car. and it cost me $37k

go buy a brand new BMW 3 series for $37k, and compare apples to apples.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
5th Gear

does Acura use leather from cows or do they use faux leather?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IHeartIntegra
does Acura use leather from cows or do they use faux leather?
Is this a serious question? I need to know so that I know whether to give a serious answer or not.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM
5th Gear

serious. is the leather real of fake?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IHeartIntegra
serious. is the leather real of fake?
Well, if it's leather, it's real. If it isn't leather it is something else.

They could not advertise it as a leather interior if it wasn't. BMW has something called "leatherette" that is not real leather.

Also, many interiors with leather have leather on the main surfaces of the seats, but have vinyl on the sides and backs.

Sorry if I came across as a jerk - sometimes I am!