View Poll Results: Which one should he go for?
Acura TL SH-AWD
79.17%
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X MR Touring
12.50%
Neither
8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Recommendation to a friend

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recommendation to a friend

A friend of mind is close to making a final decision on which car he is going to get. After letting him test drive my FWD and going to an Acura dealer to test drive a SH-AWD. He was very impressed with the SH-AWD handling and the interior but was a bit turned off by the beak (Who isn't when they first look at the car). I told him he'd eventually love it but he's still a little bit off by it. I even told him about the RJ option and still his mind hasen't changed. His other option was a 2010 Lancer Evolution MR. He loved it in almost every way except he feel's that the Tl's interior is superior to the Evo's. We talked about it and he'll take my recommendation serouisly. I don't want to steer him the wrong way and make him regret it later. He has final say obviously. What do you guy's think?

2010 Acura Tl SH-AWD with Tech
Crystal Black Pearl
Umber Interior
Wheel Lock's
Sport Package B which includes
the Midnight Chrome Grille
the underbody spoiler
and the 19 Diamond Cut wheels

Which equal's to an MSRP of 48,544 accoring to the Acura website.

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR Touring
Wicked White
Black Leather
Navigation System
Leather Parking Brake
Leather Shift Knob
Front Air Dam
Front Brake Guides
Front Strut Brace
Rear Air Dams
Rear Spoiler
Rear Strut Brace
Side Skirts
Wheel Locks

According to the Mitsubishi website that's 47,574
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
This obsession with the front end borders on mind-numbing. I heard the same complaints from C6 drivers who hate the orange DRL's. I'll tell you the same thing I told them ... after picking up my C6 from the Museum, I put over 2600 miles on it on the trip home with a detour via Texas. Not once while driving the car did I ever see my DRL's. Same applies to the TL, which just passed the 17.8K mark today after 7 months of ownership. The view from behind the wheel is pretty impressive.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I didn't know the Evo had a touring model now?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was released with the 2010 model.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL all the way!!! I think Evo is nice but still kind of a ricer car....
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly feel that the TL is more for the mature consumers. One who does not care what others think of what they have. They are smart with their $$$ and most of all, independent thinkers. Not to say that the Evo is for imature consumers. It just caters to the younger crowd and what their friends think.

Tell your friend to just buy what he feels right without over thinking. He can always sell it and buy something else later.

GL
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
If he's 19 like you, then get the Mitsubishi... I mean really the TL is a beast of a car, I can't image I would want this if I was his age. Great for hauling kids and clients around. But if I were 19, I'd want something small and fast (that Evo fits the bill).

I'd love an Evo, but being over the age of 25, it just doesn't work for me. Too young of a car for me.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Yowza, how surprising to find a TL winning a poll in a TL section :P

Is he looking to buy soon or can he wait a year?

Also, have him look into the S60 T6 AWD, the 2011. That thing looks like it could be great.

If you're going to spend nearly 50 grand the classic 335i xDrive is always a great option.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by nsxtl
I honestly feel that the TL is more for the mature consumers. One who does not care what others think of what they have. They are smart with their $$$ and most of all, independent thinkers. Not to say that the Evo is for imature consumers. It just caters to the younger crowd and what their friends think.

Tell your friend to just buy what he feels right without over thinking. He can always sell it and buy something else later.

GL
+1 on the TL buyer profile

If it's one thing I've learned, think about your choices carefully, but don't OVERTHINK. Excessive thinking tends to lead to the wrong choice (ask me how I know).
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How does a 19 year old afford a $47K+ car?!

When I was 19, I had to work 3 jobs (and go to school) just to afford a $5K beater.

But hey, if you're young and successful, more power to you!

I agree with some of the earlier posts....I think the TL is too "old" for a 19 y.o.......EVO, WRX, Audi TT, Camaro, Mustang GT are better alternatives. If you're a single guy and don't carpool a lot, no need to get a sedan.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

And to answer the question I think this is a hard comparison. This is like comparing an M3 and an E-Class....
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Are we assuming his friend is 19 based on what he states his age is? I would advise someone not to get something if they are put off because of the looks. Some peolple may be more superficial and care what others think even if it's a good product (ie 4G TL). The fact is the beak is controversial at best. Acura needs to resolve this with the MMC.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PetesTL
How does a 19 year old afford a $47K+ car?!

When I was 19, I had to work 3 jobs (and go to school) just to afford a $5K beater.

But hey, if you're young and successful, more power to you!

I agree with some of the earlier posts....I think the TL is too "old" for a 19 y.o.......EVO, WRX, Audi TT, Camaro, Mustang GT are better alternatives. If you're a single guy and don't carpool a lot, no need to get a sedan.
some parents just love to spoil their kids... happens a lot here in NJ, in the rich towns that is

besides that, I agree, the TL isn't young enough of a car for a 19 year old. add 370Z to that list of younger cars too.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nsxtl
I honestly feel that the TL is more for the mature consumers. One who does not care what others think of what they have. They are smart with their $$$ and most of all, independent thinkers.
Wow! I own a TL and think that's a load of hooey. Judging from the fan boys in this forum (not you), many TL owners are image-conscious, defensive and immature. Just look at the vitriolic responses whenever anyone points out real shortcomings in the vehicle.

Regardless of whether you care what others think, you may want to surround yourself with aesthetically-appealing items. The TL is not initially that. And not everybody warms up to it. Owners aren't any smarter than with many other cars; the TL provides value measured in certain ways, but is overpriced measured in others. (It should be much more comfortable for long drives than the Mitsu though.)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
If he's 19 like you, then get the Mitsubishi... I mean really the TL is a beast of a car, I can't image I would want this if I was his age. Great for hauling kids and clients around. But if I were 19, I'd want something small and fast (that Evo fits the bill).

I'd love an Evo, but being over the age of 25, it just doesn't work for me. Too young of a car for me.
+1 These are 2 totally different cars with totally different personalities. Yes the Evo looks like a wicked fun car to drive, but I would not make it my daily driver. I think I'd be racing everyone and getting a lot of speeding tickets.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
Wow! I own a TL and think that's a load of hooey. Judging from the fan boys in this forum (not you), many TL owners are image-conscious, defensive and immature. Just look at the vitriolic responses whenever anyone points out real shortcomings in the vehicle.

Regardless of whether you care what others think, you may want to surround yourself with aesthetically-appealing items. The TL is not initially that. And not everybody warms up to it. Owners aren't any smarter than with many other cars; the TL provides value measured in certain ways, but is overpriced measured in others. (It should be much more comfortable for long drives than the Mitsu though.)
I take that back. I was just talking about me.