Test drove 4G TL SH-AWD today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Test drove 4G TL SH-AWD today

As the title states I test drove a 4G TL with SH-AWD today. Here are my impressions.

The car overall is impressive. The transmission and drive train I think are the real redeeming features of this car. Unlike in my 03 TL-S the new TL shifts like butter. I honestly couldn't feel it shift even when pushing it hard. I think Acura may have finally figured out how to make a decent transmission. The ride quality is on point and the brakes are very well balanced for both the car and the possible spirited driving I could see myself doing. The upgraded seats in the SH-AWD car are nice and the different colored stitching is a real eye catcher. Steering and also acceleration are quick and responsive.

Complaints:
The interior is way to busy. There have to be more then 150 buttons each with their own function. I felt like I was in a jet liner cock pit. The steering column is still manually controlled. With all of the technology packed into this car couldn't they have made adjustment electronic and tied to the car being on or off? The car is a tad bit boring, by this I mean I couldn't see myself modding it to any extent. Getting back to the transmission, it's a 5AT which last time I checked was one gear short of pretty much every major competitor. Along with this note we get worse MPG due to having less gears. For comparison purposes the 2008 Lexus GS350 weighs 3794 lbs and is rated to get 29mpg on the highway. How do they pull this off you ask? It's got a 6 speed transmission... Sorry but this seems like a no brainer, especially when Lexus is coming out with 8 speed transmissions already.

At this point I don't feel that the additional price of SH-AWD and the Tech package are worth it. However I couldn't see myself getting a 4G TL without them. I know conflicting view points... bottom line I think it's over priced. We'll see if I come around in the end.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, opinions vary, thanks for posting your thoughts. IMO buying this car without getting the tech package in either AWD or FWD is like having a home theatre with no Universal remote.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good post... can't argue overall, but I like the cockpit. There are just enough buttons for the major features, and everything is very tastefully done.

A six speed transmission would be a no-brainer when designing this car, and its omission is all the more obvious.

The AWD/Tech package is, in my humble opinion, what makes the car a true next-gen TL. When I thought of everything I wanted, this is the one that had it.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
the cockpit - you can learn in a few days - looks more complex than it really is in use
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Good post... can't argue overall, but I like the cockpit. There are just enough buttons for the major features, and everything is very tastefully done.

A six speed transmission would be a no-brainer when designing this car, and its omission is all the more obvious.

The AWD/Tech package is, in my humble opinion, what makes the car a true next-gen TL. When I thought of everything I wanted, this is the one that had it.
Did you post any pic of yours,i like that pic your avatar
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, the many buttons on the cockpit maybe redundant but I rather have the buttons there than go through menu-after-menu like on BMW's notorious I-Drive.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Well, the many buttons on the cockpit maybe redundant but I rather have the buttons there than go through menu-after-menu like on BMW's notorious I-Drive.
I totally agree. BMW's I-Drive is garbage. The TL just seems a bit overly complex. If I let my girlfriend drive it she would be calling me once every 5 minutes asking how to do something. To many buttons = utter confusion for a lot of people.

I think the only people who appreciate that much choice are techies...
Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by death
I totally agree. BMW's I-Drive is garbage. The TL just seems a bit overly complex. If I let my girlfriend drive it she would be calling me once every 5 minutes asking how to do something. To many buttons = utter confusion for a lot of people.

I think the only people who appreciate that much choice are techies...

Well, when in doubt, just use voice-command.....it's there and it's pretty good.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Death;

I drove an 09 TL with Tech for about 4 days and couldn't deal with all the buttons. Plus, I thought the sound system was a step back from the 3G b/c the center channel is placed way far back due to the location of the Nav screen and I am not sure the tweets are as good as the 3G. Neither of these cars have stellar sound systems, but I was expecting more from the newer model.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
imo if you have been driving honda/acura products - you can have the dash buttons down very quickly.

Its all the same stuff/symbols/functions honda/acura has used from years past radio, ac/heat. The only learning curve is familiarizing yourself w/ where they actually are located. (as in unlearning your old car and learning the new one - esp at night)

I went from the 3G to the 4G and the only trouble I had was figuring out if the mirrors were heated or not and where the button was. (now a single button is defrost and mirror heat)

Now I admit I had to learn the Nav controller and the buttons just around it - but is not bad to learn (here any exper w/ prev honda/acura nav systems again is a plus)
I mean if you look at the dash of a new Accord w/ nav - isn't it pretty much the same set up?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor

SH-AWD + Tech are must haves if you have the means in my book...figure out what the actual difference you will pay is vs MSRP before you decide...

in the 38's out the door for SH+Tech (I pay ~$80 T&L) is not too shabby.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Agreed.
Having driven it, I would not get a 4G unless it was a SH AWD Tech.

$49K here in Canada with a $1825 destination charge!....and of course taxes on top of that!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GearDriven
SH-AWD + Tech are must haves if you have the means in my book...figure out what the actual difference you will pay is vs MSRP before you decide...

in the 38's out the door for SH+Tech (I pay ~$80 T&L) is not too shabby.

I agree that AWD+Tech are must haves to take full advantage of the 4G offerings. I test drove one several days ago and I like the performance, but not the front beak, which I think will be hard for me to get used to. The dealer quoted 40k, before TT&L. Where did you get your fantastic deal in New York, and why did you only have to pay $80 for T&L?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah I have a hard time going under 40K before TT&L. I was hoping to get down to maybe 39K. 38K OTD sounds... impossible but excellent.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

^ true... Acura has an incentive running right now which may help. $2000 cash back...

Current Pricing
4G TL AWD + Tech
Invoice: $38,812
MSRP: $42,235

4G TL AWD (non tech)
Invoice: $35,391
MSRP: 38,505
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwjang86
Yeah I have a hard time going under 40K before TT&L. I was hoping to get down to maybe 39K. 38K OTD sounds... impossible but excellent.
Try CarsDirect.com and see who it matches you up to or USAA's service if you have them.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
[QUOTE=death;10495741]Complaints:
The interior is way to busy. There have to be more then 150 buttons each with their own function. I felt like I was in a jet liner cock pit. Getting back to the transmission, it's a 5AT which last time I checked was one gear short of pretty much every major competitor. Along with this note we get worse MPG due to having less gears. For comparison purposes the 2008 Lexus GS350 weighs 3794 lbs and is rated to get 29mpg on the highway. How do they pull this off you ask? It's got a 6 speed transmission... Sorry but this seems like a no brainer, especially when Lexus is coming out with 8 speed transmissions already.

QUOTE]

Sur eI wish they had a gear or 2 more, it woudl help MPG mostly ont he HWY, but since I am on side streets most of the time it may not be a big help. Seeing as Honda has proeblmes getting a reliable V6 based tranny built I woudl not want to be the beta test for them. I do agree that the ironic Acura "ADVANCE" theme is begining to fall short. The 3G TL was way ahead of many competitors for technology, not they are just in the pack with many others.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Pro

QUOTE]

Sur eI wish they had a gear or 2 more, it woudl help MPG mostly ont he HWY, but since I am on side streets most of the time it may not be a big help. Seeing as Honda has proeblmes getting a reliable V6 based tranny built I woudl not want to be the beta test for them. I do agree that the ironic Acura "ADVANCE" theme is begining to fall short. The 3G TL was way ahead of many competitors for technology, not they are just in the pack with many others.[/QUOTE]

Yes, when the 3G came out in 2004, it offered cutting edge technology. But now, the 4G is basically using trickle-down technology from its brethen - i.e. the RL and MDX. Also, on the one hand, Acura/Honda is being conservative with respect to its technology development, but on the other hand, it is being too bold with its exterior designs - a la the controversial beak and tail.

The current pricing of the AWD-Tech model does not appear to be sustainable for a long time, given the state of the economy and the not so-well received exterior design of the car. If there is a substantial price drop (ie. $2k below invoice), maybe then more buyers will be interested.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kenny5
QUOTE]

Sur eI wish they had a gear or 2 more, it woudl help MPG mostly ont he HWY, but since I am on side streets most of the time it may not be a big help. Seeing as Honda has proeblmes getting a reliable V6 based tranny built I woudl not want to be the beta test for them. I do agree that the ironic Acura "ADVANCE" theme is begining to fall short. The 3G TL was way ahead of many competitors for technology, not they are just in the pack with many others.
Yes, when the 3G came out in 2004, it offered cutting edge technology. But now, the 4G is basically using trickle-down technology from its brethen - i.e. the RL and MDX. Also, on the one hand, Acura/Honda is being conservative with respect to its technology development, but on the other hand, it is being too bold with its exterior designs - a la the controversial beak and tail.

The current pricing of the AWD-Tech model does not appear to be sustainable for a long time, given the state of the economy and the not so-well received exterior design of the car. If there is a substantial price drop (ie. $2k below invoice), maybe then more buyers will be interested.[/QUOTE]

There is no real cutting edge technology in the 4G, You look at Infiniti and evne the Genesis and they both offer the same stuff if not more, Infiniti can give you adaptive headlights , laser guided cruise control and 4 wheel steering and power adjustable steering wheel, for about the same price as a SH-AWD. Sure the SH-AWD is more advance, but how many people need that? Even up North they need basic AWD for winter, the SH portion is more a sales gimmic and a way to take attention away from the fact that it is still a FWD based design.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting side note. Consumer Reports rated the non SH-AWD version of the 4G TL as getting 16/33 City/Highway MPG. Which was the highest out of the 5 sedans they reviewed in its class.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Pro

Interesting side note. Consumer Reports rated the non SH-AWD version of the 4G TL as getting 16/33 City/Highway MPG. Which was the highest out of the 5 sedans they reviewed in its class.
How is this possible with only a 5AT?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver

It's quite possible and I've proved it on my old 2G TL-S. I pulled off 33+ MPG on a trip from NH to DC. 5th gear on our cars is quite tall. Cruising at 80mph puts the tach at around 2k rpm.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Pro

It's quite possible and I've proved it on my old 2G TL-S. I pulled off 33+ MPG on a trip from NH to DC. 5th gear on our cars is quite tall. Cruising at 80mph puts the tach at around 2k rpm.
I know -- I was being facetious -- hence the
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Gotcha... damnit, and I just dug up my mileage post. Link
Old 02-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

My 3G TL's got 22 MPG city and 28-30MPG HWY easily, my Type-S was more like 21MPG city and 27MPG HWY, now my new SH-AWD is doing about 19-20MPG city and only about 24-25 MPG HWY so clearly a 6 or 7 SPD AUTO woudl help HWY a bit, but remember Acura engines don't rev high anyway
Old 02-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Complaints:
The interior is way to busy. There have to be more then 150 buttons each with their own function. I felt like I was in a jet liner cock pit.
There are more plastics used and I don't see luxury wood trims or metal. It's pathetic.

Getting back to the transmission, it's a 5AT which last time I checked was one gear short of pretty much every major competitor. Along with this note we get worse MPG due to having less gears. For comparison purposes the 2008 Lexus GS350 weighs 3794 lbs and is rated to get 29mpg on the highway. How do they pull this off you ask? It's got a 6 speed transmission... Sorry but this seems like a no brainer, especially when Lexus is coming out with 8 speed transmissions already.
Are you fuc.kin' stupid? (and majority of the people here) The extra gear(s) doesn't only provide better gas mileage but MORE IMPORTANTLY it gives you better performance. Haven't you heard of short gear ratios? There is a huge benefit in acceleration. THAT is why having extra gears are wanted. Stop bi.tchin' about the fuel consumption.... who gives a fuc.k about that. If you can't afford the gas then you shouldn't be buying such expensive car. If you can spend $40k then you can afford gas. Bunch of morons here. Go read about gear ratios and how extra gears benefit. Learn the technical stuff. This is NOT a bragging rights or marketing you stupid sh#t........

As for the 8 speed on the Lexus it already came out last year. As a matter of fact, Hyundai will be coming out with super-efficient and lighter weight 8 speed trannys in a year or two. Honda and Acura is the only one so behind. So pathetic.......

The TL Sh-awd has 6 speed version available, but I bet ya a million dollars it will have 3rd gear synchro problems just like all 6 speed TL/TL-S and the rest of manual tranny Honda cars have problems.... I wonder if the ones built in Japan are a little better. You know all these Acura's (except for TSX and RL) are built in America... no wonder the build quality is so sh#t.....

pathetic......

Last edited by Manual Transmission; 02-14-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

And I bet ya the '09 TL is made in U.S.A..... which means poor build quality. Check the vin number you stupid people....
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Way to add some constructive criticism to the post. You essentially agreed with my post entirely but added more cuss words. I think you just showed your true colors.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
And I bet ya the '09 TL is made in U.S.A..... which means poor build quality. Check the vin number you stupid people....
We 4G owners bought a different car than you and we like what we drive. So what? People drive all kinds of cars and I bet some of them like what they drive, too.

These unwarranted insults on the TL and owners only show your own insecurities. Having a bad Valentines Day? Or maybe you see too many old ladies driving the same car as you.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Racer

Can you show me some data?

Working for as a quality engineer for a Japanese automaker for one of the American plants I take some serious offense to that.

Lexus does build the RX in Canada you know. Does that mean poor build quality?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Lexus are too boring for my taste...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kabota
Can you show me some data?
Check the vin number on your 4th gen TL if you have it. If it starts with a number or any letters other than "J" it's not made in Japan.

Lexus does build the RX in Canada you know.
I know. IIRC, the ES model is also not made in Japan. All others Lexus models are made in Japan.

Does that mean poor build quality?
Yesssssssssssssss.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro

Check the vin number on your 4th gen TL if you have it. If it starts with a number or any letters other than "J" it's not made in Japan...
Huh? No 4G TLs are made in Japan.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the 3Gs were made in the US as well...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Heh, and the 2G. BUT I think Manual isn't understanding what Kabota was saying. Kabota was asking for data to back up the assertion that US manufacture meant poor quality and not proof that it was made in the US.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro

Correct.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Colin
Heh, and the 2G.
Also, correct.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

Huh? No 4G TLs are made in Japan.
??? read my message you quoted again. I said if your vin number starts with a number or a letter other than "J" it's not made in Japan.

Yes.... all three 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen are built in the U.S.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro

??? read my message you quoted again. I said if your vin number starts with a number or a letter other than "J" it's not made in Japan.

Yes.... all three 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen are built in the U.S.
MT,

I believe you and I are in violent agreement!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
So even the 2G TLs that I've seen in Asia (right-hand-drive models) were built in the US?

Quick Reply: Test drove 4G TL SH-AWD today