Proud new owner/ Some mods/ Painted grill question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Proud new owner/ Some mods/ Painted grill question

Hello,

So over the past couple weeks i have been reading all the threads and wow you guys are awesome the amount information i got made my pocket a little lighter.

I am proud of owner of a 2009 Acura TL SHAWD it’s Polished metal metallic ( I originally thought it was Grigio).

Mods that I have already done:

Takeda Intake
P2R Spacer
20% Tint
HID FOG’s 5K ( soon to match the headlights)
LED DRL ( no errors)
Waiting for arrival: BlueBat Overlays for rear reflectors and taillights ( lightest percentage as I didn’t want it to be dark but something different)

I am currently using the stock 18inch Acura wheels for my winters ( live in Canada, Ottawa)

I have some questions, I have yet to see a painted grill on PMM I tried searching forum to see if anyone has done this. Come spring I am going to be painting the bumper ( rock chips) but i figured when I have the bumper off I should change out the grill.

I am either going to paint the grill or go with the Black Chrome Acura grill. What do you guys think?

Springs Mods:
19inch or 20inch wheels ( leaning towards the 19’s out here our roads are terrible)
LED strip mod ( I am going to add a led strip in the turn signal housing which will have switchback from yellow to white so it can also be used for turn signal)

My main thing that I can’t decide is which grill option I noticed on RJ website they are discounting the RJ grill?

Thanks in advance and i will try to get some pictures up!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
have u noticed much diff in performacne with the intake AND the spacer?

be careful of switchbacks, they might be considered strobe lights by our OPP (im in T.O.). I was considering them for a long time, but decided to just leave it. lol
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

PMM!
Looks kinda funny in this pic... Reflects the white garage door.
I will probably put the inner part of the original grille back on.

Last edited by TinyRK; 11-30-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^^

Beak color doesn't match the rest of the body; if it was the garage door reflection affecting the light than wouldnt it reflect it on thr entire car.

Originally Posted by Osman.S
Hello,

So over the past couple weeks i have been reading all the threads and wow you guys are awesome the amount information i got made my pocket a little lighter.

I am proud of owner of a 2009 Acura TL SHAWD it’s Polished metal metallic ( I originally thought it was Grigio).

Mods that I have already done:

Takeda Intake
P2R Spacer
20% Tint
HID FOG’s 5K ( soon to match the headlights)
LED DRL ( no errors)
Waiting for arrival: BlueBat Overlays for rear reflectors and taillights ( lightest percentage as I didn’t want it to be dark but something different)

I am currently using the stock 18inch Acura wheels for my winters ( live in Canada, Ottawa)

I have some questions, I have yet to see a painted grill on PMM I tried searching forum to see if anyone has done this. Come spring I am going to be painting the bumper ( rock chips) but i figured when I have the bumper off I should change out the grill.

I am either going to paint the grill or go with the Black Chrome Acura grill. What do you guys think?

Springs Mods:
19inch or 20inch wheels ( leaning towards the 19’s out here our roads are terrible)
LED strip mod ( I am going to add a led strip in the turn signal housing which will have switchback from yellow to white so it can also be used for turn signal)

My main thing that I can’t decide is which grill option I noticed on RJ website they are discounting the RJ grill?

Thanks in advance and i will try to get some pictures up!

How did you get the DRL not to show an error? What LED DRL did you use? Links?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Autofahrer

Arrow

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
^^^

Beak color doesn't match the rest of the body; if it was the garage door reflection affecting the light than wouldnt it reflect it on thr entire car.

It's a steep driveway. It matches the bumper, but not the hood.
I am not looking for excuses, not a 100% happy with the result either.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Due to the differences in sloping angle of the grille vs. the hood and vs. the bumper, it is virtually impossible to do a perfect color match between the three.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK
It's a steep driveway. It matches the bumper, but not the hood.
I am not looking for excuses, not a 100% happy with the result either.

Didn't mean to come off trying to bust your balls about it. Did you complain to body shop about the color match? And I'd so what did they say/you agree on?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Autofahrer

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Didn't mean to come off trying to bust your balls about it. Did you complain to body shop about the color match? And I'd so what did they say/you agree on?

They told me exact the same thing we discussed on this forum about the white TLs on which the paint on the plastic does not match the paint on the metal.

The beak is different material than the rest of the car, so I am not surprised.
and they sanded that bitch down, because it had a bad deep scratch on it, and thaty's why I let it get painted anyways.

But this is my backup-beak anyways
Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear
have u noticed much diff in performacne with the intake AND the spacer?

be careful of switchbacks, they might be considered strobe lights by our OPP (im in T.O.). I was considering them for a long time, but decided to just leave it. lol

The biggest difference was the sound, i think after i did the install and drove around it put a smile on my face. IT may have added a few HP but nothing noticeable. Throttle response is nice. I was iffy on the mod but once i did it I don`t regret it. If your not looking for the noise on full throttle don`t bother doing it.

Yeah your right the OPP might have an excuse to pull me over. I really want some LED strips though.

As for the LED HI beam with no errors. I got them from JDMtoy they came a decoder that plugged into the existing wiring harness which i think tricks the computer that DRL are running ( not sure exactly what it does but thats my thought)

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r2.htm

IF you use your hi beam this is not a mod for you. Once installed it looks great on the car but for hi beam the low beam over power it

The install is easy besides trying to get the bulb out.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 AM
M3RKED

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On my first TL I di-noc wrapped entire front grill and it looked Awsome. I kinda miss it. I currently have my top an bottom accent pieces painted AM with the center still chrome. Looks good as well, just doesn't stick out as much.