Remote start Frustrating problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 09:42 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start Frustrating problem

I have had a remote start installed in my 2012 TL. Works great except when I start the remotely, open door shuts off (normal) and I press dash start button to restart mostly within 10 minutes of driving the dashboard lights start to flicker and message center says car may not start if i shut it off. It was installed by the guy who does the installs for the dealers. That company has been out of business. Its an Automate (dealer installed unit) remote start only same company as Viper (Directed) Years ago I called the installer he said there is a software upgrade, because he was far away I felt I would do it at a later date. I'm a idiot for waiting. Now I can't find anyone that knows what I am talking about !!! Including here, Directed Electronics. Anyone know what I am talking about and a solution. I am getting older and now fears start to enter my mind !!! Thanks, Dennis
Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denniss516
I have had a remote start installed in my 2012 TL. Works great except when I start the remotely, open door shuts off (normal) and I press dash start button to restart mostly within 10 minutes of driving the dashboard lights start to flicker and message center says car may not start if i shut it off. It was installed by the guy who does the installs for the dealers. That company has been out of business. Its an Automate (dealer installed unit) remote start only same company as Viper (Directed) Years ago I called the installer he said there is a software upgrade, because he was far away I felt I would do it at a later date. I'm a idiot for waiting. Now I can't find anyone that knows what I am talking about !!! Including here, Directed Electronics. Anyone know what I am talking about and a solution. I am getting older and now fears start to enter my mind !!! Thanks, Dennis
Hey Dennis,

This is a "known issue" with Directed's interface. There are two schools of thought on the matter:

1) wait a few seconds between the r/s shut down (door open as you mention) and starting the vehicle with the push button - the latest Directed DS4 install guide for this vehicle contains this note: "Wait at least 2 seconds before restarting the engine or an error message can appear in the vehicle information display."

2) replace Directed's interface with one from either iDataLink or Fortin - which are not known to have this issue.

- Chris