Returning and repurchasing extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning and repurchasing extended warranty?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a '09 TL SH-AWD Tech Pkg and had a silly question.

When I purchased the car, I opted for the 7 year / 100k extended warranty with $0 deductible. I paid $1500, which is a bit high after researching online, but hey that's life, I'm at peace with that. What irks me is that the only reason I even picked up the warranty at the time of purchase is because the finance manager told me that the $0 deductible warranty is only available during closing. According to him, any extended warranty purchased later on would have a $100 deductible. That sounded fishy to me but I stupidly believed him. After researching the matter online I know my suspicions were right and that it was an outright lie.

So here's the deal. I purchased the car only a month ago and still have time within the 60 day "grace period" to get a full refund for the extended warranty. But I plan to keep the car for a while and would of course still like to have extended coverage.

Does anyone know if it's possible to return my current warranty (AcuraCare) for a refund and then purchase a new one (also AcuraCare) online? Or would this cause some kind of known conflict?

Thanks for reading my long post and for any information. Cheers
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Advanced

I also have the same problem! I purchased the car last month and the finance manager said the 7 yr / 100k usually costs $2000, and she would give it to me for $1600. I happily took it, but after 2 weeks, I thought it was a bit expensive so I decided to call them to cancel. They were nice about it and faxed me a cancellation form and sent me back a check.

I am also planning to keep the car for many years. Is this warranty really important since it only covers mechanical and electrical problems? Does anyone know if it is easy to add extended warranty, let's say after 2-3 years of driving?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ayuandmi
I also have the same problem! I purchased the car last month and the finance manager said the 7 yr / 100k usually costs $2000, and she would give it to me for $1600. I happily took it, but after 2 weeks, I thought it was a bit expensive so I decided to call them to cancel. They were nice about it and faxed me a cancellation form and sent me back a check.

I am also planning to keep the car for many years. Is this warranty really important since it only covers mechanical and electrical problems? Does anyone know if it is easy to add extended warranty, let's say after 2-3 years of driving?
You have to purchase the extended warranty before your original 4yr/50k mile warranty is up. It gets more expensive the longer you wait.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced

In my humble opinion it makes sense not to purchase an extended warranty at all. The only reason they are selling it to you is because they think, after having done a ton of number crunching, that they can make money off the deal, at your expense. The odds are not in your favour; you're probably better off putting the money you would have spent aside, or investing it. Also remember that you have purchased a quality product!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxcisa
In my humble opinion it makes sense not to purchase an extended warranty at all. The only reason they are selling it to you is because they think, after having done a ton of number crunching, that they can make money off the deal, at your expense. The odds are not in your favour; you're probably better off putting the money you would have spent aside, or investing it. Also remember that you have purchased a quality product!
Well I think they are banking more on you not keeping the car 7 years.
I always keep cars past the original warranty and with my old Acura CL-S I'm glad I had the extended warranty
Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
If you want to do this, be sure to do it before your car reaches 6k miles!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
You have to purchase the extended warranty before your original 4yr/50k mile warranty is up. It gets more expensive the longer you wait.
Actually it starts getting more expensive once you get beyond 6k miles. That's the point where you no longer get the new sale pricing.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeDude
Hi all,

I recently purchased a '09 TL SH-AWD Tech Pkg and had a silly question.

When I purchased the car, I opted for the 7 year / 100k extended warranty with $0 deductible. I paid $1500, which is a bit high after researching online, but hey that's life, I'm at peace with that. What irks me is that the only reason I even picked up the warranty at the time of purchase is because the finance manager told me that the $0 deductible warranty is only available during closing. According to him, any extended warranty purchased later on would have a $100 deductible. That sounded fishy to me but I stupidly believed him. After researching the matter online I know my suspicions were right and that it was an outright lie.

So here's the deal. I purchased the car only a month ago and still have time within the 60 day "grace period" to get a full refund for the extended warranty. But I plan to keep the car for a while and would of course still like to have extended coverage.

Does anyone know if it's possible to return my current warranty (AcuraCare) for a refund and then purchase a new one (also AcuraCare) online? Or would this cause some kind of known conflict?

Thanks for reading my long post and for any information. Cheers
Yes you can but I think the amount you would get back would be about the same amount you would need to repurchase on-line (my 8 year, 120K miles and 0 deductible was about 1,350.00 last year. The went up almost 100.00). I think you already lost the savings.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Advanced

I did exactly this earlier in the year, but it was a huge headache. To make a long, long story short I cancelled my dealer contract and bought one online. You can do it! I saved $700 in the process.

My dealer was stupid and took 2+ months to get the refund back to me. In that process they cancelled my internet contract which Acura re-instated for me.

I kept my 2G TL for 10 years, and I'll probably do the same with this one. Plus I think the warranty transfers to the next owner if you do a private sale. Give all the high tech gizmos on the car I think the $1205 I spent is worth the peace of mind. While I never had a costly repair on my 99TL, it wasn't loaded up with tons of high tech stuff that could break.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
I agree with the fact that more electronic gizmos make the waranty more worth it.
That's why I bought it for my 3G TL even if it's not as loaded as your cars.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I did exactly this earlier in the year, but it was a huge headache. To make a long, long story short I cancelled my dealer contract and bought one online. You can do it! I saved $700 in the process.

My dealer was stupid and took 2+ months to get the refund back to me. In that process they cancelled my internet contract which Acura re-instated for me.

I kept my 2G TL for 10 years, and I'll probably do the same with this one. Plus I think the warranty transfers to the next owner if you do a private sale. Give all the high tech gizmos on the car I think the $1205 I spent is worth the peace of mind. While I never had a costly repair on my 99TL, it wasn't loaded up with tons of high tech stuff that could break.
Nice, thanks, I'm going to give this a try. Do you mind if I ask how the dealer cancelled your Internet contract and how you got it reinstated?

I'm not 100% decided yet but am leaning toward buying another one from a different dealer later on down the line. The main gripe I have at this point is that the dealer I purchased mine from wasn't honest about when the $0 deductible warranty could be purchased. They consciously lied about it in order to close the sale on the spot. Any cost savings reaped from repurchasing the contract later would obviously be great too but frankly it's mainly because I don't want to reward slimey business practices.

Thanks for anything you can share.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SomeDude
Nice, thanks, I'm going to give this a try. Do you mind if I ask how the dealer cancelled your Internet contract and how you got it reinstated?

I'm not 100% decided yet but am leaning toward buying another one from a different dealer later on down the line. The main gripe I have at this point is that the dealer I purchased mine from wasn't honest about when the $0 deductible warranty could be purchased. They consciously lied about it in order to close the sale on the spot. Any cost savings reaped from repurchasing the contract later would obviously be great too but frankly it's mainly because I don't want to reward slimey business practices.

Thanks for anything you can share.
The dealer sent in a cancellation request to Acura, but the dealer never registered their warranty with Acura. So Acura was a bit careless and just cancelled the active contact which was from the internet purchase. I called Acura and they had a record of who cancelled it and saw it wasn't the same dealer that I bought it from. So they happily re-instated the contract. Acura should have been more careful about just cancelling any old contract when the price, dealer, and contract # didn't match.