Seat Belt Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Belt Warning

Well I just picked up my new, 09, white, TL - Tech and all was good in the world until....

Bing bing bing....

Please god tell me there is a way to de-activate the seat belt warning chime that never stops.....
Old 05-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced

.....put on your seat belt??

not a bad thing you know
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
^ werd.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Disabling any such thing is illegal.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Advanced

I meant putting on your seatbelt isn't a bad thing
Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Fasten your belt bud. Its not a bad thing. The noise is annoying for just that reason. Just my
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuM49mKOiyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSBgd7gyN0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvY2mCZE2o... outch

you can't be serious, right?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
okay I think we covered that now
Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that last one was brutal. Thanks =)
Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Its not illegal....Give me a break. Most cars allow the dealer to program the warning on or off.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Disabling any such thing is illegal.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice but I am sure a few of you smoke, or drink, or eat fatty foods and I won't bother going into details how that isn't good for you.

So back to the question. Does anyone know of a way to deactivate the seat belt warning chime?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Well the chime itself is based upon the seat belt sensor's input. So don't try messing with that or you'll have SRS issues. Thats why no one wants to touch this issue. Liability.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WindyCityGirl
Well I just picked up my new, 09, white, TL - Tech and all was good in the world until....

Bing bing bing....

Please god tell me there is a way to de-activate the seat belt warning chime that never stops.....
Geez, I cannot believe this is a question being asked by an adult. You may not get your answer because it's a moronic question unless you get the response you want from another moron.

My advise is to avoid the "bing bing bing" sound just put your seat belt on.

----------------
Listening to: Beck - The New Pollution
via FoxyTunes
Old 05-10-2009, 08:34 PM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy a seatbelt buckle and keep it inserted. Problem solved.

It's your choice but I agree with the others. You really should wear your seatbelt at all times
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Moron? Kind of harsh don't you think? And I am sorry but did I post a question as to your opinion on if I wear a seat belt or not?

We live in a society where people can make their own decisions, and to the extent they don't endanger others, it should be none of your business. Do you walk up to strangers on the street who smoke and insult them as well? What about people on motorcycles without helmets, do you flag them down so you can attempt to enforce you own choice on others? What about bike riders without helmets? Do you pull out your badge and press your views on them?

Do us all a favor and if you can;t reply to the question asked in the post, move on.

Originally Posted by JAB00
Geez, I cannot believe this is a question being asked by an adult. You may not get your answer because it's a moronic question unless you get the response you want from another moron.

My advise is to avoid the "bing bing bing" sound just put your seat belt on.

----------------
Listening to: Beck - The New Pollution
via FoxyTunes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Addicted to boobs

its not illegal to smoke...if they are over the age of 18 in most states its not illegal to go without a helmet... its not illegal to eat fatty foods...

....But it is illegal to not wear a seat belt. Im not saying everyone on this board is perfect.. but asking a question like that is pretty stupid.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Ok fine lets stay focused on traffic laws. Do you flag down speeders? What about people who run red lights? Chase them down because you somehow were appointed Jr Policeman? I bet you print up your own parking tickets and place them on illegally parked cars huh?

The point is nobody asked for anyones views/opinions on wearing seat belts. It was a very simple question - so as I said in the prior post save your preaching for a post where someone cares, and either respond to the question asked or move on.

Originally Posted by Msgburner
its not illegal to smoke...if they are over the age of 18 in most states its not illegal to go without a helmet... its not illegal to eat fatty foods...

....But it is illegal to not wear a seat belt. Im not saying everyone on this board is perfect.. but asking a question like that is pretty stupid.

Last edited by WindyCityGirl; 05-10-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

By the way your avatar is very offensive to me as a woman. Putting something like that up there, with a crude boob refrence is pretty stupid as well.

Originally Posted by Msgburner

Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

The point is nobody asked for anyones views/opinions on wearing seat belts. It was a very simple question - so as I said in the prior post save your preaching for a post where someone cares, and either respond to the question asked or move on.
We responded to your questions.

Its illegal, its stupid and quite frankly I doubt anyone wants to be liable.

If you don't like what we have to say, too bad. You asked a question and got the expected answers.

Still don't like it, you can always moved to New Hampshire, the one and only state where you have the ability to be as stupid as you wish when it comes to seatbelts.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

I actually live in New Hampshire where, as you point out, it is a drives choice to wear a seatbelt or not. Again I have no interest in explaing myself to you.

So move on...

If you don't like what we have to say, too bad. You asked a question and got the expected answers.

Still don't like it, you can always moved to New Hampshire, the one and only state where you have the ability to be as stupid as you wish when it comes to seatbelts.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I actually live in New Hampshire where, as you point out, it is a drives choice to wear a seatbelt or not. Again I have no interest in explaing myself to you.

So move on...
Well great, I lived there for 16 years so I'm well aware of the 'mentality' of not wearing one. Its also against federal law to tamper with a car's safety devices.

You've explained plenty already. I've explained plenty too. Most likely the only way to defeat the chiming is through either putting the passenger buckle into the driver's receptacle. Anything else is going to affect the SRS system.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

It is not a federal law to modify a cars seat belt warning system.

Check your facts.

And maybe start doing your job as a moderator and require that legitimate posts stay on topic and not allow posts from people who personally attack members of this forum.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or Massachusetts or Rhode Island, neither states have the seatbelt law YET. WindyCityGirl, I don't have my TL yet but most cars nowadays will chime for a while but after a couple of minutes the chimes subside. Like I said this is just a stab in the dark. Or you can try and order a seat belt from your Acura dealership and cut the strap off and put it into the fastner. Thats all I can think of.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Senior Moderator

It is not a federal law to modify a cars seat belt warning system.

Check your facts.

And maybe start doing your job as a moderator and require that legitimate posts stay on topic and not allow posts from people who personally attack members of this forum.
I don't need you of all people to tell me what to do with this forum.

You asked a stupid question, you'll get some tough love. Thats how things work in life.

I am keeping it on topic. If they go overboard, I'll handle it.

As for the federal law, it IS forbidden for a dealership to do this. An individual can do so at the risk of getting into hot water with their insurance company.

As for state law, you'll want to check up on that, especially if you think you may be moving during the lifetime of the vehicle. You might have to reconnect whatever it is you did.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Nice to know there are other states that have decided people have rights to choose on how they live their life when those choices don't harm others. People make a lot of decisions every day that I would not make for safety reasons (ride motorcycles, skydive, or possess and use guns) but the last thing I would ever do is force my personal choice on others (obviously inconsistent with members of this forum including the moderators).

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Or Massachusetts or Rhode Island, neither states have the seatbelt law YET. WindyCityGirl, I don't have my TL yet but most cars nowadays will chime for a while but after a couple of minutes the chimes subside. Like I said this is just a stab in the dark. Or you can try and order a seat belt from your Acura dealership and cut the strap off and put it into the fastner. Thats all I can think of.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Oh so the fact that dealerships wont do this for liability reasons means it's a federal law. I practice law for a living and you really have your facts messed up.

And so I understand you are telling me that the policies of this forum support "tough love" meaning forcing your views on people even though state law supports my choice.

Wow....good to know. I will make sure I bring that to the attention of the soponsors of this forum.

I don't need you of all people to tell me what to do with this forum.

You asked a stupid question, you'll get some tough love. Thats how things work in life.

I am keeping it on topic. If they go overboard, I'll handle it.

As for the federal law, it IS forbidden for a dealership to do this. An individual can do so at the risk of getting into hot water with their insurance company.

As for state law, you'll want to check up on that, especially if you think you may be moving during the lifetime of the vehicle. You might have to reconnect whatever it is you did.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

people who don't wear seatbelts drive up insurance costs (hospital, auto) for everyone. so it does harm others to not wear one. because you practice law for a living, you should know this.

aside from that, i thought it was only people from france that didn't wear them anymore.

ps. we're not a free society; the US probably has more laws than any other country. many of our laws are to keep insurance costs down.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh so the fact that dealerships wont do this for liability reasons means it's a federal law. I practice law for a living and you really have your facts messed up.

And so I understand you are telling me that the policies of this forum support "tough love" meaning forcing your views on people even though state law supports my choice.

Wow....good to know. I will make sure I bring that to the attention of the soponsors of this forum.

You practice law?

Which law firm? I'd like to have a discussion with them.

Oh and please DO bring this thread to the attention of the "Soponsors", I'm sure they'll get a good chuckle.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car was just released. What makes you think people would know this or even have an interest in doing it. What is your interest in this?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Intermediate

So do people who smoke, drink, eat too much red meat and salt. Maybe we should put laws into place to stop all of that as well huh? There are a LOT of things people do every single day that increase costs to others. Fortunately we live in free country where people have rights.

Originally Posted by miketala
people who don't wear seatbelts drive up insurance costs (hospital, auto) for everyone. so it does harm others to not wear one. because you practice law for a living, you should know this.

aside from that, i thought it was only people from france that didn't wear them anymore.

ps. we're not a free society; the US probably has more laws than any other country. many of our laws are to keep insurance costs down.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator

49 U.S.C. 30122(b) “A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard…unless the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used when the device or element is inoperative.”

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...301.html#30122.

You've been outlawyered
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

My firm is candidly none of your business (much as is my decision to wear, or not wear, a seat belt). Your clever pickup of my typo is very good, were you a debater in college?

You practice law?

Which law firm? I'd like to have a discussion with them.

Oh and please DO bring this thread to the attention of the "Soponsors", I'm sure they'll get a good chuckle.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

My firm is candidly none of your business (much as is my decision to wear, or not wear, a seat belt). Your clever pickup of my typo is very good, were you a debater in college?
Hey if you're going to tell us something that is patently false and ILLEGAL I want to know which firm you represent.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

State courts have rulled in numerous cases that modifications to a vehicle's design where such modifications are in accordance with the applicable state laws do not fall under 301122(b) and these rulings have been supported by federal court. These "modifications" have varied from modification of rear view mirror systems to TMPS systems on after market tires.

Nice try.

Why don't you go and try to impose your personal views on the masses somewhere else. Maybe go block the entrance to an abortion clinic and try to force a rape victim to birth the child of her attacker. You seem they type.

49 U.S.C. 30122(b) “A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard…unless the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used when the device or element is inoperative.”

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...301.html#30122.

You've been outlawyered
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

LOL. Like you have a clue what you are talking about...

Tell you what. Give me the name of the company you work for because I want to know what business would hire such an ill-informed, narrow minded, controlling person.

Hey if you're going to tell us something that is patently false and ILLEGAL I want to know which firm you represent.

Last edited by WindyCityGirl; 05-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Keep insurance costs down, and promote the billion dollar industry that is traffic ticketing, serve and protect my ass.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

State courts have rulled in numerous cases that modifications to a vehicle's design where such modifications are in accordance with the applicable state laws do not fall under 301122(b) and these rulings have been supported by federal court. These "modifications" have varied from modification of rear view mirror systems to TMPS systems on after market tires.

Nice try.

Why don't you go and try to impose your personal views on the masses somewhere else. Maybe go block the entrance to an abortion clinic and try to force a rape victim to birth the child of her attacker. You seem they type.
Nice try, I'm not that type no matter how hard you wish I was.

And what state allows you to tamper with seat belts?

We're not talking about TPMS sensors or rear view mirrors.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator

LOL. Like you have a clue what you are talking about...

Tell you what. Give me the name of the company you work for because I want to know what business would hire such an ill-informed, narrow minded, controlling person.

The US Navy, now go get a life.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Any state that doesn't mandate the use of seatbelts.

Nice try, I'm not that type no matter how hard you wish I was.

And what state allows you to tamper with seat belts?

We're not talking about TPMS sensors or rear view mirrors.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Any state that doesn't mandate the use of seatbelts.
Yes and there is only one, thats New Hampshire. Tampering with a safety device is still illegal even if its use isn't mandated in a certain state.

You aren't posting from New Hampshire, instead you are posting this from Chicago. I question if you even have anything to do with NH.

This has gone long enough. You have our opinions and you have the facts. I'm considering this locked before it gets too off topic.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Warning