Programmable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programmable?

I have had many Audis since the late 1970's. If I were to replace my 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Prestige/Sport, today, it would be with the 2012 TL. Luckily I have about 10 weeks before I must decide.

I test drove the TL SH-AWD Advance over the weekend and loved it.

Nothing that follows would be a deal breaker, but with my Audi experience under my belt, I thought pehaps the Acurazine community could answer a question or two.

There is a digital readout inbetween the tach and speedo on the '12 TL -- several different data points are offered, one of them, as I recall, is average speed. Another one that is pretty cool is the F/R power split. With that you could both see and feel the effects of the SH-AWD (torque vectoring.)

It seems the data is available to have one of the settings for the display be a digital read out of current road speed. I.E., you could see you were motoring along at 67 MPH and if you were in a 60 zone you could adjust your speed.

I have found the digital read out to be both instantaneous and very precise (moreso than trying to determine actual speed by looking at the speedo needle.)

I have such a read out on my Audi, and I have come to like it.

Is there a software switch that can be turned on to make one of the options on the center digital display be "current speed" in addition to the option of showing average speed?

Another item, is there a secret switch to enable a three-blink sequence by briefly pressing the turn signal indicator? Even my parents 2007 Chrysler 300 has that -- as does my current Audi.

These two "features" are not deal breakers -- but if there are software "hacks" that can be done to enable certain features, I am "curious."

Over the years, I have programmed my Audi key fobs to roll up and down the windows and sunroof by depressing the lock or unlock button and holding it for 4 seconds, added a full needle sweep upon ignition and even found a hidden lap timer option for the digital read out between the Speedo and Tach.

Other programmed changes, over the years, have been publicized on Audi specific web sites -- and I was simply wondering what might be offered for the Acura TL community?

Thanks.

Oh, btw, here is the current short list of contenders:

2012 Audi A4 2.0T Prestige sport
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance
2012 Cadillac CTS AWD Premium
2012 Infiniti M37X w/Premium

Today, the beauty contest winner (interior) is the CTS with the Acura and Audi fairly close (the Acura is a little down scale -- looking a bit too much like a Honda, but not enough to kill the deal).

The G37X WAS on the list and it was the hottest of the bunch in terms of quickness -- but it carried with it a smidge of harshness that the others lack.

The M37X is the largest but Infiniti's lease deals are impressive -- the M37X is less sporty than the others, and more lux.

The Audi -- an emotional fave -- seems to need a refresh NOW; of course this is coming from a person who traded in a 2005 A6 on a 2009 A4 (the interiors of these two are nearly identical). The Audi, therefore, seems dated -- seems too much "late 2004" for a nearly $50K car.

The TL seemed to combine the best of the G37X -- and the paddle shifters on the TL with the 6 speed transmission were RIGHT NOW quick -- with some of the comfort of the FE2 suspension (w/19" wheels) equipped Cadillac. From a standing start to 60 or 70, the TL felt most like an Audi A7 (which is supercharged and routes its power through an 8 speed auto.

The fact that the TL even with the outrageously expensive back up sensors was just a bit less than $47K (my '09 A4 was ~ $49K), makes the TL the MSRP winner. A plus.

But as a person who leases automobiles, a super deal on an M37X or an A4 (or perhaps even a new for '12 A6) could sway the deal -- and who knows, if the CTS would lease for $499 per month, it could be the value leader.)

Yet, overall, based on May 2011 numbers, availability and back-to-back-to-back test drives I would damn near say the 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance feels pretty much like a 2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus (for thousands and thousands less.)

We'll see how it goes over the next couple of months.

Any answers to my "can it be hacked" questions would be appreciated.

Drive it like you live.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Not sure about the digital readout as I am not in the TL often enough to mess with it (Wife's daily driver). However the window roll up/down is automatic when you press and hold the respective button down on the remote.
As for the CTS, I could not stand that protruding hump in the passenger foot-well caused by the transmission. Just seemed like the area was a sacrifice for space. ????
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I am not aware of the digital readout feature being available for the TL nor the "three blink" signal feature. The auto up and down feature (and auto open and close sunroof) is available to the TL, however, only the auto down (sunroof open) feature works from the key fob. In order to button if all back up, you need to do it with the key in the door lock.
The following users liked this post:
AtlasAxim (11-11-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have had many Audis since the late 1970's. If I were to replace my 2009 Audi A4 2.0T Prestige/Sport, today, it would be with the 2012 TL....

Is there a software switch that can be turned on to make one of the options on the center digital display be "current speed" in addition to the option of showing average speed?

Another item, is there a secret switch to enable a three-blink sequence by briefly pressing the turn signal indicator? Even my parents 2007 Chrysler 300 has that -- as does my current Audi.
I had three consecutive Audis (A4Q MT, S4 MT, A4Q 6MT) and then a 2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT. As you can see from my sig, less than a year later I moved back into Audi.

The Audi is more configurable in stock form, and add VAGCOM and it's leaps more configurable. There is no VAGCOM equivalent for Acura. The Acura/Audi trade-off is:
  • Audi has a bit more configuration and many features seem (to me) integrated and finished better, along with a German ride.
  • The TL gives you most of the features (with the above caveat) and performance of the S4 - and a sportscar type ride, plus more space, for a lot less money.
On a pure cost-benefit spreadsheet analysis, the TL is by far the better value. In my case, the challenge was that such an analysis overlooks the quality of experience of a feature. For example, I prefer the S4 ride and the integration of the nav with the trip computer. Both have iPod support, but I considered the TL's to be essentially useless for moving to a specific song or artist. Other people here have opposite views, of course.

To your specific questions:
  • The Acura display is called the "Multi-Information Display". In the 2010 model, it cannot display the current speed. I don't know about the 2012.
  • Again, on the 2010, there is no ability to do the three-blink turn signal.
  • The Key Fob stuff is built into the TL.
  • But do beware that the TL rear seats don't fold. You may not have noticed that.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Not aware of if those hacks exist. I would venture a guess and say "I doubt it".

Those are all great cars you picked out, I think you'd be happy with any of them.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Just a point of clarification, the 2012 TL's iPod interface does allow for directly going to a specific song title and/or specific artist among other play features.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Just a point of clarification, the 2012 TL's iPod interface does allow for directly going to a specific song title and/or specific artist among other play features.
Is it usable on huge lists? The trouble with the 2010 tech version was that you had to scroll something like 5 at a time. If you had 1000 artists and > 5000 tracks, and wanted to get to Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London, it was painful. And going into an artist and back out would put you back at 'A'.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I am not aware of the digital readout feature being available for the TL nor the "three blink" signal feature. The auto up and down feature (and auto open and close sunroof) is available to the TL, however, only the auto down (sunroof open) feature works from the key fob. In order to button if all back up, you need to do it with the key in the door lock.
Treblig, thank you for this info. I've spent some time trying to back up windows/sunroof in my TL 2007 using a fob - no success! Manuals claim that it should work... Now at least I know that there is nothing wrong!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
To the OP

Very happy owner of a TL SH-AWD 6 speed manual....in my opinion unbeatable as big sport sedan for its price.

When I got it, among the contenders were the 335 xDrive, 535 xDrive, Audi S4.

While I agree on some points, my view is almost at the opposite end of the one expressed by Technocat.

As Technocat said, on a pure cost-benefit analysis the TL is the overwhelming winner, simpy no context for Audi.

You may hear many people telling you that the Audi is finished better.....well as whole it is not especially if you do not take the S4 route which may blow your budget....Audi places "strategically", in very visible areas, some high value trim pieces in alluminum or some soft touch buttons to please the eyes but they cut costs a lot in other areas....look at the Audi seats, especially in the basic form, how thin they are and not very contoured...the TL seats are significantly better....look at where the door panels join the door frame in the Audi compared to the TL, etc...the TL gives you immediately the feeling of a plushier more luxurious cabin.

Fit and assembly are top notch in both.

No there is no "German ride" vs. "Japanese ride" thing....you may find the SH-AWD ride a bit more firm than an A4 2.0, but keep in mnd that the first is a higher performance vehicle...

With the Audi you will have more configuration options (different seats and leather surfaces, types of audio system, etc...) which is a plus for some people so they can "personalize" their car better ...just remember that this wider range of options is paid even from people opting for the standard trims in the form of average higher sticker price vs. a comparable Japanese premium car...the latter tend to offer less options but they are much more generous in the standard equipment.....yes you may be able to outdo a TL Tech with an A4 with some latest whiz bang feature...but you will be several thousands of dollars north of the TL price to get there incidentally....IMHO is definitely not worth the difference.

Styling is highly subective obviously...I prefer the TL because it stands out compared to Audi or BMW....I find the look of the A4 really boring.

You will rarely read this in car magazines but the TL compete (size/power/average features) also with the A6 and the entry level 5 Series (528i and 535i) basically at the smaller premium sedan category price bracket (A4, 3 Series, G)....the TL, simlarly to the CTS, is what some call a "tweener car".
Keep in mind that for some this is indeed a disadvantage because they prefer the higher agility of a smaller car.....put simply, on a pure "material" basis you get "more car" for your money.

The Torque Vectoring SH-AWD is nothing short of fantastic.....as Technocat said, this car belong in the same league, performance wise, of an S4 which is much more expensive.

Finally, Acuras are on average more reliable than Audis especially important if you plan to keep your car for long time.

The G and the CTS, by the way, are both other 2 gorgeaous cars also with a higher value proposition than both Audi or BMW.

Good luck with your choice!!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-12-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Like TechnoCat said above, with the VAGCOM hooked up to the Audi MMI system, there is virtually unlimited amount of customization with an Audi vehicle.

Since every auto makers are offering different features and conveniences with their own brands of vehicles, one has got to gain some new and lose some old functions when switching from one auto brand to another.