Propeller Shaft--ATL

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propeller Shaft--ATL

Fist, glad to be here with people that have a great passion for Acuras, so glad to be here.

After much research in regards to the pot-steam sound coming from my car when i drive over 45 mph, it seems to be the propeller shaft. I had the torque converter replaced a few months ago due to the juttery feel when going up in speed rapidly which works fine now. Does anyone know at good Acrua dealership in Atlanta where i can get it checked out? Its a '10 sh-awd so im sure that should still be covered under warranty, but i do not want the hassle run around that its fine, when it really isn't.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I've had warranty work at Ed Voyles and at Acura Carland. I've had reasonable experiences with both. I would do Carland for this type of work, and Ed Voyles for anything cosmetic related.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

Thanks,I'll be sure to give them a try. I was taking it to Sons Acura and they never seem to want to fix anything that requires warranty work,so I've stopped going there. What does it take for them to have the shaft propeller swapped out under warranty? Assuming it is still under transmission warranty
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Instructor

A. Be sure that it is the propeller shaft
B. Take it in, and tell them "I need my propeller shaft replaced under warranty".
C. Get a loaner if they keep the car overnight. Sometimes they don't offer it, but it is free of charge
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
It might be a bearing as well.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
6th Gear

Well back to square one. Since my last post on this thread, i ended up taking to the dealer, and sure enough, it was the propeller shaft, and they changed it out for me with no problems, problem fixed, happy camper.

Over the span of the last month and a half, the noise came back creeping little by little. And now the torque converter is also back to the shuttering shaking that it was doing when i originally got the car, prior to having it changed. Any advice of what i should do? Ive been considering just changing the car completly to avoid major costs im gonna have to shell out for the transmission once the drive train warranty runs out, which isnt far from now.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shgeek
Well back to square one. Since my last post on this thread, i ended up taking to the dealer, and sure enough, it was the propeller shaft, and they changed it out for me with no problems, problem fixed, happy camper.

Over the span of the last month and a half, the noise came back creeping little by little. And now the torque converter is also back to the shuttering shaking that it was doing when i originally got the car, prior to having it changed. Any advice of what i should do? Ive been considering just changing the car completly to avoid major costs im gonna have to shell out for the transmission once the drive train warranty runs out, which isnt far from now.
Man. It is a bummer to read this. I don't know crap about automatic transmissions, but I do know that they are an arm and a leg for repairs.

Hard to say if your transmission will be affected. If you think it has been, or will be affected with these low miles I would consider bailing and changing cars.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
MT swap?