Rear bumper paint peeling--'09 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013 | 09:47 AM
Pro

Rear bumper paint peeling--'09 SH-AWD

All,

I bought my '09 CPO year ago last October. Unfortunately, both me and my girlfriend have backed it into something on separate occasions. I was going to wait to get my mistake fixed until after the winter season and then she did it earlier this week.

The issue I have is, on both occasions, the paint cracked/split on the bumper in a place other than the impact. These must have been flex points in the bumper related to the impact. Do any of you have any experience with this?

It is interesting that the paint just "breaks" and then peels cleanly from that spot and continues to peel off.

Could this possibly be an issue that I could get Acura to resolve? Aren't these supposed to be able to take an impact and be ok to an extent? i.e. "5 mph bumper".

Pic below. Sorry it is so dirty. Had snow this week and haven't had a chance to clean.

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:20 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

wow... i can't imagine factory paint doing that.

yeah... I would take that to the dealer with the assumption that the bumper was not repainted.
Old 03-08-2013 | 11:20 AM
Drifting

I understand what you're getting at but thats difficult to prove.
Old 03-08-2013 | 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

I am like C8N too....That seems like an after market paint job which never seem to bond as well as the factory job. I know some will argue that a good body shop will use adhesive and flexer to prevent thsi sort of stuff but have seen this too often to make me never want to get my vehicle re-painted.
Old 03-08-2013 | 11:43 AM
Pro

If I bought it CPO, shouldn't they disclose that it was repainted?
Old 03-08-2013 | 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ It depends. I think there is a cut off for the damage cost in which it needs to be disclosed. The dealer who traded the vehicle may have not been made aware and would be unable to share that info with you. I agree that it is frustrating and disapointing at the same time. There is no doubt that having backed into something a few times in the winter when the bumper is cold will not help. You could go and talked to them and see if they will help you but best advice, try and be as polite and reaching for a solution rather than being all fired up. Dealers tend to bring their defense mechanism (as would be done normally for anyone) when accused of something.

Keep us posted
Old 03-08-2013 | 12:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by weather
^^ It depends. I think there is a cut off for the damage cost in which it needs to be disclosed. The dealer who traded the vehicle may have not been made aware and would be unable to share that info with you. I agree that it is frustrating and disapointing at the same time. There is no doubt that having backed into something a few times in the winter when the bumper is cold will not help. You could go and talked to them and see if they will help you but best advice, try and be as polite and reaching for a solution rather than being all fired up. Dealers tend to bring their defense mechanism (as would be done normally for anyone) when accused of something.

Keep us posted
Funny thing is...neither time was it that cold. The first time I did it was last summer. This time, the temp was in the 40s.

I know the history of the car. It was an early lease return (guy wanted an SUV) with 22K miles on it. The guy who sold it to me was also the sales guy who leased it to the original person. He would have known if anything happened or had been done to it.

I agree on your take with dealing with the dealers. So far, I have had a great experience and the salesman takes care of everything I need. Although, I don't hold out too much hope here, I'm going to give it a shot.

Below is a pic of the other side.

Last edited by Hogan9166; 03-08-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 03-08-2013 | 12:23 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Many body shops have lease turn in specials where they do sub-par work for low costs.
This might have been the case because as I said before, I can't imagine factory paint doing that. But considering it is a CPO, who knows... the dealer might take care of this for you.
Old 03-08-2013 | 12:36 PM

good luck on trying to get acura to repaint that..

they will make it a point to you that you already damaged your bumper previously before this was made aware with them thus your claim is not valid. They will say that it is because of your accident that it caused the paint to flake and you really cant do anything about it..

just pay to get it repainted.. its really not that much

and also it does look like that bumper was repainted.

every person can agree with me is that if a person was to return a lease or do a trade in, they will have a cheap body shop paint it with cheap product just for return purposes.. i know i would.. why spend $300+ dollars on high quality paint when your just going to return the car? again you get what you pay for.. CPO has its disadvantages.

Last edited by potmilkz; 03-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 12:54 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
All,

I bought my '09 CPO year ago last October. Unfortunately, both me and my girlfriend have backed it into something on separate occasions. I was going to wait to get my mistake fixed until after the winter season and then she did it earlier this week.

The issue I have is, on both occasions, the paint cracked/split on the bumper in a place other than the impact. These must have been flex points in the bumper related to the impact. Do any of you have any experience with this?

It is interesting that the paint just "breaks" and then peels cleanly from that spot and continues to peel off.

Could this possibly be an issue that I could get Acura to resolve? Aren't these supposed to be able to take an impact and be ok to an extent? i.e. "5 mph bumper".

Pic below. Sorry it is so dirty. Had snow this week and haven't had a chance to clean.

Sorry, I’m confused..

Maybe I’m missing something but didn’t the OP say in his post ^^ that “On separate occasions both he and his girlfriend backed into something”. So I would assume they caused some type of damage.

I understand that the paint is not peeling at the point of impact. But the impact could have caused the entire bumper to flex where as causing the paint to peel or flake away in another area on the bumper.

If the paint was peeling for no reason and it is factory paint then I would bring it to Acura. But in this case, if I am understanding it correctly, how is Acura responsible?

Again, maybe I am missing something.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JT4
Sorry, I’m confused..

Maybe I’m missing something but didn’t the OP say in his post ^^ that “On separate occasions both he and his girlfriend backed into something”. So I would assume they caused some type of damage.

I understand that the paint is not peeling at the point of impact. But the impact could have caused the entire bumper to flex where as causing the paint to peel or flake away in another area on the bumper.

If the paint was peeling for no reason and it is factory paint then I would bring it to Acura. But in this case, if I am understanding it correctly, how is Acura responsible?

Again, maybe I am missing something.

the point of his post is that paint does not flake like that.. especially oem paint.. but who knows how bad the impact was on those 2 separate occasions.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by potmilkz
the point of his post is that paint does not flake like that.. especially oem paint.. but who knows how bad the impact was on those 2 separate occasions.
I do. But, that might be the problem. One was simply backing out of a driveway and hitting a mailbox. The other was attempting to back into a driveway and hitting a rock guarding the edge.

Neither were over 5 mph.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:19 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

I don't know... if the paint chipped at the point of impact then I would think there would be no recourse. But if the paint is chipping due to a flex... wouldn't this be a quality issue?
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by C8N
I don't know... if the paint chipped at the point of impact then I would think there would be no recourse. But if the paint is chipping due to a flex... wouldn't this be a quality issue?
That's my point, exactly.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:26 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

That's my point, exactly.
But as someone else already mentioned, it may be difficult to prove.
Nonetheless, I would still take it to the dealer and see what resolution can come of this.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:33 PM
6G TLX-S

The rear bumper has previously been repainted. OEM factory paint won't crack and peel off like this.
Old 03-08-2013 | 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The rear bumper has previously been repainted. OEM factory paint won't crack and peel off like this.
^^^exactly

you knew what you were getting into when you bought a CPO.. these are the type of things you will have to deal with.. dealer probably did not know about this..

it just may be that the previous owner damaged the bumper and paid for a cheap paint job just for it to pass the cpo inspection.

either way.. i dont see how a dealer will be covering this.. you may be able to get away with it tho.. just dont mention your 2 other accidents if they are not visible
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:25 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by potmilkz
^^^exactly

you knew what you were getting into when you bought a CPO.. these are the type of things you will have to deal with.. dealer probably did not know about this..

it just may be that the previous owner damaged the bumper and paid for a cheap paint job just for it to pass the cpo inspection.

either way.. i dont see how a dealer will be covering this.. you may be able to get away with it tho.. just dont mention your 2 other accidents if they are not visible
I also don't see how the dealer covers this.

OP if you decide to bring it to the dealer I hope it works out for you. Good Luck.
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:45 PM

the 5mph bumper is actually under neath the Plastic bumper.

it's a steal beam with a plastic cover over it.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 02:55 PM
Pro

Here are more places I just discovered. So, CPO doesn't mean that the fit and finish are covered by warranty? Shouldn't it? I understand the issue around the bumps on the bumper, but this SHOULD NOT be happening.

Old 03-08-2013 | 02:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
the 5mph bumper is actually under neath the Plastic bumper.

it's a steal beam with a plastic cover over it.

Got it. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:07 PM

So, CPO doesn't mean that the fit and finish are covered by warranty? Shouldn't it? I understand the issue around the bumps on the bumper, but this SHOULD NOT be happening.
Well answer this.. did the car come like that when you picked it up? or was the bumper was in 100% good condition?

if this happened prior to you buying it then yes.. it is covered.. but since it was in your possession and the paint happen to flake after 2 accidents.. i can safely assume that this will not be covered under warranty..

CPO means that it was CERTIFIED by dealer before they put it up for sale. It does not cover negligence..

Think of it this way.. lets say you go to gamestop, buy a ps3, use it for a few weeks then somehow you knocked it over a desk and it dropps to the floor.
The ps3 still works, but one of the USB sockets are broken.. now do you think if you brought it back to game stop and explained what happened they will replace or fix your ps3 even though your accident caused the usb drive to not work?

Last edited by potmilkz; 03-08-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:35 PM
Pro

I can certainly see your point, but this should not be happening in at least five spots...none of which are at the point of impact. If it cracked or scratched, I get it, but it peels and continues to peel.

I'm not going to argue. I see the point.

All I can do is ask.
Old 03-08-2013 | 05:40 PM

I can certainly see your point, but this should not be happening in at least five spots...none of which are at the point of impact. If it cracked or scratched, I get it, but it peels and continues to peel.

I'm not going to argue. I see the point.

All I can do is ask.
you can try the dealer and play dumb with them. do not even mention you hit anything.

see if they are dumb enough to fix it for free.

ive done it before.. never hurts to try
Old 03-09-2013 | 09:18 AM
Racer

Here are more places I just discovered. So, CPO doesn't mean that the fit and finish are covered by warranty? Shouldn't it? I understand the issue around the bumps on the bumper, but this SHOULD NOT be happening.

Just like everyone else is saying this bumper has been painted... OEM paint doesnt peel like that... If anything there should be a "spider web" effect. Albeit that honda paint is poop... This is an example of poor prep work and cheap paint... Take it back to Acura and tell them the paint is chipping and flaking.....There's the "orange peel" effect on the paint of the bumper as well which shows that it was repainted...

Last edited by manutd; 03-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2013 | 12:22 PM
Pro

Heading to the dealer now. Don't hold much hope, but gonna give it a shot.
Old 03-09-2013 | 12:24 PM
Instructor

It was repainted and the shop that did the work half assed the prep work. The best color match and quality of paint don't mean squat if it isn't sanded correctly. It will look good until a rock hits it or get bumped then it will peel like it is. This is what happens when the bumper was painted at 2:00pm and the car needs to be delivered by 5:00pm. Sorry about your bumper. I know it will cost more but you need a new bumper for this job to be done correctly.
Old 03-09-2013 | 02:47 PM
Pro

Just got back from the dealer. He said he thought he remembered that the car had gone to the body shop. He took the VIN to check to see what it was in the shop for originally. If it had been in the shop for the bumper, they will resolve the issue. I was completely honest with him about the two incidents, but he felt the paint in the non-impact areas should not have been compromised like this.

Have my fingers crossed.

I understand that it may not get done correctly again, but right now, I don't want to put the extra dollars into getting a new bumper, etc.
Old 03-09-2013 | 06:57 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Even if you buy a new OEM bumper, you still have to get it professionally painted to your TL's color.
Old 03-10-2013 | 06:32 AM
Pro

Lol. I know that, but thanks. ^^^
Old 03-11-2013 | 01:27 PM
Instructor

Just got back from the dealer. He said he thought he remembered that the car had gone to the body shop. He took the VIN to check to see what it was in the shop for originally. If it had been in the shop for the bumper, they will resolve the issue. I was completely honest with him about the two incidents, but he felt the paint in the non-impact areas should not have been compromised like this.

Have my fingers crossed.

I understand that it may not get done correctly again, but right now, I don't want to put the extra dollars into getting a new bumper, etc.

If they are going to cover it hopefully it will get done right. New bumpers are about $350. To sand out your old bumper is about 3-4 hours @ $80 and hour so it is easier and most likely cheaper to put a new one on. They can't just sand and spray your old one in it's current condition so they will have to do it the right way this time.
Old 03-12-2013 | 02:47 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Have my fingers crossed.

Hey OP, just wondering what was the dealer's final word on the bumper. Are they going to repair it for you?
Old 03-12-2013 | 04:24 PM
Pro

I was just getting ready to post. I talked to the dealer today.

They have agreed to remove, sand, and repaint for $200. Given the fact they are not solely responsible for the issue, I'm pretty happy.
Old 03-12-2013 | 04:42 PM

lol sounds like the dealer didnt do shit.. you just paid for a repaint..

it cost about 200 to repaint a rear bumper anyways but i guess you had damages.. so i guess this is a win?
Old 03-12-2013 | 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

^ really? ... where do u get a repaint for 200 bux? im not being sarcastic im asking seriously, everywhere i got its atleast 450
Old 03-12-2013 | 05:39 PM
Pro

Don't worry about him. Just another anonymous poster on a message board puffing out his chest and saying look at me, look at me. He can't reply to a thread without creating contention, unless its about him.

Frankly, what matters is I'm happy with the resolution. Given its my car and my money, that's what matters.
Old 03-12-2013 | 06:04 PM
Racer

Don't worry about him. Just another anonymous poster on a message board puffing out his chest and saying look at me, look at me. He can't reply to a thread without creating contention, unless its about him.

Frankly, what matters is I'm happy with the resolution. Given its my car and my money, that's what matters.

Well said, he usually has nothing good to contribute. Just likes to be a nuisance with his negativity and childish behaviour.

Hogan9166, im really happy to hear that they're willing to help out with this! To respray the bumper you're looking at about almost 400-500 and you'll be sure that they're going to do a good job or else you'll be back!
Old 03-13-2013 | 07:12 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

I am no expert but I think what potmilkz was referring to is the dealer internal cost for the repair. Nonethless... glad things worked out for you as $200 is far better than the $400-$500 the body shops would have charged.
Old 03-13-2013 | 11:47 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I was just getting ready to post. I talked to the dealer today.

They have agreed to remove, sand, and repaint for $200. Given the fact they are not solely responsible for the issue, I'm pretty happy.
Good for you, and you can't go wrong for $200 especially from the dealer. Usually if the dealer just looks and breathes on your car it costs $200… LOL..

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-13-2013 | 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

That bumper was definitely repainted.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper paint peeling--'09 SH-AWD