Possible trade of 09 IS250 AWD due to serious pain/discomfort in my right leg

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Possible trade of 09 IS250 AWD due to serious pain/discomfort in my right leg

Long story short, I'm seriously considering trading in my 2009 IS250 AWD for a 2009+ TL w/SH-AWD. The interior of the 250 is causing unbelievable amounts of pain to my right leg. There is an annoying BUMP on the driver's side middle console area that has been causing severe discomfort to my right leg, hip, and heel. This BUMP (due to the AWD casing) was not very noticeable during my test drive, but as each day goes by, it's becoming a repetitive stress disorder. I absolutely cannot drive this stupid car unless I have to for work. And I had this car for only 6wks!! I just sat in the IS an hour ago, and my leg still hurts... POS Lexus. Luxury and comfort my a$$

I have to admit, I traded in a perfectly good 2005 TSX for the IS; I need the AWD for the snowy winters and unplowed backroads. Other than the lack of AWD in the TSX, it was an EXCELLENT car.

I'm aware of the financial losses for such a move, but life is too short to stay a pissed off Lexus man forever. Must move on...

So I'm curious to know how those of you driving the TL w/SH-AWD are doing? Is there an annoying BUMP in middle console area?

I'm 5'11". How tall are you guys/gals? How are your leg and feet doing after short and long drives? How are your lower backs; is there good lumbar support for the driver and passenger? How about the passengers in the passenger seat and rear seats?

My other choices are the sedans Infiniti G37x and the BMW 3 xi series (which I do not favor due to reliability issues). I must admit I like the G37x from the get go, excellent power and engine. Either the G or the TL appear to have better comfort than the IS. What your guys/gals opinions?

Also in terms of reliability, the Acura TSX has awesome reliability; I expect the same in the TL. Any reliability issues with the TL (not that I expect any)?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Lexus IS, Doc. Are you really prepared for the huge hit you're gonna take by trading it in so soon? Anyways, the interior of the new TL is definately much larger than the IS (or the Infiniti G or BMW 3 series). However, for peace of mind and to ensure you are completely comfortable in it, I recommend a long, extensive test drive. The new TL has a small, recessed bin on either side of the front console towards the bottom....it's not really a "bump" but sometimes I can feel it with my knee......doesn't really bother me at all though. Also, one other important thing to remember about the new TL is that the AWD models have sports seats with thicker side bolsters (compared to the FWD models).....make sure your torso isn't bothered by those. Also, the driver's seat lumbar support just goes in and out, not up and down. The rear passenger room, to me, is more than adequate......but remember, this is no Caddy.

As far as reliability goes, it's too soon to tell since the car just came out last fall. But like any other Acura, you can expect it to be very good. I haven't had any problems with mine so far.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually came really close to buying an IS but ended up getting the TL instead. The IS was too small, felt a bit claustrophobic in there, the 250 was underpowered, the 350 was overpriced, and the rear seat is no good. The TL is also a way better value, especially with a nav system. I don't have AWD but keep in mind that the TL SH-AWD model is supposed to have a very stiff suspension, especially compared to a Lexus. But I'd definitely give it a test drive.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Long story short, I'm seriously considering trading in my 2009 IS250 AWD for a 2009+ TL w/SH-AWD. The interior of the 250 is causing unbelievable amounts of pain to my right leg. There is an annoying BUMP on the driver's side middle console area that has been causing severe discomfort to my right leg, hip, and heel. This BUMP (due to the AWD casing) was not very noticeable during my test drive, but as each day goes by, it's becoming a repetitive stress disorder. I absolutely cannot drive this stupid car unless I have to for work. And I had this car for only 6wks!! I just sat in the IS an hour ago, and my leg still hurts... POS Lexus. Luxury and comfort my a$$

I have to admit, I traded in a perfectly good 2005 TSX for the IS; I need the AWD for the snowy winters and unplowed backroads. Other than the lack of AWD in the TSX, it was an EXCELLENT car.

I'm aware of the financial losses for such a move, but life is too short to stay a pissed off Lexus man forever. Must move on...

So I'm curious to know how those of you driving the TL w/SH-AWD are doing? Is there an annoying BUMP in middle console area?

I'm 5'11". How tall are you guys/gals? How are your leg and feet doing after short and long drives? How are your lower backs; is there good lumbar support for the driver and passenger? How about the passengers in the passenger seat and rear seats?

My other choices are the sedans Infiniti G37x and the BMW 3 xi series (which I do not favor due to reliability issues). I must admit I like the G37x from the get go, excellent power and engine. Either the G or the TL appear to have better comfort than the IS. What your guys/gals opinions?

Also in terms of reliability, the Acura TSX has awesome reliability; I expect the same in the TL. Any reliability issues with the TL (not that I expect any)?
If your in pain, do it. TL will be much more comfy!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is250 is def too small for a lot of people especially if you want to carry passengers in the back :\
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation, but I will say I am 6' and the way the 4G TL dash curves to the center console hits my right leg and at times can be annoying, I almost did not get the car becasue of it, the 3G TL had a much wider opening there. This strictly seems to be cometic as there is nothing behind the bulging curve, I wish they woudl open that area back up again, I also wish the hand brake curved inward more, it almost hits my leg as well.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL
Sorry to hear about your situation, but I will say I am 6' and the way the 4G TL dash curves to the center console hits my right leg and at times can be annoying, I almost did not get the car becasue of it, the 3G TL had a much wider opening there. This strictly seems to be cometic as there is nothing behind the bulging curve, I wish they woudl open that area back up again, I also wish the hand brake curved inward more, it almost hits my leg as well.
This is good feedback. Thx, it's what I'm looking for.

Coming from the 1G TSX, I found it to have excellent comfort and driving position. Only neg to me was lack of lumbar support, which was giving me lower back aches after awhile; the IS has good lumbar support (which was what I was looking for), but it never occurred for me to look for a "BUMP" in the center console.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Instructor

I have both, Wife bought the Lexus and i went with the TL. The TL has since converted her and now she drives the TL whenever she can. We have since put the Lexus up for sale but not for the same reasons as docboy. Ours is due to the mirror shake issue that Lexus has been unable to fix on the IS series since 06 and 07. It continues to plague the 09s as well and its so bad that the moonroof is useless. The service department sucks just as bad but i dont want to speak for all lexus service departments. The TL has stiffer suspension than the IS and there is way more power in the TL, along with more techincal options ( comparing a non nav to a non nav in both cars). The hit for the short sell is going to suck. Sorry to hear about your situation but i feel your pain.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Forgot to add this....

I test drove the following cars before falling in love with the TL

BMW - Didnt waste my time - all their cars look the same.
Audi A4 - nice car - too expensive for the size
Mercedes Benz - C300 - Biggest piece a crap on the lot. Very flighty.
Infinity G37X - Liked the car - looked way too much like my 2007 Altima inside.
Linclon MKS - Good power - flighty steering - felt like a boat going around corners.
Lexus ES350 - Great ride - lack of power
Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCBBUUMM
I have both, Wife bought the Lexus and i went with the TL. The TL has since converted her and now she drives the TL whenever she can. We have since put the Lexus up for sale but not for the same reasons as docboy. Ours is due to the mirror shake issue that Lexus has been unable to fix on the IS series since 06 and 07. It continues to plague the 09s as well and its so bad that the moonroof is useless. The service department sucks just as bad but i dont want to speak for all lexus service departments. The TL has stiffer suspension than the IS and there is way more power in the TL, along with more techincal options ( comparing a non nav to a non nav in both cars). The hit for the short sell is going to suck. Sorry to hear about your situation but i feel your pain.
Sorry about your annoyance with the IS; not a pretty site when one is angry at a $40k purchase. It is my humble opinion that Lexus is selling their name and name only. Aside from their RX (which my wife has and loves, but is essentially a Highlander), most of their models are nothing more than an over priced pretty face.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by CCBBUUMM
I have not owned a Lexus, but had owned numerous Toyota's dating back to 1989 and can say that over the years you can easily see how Toyota has cut costs and taken short cuts. They are cashing in on their name brand. I owned a 2007 Camry Hybrid that interior build quailty and fit and finish was worse than some America cars I have seen and my Camry was built in Japan, not KY.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Olu
Instructor

I'm 6' and 175lbs on a good day.

Drove the IS and felt it was too small, especially in the back seat which was useless for my 8 and 4 year old, let alone another adult. Ride was smoother then the TL, handling worse. Love the look.

G37, faster then the TL and track numbers have it handling better then the TL. In real life, the TL's handling felt more stable and confidence inspiring. The G was initially my 1st choice, but it felt too cramped up front (worse then the IS). My legs rubbed on both sides and I couldn't even get to the door pockets.

The TL fits nicely. I don't noticed either the center console or the door impinging on my space. Sh-awd seats are amazing! Great lumbar support and nice side bolsters. For the price, nothing comes close IMO.

Good luck! Lexus has definitely made their cars prettier, but quality has serious dropped in the last generation.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Olu
I'm 6' and 175lbs on a good day.

Drove the IS and felt it was too small, especially in the back seat which was useless for my 8 and 4 year old, let alone another adult. Ride was smoother then the TL, handling worse. Love the look.

G37, faster then the TL and track numbers have it handling better then the TL. In real life, the TL's handling felt more stable and confidence inspiring. The G was initially my 1st choice, but it felt too cramped up front (worse then the IS). My legs rubbed on both sides and I couldn't even get to the door pockets.

The TL fits nicely. I don't noticed either the center console or the door impinging on my space. Sh-awd seats are amazing! Great lumbar support and nice side bolsters. For the price, nothing comes close IMO.

Good luck! Lexus has definitely made their cars prettier, but quality has serious dropped in the last generation.
So I test drove the TL-AWD yesterday. Night and day difference. Very front comfortable fronts, no annoying BUMP in the middle console on the driver's side. I felt very comfortable in the cockpit, didn't feel cramped up, and actually felt "free."

There is a very LITTLE small protrusion in the middle console on the passenger's side, more towards the left knee area, but still very comfy.
Overall cabin is much roomier and comfy than the IS, and the G as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wat about a mdx?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
wat about a mdx?
You read my mind.

My original intent was on getting a MDX. Actually negotiated for one, but since I didn't get the deal I wanted, I walked and never came back b/c the sales staff ticked me off. My wife already has a RX SUV, and I figure we didn't need 2 SUVs anyways and I tend to like driving sedans more than SUVs.

Since then, the sales staff here has completely turned over.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Every time I see an IS, I scratch my head wondering how anyone can fit inside that car, front seat OR back.

It's got such a tiny cabin.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The TL has always been more of a mid sized, your other options are all smaller entry level vehicles. The IS is the smallest and the CTS the largest in that group and the only other similarly priced vehicle that comes close to being a mid sized. The TL may not seem to have much more interior room in comparison on paper but it also has much larger seating surfaces which makes a huge difference. Go by overall size, interior dimensions and volumes never tell the whole story. It is just as comfortable for passengers in the TL as it is for the driver and one of the best in this regard. Most people think it is not that important but you will never have to make any adjustment to accommodate rear passengers, even if you sit fairly reclined. You really cant do that with anything smaller.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
The TL has always been more of a mid sized, your other options are all smaller entry level vehicles. The IS is the smallest and the CTS the largest in that group and the only other similarly priced vehicle that comes close to being a mid sized. The TL may not seem to have much more interior room in comparison on paper but it also has much larger seating surfaces which makes a huge difference. Go by overall size, interior dimensions and volumes never tell the whole story. It is just as comfortable for passengers in the TL as it is for the driver and one of the best in this regard. Most people think it is not that important but you will never have to make any adjustment to accommodate rear passengers, even if you sit fairly reclined. You really cant do that with anything smaller.
Yup!!!

Comparing it to the interior room in the M-B GLK (C-class based SUV) the differences are nothing short of dramatic. The GLK is positively cramped in all directions (front to back and side to side) and there's no rear seat room at all. The TL almost has as much room as a Lincoln Town car.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Docboy - forget the TL; have you considered the new TSX instead? It is WAY better looking, and provided you purchase a separate set of dedicated winter tires, should be able to handle almost any winter conditions you experience (I drive in snow a lot). I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, and it is the most comfortable car I have ever owned (test drove an IS250 AWD and it too narrow / not enough head room).
Old 07-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Advanced

I crossed the IS off my list when I looked at it at the auto show. I'm about 6' and I don't see anyone being able to sit behind me. Even though 90% of the time I'm the only one in the car I still want the back seat to be useable for when I do want to carry people. I couldn't believe how small the cabin is. Same thing with the Infiniti FX.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Every time I see an IS, I scratch my head wondering how anyone can fit inside that car, front seat OR back.

It's got such a tiny cabin.
Im 5'8" and don't have a problem when the seats are all the way back in the lexus. I like to ride higher in the car and move the seats up as high as i can get them and have plenty of head room. Dont get me wrong, its a nice car. The TL is way more roomy and feels better. Its not in the same class either. The TSX is more the IS's class. My wife's girlfriends think the TL is sexier and beg her to take that on her nights out.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by tsxcisa
Docboy - forget the TL; have you considered the new TSX instead? It is WAY better looking, and provided you purchase a separate set of dedicated winter tires, should be able to handle almost any winter conditions you experience (I drive in snow a lot). I'm 6'4" and 205lbs, and it is the most comfortable car I have ever owned (test drove an IS250 AWD and it too narrow / not enough head room).
I agree, my old 05 TSX (which I traded for the IS) was a great car (with solid looks). But even with a good set of tires, I wasn't able to drive it well on the snow (my parents 85 Camry did better in the snow than my TSX!). Slid down the driveway and couldn't make it back up, plus slipping and sliding everywhere on the hills and backroads. Fine on straight roads, but anything beyond that I couldn't go anywhere in the winters. IMHO, something about the gearing ratios (at least in the 1G TSX) did not give me any confidence in the snow, hence my desire for AWD. But other than that, it was a great car.