Potential new owner, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Potential new owner, need advice

Hey everyone. I'm currently driving a 2011 E92 BMW, but with a 1 year old baby, I'm starting to look for a 4 door sedan. I want something that is reliable, practical, and somewhat fun to drive. Prior to the BMW, I owned a few Infinitis (G37 coupe, G35 coupe, G35 sedan, etc...)

I narrowed it down to a new TL w/ tech (fwd) or a used 2012 M37. Seems like I can get a good deal on remaining TLs and the M37 is about $29K. I can get a screaming deal on a new G37 sedan, but feel like the back seats are on the smaller side. Never owned Honda / Acura.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone cross shopped M37 vs TL? If so, what made you decide to go for TL? I like the styling of the M37 more than the TL, but buying used is always a gamble.

2) How reliable are TLs? Any known major issues? Oil consumption or transmission gremlins?

I might be making my decision this weekend. Appreciate all the help.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since no one else has made any comments here's my 2 cents. We took 2-months looking at both the Invinity and the Acura (making our purchase 3-months ago). The bottom line for us was this: Invinity had more power, a little better feel of the road. The Acura has a larger and more comfortable front and rear seat with more leg and foot room in the rear. The Aurca's radio/nav system is much more intuitive. We are currently on a road trip with our TL/Tech, actually got 32.5 mpg, not the display of the average mpg from the display.
Both cars are grat, but for us the Acura filled our needs a little better and has met all of our expectations.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:08 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
as papa roe stated, I found when I compared those two that the size of the interior was the biggest difference. I'm a pretty tall guy and most of the people i'd be putting in the backseats would be tall as well, and I felt much more confidant with the acura on that front.

also, i can't stand the way the M37's interior is laid out, the TL is much nicer
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusn007
Two questions:

1) Has anyone cross shopped M37 vs TL? If so, what made you decide to go for TL? I like the styling of the M37 more than the TL, but buying used is always a gamble.

2) How reliable are TLs? Any known major issues? Oil consumption or transmission gremlins?

I can't say much for a M37 vs TL comparison since I've never driven or cross shopped the Infiniti. But I can attest to the reliability of the TL and that it's a very cheap car to maintain. The only major issue that comes to mind is the torque converter which only some people need replaced and it's a warranty item if it happens.

Oil consumption isn't a known issue but rattles and creaks and paint issues are which again are both warranty items if they happen. Make sure you look the car over before you purchase because a good number of TL's suffered from bad paint work from the factory (mine included).

As far as space in the TL the rear seat offers good room but the pass through on the trunk is high and actually smaller than you might think. Pack something big into your existing car that you might bring around normally for your child and test to see if it will fit through the pass through of the TL.

I think if you get a TL you'll be happy, it's a great balance between everything but doesn't do exceedingly well at anything either. It has enough power in sport mode to keep you entertained on the freeway entrance ramps.

Last edited by wreak; 07-01-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
I can't say much for a M37 vs TL comparison since I've never driven or cross shopped the Infiniti. But I can attest to the reliability of the TL and that it's a very cheap car to maintain. The only major issue that comes to mind is the torque converter which only some people need replaced and it's a warranty item if it happens.

Oil consumption isn't a known issue but rattles and creaks and paint issues are which again are both warranty items if they happen. Make sure you look the car over before you purchase because a good number of TL's suffered from bad paint work from the factory (mine included).

As far as space in the TL the rear seat offers good room but the pass through on the trunk is high and actually smaller than you might think. Pack something big into your existing car that you might bring around normally for your child and test to see if it will fit through the pass through of the TL.

I think if you get a TL you'll be happy, it's a great balance between everything but doesn't do exceedingly well at anything either. It has enough power in sport mode to keep you entertained on the freeway entrance ramps.
I couldn't get past the looks of the M37 so beyond sitting in the car I am like Wreak and unable to offer any comparison insight. I also agree with Wreak on his TL assessment. Have not had TC issues or paint problems. Love the the car.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Hi there.
I like my TL a lot but it is not perfect. Perhaps no car really is perfect or will meet all your needs. As others have said, the interior is good on the TL. It has plenty of power unless you are a boy racer. The price is right and the reliability is probably better than most. Maintenance requirements are minimal. One of the "negatives" in my opinion is that the trunk opening is very small. Trunk space is Ok but not great for such a big car, but you will have problems getting larger items in there like one of those modern high tech prams. With all your baby stuff you have to transport perhaps a hatchback or an SUV might be more practical?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusn007
Hey everyone. I'm currently driving a 2011 E92 BMW, but with a 1 year old baby, I'm starting to look for a 4 door sedan. I want something that is reliable, practical, and somewhat fun to drive. Prior to the BMW, I owned a few Infinitis (G37 coupe, G35 coupe, G35 sedan, etc...)

I narrowed it down to a new TL w/ tech (fwd) or a used 2012 M37. Seems like I can get a good deal on remaining TLs and the M37 is about $29K. I can get a screaming deal on a new G37 sedan, but feel like the back seats are on the smaller side. Never owned Honda / Acura.

Two questions:

Any reason you're not considering the X3 to stay in the family?

I would personally pick an accord touring if I was sticking with fwd, should be similar price actually. When my kids were younger the odyssey was a godsend...not to get too personal but if you're planning on having more I'd just jump to whatever big car you like instead of incrementally changing cars
Old 07-01-2014, 04:01 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jim_c
Hi there.
I like my TL a lot but it is not perfect. Perhaps no car really is perfect or will meet all your needs. As others have said, the interior is good on the TL. It has plenty of power unless you are a boy racer. The price is right and the reliability is probably better than most. Maintenance requirements are minimal. One of the "negatives" in my opinion is that the trunk opening is very small. Trunk space is Ok but not great for such a big car, but you will have problems getting larger items in there like one of those modern high tech prams. With all your baby stuff you have to transport perhaps a hatchback or an SUV might be more practical?
Thanks for the suggestion. My wife already has a Lexus RX350, which we take on trips. Love my current car but can't see installing a baby seat in the back (2 door).
Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jterp7
Any reason you're not considering the X3 to stay in the family?

I would personally pick an accord touring if I was sticking with fwd, should be similar price actually. When my kids were younger the odyssey was a godsend...not to get too personal but if you're planning on having more I'd just jump to whatever big car you like instead of incrementally changing cars
Accord touring is pretty similar in price. For the $$ difference, you get better material and longer warranty.

Don't think X3 will be as easy on the maintenance and reliability as a Acura.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
true rusn007, but some are so used to the bmw feel that they won't buy anything else. Hmm...no else has a suggested the 6MT TL tech, though used, it will fit in your 30k price range.