SH-AWD Revisited....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
This statement conflicts with the opinion of nearly every financial professional. If one wants a new vehicle every two years, then leasing is the best option. However, if one wants to minimize the amount spent on cars, the best option is to buy and own for at least six years. Leasing guarantees a state of perpetual car payments.
I disagree with this. you have mileage limits on leases that prevent many that do more than say 15K miles a year to get a good lease deal. Also, unless you can write off a lease due to business reasons there is no advantage. My philosophy is to buy a used car at a very good price then sell in 2-3 years. I loose less value this way and can still flip cars like Keith does. It costs a lot less out of pocket buying pre-owned as a lot of depreciation has taken place.

Keith, you and I are a lot alike as it relates to buying cars. I get the itch about every 2 years. However, I don't think you will get me or anyone to believe that you can buy a new car and sell it 6months, 1 year, or 2 years later for more than what you paid. I think what you are saying is you buy a new car for say $32k, put down $5k and then sell for the difference $27k or more when you are ready to sell . Therefore, you spend $5k plus taxes and insurance and finance charges.

I get interest free loans at work and my costs my car payments are pre-taxed so my only outlay is truly the difference is purchase price and sales price. Works for me to buy and sell all i want with the key being buy low and sell/trade for the most you can get.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
I disagree with this. you have mileage limits on leases that prevent many that do more than say 15K miles a year to get a good lease deal. Also, unless you can write off a lease due to business reasons there is no advantage. My philosophy is to buy a used car at a very good price then sell in 2-3 years. I loose less value this way and can still flip cars like Keith does. It costs a lot less out of pocket buying pre-owned as a lot of depreciation has taken place.

Keith, you and I are a lot alike as it relates to buying cars. I get the itch about every 2 years. However, I don't think you will get me or anyone to believe that you can buy a new car and sell it 6months, 1 year, or 2 years later for more than what you paid. I think what you are saying is you buy a new car for say $32k, put down $5k and then sell for the difference $27k or more when you are ready to sell . Therefore, you spend $5k plus taxes and insurance and finance charges.

I get interest free loans at work and my costs my car payments are pre-taxed so my only outlay is truly the difference is purchase price and sales price. Works for me to buy and sell all i want with the key being buy low and sell/trade for the most you can get.

Nope, what I do is fully finance the car, I get a really good deal up front, usually invoice or below invoice with incentive and then 6-12 months later I advertise it for what I still owe. My first 08 I got for liek $33.5K + taxes which is already almost $6K under MSRP so after 8 months I'm down to about $31K left and and advetise it for such. Many people look at say WOW $39K car with only 8K miles for $31K and call. So many people don't know how to buy a car. They don't know much about incentives (that are not publicly advertised) or invoice pricing. Additionally in Georgia we don't pay sales tax on private sale, so that is liek another $1800 in savings for a potential buyer.
It also does nto hurt that the TL has incredible resale value and I am sinlge and am OCD obsessive about keeping my cars mint. I have had more than one buyer compant on how many cars they looked at they were supposed to be in "good" or "mint" condition only to find they were dirty, worn and not well kept. 3 of my 5 TLs I sold within a week, and this one due to bad economy took 8 -9 weeks.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Nope, what I do is fully finance the car, I get a really good deal up front, usually invoice or below invoice with incentive and then 6-12 months later I advertise it for what I still owe. My first 08 I got for liek $33.5K + taxes which is already almost $6K under MSRP so after 8 months I'm down to about $31K left and and advetise it for such. Many people look at say WOW $39K car with only 8K miles for $31K and call. So many people don't know how to buy a car. They don't know much about incentives (that are not publicly advertised) or invoice pricing. Additionally in Georgia we don't pay sales tax on private sale, so that is liek another $1800 in savings for a potential buyer.
It also does nto hurt that the TL has incredible resale value and I am sinlge and am OCD obsessive about keeping my cars mint. I have had more than one buyer compant on how many cars they looked at they were supposed to be in "good" or "mint" condition only to find they were dirty, worn and not well kept. 3 of my 5 TLs I sold within a week, and this one due to bad economy took 8 -9 weeks.
Got it now. The part that threw me is when you keep saying you never loose money. You are losing money but in your opinion not much. Your still losing the difference in what you finance PLUS the interest you are paying. This is not chump change unless you are at 0% interest on all your purchases and if you are buying Acura's not likely. In my situation I can finance at 0% with my employer on any car, have my car payments taken out pre-tax and my outlay is substantially less than your method. We do the same thing though and that is enjoy a different car every couple of years. I should preface when I say I buy pre-owned. I look for 1-2 year old cars that are good deals, low miles and I am willing to travel to get a good deal.