Recommendations on Window Tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by EazyRider562
Hey guys thanks for the comments and recommendations, I'm getting my car tinted this weekend. Estimate is approximately $200, right off the 110 freeway where I live... WIN WIN!
where is this place at? what kind of tint is it? brand? and how is the warranty?

name of place?

i got all my windows tinted for 140 with lifetime warranty at california tint.

200 seems alittle steep for tint to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy

By the way, I am a tinting dummy and do not know what the % numbers mean. Is a lower number a darker tinting (seems counter-intuitive but maybe the number reflects the amount of light that is allowed to pass through)?

Thanks.

yes, when i say 17% it means only 17% light will pass through.

my tint is so dark, i cant even see out of my windows to look at my side mirrors to back out at night.. have to roll it down lol..
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
thats not how it works here in california..

if you get a ticket, you pay for it and not fix it.. the next time around you get a ticket for the same thing, it doubles.. then again and again
I've heard that here in Alberta, if they pull you over for the tint, they're just as likely to pull out a razor blade and force you to remove on the spot. They don't care if you get it all, just that you make it look bad enough that they know you'll get it all taken off when you get home.

Up until recently, the local police didn't care about tint...it was just the mounties (if you left the city). That seems to be changing now that they're enforcing the distracted driving legislation. I was sure I was getting a ticket last weekend...had a cop behind me, so I felt comfortable that he couldn't see my front windows, but then the light changed, and I figured I was done for as soon as he pulled up beside me. Interestingly, he didn't pull up to the stop line, but stopped short on my passenger side, just behind me. In retrospect, I believe he was running my plate to decide whether I was worth ticketing. Either way, no ticket that day.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I don't think i've ever been in a car nor had one with ceramic tint. I'll have to try it.
I've had the HO ceramic tint on my 1G TSX for over 6 years now in the Houston TX sun and heat and it looks like the day it was installed. It is very optically clear and the heat rejection is great. It is by far the best tint I've ever had on any car. And the ceramic material vice metallic will not interfere with the GPS antenna which on the TSX is on the rear shelf. Yes it is pricey and when I had it installed there was only one authorized dealer here in Houston ($$$) but it was worth it. I'll put it on my next car. But thankfully there are now more dealers.

I lived in Hermosa Bch for 4 years and never tinted my car (E46 coupe at the time). Never needed it and no tint on the drivers/passengers windows is legal in CA. In Hermosa Bch the cops look for any reason to pull you over looking for drunk drivers. It was not worth it. I once did a 'Californina roll' through a stop sign at a remote intersection late at night, not another car to be seen, and I was stopped and got a field sobriety test. Didn't have a drink, he was just fishing for DWIs.

On the other hand I will NOT get Venture Tape clear bra again. It cannot stand up and the second one is failing.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 02-11-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
I have the Pinnacle F1 ceramic tint and i am very happy with it,visability at night is extremely clear even with the 30% that i have.