A question about TL scheduled maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012 | 06:23 AM
Advanced

A question about TL scheduled maintenance...

What is the concenses regarding who gets to maintain your pride and joy? I have a new 12 TL Tech so I'm just getting familiar with it.

Do you allow the dealer to charge what they will or have a trusted mechanic that does not rip you off, or do you do it yourself?

It seems counterproductive to get a luxury car that you cinch on maintaining but I'm not sure it has to do with how much you save as apposed to knowing it is done right. Are these cars easy to work on for the basic home mechanic maintenance?

How about the maintenance minder... do you follow it to a fault or do it every 3k miles type of shedule?

Oils are allways a good topic of discussion, do you go with this brand or that in semi or full synthetic?

Probably asking too much here but all of your replies will be appreciated.

Mugz
Old 05-10-2012 | 06:41 AM
Drifting

I personally err on the side of letting my dealer do all of the maintenance work on my car. I have one specific tech who works on it and I know and trust that only what needs to be done will be done. It's a level of comfort that satisfies me.

I default to the maintenance minder which I have followed in my previous 2005 TL and 2006 RL.

As with my previous Acura's, I switched to Mobil 1 at my first oil changes.

It's all about peace of mind for me. Besides, I have always gotten great trade in deals as the dealer knows my car(s).
Old 05-10-2012 | 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess it depends on what particular maintenence is needed for me. I am comfortable with things like tire rotations, oil changes and similar procedures. Anything I feel may be out of my comfort zone I would probably take to the dealer as long as the warranty is in effect. Otherwise I know a good independent mechanic who could do the job much less expensive.

AFA oil changes go, I always use a full synthetic and go by the MID. DIY oil changes are easy on the TL. Right now I'm using Amsoil 5w20 with a Supertech filter. These filters have been discontinued and when I am out of my currently supply will probably switch to Purolator. While using Amsoil currently I wouldn't hesitiate to use a quality synthetic like Mobil 1 or the like. FWIW.
Old 05-10-2012 | 10:07 AM
lji
Pro

What is the concensus regarding who gets to maintain your pride and joy? I have a new 12 TL Tech so I'm just getting familiar with it.

Do you allow the dealer to charge what they will or have a trusted mechanic that does not rip you off, or do you do it yourself?

What I do is call around to different Acura/Honda dealerships in my area and get quotes for maintenance work. I compare what each dealer does during the service and the total charge. This is how I decide which one to take the car to. For things like oil change and tire rotation/balance, once the car is out of warranty, I'll start doing oil changes myself and rotate/balance tires at Discount Tire. After all, dealerships are just auto workshops with the manufacturer logo behind them. As an example, I did my last B16 service with a Honda dealer close by. I ended up paying around $150 whereas the Acura dealers wanted approx $280.

It seems counterproductive to get a luxury car that you cinch on maintaining but I'm not sure it has to do with how much you save as opposed to knowing it is done right. Are these cars easy to work on for the basic home mechanic maintenance?

I would think oil changes and tire rotations are easy to do at the home garage figuring you have all the right tools.

How about the maintenance minder... do you follow it to a fault or do it every 3k miles type of shedule?

I follow the maintenance minder as the manual states. I also try to be proactive and check for things that need changing like the engine and cabin air filters. The maintenance minder probably won't ask you to change it until 25k, but when I did my last service around, I checked those and found that both needed to be changed.

Oils are allways a good topic of discussion, do you go with this brand or that in semi or full synthetic?

I've been using fully synthetic oil since the start. Royal Purple 5W-20. Might switch to Mobil 1 5W-20 fully synthetic and try Amsoil also down the road and see how that goes. I'm tempted to use 0W-20 but don't want to as Acura hasn't allowed use of 0W-20 in their J37 engines.

Probably asking too much here but all of your replies will be appreciated.

Mugz

I've answered right below your questions....

Last edited by lji; 05-10-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2012 | 10:39 AM

if you can do your own maintenance then do so. I.E. oil changes, tire rotations, cabin and air filter, any fluid changes.

for such things as timing belt adjustment, or anything mechanical within the motor, you take it to dealer..
Old 05-10-2012 | 11:53 AM
Advanced

For maintenance: do as much as your abilities and resources allow. For me personally that is everything up to say a timing belt replacement. I realize that things like oil changes are not much cheaper by doing it yourself, but I have peace of mind knowing that it's done right. Shops don't make much money, if any, from oil changes so they use them as opportunities to get you to pay for other services whether you need them or not. I'd rather not have that hassle. I've only had my TL for a few months but it seems easier to work on than other cars I've had. The engine bay isn't too crowded. The intake doesn't have to be removed to replace the spark plugs. The auto transmission has a drain plug to make changing the fluid much easier. Electric assist steering means there is no power steering fluid to replace or worry about leaking.

Maintenance Minder: I don't quite trust it yet. It's only a indirect measure of oil condition. I just go by the recommended oil change schedule unless the maintenance minder comes on sooner.

Oil: I prefer Mobil 1 or other good quality sythetic oil. Sometimes I just buy what's on sale but don't just grab whatever is cheapest. Mobil 1 and Purolate PureOne are great oil filters.
Old 05-10-2012 | 12:04 PM
Drifting

I do the maintenance myself and plan to as long as it's relatively routine. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic this last time and will continue doing so, as well as continue to follow the MM.

I have a mechanic that I probably will take it to when something is needed that's not covered by the warranty and that I'm not comfortable doing.

Also, you can find DIY's on here that are helpful...specifically the oil change and rear diff fluid change if you have AWD.
Old 05-10-2012 | 12:23 PM
The Sicilian

Whatever I can do myself I do. I have been going to the same mechanic (father & sons) for 20+ years and I trust him completely. He knows I'm a quick paying customer and I send him a lot of business, so it would be stupid for him to try and screw me.
I only go to the dealer if my mechanic tells me to go to the dealer, which has only happened once with my old 92 Nissan Maxima.

I pretty much follow my own maintenance schedule. I keep an eye on the MID of course and make sure everything is checked by my mechanic (differential fluid) etc... to make sure everything looks good.

I use and have always used conventional oil in all my vehicles. Have never had any problems at all. Use 5W-20 in the TL and chnage it every 5,000 miles.
Old 05-10-2012 | 05:02 PM
Pro

I usually just pay the ultimate price when it comes to my '09 Tl baby. I happen to have a decent sized bank account so money isnt really a factor. The last thing I'd want is my TL to crap out on me and forced into a TSX loaner, this happened once and I did not like it, AT ALL!
Old 05-10-2012 | 06:47 PM
Advanced

Thanks

Appreciate all that have replied with the great advice that you have provided. As mentioned, I'm still getting used to the lady and intend to baby it just as much as you have expressed.

Mine is the 12 TL Tech FWD AT, my first AT. I traded in a TSX Prem 6MT that was two years old and had 59,000 miles so I used it well. It was tough to convince someone to take it over because of the MT, and the mileage, so the AT was prefered this time.

The oil filler cap shows 0W20 grade oil that I never knew existed. I imagine it is a semi-synthetic but will go with what the manual recommends.

Again, thanks for all your help...

Safe driving...

Mugz
Old 05-10-2012 | 09:29 PM
Scott

I enjoy doing as much to my TL for maintenance as im comfortable with, its that quality time together....lol.
Old 05-10-2012 | 09:39 PM
Racer

just wondering if i were to bring my own oil for the dealer to change, would they still do the oil change for me ?
Old 05-11-2012 | 12:24 AM
6G TLX-S

It's dealership dependent. You'll have to ask them to find out.
Old 05-11-2012 | 09:37 AM
lji
Pro

Originally Posted by alienstudio
just wondering if i were to bring my own oil for the dealer to change, would they still do the oil change for me ?
Most will. That's how I've done it for the two oil changes on mine.
Old 05-11-2012 | 12:38 PM
Love Guru

Originally Posted by Mugszy
Appreciate all that have replied with the great advice that you have provided. As mentioned, I'm still getting used to the lady and intend to baby it just as much as you have expressed.

Mine is the 12 TL Tech FWD AT, my first AT. I traded in a TSX Prem 6MT that was two years old and had 59,000 miles so I used it well. It was tough to convince someone to take it over because of the MT, and the mileage, so the AT was prefered this time.

The oil filler cap shows 0W20 grade oil that I never knew existed. I imagine it is a semi-synthetic but will go with what the manual recommends.

Again, thanks for all your help...

Safe driving...

Mugz
Hey Mugz,

As far as I have read, 0w 20 is considered a "Full Synthetic" oil. Mobile 1 has one that they market as an Advanced Fuel Economy oil. You can get a gallon of that for around 25 bucks at your local Walmart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012 | 12:44 PM
Advanced

My question is that do you let the dealer do the work while it is under warranty? My first schedule service should be coming up as I see my car's oil life is at 30% now.

I also wonder whether I should take it to my Honda dealer where I take my CR-V to since they do a great job at a very reasonable price.
Old 05-11-2012 | 01:20 PM
lji
Pro

^ Honda dealers can & will work on Acura vehicles. They just won't do any warranty related issues. For the most part, Honda dealers are cheaper than Acura dealers and independent shops are cheaper than dealers. When under warranty, I get the work done with the dealer so that all paperwork is there and there won't be an issue with the maintenance performed if any issues arise.
Old 05-12-2012 | 03:47 AM
Advanced

Thanks

Originally Posted by mr_raja
Hey Mugz,

As far as I have read, 0w 20 is considered a "Full Synthetic" oil. Mobile 1 has one that they market as an Advanced Fuel Economy oil. You can get a gallon of that for around 25 bucks at your local Walmart.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Thanks for the info raja, I'll look out for it...

Mugz
Old 05-12-2012 | 07:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

follow your MID. i have done that for the entire life of my TL and will do so with my MDX.

as for the maintenance: read the owner's manual over to make sure you know what needs/should be done (the codes and anything else).

when your car calls for an "A" service...only ask for an oil change (that is esentially all it is). the price difference for what you ask for during this interval $40 ($70 for synthetic, or $25 if you bring your own oil and filter) vs $120.

if your car calls for a "B" service....you may ask for only an oil change (see above) or do the full deal $180. you may think of this as an annual physical for your car since there are a mess of inspections associated with this service.

check your dealer website for coupons or specials. never hurts.

if you develop a working relationship with your dealer then they will be more than willing to help you out in times of good will need later on down the line. my TL has only been dealer maintained. i don't trust too many other people to work on my car. my dealer takes care of me and cuts me some slack sometimes on the bill as well.

however, know your car's needs and you won't be had by the dealer.

oh and follow your MID. this topic has been talked to death. the oil life monitor is pretty conservative so you'll be fine even if you waited until 0% oil life. though the chime from the damn thing is what will prompt you to get the oil change done at <15%.
Old 05-12-2012 | 08:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

[QUOTE=TLtrigirl;13770400]follow your MID. i have done that for the entire life of my TL and will do so with my MDX.

as for the maintenance: read the owner's manual over to make sure you know what needs/should be done (the codes and anything else).

when your car calls for an "A" service...only ask for an oil change (that is esentially all it is). the price difference for what you ask for during this interval $40 ($70 for synthetic, or $25 if you bring your own oil and filter) vs $120.

if your car calls for a "B" service....you may ask for only an oil change (see above) or do the full deal $180. you may think of this as an annual physical for your car since there are a mess of inspections associated with this service.

check your dealer website for coupons or specials. never hurts.

if you develop a working relationship with u dealer then they will be more than willing to help you out in times of good will need later on down the line. my TL has only been dealer maintained. i don't trust too many other people to work on my car. my dealer takes care of me and cuts me some slack sometimes on the bill as well.

however, know your car's needs and you won't be had by the dealer.

oh and follow your MID. this topic has been talked to death. the oil life monitor is pretty conservative so you'll be fine even if you waited until 0% oil life. though the chime from the damn thing is what will prompt you to get the oil change done at <15%.[/QUOT
Excellent advice-in addition if your mid does not get to 15% within a year, get your car serviced at least once a year. With the driving i do i get the warning 4 or 5 times a year. If fact i am due for service as it is at 10%

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 05-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-12-2012 | 09:44 AM
Racer

If your car is under warranty, you may want the dealer to do your service. If you DIY than you may need to be able to "Prove" that you did the work, or have your warranty void. It is not easy to prove you did the work. You will need receipts for everything you bought, and you will need to hang on to them.

I do all my own work, on all our cars... once they are past warranty.
Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Old 05-12-2012 | 10:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
If your car is under warranty, you may want the dealer to do your service. If you DIY than you may need to be able to "Prove" that you did the work, or have your warranty void. It is not easy to prove you did the work. You will need receipts for everything you bought, and you will need to hang on to them.

I do all my own work, on all our cars... once they are past warranty.
Hope it helps.
Cheers.
I do my own oil changes and simply save the tops of the oil filters boxes as 'proof' that I changed the oil along with my receipts of buying 6-packs of Mobil-1 from Costco. I keep one intact filter box and place all the tops in that one. There's one filter top per oil change which is more than called for since the A service doesn't require a filter change. I also have an Excel file that tracks all maintenance on the car which is mostly done by me- ATF changes, brake bleeds, pad changes etc.

I haven't had any problems, so I can't say this is going to work, but I'll take my chances. I think a dealer can spot a well maintained car pretty quickly and not need to rely on complete receipts. I'm out of warranty now so it doesn't make any difference any more.
Old 05-12-2012 | 02:29 PM
Team Owner

For in-warranty stuff, might as well let the dealership handle it.
Old 05-12-2012 | 07:27 PM
Love Guru

Originally Posted by Mugszy
Thanks for the info raja, I'll look out for it...

Mugz
You bet buddy. Glad I could help.
Old 05-14-2012 | 09:17 PM
6th Gear

I always take mine to the dealer. They do a great job.
Old 05-15-2012 | 11:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tuxacura
My question is that do you let the dealer do the work while it is under warranty? My first schedule service should be coming up as I see my car's oil life is at 30% now.

I also wonder whether I should take it to my Honda dealer where I take my CR-V to since they do a great job at a very reasonable price.
You may want to check with your dealer, but our first oil change is supposed to be complimentary. We are at 30% life remaining, so I will soon find out.
Old 05-24-2012 | 08:55 AM
Advanced

Well, my car's A1 light just came up at 5500 miles.

Price Quoted for A1, oil change + tire rotation.

Dealer where I bought the car: $95+
Dealer close to my work place (a more expensive area): $140+
Honda Dealer where I bought my CR-V: $60

Incidentally, the Honda dealer is almost across the street from my Acura dealer.

They can't do warranty work but they can do all the scheduled maintenance stuff. As long as I keep my receipts it will be okay with Honda/Acura as far as warranty is concerned.

Guess where I am going?
Old 05-24-2012 | 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tuxacura
Well, my car's A1 light just came up at 5500 miles.

Price Quoted for A1, oil change + tire rotation.

Dealer where I bought the car: $95+
Dealer close to my work place (a more expensive area): $140+
Honda Dealer where I bought my CR-V: $60

Incidentally, the Honda dealer is almost across the street from my Acura dealer.

They can't do warranty work but they can do all the scheduled maintenance stuff. As long as I keep my receipts it will be okay with Honda/Acura as far as warranty is concerned.

Guess where I am going?
Yeah, this is what I love about luxury dealers, luxury prices. A while back friend took his MDX for 7,500 mile service for $275. I don't have to pay for service until 15K.

I used to work on my cars, what I couldn't do myself, like change the timing belt, a friend helped me do. Fast forward to today, time is money. I can bring the car in, get a loaner. I don't baby the car in the least, but I take care of it.

It's a car, only a car. At the end of the day when you get rid of it, it's still a car.