Test Drove 2WD and SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010 | 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Test Drove 2WD and SH-AWD

Just had a chance to test drive a 2WD and the SH-AWD. For sure the AWD has better cornering, a much cleaner drive feel as opposed to the looser front wheel drive model. So my question is, the difference between the 2WD + Tech versus 4WD + Tech is about $6000 (includes all taxes). I love the AWD model but what are some of the cons for going with the AWD? I feel AWD:

- $6000 more expensive
- heavy and a little bit sluggish off the line (if I can call it that but i also found the 2WD heavy as well under braking; this is coming from a Gen 2 TL where pick up and breaking is pretty darn good)

Any one have any comments on the 2WD vs AWD? What the costs of servicing if one was to own the car for 10 year
Old 09-09-2010 | 06:56 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Slight fuel mileage penalties.
Old 09-09-2010 | 06:56 PM
Racer

Haven't driven the FWD TL yet, but I never regret getting the AWD!!
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

handling - was the selling point for me for the SH-AWD model

if you dont care about that or need the extra traction - then its not for you
(the sh-awd car does ride stiffer - a negative for some)
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:25 PM
Drifting

Get the 6mt AWD and you won't think that its sluggish off the line. This thing screams. I also haven't driven the FWD, but it's just crazy the stuff that the AWD can do in the corners. It's a blast to drive.
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:37 PM
Drifting

I had a FWD loaner some time ago. I was surprised by how "cushy" and "soft" it was. If that was what you prefer then you should go with FWD. If you prefer handling and performance prowess, then go with the AWD.

BTW, if you go with the FWD, please get the 18" rims. Those 17" rims are just too small and downmarket for the car.
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:40 PM
Intermediate

I have to agree with everyone about the cornering ability of the AWD. Yes, I also noticed the AWD suspension was a little stiffer, guess they needed beefier shocks for the added weight? Now, everyone who has the AWD, do you lease? I plan to own this puppy for another 10 yrs, just like the Gen 2. Just not sure if I want to pay another $5-6K for the AWD since the 2WD does fine now.

I am telling myself that in rain and snow, AWD will be safer but in reality, I have an older 2WD TL now and before that a rear view drive coupe! Any more insight, this is a tough decision, mostly because of NOT wanting to spend more money. It's great to know I am asking this in safe place with other Acura lovers who can share some thoughts and comforting thoughts during this tough buying decision. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:42 PM
Safety Car

i would say the difference is probably more like 3500-4000
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinnier6
i would say the difference is probably more like 3500-4000
Correct, that is in USD. North of the border, it's more like $5K. Not only that, before discounts, MSRP is $48,490 for Tech + AWD versus $43,490 for 2WD + Tech.
Old 09-09-2010 | 07:51 PM
Drifting

If you don't want to spend the money, get the FWD. I live in the North East, and bought my car to keep for at least 10 years or 100k miles (or more), I wouldn't have even considered getting the TL without AWD. It's really one of the only redeeming qualities. In the wintertime the car is just phenomenal. I've got winter tires as well, and the AWD has saved my ass many times. Plus I believe the AWD has better leather interior as well.
Old 09-09-2010 | 08:39 PM
Drifting

I've heard about the stiffer suspension on the AWD not being everyone's cup of tea, but I haven't driven one yet, so I won't comment. Without actually driving one, the 2 negatives I have for the SH-AWD are :

1) Worse mileage than the FWD model
2) I'm not a huge fan of the stitching that sticks out like a sore thumb on the interior. I know others don't mind it or like it, though, so to each their own.

I don't think either is enough to turn me away from buying an SH-AWD if and when I decide to. I just would need to decide if SH-AWD is worth it for me in the Dallas area.
Old 09-09-2010 | 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I've driven a few 4Gs and the AWD is the way to go, but it does stiffen the ride. For me it was bearable, but I have only driven it with the 18s. The 19s are probably worse.

If you're planning on buying new and keeping it a long time, I would also suggest you wait for the 2012 models that will be out in less than a year. It's sure to get some upgrades and over the long term that'd be best. Unless you are wanting to buy a clearance 2010, in which case that probably doesn't matter.
Old 09-09-2010 | 11:51 PM
Intermediate

@petec2010, when you say the AWD saved your ass a few times, was it because you drove the car too hard and needed a miracle to get out of trouble or was it that AWD got you to work on time during a heavy snow storm? I always hear users with AWD say that their car saved their butts and wonder if they are just pushing their cars too hard. The last time I was in a tough situation (many years ago), what saved me was years of on-track training (race track) and quick thinking. This is a not a slag but I always wonder how AWD can save people otherwise. The better leather is from the tech package (as was told by the dealer), not AWD I believe.

@Rocketsfan, my understanding was the gas usage was only slightly more for the AWD?

@MyCarIsntInMyWifesName 2012 models coming out early also has me worried that I will be driving a "2" year old car in less than 12 months. I guess if I plan to keep it for 10 years, it may not matter as much?

Man, still cannot make up my mind!
Old 09-10-2010 | 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mealto
Just had a chance to test drive a 2WD and the SH-AWD. For sure the AWD has better cornering, a much cleaner drive feel as opposed to the looser front wheel drive model. So my question is, the difference between the 2WD + Tech versus 4WD + Tech is about $6000 (includes all taxes). I love the AWD model but what are some of the cons for going with the AWD? I feel AWD:

- $6000 more expensive
- heavy and a little bit sluggish off the line (if I can call it that but i also found the 2WD heavy as well under braking; this is coming from a Gen 2 TL where pick up and breaking is pretty darn good)

Any one have any comments on the 2WD vs AWD? What the costs of servicing if one was to own the car for 10 year
I owned a SH-AWD TL for 18 months and no regrets, most fun to drive car I ever owned and it was an amazing handler ont he road, never felt like I was ever pushing it hard no matter what I threw at it. Rock solid tight and some of the best seats I have ever sat in. Sure I swapped out to a M37S, but he TL handled much better.
Old 09-10-2010 | 06:17 AM
Instructor

Correct, that is in USD. North of the border, it's more like $5K. Not only that, before discounts, MSRP is $48,490 for Tech + AWD versus $43,490 for 2WD + Tech.
If incentives are still in effect you can get the FWD Tech for well under $40K. I bought mine in May and have over 6000 km on it already. Love the car and the much improved ride over my 2006. That's why I stayed away from the SHAWD. Unless you are in a deep snow area the FWD will be more than adequate in winter weather.
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:09 AM
I feel strongly both ways

I was all set to buy the AWD car and then I took a test drive. It rides unbelievably hard. The jarring is ridiculous. The FWD car rides very firmly in spite of what some others here have said about its "floatly, soft" ride. All I can say is go for a spin in a 3 series or 5 series BMW. The ride is much more composed and compliant than even the FWD car. Compared to the AWD, the BMW feels like a feather pillow. And I believe it's fair to suggest that most would agree that the BMW's have mastered the art of the ride compliance/comfort vs. sporty equation. So yes, the AWD car rides VERY harshly. And it loses a great deal of power and agility because of its extra weight and drivetrain complexity. This results in a real world loss of about 3 mpg in daily driving. The leather and everything else about the cars is exactly the same. That is simply a function of whether you get the tech package. Do yourself a favor, save the ~$6000 unless you live in an area that gets a lot of snow. If you do, you may want to consider the AWD car, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I was all set to buy the AWD car and then I took a test drive. It rides unbelievably hard. The jarring is ridiculous. The FWD car rides very firmly in spite of what some others here have said about its "floatly, soft" ride. All I can say is go for a spin in a 3 series or 5 series BMW. The ride is much more composed and compliant than even the FWD car. Compared to the AWD, the BMW feels like a feather pillow. And I believe it's fair to suggest that most would agree that the BMW's have mastered the art of the ride compliance/comfort vs. sporty equation. So yes, the AWD car rides VERY harshly. And it loses a great deal of power and agility because of its extra weight and drivetrain complexity. This results in a real world loss of about 3 mpg in daily driving. The leather and everything else about the cars is exactly the same. That is simply a function of whether you get the tech package. Do yourself a favor, save the ~$6000 unless you live in an area that gets a lot of snow. If you do, you may want to consider the AWD car, otherwise I wouldn't even consider it.
I do not agree with some of what you say. I owned numerous Acura TL's since 04 and the AWD does loos power and MPG due to drivetrain and weight, but I foudn I lost maybe 1MPG compared to my 08 Type-S which was several hundred pounds lighter and 20 HP less. Also the ride is a matter of personal opinion and the roads you drive on. I drove on mostly good roads and found the ride nice, firm, but never punishing. And while many prasie BMW ride I did like it, but found it a little light. Every person has different tastes and opinions, so to the OP they should go drive both and see for themselves.
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:00 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Originally Posted by KeithL
I do not agree with some of what you say. I owned numerous Acura TL's since 04 and the AWD does loos power and MPG due to drivetrain and weight, but I foudn I lost maybe 1MPG compared to my 08 Type-S which was several hundred pounds lighter and 20 HP less. Also the ride is a matter of personal opinion and the roads you drive on. I drove on mostly good roads and found the ride nice, firm, but never punishing. And while many prasie BMW ride I did like it, but found it a little light. Every person has different tastes and opinions, so to the OP they should go drive both and see for themselves.
Good points Keith. And you are 100% correct. At the end of the day, it's what fits your needs and wants. And a good, long test drive over varied road surfaces should ultimately be the deciding factor.

Good post.
Old 09-10-2010 | 08:18 AM
Drifting

@petec2010, when you say the AWD saved your ass a few times, was it because you drove the car too hard and needed a miracle to get out of trouble or was it that AWD got you to work on time during a heavy snow storm? I always hear users with AWD say that their car saved their butts and wonder if they are just pushing their cars too hard. The last time I was in a tough situation (many years ago), what saved me was years of on-track training (race track) and quick thinking. This is a not a slag but I always wonder how AWD can save people otherwise. The better leather is from the tech package (as was told by the dealer), not AWD I believe.
It saved my ass in Canada actually. While we do get some pretty big storms in NE, I was in Canada and it got hit by some massive snow storm. I was blown away by how glued to the road my car was. I was behind a plow and couldn't see the road in front because the plow was blowing snow into the air so I had to get around it, the road was completely covered. Granted I have great winter tires, but was still blown away by how much control I had.

The ride in the AWD is stiffer, it's much more "sport" in sport sedan, but drive both and let that be your guide, as ride comfort is as subjective as looks.
Old 09-10-2010 | 10:44 AM
The Sicilian

When shopping for the TL we actually drove an 09 TL FWD w/Tech Package and the 19" Diamond Cut wheels and the full boday kit. It was a nice car.
But then we drove a 2010 TL AWD w/Tech Package and the 18" wheels and the 09 was actually more expensive that the 2010 TL.
Bottom line you have to see what kind of deal you can get and it depends on what region you live in. We really wanted the AWD for the Northeast winters.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by petec2010
The ride in the AWD is stiffer, it's much more "sport" in sport sedan, but drive both and let that be your guide, as ride comfort is as subjective as looks.
Agree completely, it's what makes it more of a sport sedan. One other thought: Now that I have about 5000 miles on my AWD, it feels a bit less stiff. Either I have adapted or, like most cars, the shocks loosen up a little with use.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Thanks very much for all the different feedback. This is helping alot. So to address some of the issues at hand, I have driven both and do feel the floaty feeling I get with the FWD and also noted the off the line "sluggishness" of the AWD (as compared to the FWD and Gen 2 TL). In fact, even the FWD felt sluggish compared to the Gen 2 TL, maybe the Gen 4 is just a heavier car with larger wheels?

We do get snow here a few times a year. Sometimes, it's nothing the current Gen 2 FWD cannot handle (as I do buy snow tires) and a few times, we just stayed home and waited for the roads to be plowed first.

I guess it comes down to if I really want the stiffer ride and incremental costs that come with AWD cars (gas, maintenance, replacement parts etc...). The bigger issue now is probably figuring out if I really want to own a 2 year old car when the 2012 comes out in less than 12 months! I am trying to tell myself that in 10 years time it won't matter. Will it?
Old 09-10-2010 | 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I drove the FWD 4gen and it didn't fill like a looser/floaty at all...Both are first rate platforms get the one that fits YOUR needs
Old 09-10-2010 | 05:50 PM
Drifting

Thanks very much for all the different feedback. This is helping alot. So to address some of the issues at hand, I have driven both and do feel the floaty feeling I get with the FWD and also noted the off the line "sluggishness" of the AWD (as compared to the FWD and Gen 2 TL). In fact, even the FWD felt sluggish compared to the Gen 2 TL, maybe the Gen 4 is just a heavier car with larger wheels?

We do get snow here a few times a year. Sometimes, it's nothing the current Gen 2 FWD cannot handle (as I do buy snow tires) and a few times, we just stayed home and waited for the roads to be plowed first.

I guess it comes down to if I really want the stiffer ride and incremental costs that come with AWD cars (gas, maintenance, replacement parts etc...). The bigger issue now is probably figuring out if I really want to own a 2 year old car when the 2012 comes out in less than 12 months! I am trying to tell myself that in 10 years time it won't matter. Will it?
Either 4G is heavier, especially the AWD and with more drivetrain lose too, plus they are not broken in and use a slightly thicker than normal factory oil for their first fill. They loosen up but should be faster even now once you get moving.

I wouldn't focus on the snow too much as FWD sounds like it will be adequate for you, especially with snow tires but it's really a matter of if you will enjoy the overall sportier aspect of the SH. If you do then it's worth it and I highly recommend the 6MT if it's fesible but the 5AT is more than good.

Otherwise, if SH is not necessary by any means, the FWD is essentially the same product at that point for what you will need it to do plus there's the price, gas and little extra maintenance aspect to it but I have to say I believe the 6MT can ahcieve the FWD 5AT type of mileage, as I regularly do much better than it's rated and most 6MT members have noted the same thing and we bought it because we tend to have heavier right feet in the first place.

As far as the 2012, it will be a two year wait before they come out with the next generation at that point, right now it will be a about a three year wait. If you plan to get the next gen at some point I don't think there is much of need to wait but if you plan to keep it for some time then consider waiting for an upgraded 2012 in the Spring.
Old 09-10-2010 | 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
I drove the FWD 4gen and it didn't fill like a looser/floaty at all...Both are first rate platforms get the one that fits YOUR needs
Exactly!! why does ANYONE say the base model is floaty? Acuras are sporty by nature!

The way i see it, most people on this forum want and like "sporty" cars, so naturally, most won't say either TL is firm (and even some saying the base is "floaty" and the shawd isn't firm enough).

Go to an average car buyer and ask if the TL is floaty. They'll probably use the word "compliant" or the like. Or go to a website that reviews cars for average car buyers like consumerguide, and you'll see that they're somewhat unbiased in their reviews of suspension/ride/noise. TL's are sporty no matter what you try to say.

I just got out of the base from a 80 mile ride (40 to and 40 from) on the hwy and it's not floaty at all, i can guarantee you that i felt and heard each and every bump through all 3 freeways. My late SHAWD was worse, every bump or noise was more pronounced. Nearly to the point where, on bad/broken roads, i'd need to raise my voice (though it's still far from jarring).

btw, those with the 6mt have different suspension tuning. It is actually quieter and smoother than the SHAWD auto, but not as quiet or smooth as the base.
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:05 PM
Racer

Nothing can describe the sheer joy of having the SH-AWD go through a corner and it begs for you to push the gas pedal down more...
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:21 PM
Drifting

^ Agree. You actually need to change your driving style with SH-AWD. When your brain says "brake" you've got to think "gas." Fun!

I also second the recommendation to consider the 6MT if it fits your needs. I don't think you'll feel any sluggishness off the line, and as someone mentioned, the steering algorithyms and suspension tuning are slightly different from the auto, but both (all, in fact) are fine cars.
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:33 PM
Racer

Just want to add that the SH-AWD is a performance based AWD system first and foremost. One perk is that it is also good in bad weather. Lets not forget this. I feel that this should be a big consideration no mater where you live. Just my .

I love the SH-AWD so much. It is going to be hard for whatever car I get next to trump.
Old 09-10-2010 | 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Exactly!! why does ANYONE say the base model is floaty? Acuras are sporty by nature!
Coming out of a Type-S the Base FWD 09 TL felt substantially more floaty and soft and lack of precision in the steering and handling. It is all what one is used to. That is why the 09 AWD was it for me or nothing from Acura.
Old 09-10-2010 | 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback. I wanted to clarify dates before getting to the AWD / FWD discussion if that is ok. I was under the impression that 2011 is almost out or out already and 2012 cars will hit the dealers in late Spring / Early Summer of 2011? This is in response to @winstrolvtec's post abotu 2010 being 2 years away. If next summer the 2012's are out, that means in 12 months time, a 2010 will be "2" years old, at least on paper right? Am I missing something?
Old 09-11-2010 | 02:03 AM
Drifting

The 11's should be slowly hitting the ground about now. This is the TL's usual model year release time. The 2012 will be getting some mid model cycle changes but as of now it's only rumored to be getting released in the spring/early summer instead, which can be anywhere from 3-6 months earlier than usual.

We really don't know what's going to happen but I would have thought the 2011's would be more available by now and they would have cut 2010 production earlier if they were to bring the 2012 early but neither has happened that I know of. They even just extended incentives for the 2010's this late so inventory is still decent on that model but don't take my word on it, it's just speculation on my part.

A 2010 would be 2 model years old as it is already a year old now but I don't think the potential few months early 2012 will hurt anything, the bigger concern would be to go with a 2010 or 2011 now. The 2011 is newer but the 2010 will be the better deal so it washes out. If you were to wait a while to get a better deal on a 2011 then you might as well wait for the 2012.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 09-11-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2010 | 03:42 AM
Banned

rumors say that 2012's will start selling around April. I say you wait and see what the update is like. You can always fall back on the year end 2011's in jan-march if you don't like the 2012's.
Old 09-11-2010 | 08:37 AM
Drifting

^This would be my standard advice too, but let me voice a contrarian view.

At some point, the economy is going to gain steam again - no one knows when.

It's currently an outstanding time to buy a car. If things pick up substantially in the economy in a year or two, the current deals available (on nearly all cars) will be a thing of the past. Likewise, as to the TL, if the MMC produces greater sales (as some here speculate it will), you likely won't be able to get a SH-AWD for under 38K.

If you really like the current car (and it sounds like you do), you might want to go and cut the best deal you can on a '10 (incentives still available) or an '11 (incentive picture unknown at this time).

Good luck, whatever you do.
Old 09-11-2010 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

Love the 4G AWD!

I absolutely love the AWD power and handling. As someone noted above...it's a performance based AWD rather than a weather advantage. From my research, the AWD has a sport tuned engine, suspension, steering, brakes (stronger which I love for quick stop and go), and if I'm not mistaken even different transmission settings.

I found it way more peppy than the fwd, the steering wheel feels awesome, and the ride is firm but not jarring. The awd really makes it feel well planted on the ground, with a solid kick with just a tap of the gas pedal. I stayed with the standard 18 in wheels as I was concerned the 19s would stiffen the ride too much.

The mid-model change coming up I think is really going to take the 'edge' off the aggressive bold look. IMHO the current model will remain better looking that the updated 2012.

All the best on your decision!
Old 09-11-2010 | 10:19 AM
Instructor

By the way also note the seats on the awd (mine is tech) with the threading are different and superior to the fwd with tech. They are not the same. They are very supportive and plush / softer.
Old 09-11-2010 | 12:41 PM
Intermediate

1. So can I confirm that the 2012 is due to hit the streets in late spring / early summer of 2011 right?

2. The design change is coming in 2012 right; 2011 still looks the same as 2010?

3. I am wondering if the 2011 deals will be good as well given a "new" look is coming out in 2012.

4. For owning the car for 10 yrs, what is the difference in maintenance / usage dollars between the AWD vs FWD?

5. Does that mean 2013 = Gen 5 new design?

Just a note, an AWD + Tech in Canada is priced at $50K. This is before incentives so it's not as low cost as in the US. Today, CAD is almost at par with the USD.
Old 09-11-2010 | 01:39 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

I was split originally, but I prefer the ride feel on the AWD, plus being in Colorado it's pretty helpful! When I decided I wanted the MT there wasn't any choice, anyway.

But, like several have said, it's all based on your own opinion. For me the extra $$$ was worth it.
Old 09-11-2010 | 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neilman
By the way also note the seats on the awd (mine is tech) with the threading are different and superior to the fwd with tech. They are not the same. They are very supportive and plush / softer.
the materials in the tech pkg (base or SHAWD) are the same. the difference is in the additional bolster support and the contrast stitching for the SHAWD.

I've owned both, i know.
Old 09-11-2010 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
the materials in the tech pkg (base or SHAWD) are the same. the difference is in the additional bolster support and the contrast stitching for the SHAWD.

I've owned both, i know.
I think you just confirmed the difference...thanks

I have back issues...and on test drives found the awd tech seats softer and the lumbar support not as stiff as the fwd tech.

Last edited by neilman; 09-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2010 | 02:55 PM
Instructor

Trunk space is less on AWD

Difference in mileage is about 1mpg less on the AWD...also, there's quite a difference in trunk space...the AWD has a hump that is not in the FWD...sliding a full size suit case in wheels first does not work on the AWD. You have the lift the back of the suitcase to place it over the hump...or put it sideways. I do a quite a few trips to the airport to pick / drop guests...and I have a bad back...so that part is a hassle.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 2WD and SH-AWD