Really disappointed in Acrura's CPO program

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Really disappointed in Acrura's CPO program

Yes I realize it's partly a marketing ploy but first I'm disappointed that it's only 12 months (as opposed to 2 years for brands like BMW or Infiniti).

In any case, I'm looking at a CPO'd 2013 TL with a manual tranny from an Acura dealer. They sent me the CPO report along with what was done to bring it up to standard (almost nothing was needed except for a new battery and wiper blades). I then asked for the service records and they said there were none that came with the car (it was originally sold from another nearby dealer and was purchased at auction). Ok - so why can't they run the VIN through their service dept? Shouldn't any service done by a Acura dealer show up on their system? Do people actually buy used cars without a service history? This is one of the reasons I am looking at cars from an actual Acura dealer. Another surprise was that no where on the CPO requirements does it talk about reviewing passed service history or maintenance. This is very different from BMWs CPO requirement that requires proof of regular maintenance (I know as I have purchased CPO'd BMWs in the past). In theory, a car could of missed all of it's oil changes and still qualify for CPO.

Once again, it looks like I may have to pass. Even if I get the service records I'm a little skiddish about the fact it was sold at auction according to the carfax. It was a lease return but for some reason the original dealer took to auction. A bit of a surprise since it passed CPO with minimal work. Perhaps because it is a manual tranny?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Instructor

I noticed I spelled "Acura" incorrectly in the title but I don't see how to edit my post! Sorry!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
I noticed I spelled "Acura" incorrectly in the title but I don't see how to edit my post! Sorry!
I think you have up to 15 minutes from post time to edit your posts
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge
I think you have up to 15 minutes from post time to edit your posts
That's my understanding, too.

OP, how many miles does the car have on it?

I'd be worried that the former driver did-in the clutch. And, from what I've read, the clutch for the 4G TL's expensive! It's probably spendy for other TL's, as well. Will the dealer let you take it to a private shop, to get it checked out? Also, what about buying an extended warranty from Acura? That's what I did, as I didn't trust the CPO warranty to cover electronics. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I've heard that the 6M is wonderful, and it might be worth the risk. Well, what ever you decide to do, good luck!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beak14
That's my understanding, too.

OP, how many miles does the car have on it?

I'd be worried that the former driver did-in the clutch. And, from what I've read, the clutch for the 4G TL's expensive! It's probably spendy for other TL's, as well. Will the dealer let you take it to a private shop, to get it checked out? Also, what about buying an extended warranty from Acura? That's what I did, as I didn't trust the CPO warranty to cover electronics. Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I've heard that the 6M is wonderful, and it might be worth the risk. Well, what ever you decide to do, good luck!
It's got about 44k miles on it. Yes, the clutch is always a risk. The last car I looked at (in this case that particular car was bought and sold at the same dealership and they sent me the service records) the clutch was replaced after 17k miles. Obviously, a person that does not know how to properly drive a manual. That's one of the reasons I'd like to get the service records for this car. I might just call their service dept myself tomorrow to see if they can look up the service records. The carfax seems to indicate that it received all of the usual maintenance such as oil changes, transmission fluid change, and filters but carfax doesn't always have everything.

i can always get a mobile mechanic to check the car out, but honestly, I'm fairly confident the car will check out fine. It's the service history I'm after - what if there was a complaint for high oil usage? This would not be able to be ascertained by any mechanic nor would it show up in a carfax but it should be recorded in the service history.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
So service history can't be found. Maybe they didn't perform service at Acura. Why don't you look for another vehicle that's potentially better maintained to your standards with up to date service records ... What am i missing here?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I didnt read, but just came in to say....

CPO is a marketing term created by Lexus in the 90's. A used car is a used car is a used car is a used car and its up the to the buyer to be dilligent in checking EVERYTHING.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura's CPO program isn't really worth much more IMO -- You essentially get another year and 12k miles of warranty compared to Benz and Lexus, which have 1 year and 2 year bumper to bumper (more or less) warranty with unlimited miles. Or maybe that's only appealing to me since I'm on track to putting 50k on my TL this year...
Old 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
So service history can't be found. Maybe they didn't perform service at Acura. Why don't you look for another vehicle that's potentially better maintained to your standards with up to date service records ... What am i missing here?
Sorry I wasn't clear through my wordy rant! But there were a couple of points I was trying to make: (1) Acura's CPO program isn't as good as some of the other Marques and (2) there are no prior service history requirements to certify a car - this is surprising to me.

In terms of the car I am interested in it was serviced at an Acura dealer - just not the one selling it. It turns out that one Acura dealer cannot see the other Acura dealers service records - pretty amazing in today's connected world. In any case, I found the original Acura dealer where the car was serviced and I'm having them send me the history. So basically if you buy a car from a dealer that did not originally service it you have to chase the records down unless they provide a written copy with the car. Nice.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
Sorry I wasn't clear through my wordy rant! But there were a couple of points I was trying to make: (1) Acura's CPO program isn't as good as some of the other Marques and (2) there are no prior service history requirements to certify a car - this is surprising to me.

In terms of the car I am interested in it was serviced at an Acura dealer - just not the one selling it. It turns out that one Acura dealer cannot see the other Acura dealers service records - pretty amazing in today's connected world. In any case, I found the original Acura dealer where the car was serviced and I'm having them send me the history. So basically if you buy a car from a dealer that did not originally service it you have to chase the records down unless they provide a written copy with the car. Nice.
Did the dealer actually say they can't see what's on the other dealers system?
That's bullshit. I can log into My Acura account and see everything that's been done from an Acura dealership in my Service History.
Seems like they are being shady and may be trying to sell off a damaged car!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LNJ
Did the dealer actually say they can't see what's on the other dealers system?
That's bullshit. I can log into My Acura account and see everything that's been done from an Acura dealership in my Service History.
Seems like they are being shady and may be trying to sell off a damaged car!

It was the service dept manager that said that they couldn't see another dealers service records. I did get the name of the original dealer and they are going to send me the service records.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of times the Carfax will show oil changes and service visits. May not be complete, but may give a general idea.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I wouldn't buy a "CPO" paperclip from Acura without going over it with a fine tooth comb first. Top to bottom, front to back, inside and outside.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I wouldn't buy a "CPO" paperclip from Acura without going over it with a fine tooth comb first. Top to bottom, front to back, inside and outside.
yup - that's why I want the complete service records (which I now have) plus going over the car carefully.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I bought CPO largely to extend the powertrain and the additional 12 months bumper to bumper. At 44K, there are a lot of items that should be checked and measured before its delivered to you. If you're really interested, read up about the tire tread depth requirements, brakes, etc and negotiate a price CPO. Then make sure it meets all the criteria. I honestly don't think i paid much more for the CPO designation anyway. Problem is, the now discontinued manual tranny and the fourth generation are becoming rarer and rarer with low mileage and in great shape. It a shame they stopped making them. If I was a few years younger, I would have flown someplace to get one but I've been through my share of manuals and the new 6 speed auto is what I settled on. I love it. I can only imagine it'd be even better with a third pedal.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Eh-um, well "OtherBMW" perhaps you are not familiar with used cars. A Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is certainly better than a car from "Johnson's Used Cars." At least you'll know it wasn't totalled and then put back together by shoddy workmanship...
However, it's still a used car. You will never know if the previous owner was a college student who's nick-name was "The Shark" and drove the shit out of it -or- A 55yr old dental hygienist named "Debbie."
For your sake, I hope it was "Debbie."
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Eh-um, well "OtherBMW" perhaps you are not familiar with used cars. A Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is certainly better than a car from "Johnson's Used Cars." At least you'll know it wasn't totalled and then put back together by shoddy workmanship...
However, it's still a used car. You will never know if the previous owner was a college student who's nick-name was "The Shark" and drove the shit out of it -or- A 55yr old dental hygienist named "Debbie."
For your sake, I hope it was "Debbie."
I've bought cars new ('99 328i which I still have) and a Toyota Venza as well as CPO'd (my '08 335 convertible - which has been great) so yeah I understand. Buying used is ALWAYS a gamble. The only thing you can do is minimize the risk by getting the complete service history and getting it checked out by an Indy. My original point was that Acura's CPO program is not as good as other Marques. But it is what it is and I think the TL is a great car and I look forward to replacing my tired old 328!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^ I'm sure it will be a good vehicle choice, I'm bitter because my favorite ride turned into an oil gulper (4GTL) and my BMW needed a new tranny in the same year. Not withstanding the wife's sudden desire to drive a Subaru.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^ I'm sure it will be a good vehicle choice, I'm bitter because my favorite ride turned into an oil gulper (4GTL) and my BMW needed a new tranny in the same year. Not withstanding the wife's sudden desire to drive a Subaru.
Yikes! Well, today, I just spent $2000 on my Venza for new tires (stupid stock 20 inch wheels!), rear brakes, and 2 rear wheel bearings. I can't complain - it's been a good car and has close to 125k miles on it.

In terms of my TL search, I found a second car with fewer miles but no service history to be found other than 2 oil changes at "Joe's Mobil" (not making that up) on the carfax. Now I can't decide so I started a new thread - chime in if you have an opinion!