Switchback Resistor OHMS. 6OHM or more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Switchback Resistor OHMS. 6OHM or more?

Alright, so this time I did a search on the forums, but I've gotten two different answers. A couple of people say that a 6OHM resistor would work fine, but it will heatup a bit. Some other people say that getting a 25OHM or 30OHM+ resistor would be better cause it won't heat up.

I'm at a cross road here. I just ordered the 60LED White-Amber Switchback bulb (1157) from here: http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html

But now I'm stuck on the resistor part.
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

They offer a couple of different options. The standard 6OHM one, and a 25OHM one as well. (The two which I'm interested in).

After looking at 4-5 different topics on here, I'm still unsure of which ones would be optimal. I don't mind extra heat, but I don't want them to "melt" either. I do drive alot, I make a 1200 mile round trip every 2 months, where I don't stop at all (maybe one or two 10 minute bathroom and food stops). I don't know if this would have an effect on the heat-output.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Alright, so this time I did a search on the forums, but I've gotten two different answers. A couple of people say that a 6OHM resistor would work fine, but it will heatup a bit. Some other people say that getting a 25OHM or 30OHM+ resistor would be better cause it won't heat up.

I'm at a cross road here. I just ordered the 60LED White-Amber Switchback bulb (1157) from here: http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html

But now I'm stuck on the resistor part.
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

They offer a couple of different options. The standard 6OHM one, and a 25OHM one as well. (The two which I'm interested in).

After looking at 4-5 different topics on here, I'm still unsure of which ones would be optimal. I don't mind extra heat, but I don't want them to "melt" either. I do drive alot, I make a 1200 mile round trip every 2 months, where I don't stop at all (maybe one or two 10 minute bathroom and food stops). I don't know if this would have an effect on the heat-output.
The purpose of the resistor is for current-limiting, to avoid burning out the string. Longer strings of LEDs (more LEDs in the string) require a lower resistor value, so prudent thinking would be to start out with as high of a resistor value as you can and still have the LED string work, i.e., 25 ohms. If it works, then leave it. If the LEDs seem dim, then go to a lower resistor value, but don't ever remove the resistor completely unless you have $ to throw away on burned out LEDs.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
The purpose of the resistor is for current-limiting, to avoid burning out the string. Longer strings of LEDs (more LEDs in the string) require a lower resistor value, so prudent thinking would be to start out with as high of a resistor value as you can and still have the LED string work, i.e., 25 ohms. If it works, then leave it. If the LEDs seem dim, then go to a lower resistor value, but don't ever remove the resistor completely unless you have $ to throw away on burned out LEDs.
I thought resistors for turn signals were for hyper flashing. The LED bulbs don't draw as much power, and the resistors would simulate a normal filament bulb, to regulate the turn signal flashing.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Pro

Any updates?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Any updates?
Hello Blaze9 here is a right up i did for Vled on how to install the switchbacks. I have had no issues since install. I do have a doc with pictures if you need it send a pm with your email

Hope this helps

Vehicle: 2009 Acura TL SHAWD
n
Accessory installed: V-leds Turn Signal Switchbacks type 2

Tools Required: Flat Head, Pliers, Self tapping screws

Must haves: LED Bulbs from V-leds and two 6 ohm resistors

To access the bulb on the front signal, you are able to remove the front bottom grill housing.

To remove the grill, you must go underneath the vehicle. You don't have to remove the skid plates you will have access to the back of this assembly. There will be plastic clips that are holding this together. You will need to push on the tabs. Once all tabs are pushed you will be able to remove the grill piece and now have access to the turn signal wiring.

Once the girl is removed you can now add the resistors to tie into the stock turn signal wiring. The resistors are need to stop hyper flashing.

The resistor will have two wires that will need to spliced into the factory wiring for the passenger side you will use the provided blue splice clips to tap into

Passenger side: GREEN and BLACK

Driver Side:BLUE and BLACK

I ordered the resistors in the casing as it will help dissipate the heat. I mounted the resistors on the bumper reinforcement. Do not use double sided tape because once the resistor warms up it will stop sticking. I used zip ties to secure it to the back of the front bumper.

Once all wiring is compete test the bulb out before putting back together. Once tested and ready for reassembly. To reinstall the grill line up each clip with its hole and slide firmly back in.